• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Call of Duty: Black Ops III |OT| No Content For Old Gen

Arondight

I'm kind of on the fence for this game. Want to know whether the PC performance has imrpoved, how is co-op modes, what's split screen performance like/can it run on two monitors, is bot mode any good?

LordRaiden

Neo Member
Shock Charge + Trip Mine = <3

I'm such a dirty fucking camper and I love it soooooooo much.
I always used this combo in BLOPS2. :D When I saw they were back, I kinda wet myself.

Fiddling with distance is great for comical effect. If you place them together, the shock charge is useless and lessens the comical effect.
They just go off together or the tripmine destroys the shock if it goes off first.

Placing the shock a few feet in front of the tripmine just adds insult to injury.

First their movement and vision is limited, and then, 4 steps later, the final blow!

First you hear the shock charge go off... Then you wait while laughing like this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3uSTOHa4Im4

Then BOOM and you laugh like this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JNCnqz-tXBc

I always laughed out loud when using it. It's a great trolling mechanism for Domination matches and rigging camping spots.

Tobinishi

Is it possible that a moderate NAT heavily affects my connection? I have 4 green bars but I still have the feeling that I'm always behind and have to put far more bullets into another player than the other way around.

Beepos

Really enjoying the range of maps in this. Last game was Ghosts and the maps in that were just too big (though that cool castle map was fun).

Waldini

Jesus.

The Man-o-War is an underrated weapon. It's REKS shit. KN-44 + Man-o-War = godly.

I'm having far-far less of those crazy "deaths behind walls" or "1 bullet deaths" stuff than I had in Ghosts / Advanced Warfare.

Where I was "stuck" on a 0.5 K/D with Ghosts and even worse on AW I'm now doing 1.9/2.5 most of the time by just ... running and gunning. Suprises me that there's such a difference in netcode.

I've played Ghosts for 3 days ... Advanced Warfare for 6 hours. BO3 feels just right. Thank god ... I can finally put Destiny away!

I love getting double or triple kills with the trip mine. It feels so good.

I got killed by an enemy care package dropping on my head today. I'll just hang my head in shame for the rest of the day.

I always used this combo in BLOPS2. :D When I saw they were back, I kinda wet myself.

Fiddling with distance is great for comical effect. If you place them together, the shock charge is useless and lessens the comical effect.
They just go off together or the tripmine destroys the shock if it goes off first.

Placing the shock a few feet in front of the tripmine just adds insult to injury.

First their movement and vision is limited, and then, 4 steps later, the final blow!

First you hear the shock charge go off... Then you wait while laughing like this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3uSTOHa4Im4

Then BOOM and you laugh like this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JNCnqz-tXBc

I always laughed out loud when using it. It's a great trolling mechanism for Domination matches and rigging camping spots.
I'm still grinding to reach the level for shock charges and trip mines. Love those as well. I'm also so glad you can throw grenades again instead of the "shooting underneath your arm" way in AW. Hated that!

jorgejjvr

I gotta say, I understand now

With stock, Quickdraw, grip, and extended mag, I hardly lose gun fights with my pharo

Stock helps tremendously, I escape most encounters if shot first, and I am able to shoot back and still win.

Klyka

Banned
I played Hardcore TDM yesterday.
This is the first time I have played Hardcore.

I....I understand now guys.
I can see all.
I can see everything (except the minimap).
I can see forever.

Waldini

How is it underrated when everyone says it's awesome and so many people use it?

By that logic every weapon is underrated, lol.

Most of the players on XBONE use an SMG. Some use an LMG because of the insane amount of damage per shot. I barely see the Man-o-War being used. Might be me. When people do kill me with an assault rifle it's usually the KN-44.

I just love how this game plays. Sure, online can still be a pain in the ass ... but it's much-MUCH better than Ghost or AW was. I noticed yesterday that, despite people having a "green" bar ... they still lag all over the place. Never noticed that before. With AW/Ghost I always had the feeling I was shooting a (no pun intended) Ghost.

Most of the players on XBONE use an SMG. Some use an LMG because of the insane amount of damage per shot. I barely see the Man-o-War being used. Might be me. When people do kill me with an assault rifle it's usually the KN-44.

I just love how this game plays. Sure, online can still be a pain in the ass ... but it's much-MUCH better than Ghost or AW was. I noticed yesterday that, despite people having a "green" bar ... they still lag all over the place. Never noticed that before. With AW/Ghost I always had the feeling I was shooting a (no pun intended) Ghost.
Don't forget people may not have unlocked, or I should say, have the ability yet to unlock, certain guns.

The Man-o-War is good, nice recoil pattern, highly accurate but it's rate of fire will scupper you when you come up against accurate players with higher RoF weaponry.

Maybe the matchmaking is better for you and that's helping you out. I think this game has the best matchmaking, I don't feel like there's been ridiculous matches and things are quite even which makes for good games.

