• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare |OT| House of CODs

So tonight at midnight you can't buy the game anywhere unless you have a preorder correct?

You'll probably be able to walk into any store ( 711 included ) at midnight and buy it. Same for tomorrow, but I bet the game will sell out tomorrow at a lot of places, once word gets out that's it's decent.

Damn, the 360 version holds up super well.

Anyone playing on 360 is getting the same great game.

Shame the same couldn't be said about the PS3 version...

If you played Transformers: Fall of Cybertron on PS3, it should come as no suprise that a High Moon game on the PS3 would be a bit of a mixed bag/mess in spots.

ODDI

Just watched some 360 gameplay, looks pretty solid the team behind the port did a good job.

LeMaximilian

Alligator F*ck House
Not kidding when I say my PS4 version coming tomorrow will be going back as a result of your review. I hate having no choke points.

The honeymoon effect is fantastic, you'll really love the first hour. After you start playing a bunch, stuff starts to stick out fairly quick. I was lone wolfing the whole time also.

Netcode seemed okay at first, until it's totally against you...like usual in past few CODs (MW3 and BO2 especially). Either in your favor, or totally not.

Oh dear god. This is the very reason I stopped playing MW3 and BO2. The godawful netcode that always seemed to favor everyone but me. This is so disappointing to hear. I'll reserve judgement for when I get to play it, but this is not sounding good. :(

The honeymoon effect is fantastic, you'll really love the first hour. After you start playing a bunch, stuff starts to stick out fairly quick. I was lone wolfing the whole time also.

COD4, MW2, BO, and BO2 had the best map design for me. I felt like I could have a chance at defending a position or watching my back. I hated the MW3/GHOSTS maps and spawn system because you'd shot in the back all the damn time and it didn't reward decent tactical awareness. If AW is like MW3 and Ghosts then I won't be playing it. Sad.

LeMaximilian

Alligator F*ck House
COD4, MW2, BO, and BO2 had the best map design for me. I felt like I could have a chance at defending a position or watching my back. I hated the MW3/GHOSTS and spawn system because you'd shot in the back all the damn time and it didn't reward decent tactical awareness. If AW is like MW3 and Ghosts then I won't be playing it. Sad.

Completely agree with you. I still think every map in MW2 is fantastic and the maps are more critical to COD than anything else. The map design isn't like MW3 or Ghosts, I can say that. There is some classic 3 lane stuff going on in AW. The problem is the exo jump/boost completely remove 'lanes'. They don't really exist, as you can just hop over a wall with ease.

axb2013

yes you can hoover for like 2-3 seconds with a exo power that you equip
and yes there is cloak but it doesnt last long and you can still see them very well, also a exo power that you must equip

Thank you, that's a relief. He made it sound like it's a thing you can do all the time.

BokehKing

Banned
MW3 and Ghosts hurt brand, not MW2. Community hurt MW2 with all of their exploits and noob-tube bullshit. AW is the step that COD needed and what is more interesting is, that Treyarch and Sledgehammer Games are stepping it up, instead of IW in recent years.

This is how Mw2 Hurt the brand, you went from 3 kill streaks to what.. 18?

10 of them being in the air, which kept your eyes off the ground (where you should have been fighting)

Marathron/sprint/commando lunge was horrible

Oma/noob tube

Scavenger/noob tube/claymore

No skill stacking killstreaks (if you managed to camp out 5 kills you can get a chopper gunner through predator/harrier)

Let's not forget all the broken 1887's
JAVELIN glitch
Unlimited ammo glitch (included noob tubes)
Care package glitch...

Coming from COD4 it could be calling nothing more than 'jumping the shark'

Tizoc

Do you have a coupon code?

I can use the 23% discount code, but I don't have a 25% code. Thing is...I can't use my amex card with GMG and can only use my bank account's card and I am currently on a tight budget sadly ^^;

I mainly want it for the SP campaign and dat Stacey, the MP would be a bonus.

This will be my first CoD played from the start without remote controls. I sure do miss them :-/

But I'm excited for this game! See some of you tonight!

P.S. Can someone define noobtube for me? I'm an out of touch old person.

Lulubop

This is how Mw2 Hurt the brand, you went from 3 kill streaks to what.. 18?

10 of them being in the air, which kept your eyes off the ground (where you should have been fighting)

Marathron/sprint/commando lunge was horrible

Oma/noob tube

Scavenger/noob tube/claymore

No skill stacking killstreaks (if you managed to camp out 5 kills you can get a chopper gunner through predator/harrier)

Let's not forget all the broken 1887's
JAVELIN glitch
Unlimited ammo glitch (included noob tubes)
Care package glitch...

