• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Call of Duty: Black Ops II |OT| Black to the Future

JB1981

just got this game for $37 from gohastings. haven't played COD in a while, been playing a lot of Halo 4. This game is pitiful. The netcode is trash, the latency is trash. Point and shoot, peek-a-boo gameplay is shit. Spawns are shit. Constantly getting shot in the back. Hardcore is a spawn-n-die party. I was 2-9 before I even knew what hit me. I don't understand how people like this shit so much. Halo and Gears just completely shit all over this series.

I would use the MTAR until you can use the SMR is you like semi auto weapons. PDW, MCSM or whatever it's called and the Remington 870 are all easy mode.

Alright, thanks, I'll check them out. I've only been Redboxing this game, so I haven't been following the community and the discoveries of best perks/maps/weapons, etc like I did for COD4 and MW2.

I just want to know Black Ops 2's version of MW2's FAMAS and UMP super-combos, ha!

Remmy2112

What's the consensus on the best gun in the game? I'm still beneath level 20. Which weapon should I be using?

For assault rifles the FAL and SMR are good 2-4 shot killers, but semi-automatic. If you level them up you can equip select fire and turn them automatic. A patch recently launched on the PS3 that added some recoil to both, but I don't know how much as I am a PC player and that patch hasn't launched yet.

The SCAR and AN-94 are really good fully automatic assault rifles with good stats. The AN-94 is better at burst firing because the first two bullets in every burst fire much faster than the rest of the burst.

For SMGs pretty much all of them are good, but my favorites are the PDW and MSMC. PDW is the second highest damage SMG in the game at 35-18 points of damage per bullet, with a good fire rate, manageable recoil when ADSing, and a amazing 50 round mag. You can get in multiple fights with it and not have to pause to reload. Extended mag makes it even better. MSMC is 40-18 damage with the furthest range, but it only has a 30 round clip so you have to reload a lot.

SMR on the 360 is pretty bad now. I recently unlocked select fire and tried it with a silencer. Terrible idea. I was shooting at the enemy maybe max 20 ft away and the vertical recoil was so high after each shot the bullets were just zinging above his head. I had to take select fire off and revert to slow taps just to finally make contact.

I also had one of those bad days on Monday where every match I played things were bad. It's never been this bad in a modern warfare game. The inconsistency is the most annoying thing. I can go easily consistent 3-4.0 kd for a few games one day and then struggling to break 1.0 consistently on another day.

CHEEZMO™;45331769 said:
How do you find your emblems?

1) https://elite.callofduty.com/player/hq
2) Click on Black Ops 2 (if it isn't already selected)
3) Right click your emblem (next to your rank) and open link in a new tab
4) Look at the URL now of that link...

Where it says "size=40", change "40" to something higher. For the emblems I posted, I used 200.

5) In order to save the picture, change the last part of that URL (where it says "svg") to "png". Right click and save.

Hope that's what you were looking for :)

Double XP for all platforms this weekend...starting Friday:
http://www.charlieintel.com/2012/12/12/double-xp-weekend-1214-1217-for-black-ops-2-on-all-platforms/

Also:

http://www.charlieintel.com/2012/12/11/treyarch-releases-new-hot-fix-to-fix-probation-issues/
Treyarch has just released a new hotfix for Black Ops 2 fixing the issue where a host migration would put you on probation.

There are also 3 Elite clan challenges/operations happening this weekend (all EST I believe):

Core Domination - Friday 1PM
Core Kill Confirmed - Saturday 1PM
Core TDM - Sunday 5PM.

CHEEZMO™

Obsidian fan
1) https://elite.callofduty.com/player/hq
2) Click on Black Ops 2 (if it isn't already selected)
3) Right click your emblem (next to your rank) and open link in a new tab
4) Look at the URL now of that link...

Where it says "size=40", change "40" to something higher. For the emblems I posted, I used 200.

5) In order to save the picture, change the last part of that URL (where it says "svg") to "png". Right click and save.

Hope that's what you were looking for :)

54d10030cc86b1b98529ac5959d1e796

That work?