I still would give Ghosts the nod on lag and hit detection, as long as you weren't on pure P2P, that was trash, but BO3 is very close. Better than AW and huge improvement over previous Treyarch games.

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
This last chapter is more annoying than the
mothership. Enemies spawning out of thin air
from every angle. Seriously, if you're going to make a difficulty and call it realistic where you go down in one hit, then enemies need to also die in one hit. These last 2 chapters are almost taking me as long to beat as all the previous ones combined.

Omg I beat this last night and it is a nightmare in terms of game design.

-
endless spawning out of nowhere like you said.
-constant pressure from missiles, drones, robots and more
- inconsistent ai getting in the way.
- parts almost entirely dependent on what perks you have on.
- entirely luck based sections towards the end... Unless I missed something
- all of this I'm referring to that big fire fight in the square.

I didn't even get that frustrated, I was ready for it, I'm just more on awe at just how awfully designed it was, another moment in gaming where you picture the devs going "hey how do we make this hard? Ughh idk let's just put enemies everywhere and never let up"

Victrix

*beard*
I still would give Ghosts the nod on lag and hit detection, as long as you weren't on pure P2P, that was trash, but BO3 is very close. Better than AW and huge improvement over previous Treyarch games.

I really wonder what the hell happened between MW2 and Ghosts (and now BO3... I guess).

The difference between MW2 and BO1 was night and day (to the point where I pulled out my MW2 disc on BO1 launch night to see if I was going crazy - I wasn't).

Then we had a long string where it was bad, BO1, MW3, BO2, all had shitty lag, latency, prediction, net code, whatever you want to call it.

Ghosts was like MW2 again. It was the first cod in years where I would tag a guy, count the hitmarkers, and move on to the next, certain that he was dead - because he was!

BO3 is... better than before. Most nights when we're on a server it's pretty solid, you just have to deal with the new 4 bullet ttk on a lot of guns.

I played Hardcore TDM yesterday.
This is the first time I have played Hardcore.

I....I understand now guys.
I can see all.
I can see everything (except the minimap).
I can see forever.

Funny thing about HC now - it's closest in ttk to CoD4 and MW2.

Remember how hated Juggernaut was in CoD4? That's pretty much where we're at for ttk in core BO3.

I love how opinion shifts over time. CoD4 with Jug was hated, Ghosts was reviled for being too fast (actually just having not shit netcode), and now we're back to BO3 with it being as slow or slower than CoD4 with Jug and no SP on your gun.

I like HC a lot, but I really wish they'd do ricochet team damage as the standard, it avoids a lot of nastiness with players intentionally fragging each other.

I was a big hardcore player in Battlefield but not much in CoD. The TTK is already so low and the guns are obviously not balanced for it. I just walked around with a Sheiva one-shotting everyone.

jorgejjvr

I'm saying I understand now why people like to play hardcore cause I found it to be very very fun and a nice change of pace from core.

Don't frown him, crown him!

Welcome brother, to the fraternity of Hardcore. May your soul find joy...
LOL xD

Cool, glad you guys enjoy it

But I find that you already die really fast, and there SHOULD be some means to escape and survive a gun fight. The balance is also not there.

Anyways, I tried it, but I feel this game is meant for the normal core

MrS

Banned
Just bought this after seeing Battlefront reviews. On a scale of 1 to Killzone Shadow Fall, how bad is the the story mode/SP mode?

J_Viper

Just bought this after seeing Battlefront reviews. On a scale of 1 to Killzone Shadow Fall, how bad is the the story mode/SP mode?
Those are one in the same :p

It's a contender for worst AAA campaign of all time. I'm really not exaggerating here.

Xater

Not as bad as Shadow Fall. Give it a shot and quit once you think you can't take it anymore. Maybe you will enjoy it, you never know.

Gold_Loot

It's not bad at all. The core abilties are a great addition once you learn to use them right. The story isn't "great" but you can see by reading a lot of posts here that it's very misunderstood.

Not the best CoD campaign, but not the worst either.

Xater

I was a big hardcore player in Battlefield but not much in CoD. The TTK is already so low and the guns are obviously not balanced for it. I just walked around with a Sheiva one-shotting everyone.

Yeah I have no interest in Hardcore. Normal TTK to me is already very low.

Bolivar687

Banned
Did they reinstate the respawn timer in HC? They had it on launch day but they took it out last time I played.

I remember in Black Ops 2 Vahn asked the community if they wanted it or not, as if there was a choice. Not the same game mode at all after that.

BDP

Neo Member
Have not really played kill confirmed since black ops 2. Forget how fun it was. More run and gun and less camping.

Agreed, it has become my favorite game mode. The point totals are extremely good also. Especially when you are awful like myself, as it's nice to grab tags and get points.

I don't play Domination solo as it becomes a lesson in frustration for me who loves to get captures. Nobody seems to want to play as a team. When my friends are on we rep Domination pretty hard though.

Agreed, it has become my favorite game mode. The point totals are extremely good also. Especially when you are awful like myself, as it's nice to grab tags and get points.

