• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Call of Duty: Black Ops III |OT| No Content For Old Gen

Gr1mLock

Passing metallic gas
I'm not a huge fan. I seem to die a lot while in the middle of planting the hives. I like that you can stick people with the hive though.

You just gotta get a feel for it. You're basically shooting claymores that stick to any surface. Wait until there aren't a ton of people around and get creative with your placement.

I also don't like perks like Awareness.
Me neither. Both it, and dead silence should be gone. Was it Black Ops 2 that people whined like crazy about not being able to sound whore in? Correct me if I'm wrong. But if it was, that's what things should go back to in my opinion. I want things to be about gunfights, not some jerk standing behind a rock near a high traffic area, waiting until he hears a couple of people run by, kills them with his silenced weapon, then moves to another place and repeats the pattern until he's dumping Lightning Strikes and Hellstorm missilies on people that he didn't really legitimately earn.

Xater

Tried both, and blasting it is nothing like that. Not to mention, at normal, non-deafening volumes I can't hear enemy footsteps at all with surround sound.

I said it's cheating because it's an external device that provides players with a large, and unfair advantage over those who don't use it, don't want to use it, or can't afford it.

There's a reason the Awareness perk icon is a pair of headphones, and not a 5.1 surround sound system.

I play with 5.1 and noticed the footsteps more whe I played with awareness. Personally though I didn't see my game improve much with just this perk. Only in combination with dead silence did it make sense. Because when your footsteps are gone the others are really apparent. Don't know if this perk combination is really worth 3 points though.

I play with 5.1 and noticed the footsteps more whe I played with awareness. Personally though I didn't see my game improve much with just this perk. Only in combination with dead silence did it make sense. Because when your footsteps are gone the others are really apparent. Don't know if this perk combination is really worth 3 points though.
Sure awareness might help a little, but with a good pair of headphones and those things? It's a damn big difference.

Regardless, as to one of my above posts, drop footsteps volume way back down, and get rid of Awareness and Dead Silence entirely, in my opinion.

Jblanks

You just gotta get a feel for it. You're basically shooting claymores that stick to any surface. Wait until there aren't a ton of people around and get creative with your placement.
Yea I hear yea. I find its pretty good for Domination/Safeguard once the robot is close to the point. Wonder how close double kills have to be from one another.
Me neither. Both it, and dead silence should be gone. Was it Black Ops 2 that people whined like crazy about not being able to sound who're in? If it was, that's what things should go back to in my opinion.

I've never had a problem with Dead Silence/Ninja perks because it comes in handy, and is efficient for anyone.

Xater

Sure awareness might help a little, but with a good pair of headphones and those things? It's a damn big difference.

Regardless, as to one of my above posts, drop footsteps volume way back down, and get rid of Awareness and Dead Silence entirely, in my opinion.

Oh I agree. I think that awareness is a perk is pretty dumb. Dead Silence I think would still be a cool thing to have.

Yea I hear yea. I find its pretty good for Domination/Safeguard once the robot is close to the point. Wonder how close double kills have to be from one another.

I've never had a problem with Dead Silence/Ninja perks because it comes in handy, and is efficient for anyone.
Sure, I'd just rather the perks didn't have to exist by not making enemy footsteps loud at all. Get rid of perks that don't need to exist so that the game can be more about gun battles and less about hunting down the pitter patter of someone's footsteps before shooting them from behind.

Has anyone gotten any of the body themes from the Black market yet? I just got the "Vampire" one for Prophet.

As well as the "Ice" camo to go on one of my favorite guns, the BRM. Not bad for just two common packs. Haha

geordiemp

I love the game but sometimes I got frustrated with the match making, I'm usually on the top of the leaderboards and it pairs with with everyone on the bottom. While the other team is everyone from 2 down.

I am same but I find the selection of games is great and very connection based, which puts BO3 >>>>>>>>>>>>>>> AW. I enjoy the low lag (UK) and 15 ms typical pings, its great.

I find myself just playing TDM solo with a launcher always on my back, so I dont really care what my team mates do. Something like DOM on the other hand...

Xater

Has anyone gotten any of the body themes from the Black market yet? I just got the "Vampire" one for Prophet.

As well as the "Ice" camo to go on one of my favorite guns, the BRM. Not bad for just two common packs. Haha

Not a single one sadly. Got a couple of epic camos though which I probably prefer anyway.

Me neither. Both it, and dead silence should be gone. Was it Black Ops 2 that people whined like crazy about not being able to sound whore in? Correct me if I'm wrong. But if it was, that's what things should go back to in my opinion. I want things to be about gunfights, not some jerk standing behind a rock near a high traffic area, waiting until he hears a couple of people run by, kills them with his silenced weapon, then moves to another place and repeats the pattern until he's dumping Lightning Strikes and Hellstorm missilies on people that he didn't really legitimately earn.

