• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Call of Duty: Black Ops III |OT| No Content For Old Gen

feel like nobody uses range guns any more, everyone just runs around with SMGs. been like this blackops 2.
It's become more and more like that through the games based on the movement system, map design, perk system, etc.

At least in Black Ops 2 you could be more effective with ranged weapons, and a more defensive playstyle as well, than you can in this game.

I prestiged for the first time ever in a call of duty game. I don't know, this one is just so much fun. I perm unlocked scavenger, somehow I only noticed last night that it gives you more ammo for your grenades too. Anyhow, I also have a bad habit of prestiging my guns despite my favorite combinations being towards the end of its level up cycle

jorgejjvr

I just went back to the MoW after using the Pharo for a long period of time, and I'm doing really well with it. I think lots of guns in this game are viable.
They are all viable, I really don't think this is an smg only game

I can do great with my pharo as well as the xr2

Some weapons are better for certain maps as well

They are all viable, I really don't think this is an smg only game

I can do great with my pharo as well as the xr2

Some weapons are better for certain maps as well
You're right. There are plenty of viable guns. But it's the structure of how the game is designed in many facets that encourages and caters to a run and gun playstyle and takes tools, and the ability to be as effective as a defense player away, devolving the game more into one playstyle throughout the past few CoD games. And that's the problem.

I have to say. I've fallen in love with sniping in this game the past few days. Collaterals, one hit kills, tons of headshots, what's not to love? Haha

WaLlbaNg

But it's the structure of how the game is designed in many facets that encourages and caters to a run and gun playstyle and takes tools, and the ability to be as effective as a defense player away, devolving the game more into one playstyle throughout the past few CoD games. And that's the problem.
I think this is not true - each map has many different power positions which are very important to keep possessed for your team. Headglitches are also very strong and if used right absolutly devastating for your opponent

I think this is not true - each map has many different power positions which are very important to keep possessed for your team. Headglitches are also very strong and if used right absolutly devastating for your opponent
I think it's totally true. Most of those power positions can be negated by someone floating right into a window simply by holding a button. Not to mention a perk that prevents shock charges and trip mines from even activating, and C4 alarms from being triggered. The head glitch spots? Often they're on corners, and someone with a Vesper can just float way over your head, and at that point you're supposed to take them out with a Gorgon, or a Sniper rifle?

Black Ops 2 did a much better job of this. Both run and gun, and defensive styles could be very effective, and with less of the bullshit.

Note that I said it LESSENS the effectiveness of those styles, while greatly benefitting the run and gun style. It's harder to be as effective simply because of the things that I've mentioned. It's not impossible. But it's skewed greatly towards the run and gun style and I think that's so easy to see. It's a continued devolvement into one playstyle being catered to, the defensive playstyle being made less effective through the game design and the depth of the game being reduced.

seems like maps should be double the size for anything other than smgs to be effectiv.
Removing unlimited sprint, the movement system, and making a few other changes would largely solve these problems. A person shouldn't be able to negate a power position like the church on Infected just because they can hold a button to float into the window and spray someone with a Vesper, while that person is armed with just the Locus sniper rifle. Like I said above, this lessens the depth and tactics of the game, and turns it even more into a mindless run and gun fest.

WaLlbaNg

I think it's totally true. Most of those power positions can be negated by someone floating right into a window simply by holding a button. Not to mention a perk that prevents shock charges and trip mines from even activating, and C4 alarms from being triggered. The head glitch spots? Often they're on corners, and someone with a Vesper can just float way over your head, and at that point you're supposed to take them out with a Gorgon, or a Sniper rifle?

Black Ops 2 did a much better job of this. Both run and gun, and defensive styles could be very effective, and with less of the bullshit.
I can assure you that you won't be able to do that against a strong AR player/slayer and that you have to flank intelligently and or use routes with close ranges to have a chance against ARs.

