• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Call of Duty: Black Ops III |OT| No Content For Old Gen

Durden77

Does rapid fire not have a detriment like older games?

And also, does FMJ increase all general damage, or just damage against scorestreaks?

Jblanks

Having spent some time in multiplayer, this game is good but, for the life of me I can't figure out the hate for Advanced Warfare. That game to me is clearly far better than this one. The wall running here feels largely useless a lot of the time, and beyond that and the boost slides it is just aother CoD game, albeit a well made one. It's just hard to go back following the freedom to boost around Advanced Warfare gave.

Should I start with the shitty maps, the shitty RNG supply drop bs, the crazy movement 24/7 all over the place bs, etc.

Go to weapons for me are: Man O War, HVK, Vesper, Weevil, Razorback, Dredge. Kuda and KN are decent.

Should I start with the shitty maps, the shitty RNG supply drop bs, the crazy movement 24/7 all over the place bs, etc.
Precisely.

I even think the movement in Black Ops 3 was uneccesarry. Unlimited sprint, and the movement mechanics, plus maps with a million routes and entrances to buildings creates fucked up spawns, and often unpredictable chaos in my opinion.

What's the point of elevated power positions on a map of you can now just hold a button to fly up into the window, and kill someone with the shotgun or SMG you're able to spawn with? I have nothing against spawning with shotguns and SMG's, but those coupled with the thrusting into such places is silly in my opinion.

Creaking

He touched the black heart of a mod
And also, does FMJ increase all general damage, or just damage against scorestreaks?

Just scorestreak damage. And I think it's supposed to decrease damage loss when shooting through walls, but for the life of me, I can hardly find walls that you can actually shoot through.

meanspartan

Go to weapons for me are: Man O War, HVK, Vesper, Weevil, Razorback, Dredge. Kuda and KN are decent.

I loved that, it was awesome! Halo 5 has boosting in any direction also to a lesser extent and it works well. I hear that complaint a lot "crazy movement BS", why is it BS?

But anyway, I won't try to turn this into a Blops3 vs Advanced Warfare thing more than I already have. Im liking blops 3 fine, but I think I'll be sticking mostly with Halo 5 this year. That game has me addicted big time (when Im not playing fallout) and it's not easy to switch between the two.

Durden77

Just scorestreak damage. And I think it's supposed to decrease damage loss when shooting through walls, but for the life of me, I can hardly find walls that you can actually shoot through.

Ah good to know. Anyone know if rapid fire hurts any other stats. I remember in all the previous games it would decrease range or something, so it's weird that it doesn't seem to do that in this one.

Dranakin

Picked this game up via the Target B2G1 sale. Haven't played a CoD in years, so I was interested in diving back in. Just finished the first campaign mission and man...that was really boring. I'm sure it'll get better once I get access to "powers" or whatever they are, but I wonder if I've just outgrown FPSs. I mean, the last ones I played were Destiny at launch and Far Cry 4, but I just thought the reason I didn't care for those games was because they were tedious as the reviews stated.

Durden77

Picked this game up via the Target B2G1 sale. Haven't played a CoD in years, so I was interested in diving back in. Just finished the first campaign mission and man...that was really boring. I'm sure it'll get better once I get access to "powers" or whatever they are, but I wonder if I've just outgrown FPSs. I mean, the last ones I played were Destiny at launch and Far Cry 4, but I just thought the reason I didn't care for those games was because they were tedious as the reviews stated.

The campaign is not that great. The gameplay is exciting, but it's grindy and most stuff around it is boring. It reminds me a lot of Destiny actually.

The multiplayer is pretty fantastic though. And zombies is cool.

Creaking

There's not a lot of fondness for the campaign this time around. "Poor execution out there" as the MP announcer says. It is more fun to play with friends though.

Multiplayer and Zombies are where the meat of the game lies.

Dranakin

The campaign is not that great. The gameplay is exciting, but it's grindy and most stuff around it is boring. It reminds me a lot of Destiny actually.

The multiplayer is pretty fantastic though. And zombies is cool.

There's not a lot of fondness for the campaign this time around. "Poor execution out there" as the MP announcer says. It is more fun to play with friends though.

Multiplayer and Zombies are where the meat of the game lies.

Ah, okay. I'll temper my expectations as I jump back into the campaign. I just remember MW2's campaign being crazy fun and worth the purchase itself, though it could just be because I was younger.

Creaking

Ah, okay. I'll temper my expectations as I jump back into the campaign. I just remember MW2's campaign being crazy fun and worth the purchase itself, though it could just be because I was younger.

