• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare |OT| House of CODs

I don't get how the RW1 isn't a one-shot kill at all ranges for how inaccurate it is and how long its reload time it. I think it has the most idle sway of any pistol.

Well, I'll be going back to BO2 next week. Not because I hate this game, rather because DAI comes out and my wife will be playing it first (she is a super-RPGer). So I'll be on my PS3, if anyone wants to play some BO2 next week just hit me up.

Just got good old MW2 for PC, just for shits and giggles. It occurred to me that, even with a crappy p2p connection with 200+ ping, this game is more consistent than AW.

It really is. I mean it's not like MW2 has incredible netcode, but it's better than almost every CoD to come out after (I can't speak on Ghosts). Even now, a three bar game on MW2 feels better than a four bar game on AW.

SMZC

Putting this up for sale tomorrow. I tried the update, I can at least reload properly now instead of wasting two thirds of my magazine's ammo, but the game is just boring and plain stupid.

Also, the more I play, the more I dislike the exo-movement mechanics. I was really looking forward to seeing a game changer in the series, so when this was first talked about I was very open about the idea. I wanted it to be good and to effectively change how COD is played. This so-called "innovation", though, is definitely for the worse. In my opinion, it doesn't work as it should. It's not properly integrated and balanced. I complained in a previous post of mine about how short-sighted it was to limit this supposed core game mechanic by making every exo movement appear on the radar; I also complained about how the series' extremely low time to kill hindered the capabilities of exo movement. But those are not even the main problems.

The problem is how stupid and awkward these new movements make confrontations now. Chances are, if you stumble upon an enemy from the front, he will jump. The end result is a moment of awkward confusion where your target suddenly leaves your sights and is way up in the air, and you can never quite tell where exactly. It's not like things are any different for your opponent either. Even though he decided to make the move, you also left his line of sight, and though he will try to reacquire you as a target, he will have just as difficult a time doing so. This is only aggravated by several other factors. First, this is a series that is mostly played on consoles. Console FPSs are just not as good at precise and fast aiming, that's a fact of life. Secondly, the control scheme is garbage. This is a game where a lot of the time you are supposed to be jumping, aiming and shooting at the same time, yet the only available control schemes force you to take the finger off the aiming stick each and every time that you want to make a jump. For a game that makes of jumping such a core game mechanic, this is downright idiotic.

I know this comparison has been made a million times before, but Titanfall really is the perfect example of how COD with more freedom of movement should be. Jumping is more fluid, controllable and offers more possibilities, gameplay-wise. The maps in Titanfall are quite big, as opposed to AW's tiny, close quarters-focused maps, confrontations tend to happen from further away, and the jumping mechanics are not so sudden, or so quick; this all contributes to creating less situations of the annoying kind I described above in AW. All in all, Titanfall is an FPS whose core gameplay was made with complete awareness of the advantages and disadvantages of what it means to be a console FPS, just as Goldeneye, Halo and COD4 before. Ironically, even though AW comes from a series that has, for a long time, made of consoles its main staying place, as a console shooter it really just doesn't work as well.

Diamond challenges are completely borked now. Even with weapons that had no camos unlocked before presitiging before the patch. I have three camos unlocked for the RW1, which I only just started using today, and the Diamond camo says 1/7 complete.

Has anyone else encounter people behind the glass door on the map Horizon?

15614237177_4d44e5b294_c.jpg

This person was behind it for at least 3/4 the match. I was able to get some rounds in them but never able to kill. But they were able to kill me just fine.

EDIT: Its a glitch, just go prone and slide on in.

15614036758_ea2cebde43_c.jpg

15614612280_b7a1b8f054_c.jpg

Cavalier

Banned
I have both
Believe it or not, ps4 version is a lot less laggy than the x1 version

I want to throw my controller through a window when playing on x1, it hurts my eyes to see the game run like it's chugging along at 30 for or something (at times not all the time, but it pissess me off)

Never had that happen on my X1. Been smooth as butter since day zero here! No lag. No framerate dips. Just awesome. :)

PS4 version however, I've seen some severe lags while watching my friend play on his.

Who has both xbo and ps4 versions? Which do you prefer and why?

