• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Call of Duty: Black Ops II |OT| Black to the Future

Eh, did you even open the video I linked? It's not some random guy raging at a laggy game, it's a scientific breakdown of lag compensation made by someone who knows networking technology.

Point is that regardless which side of the lag compensation you're on, you are experiencing it because it's an inavoidable part of the game. I mean, it's not like everyone's on the bad side where your bullets never do damage; some people have to be on the positive side of it and if you're having zero problems with the lag, then you're obviously on the positive side. The lag compensation doesn't just randomly shut itself off when you play.

My apologies. Indeed I didn't bother to open the video I thought it was simply another "lag lol" video.

Now, I know how it works, don't worry :) It's just that so many peoples seem to be quick on the trigger to brush paint the networking codes of this game when it's probably superior to most games on consoles using matchmaking. Lag compensation has not been an issue for me, but it's pretty much my point from the beginning.

Edit: Watched the video. Pretty interesting stuff!

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.
The game (on PC) keeps crashing/freezing on me. Anyone know how to fix this?

I am loving the FAL, that is all.

I just unlocked the SCAR, not sure if I want to switch to a fully automatic rifle.

How is the SCAR by the way, any good?

Holy shit the person(s) responsible for the gun sounds should be fired, lol. Never been a fan of the way COD guns have sounded, but this is shit. And that goofy gun bob while sprinting is still there, and still looking goofy as hell.

And I played 1 MP match. Ugh, how is this the #1 game all the time? What. The. Fuck.

Grenade explosions are the worst.

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.
I haven't had any problems. The only issues I've heard were related to AMD cards but nothing causing crashes.

Apparently, all the players reporting crashes and freezes are using a GTX 570 or GTX 580 graphics card… it might be a coincidence, it might not…

http://www.unigamesity.com/how-to-fix-black-ops-2-crashes-freezes/

I have a GTX580...

Couple of things, verify all 3 caches in order (SP, MP then Zombie), and use the latest beta drivers from Nvidia/AMD.

Trying that now, hope it helps, Thanks.

I am loving the FAL, that is all.

I just unlocked the SCAR, not sure if I want to switch to a fully automatic rifle.

How is the SCAR by the way, any good?

I'm really liking the FAL in this game as well. It kinda feels like the MW2 version of the gun. None of that lock up if you try and fire the trigger too fast like in BLOPs 1.

MJLord

I'm sure I'd purchase this game if they sold JUST the multiplayer for £20. I always find it really hard to justify £40-49 for it every year. Anyone else feel this way ?

I'm sure I'd purchase this game if they sold JUST the multiplayer for £20. I always find it really hard to justify £40-49 for it every year. Anyone else feel this way ?

Well with MW3 I feel that way because that game sucked but I'm quite enjoying this one and I feel I will definitely get my moneys worth.

Tambini

I don't think I'm enjoying this very much. Enemies seem to take too many bullets but somehow kill me instantly, I keep getting spawn killed and I can't find a gun that I like. It's just pissing me off more than other COD games lol

CorrisD

badchoiceboobies
Nuketown is like a gift and a curse at the same time, it's so crazy you end up getting killed all the time while killing all the time, usually means I come out with a pretty even k:d ratio which is amusing because on a normal game that is far calmer I can get randomly obliterated.

Kyoufu

I don't think I'm enjoying this very much. Enemies seem to take too many bullets but somehow kill me instantly, I keep getting spawn killed and I can't find a gun that I like. It's just pissing me off more than other COD games lol

That's how I felt in MW3 but not in this. The actual netcode is pretty decent on my end.

Complete turnaround from the mess that was BLOPS 1.

Are you using a wired connection? I've switched to wireless and I can actually compete now. That's how this thing works, right? Giving players with bad connections an advantage?