Nah, I remember MW2's campaign fondly as well. I don't think Black Ops 3's campaign is terrible, but it definitely isn't as fun as MW2, MW1, or the previous two Black Ops games.

codcapture0bsxc.png

Wow I just got gifted a copy of Blops III for PS4! So I'm really excited having not owned a CoD game since Blops 1 but I had tons of fun playing the beta earlier this summer.

Any advice on beginner weapons starting guide for MP? I like the Kuda and Man-o-War in the beta a lot.

Also I'm reading the campaign is a little by the numbers but if I can play local co-op with my brother or sister I'll likely squeeze some fun out of it.

Just finished the campaign. Final mission felt like it went on forever.

Was also technically rough on PC. I toned down the perf killing settings from extra to high, and even then my 980ti + i5 4670 were stuttering occasionally. It also had very nasty glitches with events/animations, if I paused (esc) during various story scenes, characters would still speak as they should but all animations would freeze in place. Sometimes characters would then teleport once the game "fixed itself" by starting the next set of animations. The torture scene in the first mission was hysterical because there's supposed to be this guy getting beaten up and interrogated but actually the guards never animated on the screen and I couldn't see the person who was supposed to be getting hurt. Lols.

Creaking

Wow I just got gifted a copy of Blops III for PS4! So I'm really excited having not owned a CoD game since Blops 1 but I had tons of fun playing the beta earlier this summer.

Any advice on beginner weapons starting guide for MP? I like the Kuda and Man-o-War in the beta a lot.

Also I'm reading the campaign is a little by the numbers but if I can play local co-op with my brother or sister I'll likely squeeze some fun out of it.

XR 2 is a solid weapon if you don't mind burst (it's auto burst though, so you don't have to press the trigger more than once).

biteren

nice little video to get you started

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oWAx94OOelk

WaLlbaNg

Dead Silence is not so much to hide your noise from others, but rather for reducing the noise of your own footsteps from yourself so that you can hear others. The combination of dead silence and awareness is just too strong in this game, almost to the point of being unfair. I can literally hear people coming from miles away with my headset, especially with volume set to super crunch in game.

When I use dead silence (in s&d), my intention is to prevent people from soundwhoring me and it is obligatory in comp s&d. Awareness was already gamebreaking in bo2 - thank god it is banned in most leagues

Bishop89

Having spent some time in multiplayer, this game is good but, for the life of me I can't figure out the hate for Advanced Warfare. That game to me is clearly far better than this one. The wall running here feels largely useless a lot of the time, and beyond that and the boost slides it is just aother CoD game, albeit a well made one. It's just hard to go back following the freedom to boost around Advanced Warfare gave.

its hectic as shit.

Getting killed from every direction, and from above.

Maps are designed for one thing, and thats to rush. No downtime at all.

RUSH RUSH RUSH RUSH

ponpo

( ≖‿≖)
So Elite and Legendary crate drop rate is the exact same whether you buy the 10 or 30 cryptokey one, the only difference is that you guaranteed get a Rare in the 30?

Wonk wonkkkk.

LordRaiden

Neo Member
I have to say that since HC DOM and KC are back, I'm having one helluva good time.

I get my scorestreaks again, something that wasn't doable for me in regular gamemodes.
See, im used to playing HC so much, I use the same playstyle in normal lobbies.

BUT 2-3 hits in Normal doesn't kill. It just tenderizes the opponent, making them an easy kill for teammates while I get ventilated..

Yesterday I played good ol' HC Dom and I smiled every match. It's that glorious BLOPS feeling all over again. :D

Creaking

So Elite and Legendary crate drop rate is the exact same whether you buy the 10 or 30 cryptokey one, the only difference is that you guaranteed get a Rare in the 30?

Wonk wonkkkk.

Yeah, 30 definitely isn't worth it.

Klyka

Banned
Hardcore is kinda weird to me.
In a game where you and the enemy already die in less than a second, you now die and kill EVEN FASTER.

It's like....I don't quite get it.

its hectic as shit.

Getting killed from every direction, and from above.

Maps are designed for one thing, and thats to rush. No downtime at all.

RUSH RUSH RUSH RUSH
That was my opinion at first, but you do get used to it. Really enjoying online!
Some of the maps are very chaotic but in most maps it's mostly ground battles which we all enjoy more. 😄

I didn't understand a thing for the last third of the singleplayer campaign, especially the last level. Anyone with me or I'm in full retard mode over here?

Ah good to know. Anyone know if rapid fire hurts any other stats. I remember in all the previous games it would decrease range or something, so it's weird that it doesn't seem to do that in this one.

protip: dont look at the ingame stats, they are always wrong.

