• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Call of Duty: Black Ops II |OT| Black to the Future

I think they are better than decent. I hate the dropoff in range with the SMGs though the PDW has enough bulltets in the clip to shoot at almost any range depending on who you fighting against.

Stock and Quickdraw are necessary too if you want to fight those SMG-Heroes.

I swear to god I had the same term in my head early this morning playing lololol. I was playing a match earlier,just watching everybody fly around with smgs with no fear, diving headfirst into everything with no thought, moving in a frantic hurry, and I dunno, hero-like just seemed like the best way to describe the behavior, so smg-hero it was.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Nothin' like taming those "SMG heros" with the SMR. And the rage, the RAGE I hear in their mics when I kill them with it. It makes me laugh my ass off because they get mad yet they use those bs weapons.

Just had another great match with a pretty much bare bones SMR (working through to second prestige with it). Uploading the clip now.

I swear to god I had the same term in my head early this morning playing lololol. I was playing a match earlier,just watching everybody fly around with smgs with no fear, diving headfirst into everything with no thought, and I dunno, hero-like just seemed like the best way to describe it, so smg-hero it was.

it's the sacrifice that counts lol. Spray and Pray first, think after.

Yeah from what I've heard footsteps are essentially inaudible. Not too sure how I feel about that, never was much of a soundwhore.

I'm leaning towards waiting until after Christmas to see if these problems get fixed before I give Activision my $60.

In all honestly if I could go back before my purchase knowing what I know now, I'd pass and continue playing MW3. I consider myself to be a pretty big CoD fan - I have multiple copies of all the titles for my collection since the release of CoD4, including purchasing the console bundles (both 360 and PS3). I went to CoD XP and took vacation time for both MW3 and Blops 2 (huuuuuuge mistake for blops2). I put in over 300 hours into MW3 and double that into MW2 since it's my personal favorite.

Traditionally, between Infinity Ward and Treyarch, the latter tends to make very few drastic changes to their titles. If you haven't been following the news, they are being quite harsh about the feedback and just revert to their 'my metrics say otherwise so deal with it!' attitude. Check this topic itself, the official Xbox and PlayStation forums, and the official CoD community forum and you'll see that the biggest complaints will center around lag compensation and spawns, and Treyarch's done jack shit about either.

It obviously all comes down to your playstyle. I cannot, absolutely cannot stress enough that this game is pure SMG run 'n gun. Despite being a huge fan of the series, this is hands down the worst CoD to date, IMO. If I were you I'd put the $60 into another title like Assassin's Creed 3, Hitman: Absolution, Battlefield 3 Premium, Halo 4, etc. I know 2013 is looking somewhat bleak in terms of games, but even if you absolutely HAVE to have that multiplayer experience until the next best thing is released, I'd stick to playing one of the previous CoD titles. Depending on your platform of choice, MW3 and the first Blops both still have a healthy pool of players left.

what was in the last patch. I played yesterday and it seemed like the guns were different.

You can find the patch notes here. This patch was basically a gimp patch for the most part, adding recoil to all SMG's and the decent AR's.

Assault rifles are still deccent. You just have to find areas where you can do work with them. If it makes you feel better here are my weapons over 1k kills:

NUh6I.png

LMGs are probably the best they've ever been in the series as well.

glad to hear LMGs aren't useless like they have been for the past 3 years

In all honestly if I could go back before my purchase knowing what I know now, I'd pass and continue playing MW3. I consider myself to be a pretty big CoD fan - I have multiple copies of all the titles for my collection since the release of CoD4, including purchasing the console bundles (both 360 and PS3). I went to CoD XP and took vacation time for both MW3 and Blops 2 (huuuuuuge mistake for blops2). I put in over 300 hours into MW3 and double that into MW2 since it's my personal favorite.

Traditionally, between Infinity Ward and Treyarch, the latter tends to make very few drastic changes to their titles. If you haven't been following the news, they are being quite harsh about the feedback and just revert to their 'my metrics say otherwise so deal with it!' attitude. Check this topic itself, the official Xbox and PlayStation forums, and the official CoD community forum and you'll see that the biggest complaints will center around lag compensation and spawns, and Treyarch's done jack shit about either.