Now I'm just starting to get to grips with jumping drop-shotters. And they thought Halo 4 was like COD!

what this man says is truth. i had terrible issues yesterday and i had the idea of trying to make my connection shittier, so now im connecting wirelessly and all the sudden i can kick some ass. just to make sure this wasnt a placebo effect i connected via an ethernet cable and i returned to shit. this netcode is terrible.

The only thing that im not a fan of with the new class system I dont feel like I should branch out and I am scared to use my unlock tokens. The level based unlocked system let me experiment with all the different guns and find which ones I wanted to use. Other than this though, im really enjoying it on PC.

harrytang

That's how I felt in MW3 but not in this. The actual netcode is pretty decent on my end.

Complete turnaround from the mess that was BLOPS 1.

everyone having so many different experiences. i was playing blops 1 up until last week. hated mw3 because of the way it fucked with my fast connection. always lagging. blops never having a problem. blops 2 seems to run really real, although sometimes the kill cam showing me not shooting at all even though im seeing me getting the first shot. i guess i just have to accept that this is what online gaming going to be like today. loving the guns though feels hard to get kill streaks in team deathmatch.

Ensoul

what this man says is truth. i had terrible issues yesterday and i had the idea of trying to make my connection shittier, so now im connecting wirelessly and all the sudden i can kick some ass. just to make sure this wasnt a placebo effect i connected via an ethernet cable and i returned to shit. this netcode is terrible.

I am going to have to try this. I am hardwired with fios and having major issues with lag. I am going to disconnect and go wireless and see what happens. I got fios in Febuary of last year and it is probably no coincidence that I have had issues with lag in MW 3 and this game now.

Kyoufu

everyone having so many different experiences. i was playing blops 1 up until last week. hated mw3 because of the way it fucked with my fast connection. always lagging. blops never having a problem. blops 2 seems to run really real, although sometimes the kill cam showing me not shooting at all even though im seeing me getting the first shot. i guess i just have to accept that this is what online gaming going to be like today. loving the guns though feels hard to get kill streaks in team deathmatch.

I was talking about blops 1 during launch week. I didn't play that game for long. It was really bad at the time.

FStop7

Banned
2309918891.png

Even with an optical fiber connection, I do not experience these "lag compensation" issues you guys are all talking about.

*scratches his head*

Ok I guess I'm just one lucky person playing a game with a "terrible" netcode.

I don't know how often it happened the others who experienced it but last night it happened to me once out of about 20 games of various types. On Tuesday night, immediately after launch, it was happening a lot more. Maybe it's related to load. Whatever it is, it's not something I'm imagining. I literally went from being at the top of my team in Domination one match to being 3-11 and unable to kill anyone in the next. The only difference being I had gone through matchmaking again and was in with a different group. They didn't play notably better or worse, I would just lose every engagement. And when viewing the kill cams I saw I was not shooting my opponents even though from my perspective I was seeing and hearing hit indicators.

ohlawd

I'm already using wireless. What else can I do to make my connection shittier? I'm still getting killed in the most infuriating ways.

Jack_AG

Banned
I swear if this shit freezes on me one more time im going to rage return this shit. Every fucking time I reboot my ps3 and have to check the file system. 5 times so far today.

So... does anyone still play MW2 online? I'd rather deal with nuke boosting than sit through shit spawns, shit maps, constant freezing even on menus and shit lag comp.

Edit: holy shit again. This time while loading a map. Boom file check on reboot. I wrote the above while my PS3 was checking the file system. Twice in a row.

Tambini

Who would of thought having a 100mb connection would make it worse -.-

I'm going to keep going until I unlock the Scar, I loved it in MW2 so hopefully it's similar.

MW2's netcode was far superior to anything that's been developed since, I can't understand why they don't revert back to that. The host has a slight advantage but it's better than the situation we have now. Concurrent players seems down a lot too compared to previous releases at the same point in lifecycle, only ~460k [x360] online compared to the ~800-900k of mw3. I seem to remember Blops was even higher than that.

alterno69

Banned
I swear if this shit freezes on me one more time im going to rage return this shit. Every fucking time I reboot my ps3 and have to check the file system. 5 times so far today.