The second part of your quote is definitly true for BO3. There is a reason why most players in competitive matches use ARs, for example my team usually has 1 SMG player and only more of necessary for a special hill or situation

Spizz

Banned
Just played a game of Domination on Nuketown where there were was 6 of us vs. 1 person for 90% of the round lol.

What a trooper.

I can assure you that you won't be able to do that against a strong AR player/slayer and that you have to flank intelligently and or use routes with close ranges to have a chance against ARs.

The second part of your quote is definitly true for BO3. There is a reason why most players in competitive matches use ARs, for example my team usually has 1 SMG player and only more of necessary for a special hill or situation
I've done it plenty of times, and had it done to me plenty of times. It's easier than it's ever been except with the exception of Advanced Warfare, and maybe Ghosts with its ridiculously mazelike maps. But those are Assault rifles. What about LMG's and snipers? They're primarily what I was referring to when I spoke of defensive weapons, and a defensive playstyle. Because that's largely their role. Long to mid range effectiveness, while being quite weak up close generally.

Not to mention the games enormous amount of routes and unlimited sprint make it extremely easy to flank, and again, make it require less thought and tactics, for rushers to get close to people and in their effective range.

WaLlbaNg

I've done it plenty of times, and had it done to me plenty of times. But those are Assault rifles. What about LMG's and snipers? They're primarily what I was referring to when I spoke of defensive weapons, and a defensive playstyle. Because that's largely their role. Long to mid range effectiveness, while being quite weak up close generally.

I never liked LMGs in CoD because they are essentially camp and spray weapons - but they are (unfortunately) still viable for this exact purpose but weaker than ARs because of the magazine size.

Snipers are harder to master and only viable in some maps (Stronghold and Fringe mostly) like always not viable in competitive except for search.

Essentially you have to be more aware of your sourrounding but can essentially lock down areas easily - and players pushing you have to pass this zone somehow. Mindless running gets extremly punished by headglitches
Not to mention the games enormous amount of routes and unlimited sprint make it extremely easy to flank, and again, make it require less thought and tactics, for rushers to get close to people and in their effective range.

IMO three lane maps offer the least amount of routes and I think that a movement system like BO3 (and AW! I really appreciate them introducing new movement) only offers a higher skill ceiling both in gunfights and in tactics cause you can no longer simply aim down a corridor without thinking about your environment or having to aim

I never liked LMGs in CoD because they are essentially camp and spray weapons - but they are (unfortunately) still viable for this exact purpose but weaker than ARs because of the magazine size.

Snipers are harder to master and only viable in some maps (Stronghold and Fringe mostly) like always not viable in competitive except for search.

Essentially you have to be more aware of your sourrounding but can essentially lock down areas easily - and players pushing you have to pass this zone somehow. Mindless running gets extremly punished by headglitches
See this is what I hate. LMG's are not "camp" weapons, or "spray" weapons. They're defensive and suppression weapons, and it takes a lot of skill to be effective with them. Playing defensively and camping are not the same thing, just like playing an intelligent run and gun style isn't the same thing as the spazzer playstyle. I could call SMG's spazz weapons, because most people mindlessly flail about the map with them, but I don't insult other people's weapon choice or playstyle, but I don't see them as that, even if that's how many people use them. They're excellent weapons if a skilled player uses them. I like SMG's as well.

I love snipers as well. And assault rifles. I just never really use shotguns. But it's clear to day as me how the game is designed and catered to the specific run and gun playstyle at the expense of defensive playstyles.

You sound like you play with a party often, am I wrong? If not try locking down areas with randoms. I could do it MUCH more effectively in Black Ops 2, because the game wasn't so catered to the run and gun playstyle, wth cheap things like floating into windows and over cover easily.

Locking down areas has never been harder than in this game with the exceptions of Ghosts and Advanced Aarfare as I've detailed. It's never been so easy to flank, it's never been so easy to negate power positions, and sure sometimes you can catch people at cover. The point is was making isn't that you can't do these things effectively still. Just not nearly as effectively, or as often.

