• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Call of Duty: Black Ops III |OT| No Content For Old Gen

ponpo

( ≖‿≖)
I think the Annihilator ability needs a bit of a buff to the hitbox or something. I guess it has range over some of the other ones, but most of the other "gun" special abilities would kill when the annihilator misses.

Calabi

Anyone else struggling to get a positive k/d ratio on core modes but slaying it on HC? I usually rank top 3 in HC modes.

Nope I get team kills, no one told me you could kill your own team so I got kicked, I hope its not a a permanent mark.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
So what's wrong with the campaign again? It seems visually interesting and there has been talk about changes made to encounters versus previous games.

Thinking about picking this up for XB1. The framerate is always 60 in multiplayer, right? Framerate problems on XB1 are only in the campaign (which I wouldn't play anyway)?

Nvzman

Thinking about picking this up for XB1. The framerate is always 60 in multiplayer, right? Framerate problems on XB1 are only in the campaign (which I wouldn't play anyway)?
The game's framerate is fine on both PS4 and XB1 for MP and Zombies. It's usually 60 and rarely 50-something-fps

So, has 3Arc made any official comment/tweet etc. about the lag issues? I cant remember a CoD playing this poorly (sometimes) than this.

The lag compensation or whatever is going on paired with some crazy teleporting at times... makes for some horrid games every now and then. Most of my games are solid... but those ones that aren't... fuck are they bad!

So, has 3Arc made any official comment/tweet etc. about the lag issues? I cant remember a CoD playing this poorly (sometimes) than this.

The lag compensation or whatever is going on paired with some crazy teleporting at times... makes for some horrid games every now and then. Most of my games are solid... but those ones that aren't... fuck are they bad!
Yeah you're right.

When you get lag issues they're bloody horrible. Watching the ping meter and I'm sub 15ms but with random spikes to 200-400ms, with 400ms seemingly the ceiling of the graph.

Everyone glitching around, and it seems when players leave and new players join it gets even worse.

It is annoying because I don't care about K/D, but I like my W/L ratio, and if I leave lagged up lobbies then I'm hit with a loss.

Yeah you're right.

When you get lag issues they're bloody horrible. Watching the ping meter and I'm sub 15ms but with random spikes to 200-400ms, with 400ms seemingly the ceiling of the graph.

Everyone glitching around, and it seems when players leave and new players join it gets even worse.

It is annoying because I don't care about K/D, but I like my W/L ratio, and if I leave lagged up lobbies then I'm hit with a loss.

Exactly! When it rains it fucking pours in BO3! It must be addressed and they should really comment on it and keep the public updated on progress. It's not just a little lag comp here or there it's like someone fucked up the net code or there is some horrible issue in matchmaking joining groups putting together people who shouldn't even be allowed to join a public MP match because their connection is so bad.

CoD has been this way since the original Black Ops. People called it out then, and have for every game since. It's awful. There's a large amount of inconsistency.

There are a handful of things about this game that are very irritating, and it's very disappointing to me in a number of ways.

CoD has been this way since the original Black Ops. People called it out then, and have for every game since. It's awful. There's a large amount of inconsistency.

There are a handful of things about this game that are very irritating, and it's very disappointing to me in a number of ways.

To an extent yes... but, at least for me personally (having played since day one launch CoD - current) BO3 is in another realm of network issues and connection problems. Worst yet by a landslide. And it's a real shame because if it ran say even 50% as smooth as Halo 5 does it would be such a damn good game!

To an extent yes... but, at least for me personally (having played since day one launch CoD - current) BO3 is in another realm of network issues and connection problems. Worst yet by a landslide. And it's a real shame because if it ran say even 50% as smooth as Halo 5 does it would be such a damn good game!
It's been the same for me as it was in Black Ops. Maybe a bit better with this release. It isn't normal lag. It was something people noticed then and every game since. It's terribly inconsistent. It's something else entirely. Something changed after MW2, and hasn't gone back to how it was since.