It obviously all comes down to your playstyle. I cannot, absolutely cannot stress enough that this game is pure SMG run 'n gun. Despite being a huge fan of the series, this is hands down the worst CoD to date, IMO. If I were you I'd put the $60 into another title like Assassin's Creed 3, Hitman: Absolution, Battlefield 3 Premium, Halo 4, etc. I know 2013 is looking somewhat bleak in terms of games, but even if you absolutely HAVE to have that multiplayer experience until the next best thing is released, I'd stick to playing one of the previous CoD titles. Depending on your platform of choice, MW3 and the first Blops both still have a healthy pool of players left.

You can find the patch notes here. This patch was basically a gimp patch for the most part, adding recoil to all SMG's and the decent AR's.

I hated how much MW3 revolved around SMGs (hello, mp7) so I'm probably going to have to pass on BLOPS2 for right now. I love zombies and am one of those weirdo's that actually likes playing the story mode, but all these issues you and other people keep bringing up have me on edge. I'll probably wait for a price drop or buy it used sometime in 2013. I'm currently playing through Assassins Creed III (literally just got done with a mission) and will probably put the money I would've bought BLOPS2 with towards Halo 4 to get my multiplayer fix.

Thank you for the response.

I hated how much MW3 revolved around SMGs (hello, mp7) so I'm probably going to have to pass on BLOPS2 for right now. I love zombies and am one of those weirdo's that actually likes playing the story mode, but all these issues you and other people keep bringing up have me on edge. I'll probably wait for a price drop or buy it used sometime in 2013. I'm currently playing through Assassins Creed III (literally just got done with a mission) and will probably put the money I would've bought BLOPS2 with towards Halo 4 to get my multiplayer fix.

Thank you for the response.

No problem. I haven't logged too much time into Zombies but the maps were lacking from what I played. Aside from the shitty strike force missions, the single player is absolutely solid and enjoyable. Not as great as Cod4 or MW2's sp campaign, but I'd rank it third best after those.

Jak140

Ugh, I think I may have to give up on getting a diamond combat knife, I'm just not good enough at the crossbow to get a bloodthirsty medal with it. Even in Sticks and Stones the most I can get is 3 kills with it before I run out of ammo or someone comes at me lagging walking side to side and knifes me from 10 feet away.

tsigo

It's kinda dumb that wildcards take a point, since everything they do requires an additional point on top of it.

It's also sad that my two favorite things about this game are the Headshot sound and the fact that you can reload cancel/weapon swap cancel out of throwing Flashes/Stuns.

It's kinda dumb that wildcards take a point, since everything they do requires an additional point on top of it.

It's also sad that my two favorite things about this game are the Headshot sound and the fact that you can reload cancel out of throwing Flashes/Stuns.

I'd have to agree, although the headshot sound is up for debate because the 'ding' from MW3 was absolutely delicious. I also miss the rock riff/jingle when you rank up.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker

Thanks.

I noticed there was a lot more recoil in the SMG and FAL.

Lag seemed fucking atrocious when I was playing last night.

Doombear

Thanks.

I noticed there was a lot more recoil in the SMG and FAL.

Lag seemed fucking atrocious when I was playing last night.

You really just have to burst fire the FAL or use a grip, or both. It wasn't nerfed too bad as far as I can tell. I double prestiged it after the patch and it wasn't bad at all. Select Fire is a bit bouncier but overall it is still a very viable weapon. Just got my gold camo tonight, shiny shiny FAL.

Just went 74-13 on Yemen Dom. 4 caps 21 defends. Holy fuck that was fun. I'll try get a clip up. Basically, Stealth Chopper / Warthog / Lodestar for the win. Sogoooooood.

Shadybiz

You don't have to camp to do well on Yemen. I really like that map in KC/TDM.

Agreed. I usually run around like a moron with a Tac-45 on Yemen and will typically do well. And as mentioned, the rage from people when I do that...so good.