Yep, same here, just had a freeze, had like three yesterday and a couple the day before.

aku:jiki

So... does anyone still play MW2 online? I'd rather deal with nuke boosting than sit through shit spawns, shit maps, constant freezing even on menus and shit lag comp.
They do, but I heard the PS3 version had massive hacking problems earlier this year. Don't know if it was fixed or what, but I doubt it since IW never fixed CoD4.

Damian

For those of you who are experiencing lag compensation: have you tried setting the connection type in the search preferences to "best"?

It might be some sort of placebo, but I have a feeling it reduces the lag compensation (at least for me), even though there are still people with yellow bars in the game.

If you don't know how to do it: just press x on the playlist menu (on xbox obviously)

I can't get into this game. This is Treyarchs MW3 as someone in this thread nicely put it. How do you fuck up coming from W@W and black ops? I don't think the modern gameplay is for them. They should stick to the past. Especially since it gives us something different each year instead of a modern day setting year after year from both companies.

You let me down Treyarch. Back to blops 1.

:(

Rainy Dog

Can some other PS3 players please test something and chip in with your findings?

Go into Game Data Utility in the XMB and delete the 1.02 patch.

Boot up the game and press circle when it asks to download the patch so it loads without installing it.

Now, is it my ageing eyes playing tricks on me or is the blur filter all but gone?

I've tried uninstalling and reinstalling the patch a few times now to test, and I'm absolutely convinced there's a pretty substantial difference. I'm all but convinced there's something in the patch that wreaks havoc on the AA solution or something and causes the excess softness...

Sethos

Banned
So, I’ve played it for quite a few hours ( Xbox 360 ) – Harcore Search & Destroy exclusively and the game is easily one of my favourite Call of Duty games in the bunch. Obviously, due to the nature of S&D I’m not really dealing with all the respawn mode crap and any hit detection issues are usually toned down almost completely because hardcore isn’t about the shooting element as people actually die when you hit them but more about your movement, positioning and good use of gear.

My current list of likes:

- Sound effects are great. Wish they would have added some more explosion variations though.

- Love the weapons and the slow unlock of stuff, so you are forced to use it for extended periods of time to get the higher tier stuff like silencers. Means I personally get to use more variations of the weapons or else I’d just slap on a scope and a silencer, get bored within a day and move on.

- Perks overall feel less dominant, usually I can always pick out my 3 perks I want for HC S&D but now, they have been nerfed and changed to a point where it’s more of a ”Oh that sounds fun” instead of ”FUCK, I’m gimped without that one!”

- Love the new 10 Point system. First time I feel like there’s truly a choice in how you play, ditch that sidearm for an additional perk or something – Brilliant without being overpowered.

- Overall they shed some of the soulless Treyarch feel of Black Ops and the game finally got a great appeal. Hard to explain but despite the MW games taking a nose dive, fun wise they always had some soul behind them that Treyarch couldn’t match.

- A lot of the maps are extremely inspired by maps in previous Call of Duty games, like they take the atmosphere from some of the fan favourites and made a new map, like MW2’s ”Afghan” and the new ”Turbine” map feel very related. I like it. ( Not the layouts though )

- Sniping is dead! Okay overstatement but I’ve been shot a handfuld of times by a sniper in the last 35 levels, people don’t seem to want to use it. Especially not in hardcore where you might as well pick up a powerful semi-automatic rifle and do the same while still mainting combat ability in other areas.

- Best matchmaking system so far, especially considering it’s around launch day. It takes 5 second tops to find a lobby, only wait time comes during the countdown. Seriously fast and smooth. Haven’t missed a bet yet, except a 2 minute outtage.

- I really like the precision of the weapons. While this may be a controversial subject, in HC and especially S&D it all comes down to movement, positioning, teamwork and luck and the shooting elements moves further down. Then having to deal with that bullshit from previous games where hip firing would make bullets go straight up or down. Now they are actually lethal and hit within the actual cone of the weapon, then you can add a laser sight for even better hip firing and then ADS for ultimate precision.