Coupled with high caliber being a silly attachment considering how many accidental headshots occur as a result of the large amount of aim-assist, and the flinch mechanic of someone ELSE shooting them landing said headshots, the Awareness perk with a headset essentially being cheating, and the unlimited sprint/movement system that ruins spawns, makes matches totally chaotic much of the time, and hard to control a map, generally makes many matches a spaz-fest, and I'm having a hard time enjoying the game.

Even when I go 30-10 I still get irritated because it feels like most of my deaths are the result of silly things.

Bolivar687

Banned

I'll say that this is the worst it's been for me with the last three CoDs. Each of those games I've been able to go in and excel at midnight or launch day but this one I have to play overly cautious just to be able to compete.

I'm hoping once I go on a wired connection it will work things out, as other people don't seem to have these issues.

Dynasty

Damm, anyone else feel like the zombie mode is lacking? I mean Shadow Of Evil is a good map but is no fun playing online with randoms. They really needed to give us two maps. The second map should have been a more simpler map like Kino, Nuketown or even Town. Where you can just play and don't really need to communicate. I know there is the Der Riese remake but I never wanted to spend £80 just for a extra map which will probably come with the season pass later like Nuketown zombies did for BOII.

Yeah, I think the barrier of entry of Shadows of Evil is pretty big. I never played Zombies, and I have to do research, search Google, watch Youtube videos to even get an idea of what I'm supposed to do. A tutorial or a simpler map that can ease you into some of the gameplay would be nice.

MGrant

I think the Annihilator ability needs a bit of a buff to the hitbox or something. I guess it has range over some of the other ones, but most of the other "gun" special abilities would kill when the annihilator misses.

I dunno, I love the thing. It's a guaranteed win against just about any mid-range weapon, even if your enemy gets the first shot in. It does have difficulty dealing with more than one enemy rushing you in tandem due to the time between shots, but it's gotta have some drawback. Currently running it with an ICR-1 for mid-long range combat, an RK-5 pistol for indoors, and staying the fuck away from long range combat. My performance isn't stellar, but I'm typically hovering around 1.8-2 K/D.

I'm hoping once I go on a wired connection it will work things out, as other people don't seem to have these issues.

I was having awful network issues on wireless, and was confused as I didn't have the issues with other online MP games (Destiny). Switched to a wired connection and haven't had a single network related problem with Blops 3.

It's been the same for me as it was in Black Ops. Maybe a bit better with this release. It isn't normal lag. It was something people noticed then and every game since. It's terribly inconsistent. It's something else entirely. Something changed after MW2, and hasn't gone back to how it was since.

Coupled with high caliber being a silly attachment considering how many accidental headshots occur as a result of the large amount of aim-assist, and the flinch mechanic of someone ELSE shooting them landing said headshots, the Awareness perk with a headset essentially being cheating, and the unlimited sprint/movement system that ruins spawns, makes matches totally chaotic much of the time, and hard to control a map, generally makes many matches a spaz-fest, and I'm having a hard time enjoying the game.

Even when I go 30-10 I still get irritated because it feels like most of my deaths are the result of silly things.

I HATE the flinch headshots... i feel that 1/2 of my fucking deaths are as a result of the dude i shot first flinched and hit my head according to the unreliable kill cams.

As far as the other attachments, perks and weapons... a CoD has never been this balanced in my opinion. Everything is viable... everything has a counter. It's a chess match. Try on Dead Silence if you feel you're being tracked too easy with Awareness... it really negates it and you wont be pulling enemies anywhere near as often.

I'll say that this is the worst it's been for me with the last three CoDs. Each of those games I've been able to go in and excel at midnight or launch day but this one I have to play overly cautious just to be able to compete.

Wired wont make a difference in my experience. It's not my connection... i'm super close to major data centers in the North Eastern US with a great fiber connection... it's the majority of these individual red bar and yellow bar players who get paired with a full two teams of green 4 bars that seem to fuck it all up for everyone. I seriously wonder if people are flooding their bandwith on purpose like they used to to pull the good end of the lag comp as soon as the match starts.

Damm, anyone else feel like the zombie mode is lacking? I mean Shadow Of Evil is a good map but is no fun playing online with randoms. They really needed to give us two maps. The second map should have been a more simpler map like Kino, Nuketown or even Town. Where you can just play and don't really need to communicate. I know there is the Der Riese remake but I never wanted to spend £80 just for a extra map which will probably come with the season pass later like Nuketown zombies did for BOII.