Tamanon

Banned
For assault rifles the FAL and SMR are good 2-4 shot killers, but semi-automatic. If you level them up you can equip select fire and turn them automatic. A patch recently launched on the PS3 that added some recoil to both, but I don't know how much as I am a PC player and that patch hasn't launched yet.

The SCAR and AN-94 are really good fully automatic assault rifles with good stats. The AN-94 is better at burst firing because the first two bullets in every burst fire much faster than the rest of the burst.

For SMGs pretty much all of them are good, but my favorites are the PDW and MSMC. PDW is the second highest damage SMG in the game at 35-18 points of damage per bullet, with a good fire rate, manageable recoil when ADSing, and a amazing 50 round mag. You can get in multiple fights with it and not have to pause to reload. Extended mag makes it even better. MSMC is 40-18 damage with the furthest range, but it only has a 30 round clip so you have to reload a lot.

I didn't use SMGs that much, occasionally the MAC-17 when I wanted to go "varmintin'", but just tried the PDW on your suggestion. That magazine size is silly, love that gun already.

ecurbj

Thanks for this. I asked GAF awhile ago what are some recommended guns to run with in this game and never got a reply. Maybe I asked during the heated lag compensation complaints.

Is there any recommended perks? I'm at level 49 now.

Thanks for this. I asked GAF awhile ago what are some recommended guns to run with in this game and never got a reply. Maybe I asked during the heated lag compensation complaints.

Dexterity since you'll be running into people a lot close quarters on these small maps, and toughness because the ridiculous damage flinch will make you loose a lot of gunfights.

RedAssedApe

Banned

Scavenger so you can surrounded yourself with shock lances, claymores, or bouncing betties. :D

zeelman

I guess this is going to be exactly like MW3 where they're going to keep doing Double XP events to keep people from abandoning the game.

Just ragequit from a game where the SBMM decided to put two people on my team who did nothing but try and knife each other the entire game, and the other team had a no prestige guy with a 3 K/D who got the lagvantage. I'm always screwed by the lag, so I'm not going to stay in a game where I basically give a player free kills. When everyone is getting screwed as much as I am, I don't really care about it that much.

I'm getting a 30 minute probation for this dashboarding, though. I wish the game didn't have a system like this when the netcode is so pitiful.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
SMR on the 360 is pretty bad now. I recently unlocked select fire and tried it with a silencer. Terrible idea. I was shooting at the enemy maybe max 20 ft away and the vertical recoil was so high after each shot the bullets were just zinging above his head. I had to take select fire off and revert to slow taps just to finally make contact.

I also had one of those bad days on Monday where every match I played things were bad. It's never been this bad in a modern warfare game. The inconsistency is the most annoying thing. I can go easily consistent 3-4.0 kd for a few games one day and then struggling to break 1.0 consistently on another day.

SMR is still an absolute beast. I posted a game I had last night with it where I went 41-9 in Dom on the previous page. It's probably my favorite gun right next to the MTAR and I prefer it without select fire.

ecurbj

Dexterity since you'll be running into people a lot close quarters on these small maps, and toughness because the ridiculous damage flinch will make you loose a lot of gunfights.

Scavenger so you can surrounded yourself with shock lances, claymores, or bouncing betties. :D

Thanks a bunch guys. I will try both of these out. Do you guys usually fill up all the perk slots or you just run with one perk?

CHEEZMO™

Obsidian fan
Skorpion is my fave SMG. I just love the ridiculous rate of fire on it (plus I simply like the noise it makes
QHXQQ.gif
).

Gotta make sure you've got Scavenger on when you be runnin' that shit, though.

MechDX

CHEEZMO™;45368317 said:
Skorpion is my fave SMG. I just love the ridiculous rate of fire on it (plus I simply like the noise it makes
QHXQQ.gif
).

Gotta make sure you've got Scavenger on when you be runnin' that shit, though.

I was going to say this. I ran with the Skorpion and that thing eats ammo and with its risiculous rate of fire you burn through clips quickly.