What I don’t like so much:

- Maybe it’s just me but it feels like they upped the damage of hardcore. I mean, sure I play hardcore for the weapon to be ultra deadly but there’s also a fine line. In the older games, players could survive small arms fire at a range but now it feels like every weapon is deadly at all ranges. So might as well pick a weapon with a high ROF ( SMG, usually ) and snipe with that. Isn’t very appealing.

- Maps, while their atmosphere is great as I mentioned most of the layouts are annoying. They take the same shit from MW3 where everywhere connects to everything. Can’t sit any place without 2-3 corridors leading behind you. Some of the best MP maps in shooters usually have a handful of access routes but you could actually lock down these access paths and push forward – Now you can’t be anywhere without getting bumrushed. Now the ADHD TDM CoD crowd loves that shit but there’s more game-modes in this game and they aren’t exactly winning any awards for S&D play.

- Maps are too small. I like variation but why does every map have to be this tiny? The variation comes in small, tiny and ultra tiny. I want some of the big CoD maps, like Derail.
- People can correct me if this isn’t right but as far as I remember, in the older CoDs the end-game killcam would only play if the last action was actually a kill. Not a bomb defuse, suicide or whatever. Now it seems to play the killcam all the time for the last kill on the winning team. I used to love killcams but I feel like I’m watching killcams CONSTANTLY now, eugh. I used to strive to get the last killcam but now I’ve seen it so many times I just want the next round to start. Getting sick of them-

- The music in the club at Plaza.

- They removed the sneak element from S&D which was a huge, enjoyable part of the game-mode. Ghost perk change is the biggest problem because the change is über shit. Too high level requirement and having to blaze around like a scolded cock to avoid being seen by a UAV in hardcore means instant death. So death by UAV tracking or death by running, take your pick.

- Last thing is there’s something iffy going on with the map rotation. I feel like I’m playing the same 3-4 maps over and over again, people can vote random or it can be a fresh lobby and it’s constantly Plaza, Hijacked, Overflow and Turbine. Then occasionally two others and the rest, never see them. In 30 levels I’ve played TWICE on Aftermath and 4 times on Raid. Mix that shit up!

Wish they’d start balancing the game for each type of play ( Slow, medium, fast paced ) somehow, instead of basing all this shit off completely different game-modes with people who bitch and whine over people sitting still for more than 2 seconds – Just makes other modes less enjoyable.

There’s just way too much focus on the anti-’camping’ bullshit, which ruins modes where a slow pace is required.

But despite all of that, I’m not feeling all that frustrated when playing this like I do with IW’s Call of Duty releases. Has some Treyarch sensibility and despite flaws, it’s enjoyable. Had a 27 match winstreak, eep!

However the MW3 map syndrome is the biggest source of any frustration. The shit where you can work together and move up, only to find the usual rush kid has stormed through the map’s 17 corridors that lead behind you. It’s annoying as shit.
However my experiences comes down to the gamemode alone of course, can’t comment on the other modes and I won’t touch them with a 12ft pole either.

Right now, CoD 4 > MW2 ( Purely because of the maps ) > Blops 2 > Blops 1 > Testicular Cancer > MW3

Sorry, that was a bit long.

Rainy Dog

Can some other PS3 players please test something and chip in with your findings?

Go into Game Data Utility in the XMB and delete the 1.02 patch.

Boot up the game and press circle when it asks to download the patch so it loads without installing it.

Now, is it my ageing eyes playing tricks on me or is the blur filter all but gone?

I've tried uninstalling and reinstalling the patch a few times now to test, and I'm 95% convinced there's a pretty substantial difference. I'm all but convinced there's something in the patch that wreaks havoc on the AA solution or something and causes the excess softness...

For the new page as I'm now 100% convinced.

Top Bottom