Rapid fire less range actually means you wil have more recoil with rf and thus have a harder time hitting stuff at range.

Just like a recon sight supposedly improves your range in the stats, it only makes it easier to see targets at range.

The only thing i can think of is a suppressor actually reduces the range from a gun and in BO3 it's friggin HUGE.

All the attachments got a huge nerf in BO3.

DocSeuss

What a disappointing campaign. Out of the, what, four shooter campaigns this year, this is one of them. :|

Hardcore is kinda weird to me.
In a game where you and the enemy already die in less than a second, you now die and kill EVEN FASTER.

It's like....I don't quite get it.

what about all the bullet sponge enemies

Ambient80

I've been playing through campaign on Realistic difficulty with a friend. Damn it's tough. We are on mission five so I know it probably hasn't even gotten "hard" yet, but it's pretty intense. And lol if they expect me to get every single medal at the end of these missions. It would be completely impossible on Realistic. Don't die while playing this mission? Yeah, ok lol.

Creaking

I've been playing through campaign on Realistic difficulty with a friend. Damn it's tough. We are on mission five so I know it probably hasn't even gotten "hard" yet, but it's pretty intense. And lol if they expect me to get every single medal at the end of these missions. It would be completely impossible on Realistic. Don't die while playing this mission? Yeah, ok lol.

Does medal completion transfer between difficulties or nah?

LordRaiden

Neo Member
protip: dont look at the ingame stats, they are always wrong.

Rapid fire less range actually means you wil have more recoil with rf and thus have a harder time hitting stuff at range.

Just like a recon sight supposedly improves your range in the stats, it only makes it easier to see targets at range.

The only thing i can think of is a suppressor actually reduces the range from a gun and in BO3 it's friggin HUGE.

All the attachments got a huge nerf in BO3.
Yeah I added a silencer to my KN44 and the range dropped by 50%

Ah well, as long as they barely hear me, I don't need distance anyway. I like to shoot people in the back up close... :p

sTiTcH AU

I do wonder why some players even bother with objective game modes. There is always one idiot on the team who has no interest in playing the objective.

Creaking

I don't think the combat knife should have been a secondary equip. I don't think I've seen a single person use it in 24+ hours of play. At the very least, it shouldn't be such a friggin' late unlock. But it's generally not worth a pick 10 point versus the other secondaries, or even a perk or piece of equipment. Plus, it's absence as a default equip weakens those who like to run with secondaries only (present).

Ambient80

Does medal completion transfer between difficulties or nah?

I actually don't know, to be honest.

Another question for those who may know, do all of the trophies have to be completed on the same difficulty you best campaign on? For example, getting a Gold rating on the simulator is a trophy. Must I do that on Realistic, or can I come back later on like Normal difficulty and get it easier?

Daffy Duck

I do wonder why some players even bother with objective game modes. There is always one idiot on the team who has no interest in playing the objective.

I got so wound up last night playing solo domo because none of my friends were online that I ended up turning the game off.

My team mates were terrible, not capping objectives and just getting slaughtered everywhere.

Sixth sense has to be on the dumbest perks added to a CoD game.

There are several problems with the objective based game modes in CoD. One important such is that the points that you get for doing the objective is ridiculously low. Often, I'm the person in the team with the most points gotten from objectives (capturing zones and killing attackers/defenders, scoring goals in Uplink and defeating the robot in whatever it's called), but I'm not even close to being the MVP because two kills gives you the same as or more points than doing the objective. Since KDR and points/minute are important for stat reasons, the system gets flawed. Compare this to Battlefield where you get insane points for being a team player.

Victrix

*beard*
Because kill/scorestreaks are tied to not dying, there's always going to be tension between playing the obj and just killing people - combine that with people's natural propensity to NOT play the obj and...

There are several problems with the objective based game modes in CoD. One important such is that the points that you get for doing the objective is ridiculously low. Often, I'm the person in the team with the most points gotten from objectives (capturing zones and killing attackers/defenders, scoring goals in Uplink and defeating the robot in whatever it's called), but I'm not even close to being the MVP because two kills gives you the same as or more points than doing the objective. Since KDR and points/minute are important for stat reasons, the system gets flawed. Compare this to Battlefield where you get insane points for being a team player.

