• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Call of Duty: Black Ops II |OT| Black to the Future

QP3

Any chance the Microsoft store will get more in stock? I want to pre order from them to get the points but they say they are out of stock...

Mileena

Banned
I don't feel like looking through a bunch of vids but does anyone have impressions on the maps? Preferably from someone who thought MW3 maps were shit because I really really really hated that pos.

I don't feel like looking through a bunch of vids but does anyone have impressions on the maps? Preferably from someone who thought MW3 maps were shit because I really really really hated that pos.
I thought MW3 maps were shit for the most part. These maps are looking better, it looks like actual thought was put into them in terms of design/choke points/bomb points things like that. Obviously depending on which modes you play. Once again though, treyarch maps have always been generally on the good side, while Infinity Ward maps post COD4 have been on the bad side. Inb4 someone tells me IW didn't do the maps in MW3. Whatever.

Mileena

Banned
I thought MW3 maps were shit for the most part. These maps are looking better, it looks like actual thought was put into them in terms of design/choke points/bomb points things like that. Obviously depending on which modes you play. Once again though, treyarch maps have always been generally on the good side, while Infinity Ward maps post COD4 have been on the bad side. Inb4 someone tells me IW didn't do the maps in MW3. Whatever.

Sounds good then, since I agree with you on IW's maps post-CoD4. MW2 definitely had some great maps but a lot of terrible ones.

what's wrong with mw3 maps? they were all good except 2-3.

They're all poorly designed for shitty players to lurk and shoot people in the back. There was one good map, that construction one.

Very disappointed to hear YouTube is what the internal live streaming link is going to be. YT's live streaming is fucking terrible.

Sounds good then, since I agree with you on IW's maps post-CoD4. MW2 definitely had some great maps but a lot of terrible ones.

They're all poorly designed for shitty players to lurk and shoot people in the back. There was one good map, that construction one.

guys do that in any cod game.it's just the way it is.

Makoto

They're all poorly designed for shitty players to lurk and shoot people in the back.
This is the most questionable opinion I've seen used to substantiate that the MW3 maps were bad.

Edit: Not that I thought the MW3 maps weren't bad, but really, complaining about players lurking behind you in a franchise that has given players every tool to make sure that didn't happen since 2007?

Sojgat

All the MW3 launch maps were pretty awful, the few that were any fun to play were still lifeless, devoid of personality, and mostly lacking identifiable landmarks. I don't know if they were just plain bad, or if they were so over designed that they no longer felt like real environments.

All the MW3 launch maps were pretty awful, the few that were any fun to play were still lifeless, devoid of personality, and mostly lacking identifiable landmarks. I don't know if they were just plain bad, or if they were so over designed that they no longer felt like real environments.

The maps were on the bad side but not awful. A lot of those were enjoyable. Hardhat and Bakaraa were great.

MW3 maps were way too cluttered, few good sightlines, cover that made no sense (burning cars you couldn't even peek over), way too many entrances to any given location, no flow, etc etc etc.

Just horrible.

Xux

Hope we find out if campaign was really the wrong word they should have used when describing the Tranzit mode when it came to Zombies.
I don't remember Treyarch themselves ever saying that. In fact, the last few interviews I've seen they seem to be trying to tell the media not to call it that.

I think the term came from those early hit-or-miss leaks that always pop up.

Judging from the few videos I've seen, Tranzit is just one big zombie map.

Sojgat

The maps were on the bad sad but not awful. A lot of those were enjoyable. Hardhat and Bakaraa were great.

I'd agree that gameplay wise they were amongst the better maps, but Hardhat in particular feels like a space that couldn't exist outside of a video game MP map. Like every other launch map it felt like an artificial loop built inside of a box, and when you set your FPS in a real world environment that isn't a good thing

From the clips I've watched the Black Ops 2 maps look much better, with moving elements, more easily identifiable layouts, etc. They have personality and feel more alive, they're not all tiny, fake feeling kill mazes.

Anyone in US willing to help gift this to me on steam? Can you gift pre orders??

Australia is $99.95 vs $60 and I would love to pre load it.

I can do Paypal first.

Do the weapons have to be leveled up so that you can use attachments or is it like Black Ops were they unlock depending on your level and then you can buy them?

tatsuki

Do the weapons have to be leveled up so that you can use attachments or is it like Black Ops were they unlock depending on your level and then you can buy them?
If i understood the gamespot stream earlier. These things are unlocked through completing challenges. Same for gun camo.

Edit: woohoo Member status

Xux

They have to be the leveled up but the levels don't reset when you prestige your character and unlock the gun again.

You can prestige the gun, though, twice if you want that experience to help you prestige your character.

They have to be the leveled up but the levels don't reset when you prestige your character and unlock the gun again.

You can prestige the gun, though, twice if you want that experience to help you prestige your character.

Yup and mastery is now gold camo.

BeEatNU

WORLDSTAAAAAAR
Very disappointed to hear YouTube is what the internal live streaming link is going to be. YT's live streaming is fucking terrible.

I'm curious to know what option you would chose for an internal render for some 6 year old consoles and still have it be free?

PandaL

Sorry, forgot about that one. I know you already posted.

I'll test it in split screen tomorrow cause the bots are never gonna get a UAV lol. When i was playing before against my brother and bots, he was able to shoot down my chopper (Idr exact name but it's a high killstreak chopper that follows you) It works better than the AH6 too. Anyway i'll get back to you tomorrow on your question.

Thanks.

T-0800

Any reports on the framerate of the PS3 version yet? My purchase hinges on it being as good as the MW games on PS3 and not like the slideshow that was the first BOPs.

Raptor

Any reports on the framerate of the PS3 version yet? My purchase hinges on it being as good as the MW games on PS3 and not like the slideshow that was the first BOPs.
Yeah im hoping for good performance in the Ps3 too.

*crossing fingers*

T-0800

I'm expecting adequate but inferior (to the 360) performance that turns unplayable in splitscreen.

Likely but unacceptable. MW3 on PS3 runs just as well as the 360 version. Less than 1 frame a second difference. Compare that to the first BOps games which had a difference of about 15 frames a second.

Effect

Hope we find out if campaign was really the wrong word they should have used when describing the Tranzit mode when it came to Zombies.

Think I found my answer. Saw a video of the menu to see official in game description. That combined with the other Tranzit video, looks like I was right. It's just survival with you able to move between the maps. Clues tell the story. Perhpas it's my fault. I didn't play Zombies in BO. Just messed around with it and never even saw any of the DLC Perhaps if I had my understanding of campaign in regard to Zombies would have been different. Disappointed but only partly in myself. Campaign is not the word they should have used to describe this.

njean777

they have an optional install I believe, so this may alleviate some of the problems.

Adamm

Amazon UK just emailed me saying it has shipped my order! Hopefully it will get here early :D

I'd be happy getting it day 1

rCIZZLE

MW3 maps were way too cluttered, few good sightlines, cover that made no sense (burning cars you couldn't even peek over), way too many entrances to any given location, no flow, etc etc etc.

Just horrible.

Bold was probably the best anti-camping thing they could have done. I'm glad they did it for no other reason than eliminating the most common complaint about the series.

Qatar

Black Ops 2 is available right now here .... for about $95
because they are selling it 4 days before the official release date

Hey I am thinking of getting this but I was wondering if anyone who is getting the PS3 hardened would be willing to trade me their Nuketown Zombies code for a month of PS+ code. I am not really into special editions but I loved zombies in the last game and I don't need an extra month of PS+ (I got it when I bought the AC3 season pass).

Top Bottom