It is already included in the season pass!

Nvzman

I'm not really experiencing any of the lag issues you guys are complaining about. Trust me, I am aware of lag and it's bullshit, but after playing Advanced Warfare for a long time, BF4 since launch, and MW3, this game's lag is nowhere near as bad. I fucking HATE AW for its laggy bullshit and I don't see any of it in this game save for every now and then when the connection is shitty.

Matticers

Aw yiss... double XP starting soon. Time to roll with the chaos playlist to rack up points on Nuketown all weekend. Cryptokeys and levels galore.

On ps4 do they enable Nuketown again once double xp starts?

I really doubt it but just choose the chaos moshpit playlist. As soon as Nuketown comes up, everyone will keep voting for it constantly until the lobby is broken up. Rinse and repeat. I still get Nuketown 90% of the time there. It's like the playlist never left. Or like they sprinkled in a tiny bit of map variety.

I'm not really experiencing any of the lag issues you guys are complaining about. Trust me, I am aware of lag and it's bullshit, but after playing Advanced Warfare for a long time, BF4 since launch, and MW3, this game's lag is nowhere near as bad. I fucking HATE AW for its laggy bullshit and I don't see any of it in this game save for every now and then when the connection is shitty.

Crazy... MW3 and AW played like a dream compared to BO3 for me lol... moral of the story is i think it's finally time for the fucking money making cash cow that is COD to go on fully dedicated servers.

Ensoul

Well I can confirm upgrading your Internet speed does not help. Went for 75/75 to 150/150 and I continue to lose every one on one fight.

Crazy... MW3 and AW played like a dream compared to BO3 for me lol... moral of the story is i think it's finally time for the fucking money making cash cow that is COD to go on fully dedicated servers.

MW3 launch was a thing of beauty for me

Nvzman

If you used anything that wasn't a BAL or an ASM1 in AW it became obvious after one match that the game's lag comp was seriously fucked. Insta-deaths ALL THE TIME, around corner deaths like crazy. Also the fact that shotgunning was absolutely fucking horrible due to the 1 hit melee and awful lag meaning you'd hit marker point blank and get fucking punched.
Maybe at launch but MW3 when I last played it was super shitty, at least on PS3.

If you used anything that wasn't a BAL or an ASM1 in AW it became obvious after one match that the game's lag comp was seriously fucked. Insta-deaths ALL THE TIME, around corner deaths like crazy. Also the fact that shotgunning was absolutely fucking horrible due to the 1 hit melee and awful lag meaning you'd hit marker point blank and get fucking punched.

Maybe at launch but MW3 when I last played it was super shitty, at least on PS3.

Personally, for me, AW was borked because of balance issues... not connection at all.

MW3, while having shit maps, played like a fucking dream for me... problem is community left.

Yup I remember posting this video last year when it came out. Was super pissed at that trash of a game.

Bolivar687

Banned
I was having awful network issues on wireless, and was confused as I didn't have the issues with other online MP games (Destiny). Switched to a wired connection and haven't had a single network related problem with Blops 3.

Yeah I'm really banking on this...

Wired wont make a difference in my experience. It's not my connection... i'm super close to major data centers in the North Eastern US with a great fiber connection... it's the majority of these individual red bar and yellow bar players who get paired with a full two teams of green 4 bars that seem to fuck it all up for everyone. I seriously wonder if people are flooding their bandwith on purpose like they used to to pull the good end of the lag comp as soon as the match starts.

The bars aren't so much the problem for me, it's the classic CoD problem of getting killed way faster than the kill cam shows. I'm similar to your setup although wireless - have always had a great connection to PSN and in other P2P games but this is the most consistently bad CoD has ever been connection wise.

Is there a GAF Blops III comunity? i would like to set up some private S&D games ; D
Edit: PS4

Yes. Look up my name (rmx687) and you can find it and request to join. Or post yoyr name and I'll add it when i get home. There's almost always someone playing but between Fallout and Star Wars I'm not sure we'll fill up S&D lobbies. But I'd be down.