I'm still on the fence about this one, do you guys recommend picking it up? I've owned every CoD game since III but Modern Warfare 3 left a very bad taste in my mouth. The shitty spawns, ridiculously high bullet damage, head glitching, and TERRIBLE maps (except dome) made me swear off buying BLOPS II unless major changes were made.

So CoD-GAF, BLOPS II worth investing in or should I save my money for something else? How is the netcode? Is head glitching still prevalent? Are the spawns better than MW3? Do the maps suck?

For some perspective, Modern Warfare 2 is probably my favorite CoD game to date. I know it gets a lot of hate around these parts but that game ran silky smooth and while unbalanced; was still a blast to play.

eek5

What perks?

I usually run:
ghost / flack jacket
toughness
dexterity / tac mask (or ec)

I recently dropped ghost off my SMG classes for lightweight to test it out since I mainly play TDM.

I'm still on the fence about this one, do you guys recommend picking it up? I've owned every CoD game since III but Modern Warfare 3 left a very bad taste in my mouth. The shitty spawns, ridiculously high bullet damage, head glitching, and TERRIBLE maps (except dome) made me swear off buying BLOPS II unless major changes were made.

So CoD-GAF, BLOPS II worth investing in or should I save my money for something else? How is the netcode? Is head glitching still prevalent? Are the spawns better than MW3? Do the maps suck?

For some perspective, Modern Warfare 2 is probably my favorite CoD game to date. I know it gets a lot of hate around these parts but that game ran silky smooth and while unbalanced; was still a blast to play.

There is head glitching but it is nowhere as bad as MW3. MW3 had some of the worst headglitches of all time in this series IMO. Right now there are maybe 1-2 spots I can think of off the top of my head where it is really bad but those spots leave you really exposed on the back side.

Netcode is hit or miss.

Spawns can be really bad depending on the map and where your team is.

Bullet damage is lower across the board on AR. SMGs have lower damage too for the most part but maps are small so most engagements are within high bullet damage range for SMGs.

Outside of some SMG unbalance this is probably the most balanced COD because of the pick10 system.

I usually run:
ghost / flack jacket
toughness
dexterity / tac mask (or ec)

I recently dropped ghost off my SMG classes for lightweight to test it out since I mainly play TDM.

There is head glitching but it is nowhere as bad as MW3. MW3 had some of the worst headglitches of all time in this series IMO. Right now there are maybe 1-2 spots I can think of off the top of my head where it is really bad but those spots leave you really exposed on the back side.

Netcode is hit or miss.

Spawns can be really bad depending on the map and where your team is.

Bullet damage is lower across the board on AR. SMGs have lower damage too for the most part but maps are small so most engagements are within high bullet damage range for SMGs.

Outside of some SMG unbalance this is probably the most balanced COD because of the pick10 system.

Thank you for the response.

When you say the spawns are bad are we talking MW3 bad or MW2/BLOPS meh?

I think the last update just screwed the spaws even worse than they were.

What's the problem? Is spawn trapping too easy or are they "revenge" spawning players? Do you think the small map sizes are the problem or are their layouts poorly thought out? I remember hearing a youtube commentator mention that there are multiple paths to out flank your enemy on every map. I don;t know how I feel about this, I like it when there's at least one choke point the map funnels players into like quarry on MW2.

Fracas

#fuckonami
I'm having some issues with this game (mainly lag/rubberbanding, and the maps aren't that good), but I'm getting a lot of fun out of it.

I haven't played much, but the MP7 and SWAT .556 are my favorite weapons at the moment.

Tamanon

Banned
What's the problem? Is spawn trapping too easy or are they "revenge" spawning players? Do you think the small map sizes are the problem or are their layouts poorly thought out? I remember hearing a youtube commentator mention that there are multiple paths to out flank your enemy on every map. I don;t know how I feel about this, I like it when there's at least one choke point the map funnels players into like quarry on MW2.

There are still areas you can lock down as a choke point on most maps. The only problem is that many times, the war will just rage in a different area while you sit in your Fortress of Solitude waiting on someone to wander by.