Prestiged the Tac-45 and the FAL the other day. I think I'll probably do them a 2nd time; those are the only 2 guns I have the motivation to prestige at the moment.

Radec

Man, this game is rage inducing.
First round in domination I'll be like 20-2, then round 2 it will be like 25-19.

Thats several games in a row.

yemen is the worst map ever. ever. 74-13? you're probably a pro-camper, congratulations.
Wtf Yemen is my favorite map. I am constantly on the move actually... Its really easy to predict enemy movement on that map.

And yes, PDW is God tier. That's all I've been using during this prestige run.

zeelman

Man, this game is rage inducing.
First round in domination I'll be like 20-2, then round 2 it will be like 25-19.

Thats several games in a row.

Yeah, this game's netcode is so inconsistent. I tried playing last night and the first game I went 30-5, then 25-10, and then I ragequit when I was 5-16. I was playing Domination on Slums against this really obnoxious team that had one guy who kept hanging out just outside of our spawn (so they don't flip), and then when I manage to get to B, I get snipe by this idiot hiding behind a dumpster. That map and Yemen are the worst for Domination.

Acinixys

Yeah, this game's netcode is so inconsistent. I tried playing last night and the first game I went 30-5, then 25-10, and then I ragequit when I was 5-16. I was playing Domination on Slums against this really obnoxious team that had one guy who kept hanging out just outside of our spawn (so they don't flip), and then when I manage to get to B, I get snipe by this idiot hiding behind a dumpster. That map and Yemen are the worst for Domination.

I only play Chaos Moshpit, and its ever worse there. Ill go 80-30 one game, and the next ill go 20-30. The worst is when your playing Carrier. Sweet lord, quickscope snipers and KAP40 are the only things i ever see on that map. Its out of control.

kuYuri

Does anyone else notice that it takes too many bullets to destroy a UAV? I've used the LSAT and the MK48 with FMJ (which increases damage against scorestreaks) and it still takes me almost a full belt to destroy them. Blind Eye Pro was amazing in MW3, but this just won't do.

FMJ damage against scorestreaks need to be increased via a patch I feel.

Does anyone else notice that it takes too many bullets to destroy a UAV? I've used the LSAT and the MK48 with FMJ (which increases damage against scorestreaks) and it still takes me almost a full belt to destroy them. Blind Eye Pro was amazing in MW3, but this just won't do.

I completely agree. I always would shoot stuff down both with rockets and with my gun in MW3, but I quickly discovered that even with FMJ in this game, it's a waste to use bullets.

Does the matchmaking in public games include your KDR into the calculation?

For two weeks I was regularly getting a 2-4:1 ratio in 90% of my matches. The moment I got to 1.4 however I hit a wall and am struggling to go 1:1.

I'm not complaining but it really feels like I'm being put into particular lobbies...or I'm just unlucky...or I actually suck and was lucky before.

MechDX

Was the first thing I did when I started using the LMG's. Even with FMJ they do very little damage.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Does the matchmaking in public games include your KDR into the calculation?

For two weeks I was regularly getting a 2-4:1 ratio in 90% of my matches. The moment I got to 1.4 however I hit a wall and am struggling to go 1:1.

I'm not complaining but it really feels like I'm being put into particular lobbies...or I'm just unlucky...or I actually suck and was lucky before.

If it does I don't think it weights it heavily. I'm still regularly doing very well, even with semi auto weapons (not cheesing).

Jak140

I've gotten 4 kills without dying with the crossbow now; the last time I had the guy in a shock charge and he blew me up with a C4 by throwing it over a rock. So frustrating to be 1 away so may times.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
I've gotten 4 kills without dying with the crossbow now; the last time I had the guy in a shock charge and he blew me up with a C4 by throwing it over a rock. So frustrating to be 1 away so may times.

I had to sacrifice myself a couple times in FFA to help my buddy get the final blood thirsty he needed for it. I don't think I'll submit myself to that frustration.

The inconsistency is pretty bad.

Top Bottom