Say no more..amen..hallelujah..lol..Pretty much 9 out 10 lobby's I'm facing bum clowns like these are in it.

I am same but I find the selection of games is great and very connection based, which puts BO3 >>>>>>>>>>>>>>> AW. I enjoy the low lag (UK) and 15 ms typical pings, its great.

I find myself just playing TDM solo with a launcher always on my back, so I dont really care what my team mates do. Something like DOM on the other hand...

If you don't mind, where do I go about checking ping on PS4? Thx.

NIN90

They can remove Awareness and Dead Silence for all I care, but labeling headphone users as cheaters is pretty rich.

I really haven't had any trouble with people using awareness or dead silence. I use none of that and still end up as MVP. I don't give two damns if you hear me or not, you still won't be able to keep up with me. I just rely on visuals. And of course I don't ever run right in the middle of the open.

I've played the game a lot and don't think I've ever seen anyone hiding behind a rock listening to footsteps like a user above described. It's kind of hard to hide too; the areas in this game are still pretty small, and with tracker & sixth sense I'll know where you're hiding anyway.

Metro is horrid for Domination. Such a campy map around that B flag. First to get B wins the game. Yet to have a game where it switches hands easily.

They can remove Awareness and Dead Silence for all I care, but labeling headphone users as cheaters is pretty rich.
It really isn't. It gives them a big advantage, because of an external device that many people don't have. I don't care if people use headphones, but the audio for enemy footsteps should be dropped so that headphone users don't get the large advantage they do, so that sound whoring isn't possible. My argument was much more thorough than simply "headphone users are cheaters" which is not what I was saying.

RedAssedApe

Banned
Tried both, and blasting it is nothing like that. Not to mention, at normal, non-deafening volumes I can't hear enemy footsteps at all with surround sound.

I said it's cheating because it's an external device that provides players with a large, and unfair advantage over those who don't use it, don't want to use it, or can't afford it.

There's a reason the Awareness perk icon is a pair of headphones, and not a 5.1 surround sound system.

if it bothers you that much get a pair of earbuds and plug them into your ds4. not much of a drop-off in hearing footsteps imo headphones/earbuds in general are just going to do a better job of isolating footsteps unless you have a fantastic sound system.

legit question. do you consider yourself to be a decent player? i'm pretty average and i don't feel like any of these sound perks give you a significant advantage unless you're unwilling to change up your playstyle when you go up again people using it.

It really isn't. It gives them a big advantage, because of an external device that many people don't have. I don't care if people use headphones, but the audio for enemy footsteps should be dropped so that headphone users don't get the large advantage they do, so that sound whoring isn't possible. My argument was much more thorough than simply "headphone users are cheaters" which is not what I was saying.

what would be the point of positional audio in these games then? doing what you are saying would make sound even worse for non-headphone users. might as well play with sound off.

geordiemp

You have the choice of running dead silence and then your back to normal playing field, so you have a choice.

Each of the perks is a choice, a ninja dead silence player - just run scavenger and throw lots of concussions is an easy win..

Silencer makes guns into pea shooters, and you also need blast suppressor and ghost to be totally silent. Thats Ghost, blast, dead silence and silencer, thats allot of perks and points and then you get flash banged or naded.

If your team mates are around the next corer, then you can run. If there are no team mates around the corner then check your normal camping / set up points then you move forward slowly. Chuck an emp and see if it gets a marker...there are lots of strategies.

Lets face it, when you know the maps, most decent players know the routes and where people are coming from 95 % of the time.

If you are getting surprised all the time, you need to learn the maps, spawns traffic and camping spots. I am prestige 4 and I dont get surprised much anymore..

Being loud can also be an advantage if you are in a power position and have a strong AR, sitting there head glitching with tac mask and a flack jacket - you want people to run to you and you can see where you team mates are and know the traffic routes.

So, no, I totally disagree with everything you have said. Its harder to rush and flank being loud yes, but defensively its better with tac mask and AR, and being quiet is no benefit if good players know you direction of attack, which is normal.

When doing gold guns you have no perks for a while, guess what, dont play the flanking game then. Tac maks and flack is for getting stuck in, stealth perks are for flanking....its a choice.

I've used the Vesper more than the VMP.
The Vesper's range and recoil is awful, so it's actually balanced out rather nicely. It's exclusively effective at close-range, which is the purpose of the gun. Not to mention it demands constant reloading giving you some vulnerability.
VMP doesn't follow any of that logic. It hardly kicks, it's range isn't half bad, it fires faster than any other full-auto SMG besides the Vesper, and it also contains 40 bullets per magazine.
Please tell me how that makes any sense, because it fucking doesn't. Either nerf the clip size of the VMP, nerf the range again, or straight up lower the firerate. It's considered a top-tier SMG for a reason.