Coming from COD4 it could be calling nothing more than 'jumping the shark'

Danger close was also really strong, and Shotguns were stronger than ever in addition to being secondary. All this bullshit made Modern Warfare 2 the Best Call of Duty, yea the best.

M.W.

Weird, seems most streamers are digging it the more they play.

Hip Hop

Completely agree with you. I still think every map in MW2 is fantastic and the maps are more critical to COD than anything else. The map design isn't like MW3 or Ghosts, I can say that. There is some classic 3 lane stuff going on in AW. The problem is the exo jump/boost completely remove 'lanes'. They don't really exist, as you can just hop over a wall with ease.

Well, there is that classic playlists that removes the abilites.

Maps saved MW2 for me, and you could have fun as long as you didn't take it seriously, because that game had a ton of exploits.

So far, no platform has dedi's.

Damn shame...
Seems like a lot of migrations from stream I've seen and reports on here.

It seems strange to regress on the huge step Ghosts took in that regard. The only time I saw a migration in that game on PS4 was when they released the first batch of DLC and forgot to enable the servers on it.

I mean you can shit on Ghosts if you didn't like how it played and the map design but the connection was really stable - without doubt the best COD in terms of the network side.

Unless they plan in phasing the servers in slowly to avoid meltdown at launch. Pretty sure they claimed they would have them and would give more info nearer the time - but I don't think they ever did.

Your experience kinda cements what I have been seeing on the streams. Shoot somebody, then get popped as everybody is everywhere.

Ugh, on the one hand. I haven't played a COD since BO and I felt hyped for AW, but now I am not so sure if I should just put the money towards MCC and save myself a few bucks.

Just an update from earlier guys. Honeymoon phase ended around level 25.

The game is frantic as fk. Nowhere is safe. Enjoyed it at 1st, but ends up being exhausting/frustrating. Streaks are ineffective and end up taking a long ass time to acquire (feels a lot like Ghosts). I enjoy powerful streaks, but if you like Ghosts you'll probably like this.

The pump action shotgun is awful. I don't see why Shotguns can't just be decent weapons in these games. Triple burst rifles are impossible when your jump boosting everywhere. Good luck managing that on controller. Explosives are also less effective when people can dash/double jump everywhere. Netcode seemed okay at first, until it's totally against you...like usual in past few CODs (MW3 and BO2 especially). Either in your favor, or totally not.

After spending a few hours, I was really impressed at first, but then found the game just difficult to play. There's no real choke points as anyone can jump boost through anything at any time. There's around a 1 sec cooldown to the boost itself, so guys are constantly dashing everywhere. Be ready to up your sensitivity a couple notches if you're a default player like myself. Most matches are generally low kill amounts, and getting over a 1 KD is doing pretty damn good in this game(could also be a TDM thing).

I'll keep playing to see if it gets better. You'll all probably have mixed opinions when you play it. This makes me realize how I'd prefer COD to go back to formula, but instead focus on fun instead of hard balance. BO2 did this great, except for the awful netcode which is why I stopped playing.

Hmm, this doesn't sound too encouraging. At least it's putting my hype in check.

I really hope this plays nothing like ghosts. I remember the devs saying they specifically created the maps to make choke points. But I see what you're saying with it being difficult given the abilities.

That is something I noticed with the streams, a lot of people running around instead of migrating to one or two dense areas, although it does usually take some time for everyone to get into that vibe and learn the choke points. We'll see, thanks for the impressions.

Future strafing but they got rid of the lean that was added to Blops 2 >_>

TSK TSK TSK
You mean Ghosts, unless you had some super version of BO2 I didn't have :p

Lean was kinda annoying in all honesty - and I quite liked Ghosts, but it was very difficult to defend against a leaner.

Leaning is nice to check corners though. Lean to view but not shoot would be a nice trade-off.

Brooks2304

Neo Member
So seems like no dedicated servers for PS4 so far? Is the netcode really that bad from what I have been reading or likely still needing a day one update?

You mean Ghosts, unless you had some super version of BO2 I didn't have :p

Lean was kinda annoying in all honesty - and I quite liked Ghosts, but it was very difficult to defend against a leaner.

Leaning is nice to check corners though. Lean to view but not shoot would be a nice trade-off.
It was in the PC version of Blops 2

I really like how High Moon blurs your vision during the countdown timer so you don't see the textures loading in.

It's sort of clever.