I don't play Domination solo as it becomes a lesson in frustration for me who loves to get captures. Nobody seems to want to play as a team. When my friends are on we rep Domination pretty hard though.
Same here. Its tough when your holding a point on your own and everyone is ahead of the map and not defending.

Xater

Yeah going lone wolf in domination sucks. Sometimes it seems like no one even wants to capture points. Made me think they should maybe fiddle with the points you get in that mode.

Kill Confirmed to me is the best mode to just randomly match make.

Yeah going lone wolf in domination sucks. Sometimes it seems like no one even wants to capture points. Made me think they should maybe fiddle with the points you get in that mode.

Kill Confirmed to me is the best mode to just randomly match make.
I love kill confirmed because so many people ignore getting the tags after killing someone so I pick them up and get results like this:

CT-z_X6WEAEf54f.png:orig

Note my kills and confirms and score compared to my team-mates.

LordRaiden

Neo Member
LOL xD

Cool, glad you guys enjoy it

But I find that you already die really fast, and there SHOULD be some means to escape and survive a gun fight. The balance is also not there.

Anyways, I tried it, but I feel this game is meant for the normal core
Use the Kinetic Armor. It's made for HC

Man I love when people come running around the corner, spamming the Haymaker and I just drop them in one Argus shot

Argus for life

I've played this game a lot and I don't think I've ever seen anyone use the Haymaker. Argus is pretty awesome, but if you miss one shot and you're up against an AR or SMG, then you're screwed. It's probably easier to use on PC.

Klyka

Banned
Use the Kinetic Armor. It's made for HC

For the first time ever I saw Kinetic Armor last night.

An enemy came out of a door I was aiming at and I started Shooting and then These weird WOOSH CLANK WOOSH sounds started playing as my bullets hit the armor.

Was pretty crazy :O

Rixxan

kill confirmed as a game mode also yields some of the highest potential SPM :)

(thanks to the GAFer that keyed me in on that a couple weeks ago)

went from like 250 average playing ground war to 600-900SPM games playing KC

LordRaiden

Neo Member
For the first time ever I saw Kinetic Armor last night.

An enemy came out of a door I was aiming at and I started Shooting and then These weird WOOSH CLANK WOOSH sounds started playing as my bullets hit the armor.

Was pretty crazy :O

Actually the armor deflects them. That's what you hear :p

BDP

Neo Member
kill confirmed as a game mode also yields some of the highest potential SPM :)

(thanks to the GAFer that keyed me in on that a couple weeks ago)

went from like 250 average playing ground war to 600-900SPM games playing KC

Exactly why I like playing it. Especially for not being that great at the game. I just need some more seat time and I'll get back in the swing of things.

Right now it's a struggle for me to break even.

Sorral

Exactly why I like playing it. Especially for not being that great at the game. I just need some more seat time and I'll get back in the swing of things.

Right now it's a struggle for me to break even.

When I see a tag in KC, I usually wait a bit to see if there's an enemy that's going to pick it up or is watching who will try to pick it up.
This helps a lot. Lots of times, it isn't just grabbing the tag the moment that you see it.

Do you lose all camos when you prestige in this one?

Nope.

jorgejjvr

Man cod is fun again...

All I always want to do is leave work and play some more..

Two jobs unfortunately does not give me much time..

BDP

Neo Member
When I see a tag in KC, I usually wait a bit to see if there's an enemy that's going to pick it up or is watching who will try to pick it up.
This helps a lot. Lots of times, it isn't just grabbing the tag the moment that you see it.

Yeah, that was the big learning curve for me. I would run around shoot and immediately grab tags. Not anymore, I've become more methodical because a lot of times people just use tags as bait and not only do they grab your tag but the kill denied also.

Great point!

EL CUCO

Completed 4th mission in Realistic last night.

Doing a chapter a day so my teammates and I dont rip each others heads off.

Alot of "Why are you over there?!", "Stay close to each other!", "Why didn't you say there was ammo over there?!", "Use your Cyber core and stop trying to Warrior everything!"

Watching all of us proning around like some super wussies is also hilarious Lolol

Ensoul

Until they remove the k/d ratio from domination players will continue to ignore captures.

On domination there should be 2 stats: defends and captures. Nothing else.

Rixxan

Until they remove the k/d ratio from domination players will continue to ignore captures.

On domination there should be 2 stats: defends and captures. Nothing else.

even if they removed it from showing in Dom itself it would probably still count towards global KD, and it would still be a problem

Cool, thanks. So basically you just lose your weapons / unlocks, nothing else?

Yes, you only lose your level unlocks.

However, if you are going crazy to 100% complete this game, there is a Dark Ops Challenge that requires you to do a Fresh Start. The Fresh Start option WILL make you lose every single challenge, emblem and calling card except for the ones you got from cryptokey boxes and the reward for actually doing the fresh start. Obviously, you should do that one at Prestige 1 Level 1 to lose the least amount of progress.

Top Bottom