EDIT: Oh and look at that, pro players only using VMPs and M8s

Still crying about the vmp because you die by it I see. Did you not notice the reason they use the vmp is because the vesper is banned every single round because it's the best smg.

If pros thought the vmp was over powered it would get banned every round. The vmp is the only smg that competes with the vesper nerf that and it's gonna be even worse when every one is running vespers and instantly melting people.

if it bothers you that much get a pair of earbuds and plug them into your ds4. not much of a drop-off in hearing footsteps imo headphones/earbuds in general are just going to do a better job of isolating footsteps unless you have a fantastic sound system.

legit question. do you consider yourself to be a decent player? i'm pretty average and i don't feel like any of these sound perks give you a significant advantage unless you're unwilling to change up your playstyle when you go up again people using it.

what would be the point of positional audio in these games then? doing what you are saying would make sound even worse for non-headphone users. might as well play with sound off.
I simply don't like playing with earbuds or headphones. I've done it both ways. The problem is a lot of times, you don't realize someone is doing it until it's too late. They're already on you. And it's effective mostly in closer proximities. I consider myself a decent player.

I don't hear any difference in enemy footsteps in either this game, or Black Ops 2, and if I remember correctly, tons of people complained because they couldn't sound whore in that game. That, and the removal of those perks is what I'd love. headphone users could use headphones without gaining much advantage, and people like me, and many others who don't play with headphones wouldn't be getting screwed over.

You have the choice of running dead silence and then your back to normal playing field, so you have a choice.

Each of the perks is a choice, a ninja dead silence player - just run scavenger and throw lots of concussions.

Silencer makes guns into pea shooters, and you also need blast suppressor and ghost to be totally silent. Thats Ghost, blast, dead silence and silencer, thats allot of perks and points and then you get flash banged or naded.

Lets face it, when you know the maps, most decent players know the routes and where people are coming from 95 % of the time.

If you are getting surprised all the time, you need to learn the maps.

Being loud can also be an advantage if you are in a power position and have a strong AR, sitting there head glitching with tac mask and a flack jacket - you want people to run to you and you can see where you team mates are and know the traffic routes.

So, no, I totally disagree with everything you have said. Its harder to rush and flank being loud yes, but defensively its better with tac mask and AR, and being quiet is no benefit if good players know you direction of attack, which is normal.

The reason I totally disagree with you is because everything you said is contained within the game, in the perks and attachments.

My entire point has been, an external device, that not all people have, leads to a substantial advantage, and I shouldn't have to use a perk to cancel out some accessory that exists outside of the game, that is exacerbated by a perk that's also in the game.

I'm getting annoyed, I've learned the maps. I've seen the people who behave this way, and it's irritating to play against. They couldn't do it without an external device. We aren't talking about perks in game that everyone has access to. It's a completely different thing.

And no, this game is totally different. The unlimited sprint and movement system fucks things up, people can get all over the place so fast. Then you have instant respawn. Then you have water routes, and tons of routes to take in general. It's not like Black Ops 2 where route prediction was much more predictable. I've been playing CoD for many years, I know how these things work. This stuff just messes things up.

geordiemp

The reason I totally disagree with you is because everything you said is contained within the game, in the perks and attachments.

My entire point has been, an external device, that not all people have, leads to a substantial advantage, and I shouldn't have to use a perk to cancel out some accessory that exists outside of the game, that is exacerbated by a perk that's also in the game.

I'm getting annoyed, I've learned the maps. I've seen the people who behave this way, and it's irritating to play against. They couldn't do it without an external device. We aren't talking about perks in game that everyone has access to. It's a completely different thing.

Run dead silence and tac mask then, scavenger and a concussion, you will have an advantage to sound whoring enemies who cannot use 3 tier 3 perks....and you can listen to music while playing.

Every play style has a counter. Always.

Daffy Duck

I'm a filthy sound whore with my Astros and awareness. Couple it with dead silence and you're a machine.

It's not cheating it's just using the perk set you've got.

Run dead silence and tac mask then, scavenger and a concussion, you will have an advantage to sound whoring enemies who cannot use 3 tier 3 perks....and you can listen to music while playing.

I shouldn't have to change my playstyle because of an external device. We aren't talking about perks countering perks, things that all players have access to. This is a different thing. All I'm saying is that headphone users should gain no advantage over those who don't use them. That's it.

Problem with running dead silence is that awareness makes it useless. I feel like they messed these perks up. Dead silence should counter awareness 100%. You can hear people from so far away in this game even without awareness it gets distracting at times.

I'm a filthy sound whore with my Astros and awareness. Couple it with dead silence and you're a machine.