I would get the game on whichever platform most of your friends are playing. If you really care about technicalities, go check out the digital foundry article.

rainy_day

So I decided to run through the campaign today.
I just finished the final mission and my end game trophies did not pop on ps4.
When I go into missions it says Fission is the last one I played.
When I click on resume story it takes me to the start of the last mission.

Not sure what to do, I am tempted to try and select fission to see if that gets them all to unlock, but that would screw me if they patch it and I could just resume on the last mission.

Activison chat support is useless atm.

PSYGN

I'm sure it's been done but I'd just like to take a second to whine about forced skill-based matchmaking in regular, non-ranked mode. It's all well and good when I feel like putting my tryhard pants on, but if I just want to chill and dork around with sub-standard, less competitive loadouts, not only is it annoying for me, but it makes me a shitty teammate. Blah :(

I'm 2kdr and 310spm in TDM. My Internet does not connect well with other people in other cities and states (I tend to lag slightly when I do), but locally it does really well with 30 to 50ms ping. What this game does with skill based matchmaking is forcing me into a lobby with other skilled players, which in itself as an idea isn't bad, but boy does my connection flop hard. I skip frames and teleport back and forth with these people. It's infuriating.

So yesterday I made two trial PSN accounts. Guess what? Connection was buttery smooth on both and I was playing with a mix of good and bad players, the usual lobby I would get in other CoD games. On both accounts my guy was eventually booted from the lobby and placed into the same lobby my main account kept getting stuck with. The lowest kdr in the room was 1.34, and highest at 3kdr (checked with codtracker), with many middling around 1.5kdr. It's not normal when every lobby averages around 1.5kdr, especially in this game. And having a better connection in CoD:Ghosts and Destiny, I know for sure that there is skill prioritizing in matchmaking going on as it's forcing a match against a small pool of connectable skilled players.

The game also had the nerve to pin me at 4 bars as I skipped around -- yeah, whatever. If they don't get rid of this dumb skill based matchmaking system in a month or two (you'd think they would know better after CoD:Black Ops 2), then this will be the first CoD game I trade in. When it's working it's fun to play, but this game is giving me the short end of the stick.

Played through the campaign. By far the most forgettable and bland campaign in the series and that's including Cod3. I can't believe how bad the scripting is. There's so much waiting and knowing exactly what the games trying to do. Then you got Spacey giving the most one note performance possible. I wish I could say something about the MP but I couldn't convince myself to try it this time. Definitely trading this in tomorrow while the cred is still high.

biteren

I don't get how the RW1 isn't a one-shot kill at all ranges for how inaccurate it is and how long its reload time it. I think it has the most idle sway of any pistol.

Well, I'll be going back to BO2 next week. Not because I hate this game, rather because DAI comes out and my wife will be playing it first (she is a super-RPGer). So I'll be on my PS3, if anyone wants to play some BO2 next week just hit me up.

im down, add me

PSN: straymblaster

hunchback

Does anyone feel like some MP? I will log on at midnight pacific time. I'm on the Xbone clan. GT is DblTap I have a mic also. I'm a disabled gamer and not very good but I promise to try hard. I hope to see some Gaf friends in 45 minutes.

Daffy Duck

The new update has made it worse.

Nothing but French/Spanish/Dutch /any other mainland Europe player, and guess what....they're untouchable. Hitmarkers galore they then waste me in one go.

Skill based matchmaking needs to go, it has no place in pubs, especially when we have ranked playlists.

I backed out of 4 lobbies the other night, and everytime i found a new game it put me back in the lobby I left, I backed out a 5th time messed around in the barracks for and on my character for like two minutes then found a game and guess what, it put me in the very game I left before it started....thanks skill based matchmaking, they must have been the only 11 people playing hard point.

I must say the campaign surprised me quite a bit. The visuals were amazing at times and I was actually surprised at the IQ.

The gameplay was good too, they found ways to mix things up here and there.

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
They overhauled the sound design in this iteration, sounds vastly improved to me. All the previous ones sounded like rubbish though.

It still sounds like shit truthfully. Even if its supposed to be "future guns" they still sound like squirrel farts.

leng jai

It still sounds like shit truthfully. Even if its supposed to be "future guns" they still sound like squirrel farts.