At in-laws want to get home to play sunset overdrive as I know this game will take over my life for a while

Sucks the shotguns don't seem good. I like having them as a back up sometimes with a sniper rifle.

What are the sniper rifles like? And the choices in scopes (c'mon thermal scope)

Octavia

Unconfirmed Member
How are the maps in this one because that always ends up being the biggest factor?

Is there anything like:
-Overgrown
-Derail
-Seilo
Or anything memorable/interesting at all?

or is it just
-Maze like Bland industrial complex
-Maze like Bland industrial complex with snow textures
-Maze like Bland industrial complex with grass textures
-Maze like Ruined city streets
-Maze like Ruined city streets with a courtyard

like most games have gone to these days?

Shady859

Having a blast with this, stayed up late and got in the zone last night on Kill Confirmed with randoms. Looking forward to fresh blood tonight so i'll prolly be up late again even though I gotta be up at 6am for work lol.

Did the clans from Ghost carry over? I haven't looked into that at all, we gotta get a GAF party running.

To the poster above the maps are nothing special so far. Lots of bid and wide with up/down confrontations all over the place. I'd drop whatever they asked for a classic DLC pack with all the old maps and original playstyles on each. Just name a price........ Hopefully the Halo collection is a incredible success and CoD folks take notice.

CozMick

Banned
So seems like no dedicated servers for PS4 so far? Is the netcode really that bad from what I have been reading or likely still needing a day one update?

The game isnt officially released, the matchmaking will be struggling to find players in the same region, lag will be awful.

There are no dedicated servers on any platform (yet?)

LeMaximilian

Alligator F*ck House
How are the maps in this one because that always ends up being the biggest factor?

Is there anything like:
-Overgrown
-Derail
-Seilo
Or anything memorable/interesting at all?

or is it just
-Maze like Bland industrial complex
-Maze like Bland industrial complex with snow textures
-Maze like Bland industrial complex with grass textures
-Maze like Ruined city streets
-Maze like Ruined city streets with a courtyard

like most games have gone to these days?

The maps do kinda lack personality. Feels like they're inbetween Ghosts/BO2. Not one that gets me amped yet.

Just an update from earlier guys. Honeymoon phase ended around level 25.

The game is frantic as fk. Nowhere is safe. Enjoyed it at 1st, but ends up being exhausting/frustrating. Streaks are ineffective and end up taking a long ass time to acquire (feels a lot like Ghosts). I enjoy powerful streaks, but if you like Ghosts you'll probably like this.

The pump action shotgun is awful. I don't see why Shotguns can't just be decent weapons in these games. Triple burst rifles are impossible when your jump boosting everywhere. Good luck managing that on controller. Explosives are also less effective when people can dash/double jump everywhere. Netcode seemed okay at first, until it's totally against you...like usual in past few CODs (MW3 and BO2 especially). Either in your favor, or totally not.

After spending a few hours, I was really impressed at first, but then found the game just difficult to play. There's no real choke points as anyone can jump boost through anything at any time. There's around a 1 sec cooldown to the boost itself, so guys are constantly dashing everywhere. Be ready to up your sensitivity a couple notches if you're a default player like myself. Most matches are generally low kill amounts, and getting over a 1 KD is doing pretty damn good in this game(could also be a TDM thing).

I'll keep playing to see if it gets better. You'll all probably have mixed opinions when you play it. This makes me realize how I'd prefer COD to go back to formula, but instead focus on fun instead of hard balance. BO2 did this great, except for the awful netcode which is why I stopped playing.

So basically the game is really frantic, you cant camp, and exo suits give you a big advantage. This didn't kill my hype. Except for the lag compensation stuff, that sucks, but was expected.

I haven't played Call of Duty since Mw2. Beyond the obvious new features in this game (exo suites), has there been any features added since MW2 that greatly change the way the game is played?

There's the occasional bit where you have to do a big jump, where your Ai partner will helpfully remind you to use your exo suit. It's all mostly optional, barring a few levels near the end where the hookshot is used a lot.
That's a damn shame. The big hook of the game and they don't even use it enough for the big budget campaign. It's like if in Wolfenstein The New Order, you could only use dual wielding or all the cool weapons for just certain parts of levels. At least the MP looks more interesting because of the traversal.

Brooks2304

Neo Member
The game isnt officially released, the matchmaking will be struggling to find players in the same region, lag will be awful.

There are no dedicated servers on any platform (yet?)

That's what I figured. After announcing dedicated servers there hasn't been any more news on the issue that I've seen, probably going to end up being the same system as Ghosts I figure.

Top Bottom