The game was very derivative but for some reason MW3 was the most addicting CoD for me at launch. It had such a ridiculous amount of content that we might never see again, although Ghosts was up there as well.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
Where'd you hear this? The campaign has been universally panned from day one and rightly so, it's pure garbage. The multiplayer is fantastic which is why there's probably less people talking about the single player mode.

Damn. I really adored BLOPS1's campaign and haven't touch a CoD since. With reviews so wildly positive regarding the content proposition, I have been readying an impulse purchase.

Then I read this thread...

Valkrai

Anyone here on GAF play on Steam? Could use some partners for Zombies or MP.

I agree. While The Giant is already in the Season Pass, Shadows of Evil feels really tough to get into. The Giant is a much easier map, mostly because its a remake of WaW map.

Archpath1

Damn. I really adored BLOPS1's campaign and haven't touch a CoD since. With reviews so wildly positive regarding the content proposition, I have been readying an impulse purchase.

Yup
Campaign is poopy
Zombies is ok, just overcomplicated
Multiplayer is great, just adjust to it

Bolivar687

Banned

The campaign is praised as a robust Co op experience you can play and replay with friends with tons of customization and huge sprawling levels. But it's story doesn't have the same quality as Treyarch's past games or the pacing of Black Ops 1.

Yeah I'm really banking on this...
The bars aren't so much the problem for me, it's the classic CoD problem of getting killed way faster than the kill cam shows. I'm similar to your setup although wireless - have always had a great connection to PSN and in other P2P games but this is the most consistently bad CoD has ever been connection wise.

Well, for one, don't trust kill cams... the base nature of online gaming is that each player is experiencing slightly different things depending on connection, lag etc... so that kill cam where he somehow saw you first but on your screen you saw him first... that's just a fact of life for no unfortunately. At least until we get full dedicated servers and longer time to kills. That's why Halo 5 is infinitely more smooth and lag free. The ultra quick TTK's exacerbate the lag comp issues enormously.

So what's wrong with the campaign again? It seems visually interesting and there has been talk about changes made to encounters versus previous games.

I know I dont get people complaining about the campaign. It is the same as every year. Explosions, non-sense, shooting, set pieces, forgettable characters, it is cod after all. I thought the graphics were really good and i enjoyed the last mission.

In COD games I either play TDM, Domination or Gun Game. I notice a lot of comments regarding Kill Confirmed. I didn't know there was any difference between TDM and Kill Confirmed other than collecting a tag. Or am I wrong? :)

Hip Hop

In COD games I either play TDM, Domination or Gun Game. I notice a lot of comments regarding Kill Confirmed. I didn't know there was any difference between TDM and Kill Confirmed other than collecting a tag. Or am I wrong? :)

Your kills don't count on Kill Confirmed unless you pick the tag from the player you just killed, so yeah, that's pretty much the only difference. Personally, I enjoy Kill Confirmed more since you have to confirm 100 kills which leaves more room for more points and more exciting games than just your usual TDM affair.

Bolivar687

Banned

Yes but it also makes more sense to play KC in Black Ops games because of how much the scorestreaks cost. Grabbing a tag give you 150 points for your kills instead of just 100.

I love TDM and FFA but 5 kills for a UAV in these modes is insane.

Nokterian

Your kills don't count on Kill Confirmed unless you pick the tag from the player you just killed, so yeah, that's pretty much the only difference. Personally, I enjoy Kill Confirmed more since you have to confirm 100 kills which leaves more room for more points and more exciting games than just your usual TDM affair.

I think it was introduced in MW3 right? Good thing they picked it all up in the other CoD it is also my favorite mode.

Not sure what the point of cover is if you can shoot through some of it.

Just like real life... most cover that can be shot through makes sense... it's stuff like boxes and plywood. You're not shooting through a concrete wall or pillar in BO3. It's pretty obvious what can and cant protect you.

Thanks. So if I get killed before I reach the tag (which is a high probability in this game), then I don't get the points. Sounds quite cool indeed, didn't know that.

Top Bottom