The guns sounds significantly better, approaching battlefield standards. It reminds me lot of MOHAA 2010. There must be something wrong with your set up or by your standards 90% of shooters have shitty sounding guns.

tapedeck

Do I win a prize for talking about my penis on the Internet???
I also got this for Xbox one as part of Targets buy 2 get 1 free deal. I wanted sunset overdrive but it was sold out everywhere so AW was a backup.

So it's sitting on my table unopened, the impressions in here are all over the fucking place not sure if I should try it or just wait and exchange it for SO or Smash next week...

I also got this for Xbox as part of Targets buy 2 get 1 free deal. I wanted sunset overdrive but it was sold out everywhere so AW was a backup.

So it's sitting on my table unopened, the impressions in here are all over the fucking place not sure if I should try it or just wait and exchange it for SO or Smash next week...

If you were previously a cod fan give it a chance..if not don't bother lol

I'd like to trade this poor excuse of a game in but I don't even know what I would do with the credit. Already played most games out. Sunset doesn't look worth it. Far Cry doesn't look like it has great MP.

That's the sad state of games right now.

Played through the campaign. By far the most forgettable and bland campaign in the series and that's including Cod3. I can't believe how bad the scripting is. There's so much waiting and knowing exactly what the games trying to do. Then you got Spacey giving the most one note performance possible. I wish I could say something about the MP but I couldn't convince myself to try it this time. Definitely trading this in tomorrow while the cred is still high.

It's hilarious how often I see people throw praise on Specey's performance as the best part, when he reads every line in a bored monotone. You can picture him in the sound booth just staring off into the middle distance and rattling them off.

T.O.P

Banned
I'd like to trade this poor excuse of a game in but I don't even know what I would do with the credit. Already played most games out. Sunset doesn't look worth it. Far Cry doesn't look like it has great MP.

Sunset IS worth it, a lot

Anyway...i might need to try some other modes other than TDM at some point lol

Finally got to call my first Goliath today D: wish my K/D was more consisten, it felt sooooo good lol

geordiemp

The probem with this game, like every other COD, is it eventually grows into a camp fest.

Give people ability to hide from radar at all times and stay still, and they will camp.

Cant camp in rooms no more, no IED, no claymore etc.....

So people camp up high on roofs, ledges, and head glitch down on other players.

Worst example is RIOT, players on roofs can spawn kill using head glitch spawning players at the back of the map.

Worst map I have ever seen in any COD.

Add the fact that most players lie down now, they look dead, great move Sledge hammer noobs.

So I often have lobbies with all players lying down on roofs...playing dead...

Its worse than Ghosts Guile suits sitting in bushes.

Are these devs just daft or plain stupid ?

Still getting lag, Ps4, 40 M up, 80 M down, ping 15 ms, London

vesvci

Banned
I have both
Believe it or not, ps4 version is a lot less laggy than the x1 version

I want to throw my controller through a window when playing on x1, it hurts my eyes to see the game run like it's chugging along at 30 for or something (at times not all the time, but it pissess me off)

I actually got a chance to play AW on the XBO a few hours ago (gifted it to someone) and I'd agree with this assessment. The XBO version does "seem" laggy, and the ping meters at the end of the matches fluctuates a lot more than the PS4.

Also, the looser sticks of the XBO controller make it seem slower, but could just be my perception. In contrast, the PS4 feels faster paced.

vesvci

Banned
I also got this for Xbox one as part of Targets buy 2 get 1 free deal. I wanted sunset overdrive but it was sold out everywhere so AW was a backup.

It's a good game and a lot of fun. It has its issues, but hopefully Sledgehammer can iron most of them out with time. It has the potential to be an incredible game, if they fix the glitches and crap.

Korezo

Trade or sell it, this is the worst cod game. I don't why I keep buying these damn shit games.

I've been playing a bunch of big AAA games from EA and Activision lately, because I hadn't in so long and they are actually a novelty to me now. All I can say is

*host migration*

Also, it cracks me up that we can't get dedicated servers for like any game from these companies, but we don't even get the benefits of them being truly p2p. The servers are always down, they can shut the game down for good soon after release.