Personally, I love that the maps all tend to have a few different paths to any destination. It means Domination no longer only depends on getting to B first. Even though I love sniping, I also love flanking.

revenge spawning just over the top, I just had a guy literally spawned right next to me right as I killed him and was reloading. I have the vid on the theater, I'll see if I can upload like a cell vid.

eek5

Thank you for the response.

When you say the spawns are bad are we talking MW3 bad or MW2/BLOPS meh?

Sometimes it's MW3 bad but most of the time it's just guys spawning in close proximity to you. If you have good map awareness you can keep killing the same people over and over. It isn't very uncommon for me to have a victim in a game that I kill 10 times when I only have ~25 kills in a TDM.

When someone in a TDM kills me at least 5 times I almost always kill them the same amount or more if that gives you any idea of how spawns are.

FWIW, once you figure out the spawn flips you can control spawns and predict them pretty reliably in most game modes (except for hardpoint)

Sometimes it's MW3 bad but most of the time it's just guys spawning in close proximity to you. If you have good map awareness you can keep killing the same people over and over. It isn't very uncommon for me to have a victim in a game that I kill 10 times when I only have ~25 kills in a TDM.

When someone in a TDM kills me at least 5 times I almost always kill them the same amount or more if that gives you any idea of how spawns are.

FWIW, once you figure out the spawn flips you can control spawns and predict them pretty reliably in most game modes (except for hardpoint)

Yea it was like that before but after that hotfix we just got an hour ago, they've been spawning right next to me

I don't understand how the most successful franchise in video games that has made Activision money hand over fist can't beta test the game properly to make sure the spawning system is decent. Heck, we've been complaining about this since BLOPS but it only seems to get worse every year.

So from the responses thus far I'm guessing most people would say BLOPS2>MW3, correct? Assuming this, the next question I have is how does this game stack up to Modern Warfare 2? Clearly it is more balanced thanks to the pick 10 system and decreased emphasis on getting crazy killstreaks. Still though, is it fun? Do you find yourself genuinely enjoying the game the majority of the time or is BLOPS2 mostly frustration with a few moments of fun sprinkled in here and there?

Sorry for all the questions, I'm just really torn about picking this up or not.

HiiiLife

I don't understand how the most successful franchise in video games that has made Activision money hand over fist can't beta test the game properly to make sure the spawning system is decent. Heck, we've been complaining about this since BLOPS but it only seems to get worse every year.

So from the responses thus far I'm guessing most people would say BLOPS2>MW3, correct? Assuming this, the next question I have is how does this game stack up to Modern Warfare 2? Clearly it is more balanced thanks to the pick 10 system and decreased emphasis on getting crazy killstreaks. Still though, is it fun? Do you find yourself genuinely enjoying the game the majority of the time or is BLOPS2 mostly frustration with a few moments of fun sprinkled in here and there?

I'm loving the game.

As for MW2, that game was an unbalanced mess but it was FUN AS HELL. I like the MW2 maps more than Blops2.

In terms of my enjoyment with the games, my list would be:

CoD4
MW2
Blops2

Haha wow that is straight BS unless you were in their spawn alone and hadn't activated the flip. Hopefully they patch this up; it would be a shame to leave the system a mess like IW did with MW3.

no, actually i had spawned right by the hay stack next to the tank about 40-45 seconds before that, I got a connection interrupted flicking screen for a bit so i went prone, then i heard the two guys coming so I turned and shot them just to have him respawn and kill me.

eek5

I'm having a lot of fun with it.

Activision will never, ever allow another beta test for the CoD series. That started and ended with CoD4 once they realized the revenue the series could take in, ensuring nothing can jeopardize sales or badmouth the game before release.

Personally, I'd say this is the worst CoD in the series. The witch hunt on camping has ruined it and essentially made the game an SMG run-n-gun title. The sneaking/stealthy approach is completely out, as is the support approach for players looking to support others (support class that MW3 introduced). If I absolutely had to rank the series it'd be CoD4 > MW2 > MW3 > Blops > Blops2.