It's not cheating it's just using the perk set you've got.
It is cheating, because it takes an external device not all players use or can afford to do so. We aren't talking about something that all players have squeal access to. It's not just using a perk set. The perk set wouldn't be anywhere close to as effective without the external device.

Do you wanna ban low input lag TVs too? I mean not everyone can afford a new TV.
Not even remotely comparable considering that Treyarch could remove those perks, and alter the sound mix so that no advantage is given to headphone users. Not a valid analogy.

Do you wanna ban low input lag TVs too? I mean not everyone can afford a new TV.

Same here man with a scuf I'm a really filthy cheater, I have a 5.1 headset, my scuf and a gaming monitor. It's the trifecta of cheating.

Honestly to dude saying headsets are cheating if you are serious enough about cod to talk about it on a message board then you should have a decent headset to talk to your team with.

Please don't tell me you are that guy blasting his surround sound system into some crappy mic the whole game for the whole lobby to hear? Don't be that guy man

Same here man with a scuf I'm a really filthy cheater, I have a 5.1 headset, my scuf and a gaming monitor. It's the trifecta of cheating.

Honestly to dude saying headsets are cheating if you are serious enough about cod to talk about it on a message board then you should have a decent headset to talk to your team with.

Please don't tell me you are that guy blasting his surround sound system into some crappy mic the whole game for the whole lobby to hear? Don't be that guy man
Be sarcastic if you want to, that's fine, I don't care. I've made my points.

Be sarcastic if you want to, that's fine, I don't care. I've made my points.

I get your point but headsets have always been invaluable when playing cod. I will say footsteps are way to loud in this game. Playing Ffa with a headset on and dead silence/ awareness all I can hear is people running all over the map. I want it to go back to dead silence counters awareness.

The way it is now awareness trumps dead silence so you can't stop getting sound whored. I still don't think it's cheating but I understand what you are saying.

Please tell me you aren't the dude playing his surround system through his mic though right?

Daffy Duck

It is cheating, because it takes an external device not all players use or can afford to do so. We aren't talking about something that all players have squeal access to. It's not just using a perk set. The perk set wouldn't be anywhere close to as effective without the external device.

You can't afford a £40 headset?

I get your point but headsets have always been invaluable when playing cod. I will say footsteps are way to loud in this game. Playing Ffa with a headset on and dead silence/ awareness all I can hear is people running all over the map. I want it to go back to dead silence counters awareness.

The way it is now awareness trumps dead silence so you can't stop getting sound whored. I still don't think it's cheating but I understand what you are saying.

Please tell me you aren't the dude playing his surround system through his mic though right?
We disagree then. I definitely think it's cheating. I don't use a mic at all anymore. Most of the people I used to play with have quit the series because they got sick of all the bullshit within it. I've been playing online since CoD 4. Of course I don't play my surround sound through my mic. :)

I honestly don't have a problem with people using headsets. I just don't want them to have an advantage over non-users. The point of frustration to me last night, was a guy on Hunted, who was doing well throughout the game, and would catch me from behind, as he moved from hiding spot to hiding spot, as I walked by. When we'd face off in an actual one on one gunfight, I destroyed him every time. That's what frustrates me. I want less cheap stuff. More gunfights, positioning, tactics. Treyarch is a great studio, but this game is disappointing to me in a lot of ways, even though it has some good stuff. I'll go 30-4 in this game, and still get irritated. I don't get irritated when people kill me fairly. It's when the bullshit starts adding up that it annoys me.

I hated Advanced Warfare and Ghosts. Hell, I'd just been playing Black Ops 2 this year instead of them. I've just been really frustrated with CoD for a long time I suppose.

I only have a headset because I game at night and don't wish to keep my family awake due to the noise.
See, and that's totally understandable. It makes perfect sense. Like I said above, I just don't want headphone users to have an advantage over people who don't use headphones. That's all.

It's always been in CoD though, MW2 was even more easier to hear people.
Hadn't people complained about not being able to sound whore in a number of CoD games? I mentioned this in my earlier posts, but I seem to recall that in Black Ops 2. I could be wrong.

Part of what makes it worse is the movement system in my opinion, it's so easy to get all over the map, and make everything chaotic, often easily flank, and track people by their footsteps.

Sh0k

See, and that's totally understandable. It makes perfect sense. Like I said above, I just don't want headphone users to have an advantage over people who don't use headphones. That's all.

I have a good sorround system that does the same effect as the headphones when using Awareness, is not only headphones users.

I have a good sorround system that does the same effect as the headphones when using Awareness, is not only headphones users.
Yes, but I'd imagine it's the exception. And I'd still want things adjusted so that the advantage in surround systems that provide one are nullified too.

I think I'll spend the rest of today trying to unlock diamon camo on my LMG's.

And then rarely ever use the diamond camo on my LMG's. Hahaha

Top Bottom