Joey Ravn

Banned

Well, I thought it was entertaining, at least. It's pretty fast paced and I never felt that it had become a chore. Of course, it's not top-notch, 100% quality, but for a CoD campaign it's not that bad. Ghosts was so bad it was almost offensive.

Randam

It really is. I mean it's not like MW2 has incredible netcode, but it's better than almost every CoD to come out after (I can't speak on Ghosts). Even now, a three bar game on MW2 feels better than a four bar game on AW.

oh yes.
never had a good connection.
1meg, now 2 down, so only 3 bars for me, but I always knew when I would win a gun fight.
now it is sooo random..

Trade or sell it, this is the worst cod game. I don't why I keep buying these damn shit games.
Ditto. Swap it for SSO once it's in stock. This is candidly the worst game in the series. If this is what a 3 year dev cycle means, were in big trouble.

Please Activision, just give us a MW HD collection.

Kill Confirmed is a really cool mode imo. Might make it my default mode going forward

Think using the 'Use a Primary Weapon in your Secondary slot' Wildcard should take like 3 of the slots. Pretty much confirms that I'm never going to even try using the Secondaries

Seems like everyone struggles to get good scorestreaks. And when you get the good air supports, the maps are very cramped, with a lot of indoor areas rendering them pretty ineffective

Also, the System Hack thing really shouldn't be that big, or take so much time to leave. I'm not sure if its intentional, but it pretty much makes you blind aside from the periphery for a good 3 seconds

Honestly, I'm really enjoying it, but it seems a bit bloated compared to MW2. the maps seem to favour just running around like an idiot more as well, whereas in MW2 map control seemed more important. Maybe it just takes some time to learn the good spots though.

Kill Confirmed is a really cool mode imo. Might make it my default mode going forward

Think using the 'Use a Primary Weapon in your Secondary slot' Wildcard should take like 3 of the slots. Pretty much confirms that I'm never going to even try using the Secondaries

Seems like everyone struggles to get good scorestreaks. And when you get the good air supports, the maps are very cramped, with a lot of indoor areas rendering them pretty ineffective

Also, the System Hack thing really shouldn't be that big, or take so much time to leave. I'm not sure if its intentional, but it pretty much makes you blind aside from the periphery for a good 3 seconds

Honestly, I'm really enjoying it, but it seems a bit bloated compared to MW2. the maps seem to favour just running around like an idiot more as well, whereas in MW2 map control seemed more important. Maybe it just takes some time to learn the good spots though.

I agree. That graphic shouldn't come back on your screen when you die as well. I hate it with a passion.

tapedeck

Do I win a prize for talking about my penis on the Internet???
Thanks for the responces guys, you definitely helped me decide. I'm gonna exchange it for SSO or maybe Smash if that's comes in first. I'm really not a huge CoD fan anyway.

ptuck874

got through 5 sets (25 rounds each) on like round 13 of the 6th set of exo survival last night, 3 hours long, was a blast, but is the zombie mode something that will drop later? we were rolling and i was thinking we were going to see some zombies :(

got through 5 sets (25 rounds each) on like round 13 of the 6th set of exo survival last night, 3 hours long, was a blast, but is the zombie mode something that will drop later? we were rolling and i was thinking we were going to see some zombies :(

Last I heard was you'll only get a Zombies mode if you buy the season pass

Cavalier

Banned
This game sold over 7 million copies to date on all platforms. Not too bad. I would say this exo movement isn't for everybody. People who just want old COD have to resort to playing BO2 to play until Treyarch drops the bomb next year. I can't wait for that either.

Gorillaz

When it comes to FPS MP its honestly scary how bare the outlook is. At least on consoles. I feel like no one really knows what they are doing.

GenericUser

Multiplayer is not as hectic as BO2, but random as hell. The only weapon worth a shit is the BAL and enemies simply won't die sometimes.

Getting shot in the back costantly, but thats nothing new in the cod universe.

Right now, I seriously cannot decide if I'll push onwords till I eventually git gud in the MP or if I just spend my precious time with something more "productive".

Important plus for me would be if sledgehammer could align the action on screen more with what you see in the killcam.

Top Bottom