My biggest gripes are:
-Lag compensation is disastrous and all over the place. Just read through this topic and it's hands down the #1 complaint.
-The spawns need some serious serious serious serious work. Right now it's nothing but revenge spawn - kill someone and they will spawn in the vicinity directly behind you. There's a 75% chance the person you kill is the person who will shoot you in the back approximately 10 seconds later.
-The maps are incredibly small like MW3, but they added several rooms (multi-layered; floors) and flanks to each room to make the maps 'feel' big. It didn't work.
-Stop the camping witch hunt. It resulted in a gimped ghost which is only available at level 55 (this is a 50/50 fight in the community), counter UAV also being a high level unlock, UAV being the most used and abused scorestreak, attachments that either allow players to see through walls (MMS) or highlight enemies (target finder), and absolutely no sounds for footsteps.

Basically, if you're a stealth player who likes to run up on people from behind or set 'traps' (make noise and have someone walk into a claymore), this is not the game for you. If you are the kind of player who loves sprinting 24/7 around the map, using a shotty or firing an SMG at the hip, you will fucking love the game. Scorestreaks are very rare aside from UAV or those obtained via care package. This is the most difficult CoD to date and staying alive is a huge challenge; been playing since launch and have yet to see the opposing team earn something crazy like a VTOL, dogs, or swarm without it coming from a care package.

I'm having a lot of fun with it.

Definitely better than MW3, the last title update fixed a lot of the connection issues for me and i got my kd up the past 3 days

Basically, if you're a stealth player who likes to run up on people from behind or set 'traps' (make noise and have someone walk into a claymore), this is not the game for you. If you are the kind of player who loves sprinting 24/7 around the map, using a shotty or firing an SMG at the hip, you will fucking love the game. Scorestreaks are very rare aside from UAV or those obtained via care package. This is the most difficult CoD to date and staying alive is a huge challenge; been playing since launch and have yet to see the opposing team earn something crazy like a VTOL, dogs, or swarm without it coming from a care package.

what? I just had dogs, swarm in the same game 2 games ago lol. You haven't met parties yet. You play mercenary?

Activision will never, ever allow another beta test for the CoD series. That started and ended with CoD4 once they realized the revenue the series could take in, ensuring nothing can jeopardize sales or badmouth the game before release.

Personally, I'd say this is the worst CoD in the series. The witch hunt on camping has ruined it and essentially made the game an SMG run-n-gun title. The sneaking/stealthy approach is completely out, as is the support approach for players looking to support others (support class that MW3 introduced). If I absolutely had to rank the series it'd be CoD4 > MW2 > MW3 > Blops > Blops2.

My biggest gripes are:
-Lag compensation is disastrous and all over the place. Just read through this topic and it's hands down the #1 complaint.
-The spawns need some serious serious serious serious work. Right now it's nothing but revenge spawn - kill someone and they will spawn in the vicinity directly behind you. There's a 75% chance the person you kill is the person who will shoot you in the back approximately 10 seconds later.
-The maps are incredibly small like MW3, but they added several rooms (multi-layered; floors) and flanks to each room to make the maps 'feel' big. It didn't work.
-Stop the camping witch hunt. It resulted in a gimped ghost which is only available at level 55 (this is a 50/50 fight in the community), counter UAV also being a high level unlock, UAV being the most used and abused scorestreak, attachments that either allow players to see through walls (MMS) or highlight enemies (target finder), and absolutely no sounds for footsteps.

This post worries me a lot; I was not a fan of the small, verticle maps MW3 introduced. From this and other posts in this thread it seems like AR's are pretty much useless and that shotguns/SMGs are the way to go unless you want your ass handed to you.

Definitely better than MW3, the last title update fixed a lot of the connection issues for me and i got my kd up the past 3 days

what? I just had dogs, swarm in the same game 2 games ago lol. You haven't met parties yet. You play mercenary?

Nothing but TDM or Kill Confirmed. I have never seen anyone get a crazy high killstreak outside of a care package. I've managed to pull it off, but never the opposing team. When I do there's generally like 5-10 kills remaining before the game ends.