I just ignore the kill stats altogether. I love Hardpoint and I'm always the guy blazing for the grab so I do die often. I play Reaper with Psychosis so I tend to send my clones in often to help me survive and flank a bit better. I don't like sitting back so I roll with an SMG for mobility and CQC. I keep some placement tacticals on me to help cover my flank when I'm alone and use Thermite lethals to help with some AOE that lasts a few seconds to create a momentary barrier in hallways to let me slip out of harm's way and prevent enemy movement. This also causes most to blow their lethals and since I am careful about my lethal use in tight areas there's only one line of sight their lethals can take, so I know where they will be thrown based on their own constraints.

My K/D suffers as I like rushing hard full stop but I get back in the game fast when I die. I don't expect to have a shining K/D being a rusher but hey - goes with the territory.

When I play other modes I tend to lean back a bit more and my K/D goes up, as usual. Sucks when you're "that guy" and I generally don't care much for MVP. I look for the team win, not padding my own stats. I'll play TDM if I want to pad hard.

bluehat9

Because kill/scorestreaks are tied to not dying, there's always going to be tension between playing the obj and just killing people - combine that with people's natural propensity to NOT play the obj and...
Was it MW3 that had support steaks that didn't reset after you died? I liked that even if it was overpowered if you stuck with the low streaks.

I just ignore the kill stats altogether. I love Hardpoint and I'm always the guy blazing for the grab so I do die often. I play Reaper with Psychosis so I tend to send my clones in often to help me survive and flank a bit better. I don't like sitting back so I roll with an SMG for mobility and CQC. I keep some placement tacticals on me to help cover my flank when I'm alone and use Thermite lethals to help with some AOE that lasts a few seconds to create a momentary barrier in hallways to let me slip out of harm's way and prevent enemy movement. This also causes most to blow their lethals and since I am careful about my lethal use in tight areas there's only one line of sight their lethals can take, so I know where they will be thrown based on their own constraints.

My K/D suffers as I like rushing hard full stop but I get back in the game fast when I die. I don't expect to have a shining K/D being a rusher but hey - goes with the territory.

When I play other modes I tend to lean back a bit more and my K/D goes up, as usual. Sucks when you're "that guy" and I generally don't care much for MVP. I look for the team win, not padding my own stats. I'll play TDM if I want to pad hard.

This is a good mentality :)

Ridygo

Does anyone know how to open classified hero outfit for Outrider class? I just unlocked all outfits and then this showed up.

maxresdefault.jpg

There is no explanation how to unlock it.

LordRaiden

Neo Member
People who don't play objective should stay in the fucking FFA or TDM lobbies.

It only frustrates people who DO play objective.

That feeling when you capture the center domination point in the map, whilst looking around frantically for incoming enemies is the best!

Yesterday was a prime example of how it SHOULD be played.
We were on Combine, A and C was captured by the other team.

Me and a teammate legged it for point B, whilst I covered our backs on the way to B, he/shew covered the front.

We were an unstoppable force zeroing in on B. I got down, started to grab it. He/she was just outside the marker picking off incoming enemies. I got the capture points, he/she got a few kills in.

Suddenly: Halftime.

Same story, but the roles were switched. He/she grabbed point B, I defended until the capture was complete. The 2 of us were invincible and we started grabbing capturepoints as soon as the enemy got them.

The rest of the team were apparenly NOT playing objective, as we ran around in circles capturing the shit out of the CP's.

They did however, make our capture quest a lot easier, since they were busy killing the opposing team.

Long story short, you only need 2-3 people playing objective, the rest is there to plow the road.

But, when you are the only one playing objective, I suggest switching lobbies.

Daffy Duck

My brother from another mother:

DHSrXyY.jpg

Hip Hop

Skill based matchmaking is what killed it for me. Everything else was great. If you're a good player, it's not a fun time at all. I don't play COD to game in uber tryhard lobbies.

Victrix

*beard*
Skill based matchmaking is what killed it for me. Everything else was great. If you're a good player, it's not a fun time at all. I don't play COD to game in uber tryhard lobbies.

I absolutely detest SBMM

Destiny was a fucking trainwreck because of it, especially on Iron Banner weeks

They toned it down a bit in the later parts of TTK, but by that point their 'investment' team had successfully uninvested me from the game

Lots of fun with mixed lobbies in this game. Sometimes it's a crushing stomp, sometimes it's a tough match, sometimes we get rolled. As it should be, instead of a fucking sweaty tryhard match every single time.

Creaking

Does anyone know how to open classified hero outfit for Outrider class? I just unlocked all outfits and then this showed up.

maxresdefault.jpg

There is no explanation how to unlock it.

Nah. All the specialists have them, but I don't think anyone has figured out how to unlock them yet. Only theories.

Top Bottom