This post worries me a lot; I was not a fan of the small, verticle maps MW3 introduced. From this and other posts in this thread it seems like AR's are pretty much useless and that shotguns/SMGs are the way to go unless you want your ass handed to you.

I use nothing but AR's and it's a challenge. Another big issue is the fact that the good AR's are also high level unlocks. The last patch also gimped the FAL and SWAT with the select-fire attachment :( They just had two of the best AR's in the game.

I think it depends, SMG's are of course a bit overused, I personally have the SCAR H as my main gun. I do switch to the PDW when I want to try extra hard lol, but honestly I think it's balanced, my only complaint right now is that the footsteps sounds not being 100% reliable even with awareness on and you can see from the vid I posted earlier that I do soundwhore a lot.

Nothing but TDM or Kill Confirmed. I have never seen anyone get a crazy high killstreak outside of a care package. I've managed to pull it off, but never the opposing team. When I do there's generally like 5-10 kills remaining before the game ends.

It's too easy to get high killstreak, in KC especially, TDM is a bit harder to chain the kills for a VTOL without getting fucked over by a spawn or some SMG-hero with a Scorpion.

eek5

Assault rifles are still deccent. You just have to find areas where you can do work with them. If it makes you feel better here are my weapons over 1k kills:

NUh6I.png

LMGs are probably the best they've ever been in the series as well.

Assault rifles are still deccent. You just have to find areas where you can do work with them. If it makes you feel better here are my weapons over 1k kills:

NUh6I.png

LMGs are probably the best they've ever been in the series as well.

I think they are better than decent. I hate the dropoff in range with the SMGs though the PDW has enough bulltets in the clip to shoot at almost any range depending on who you fighting against.

Stock and Quickdraw are necessary too if you want to fight those SMG-Heroes.

Holy crap, this club level in single player is absurdly fun. I never thought I'd be so impressed by a Treyarch COD campaign. I think it's the locations that I really love about this game. They're really unique and things we don't normally see in shooters.

And goddamn, I think this game looks gorgeous. The character models and animation especially.

eek5

I think they are better than decent. I hate the dropoff in range with the SMGs though the PDW has enough bulltets in the clip to shoot at almost any range depending on who you fighting against.

PDW nerf hurt it a lot. I can't use it anymore for whatever reason. MP7 w/ grip or MSMC have really good range though. I can usually stay really competitive on almost all the maps w/ those two weapons in all ranges and if not I can get into a better position.

Some of the ARs have terrible damage drop offs that happen within SMG range leaving you very vulnerable to SMG gunfights which is probably my biggest gripe with them right now. There are "camp spots" you can get into on every map where you don't have to worry about that stuff much though lol

PDW nerf hurt it a lot. I can't use it anymore for whatever reason. MP7 w/ grip or MSMC have really good range though. I can usually stay really competitive on almost all the maps w/ those two weapons in all ranges and if not I can get into a better position.

Some of the ARs have terrible damage drop offs that happen within SMG range leaving you very vulnerable to SMG gunfights which is probably my biggest gripe with them right now. There are "camp spots" you can get into on every map where you don't have to worry about that stuff much though lol

PDW still beast for me, I could never use the MP7. I havent had much problem with CQC with Scar and with Stock and Quickdraw I win a lot of close range battles against SMGs.

Is this the new slang coming out of the CoD playerbase these days?

probably not but that's what my friends and I call them.

I think it depends, SMG's are of course a bit overused, I personally have the SCAR H as my main gun. I do switch to the PDW when I want to try extra hard lol, but honestly I think it's balanced, my only complaint right now is that the footsteps sounds not being 100% reliable even with awareness on and you can see from the vid I posted earlier that I do soundwhore a lot.

Yeah from what I've heard footsteps are essentially inaudible. Not too sure how I feel about that, never was much of a soundwhore.

I'm leaning towards waiting until after Christmas to see if these problems get fixed before I give Activision my $60.

Top Bottom