WaLlbaNg

I guess my definition of defensive play is another than yours- at least I can tell you that LMGs are not suitable for my definition because of their movement limitation- and for playing defensive you still have to be mobile in your area- which is absolutely necesarry for locking down an area

And this is still the most effective playstyle

You sound like you play with a party often, am I wrong? If not try locking down areas with randoms. I could do it MUCH more effectively in Black Ops 2, because the game wasn't so catered to the run and gun playstyle, wth cheap things like floating into windows and over cover easily.

Locking down areas has never been harder than in this game with the exceptions of Ghosts and Advanced Warfare

Public I play often solo or with a group of 3 or 4 - GBs, tournaments and scrims with my team- and comp is of course another world.

Even though playing solo defensively is still possible (If I notice my team gets destroyed and the enemies go for streaks, I always go for the ARs) and as I said most effectively because you go high risks with rushing if you do not know what you are doing and end up in the open areas aus free kills

Why was it harder to lock down areas in Ghost? (for me harder means always better because it is more challenging- and a game where locking down areas would be pretty lame).It was definitively harder but I really liked AW for its movement system (still not perfect) and eliminating headglichtes and of course that made it easier to flank (which is good because the defender is always in advantage and using good movement should be a possibility to break setups)

I guess my definition of defensive play is another than yours- at least I can tell you that LMGs are not suitae for my definitin because of their movement limitation- and for playing defensive you still have to be mobile in your area- which is absolutely necesarry for locking down an area
LMG's are all about positioning. I pay attention to my map, the spawns, and I patrol areas. If there's a hot zone with lots of enemies I stay there for a while. I try to go where I'm needed. I just love playing that way, and it's frustrating to feel like the game design makes that less viable than it used to be, while making the run and gun style even more viable.

You can patrol an area and still be mobile with an LMG.

I'm sorry if I came off harsh at all in my previous post.

EL CUCO

Welp

Going for Dark Matter camo.

I hadn't used anything but SMG's until now. I don't even know if it's gonna be worth it but oh well lol

WaLlbaNg

LMG's are all about positioning. I pay attention to my map, the spawns, and I patrol areas. If there's a hot zone with lots of enemies I stay there for a while. I try to go where I'm needed. I just love playing that way, and it's frustrating to feel like the game design makes that less viable than it used to be, while making the run and gun style even more viable.

You can patrol an area and still be mobile with an LMG.

I'm sorry if I came off harsh at all in my previous post.

I definetly recommend using ARs for that, I currently have to play LMGs for the camos and they absolutely suck for moving around (which is necessary because you have to get yourself in appropoiate positions even when playing defensively.

LMGs outguning ARs would be a problem due to their magazine size(like the Gorgon pre-nerf) so I always see them as balanzing problem because they need to be bad

I definetly recommend using ARs for that, I currently have to play LMGs for the camos and they absolutely suck for moving around (which is necessary because you have to get yourself in appropoiate positions even when playing defensively
I do really well with the LMG's. I actually don't like that many of the assault rifles in the game. I've been playing online since CoD 4, and I vastly prefer LMG's and Sniper rifles most of the time, over Assault rifles. For that purpose, and just in general. I get around just fine with the LMG's. I just move tactically.

LMG's outrunning AR's isn't a problem. LMG's are supposed to be suppression weapons.

The Gorgon never even needed a nerf in the first place in my opinion.

WaLlbaNg

The Gorgon never even needed a nerf in the first place in my opinion.

2shot kill at any range was a little crazy especially as more and more people started running it- unfortunately I am now stuck with getting headshots with the nerfed gun...

Have you tried the Man-o-war? Slower fire rate and extremly powerfull - my go to AR in comp when I ban the M8

2shot kill at any range was a little crazy especially as more and more people started running it- unfortunately I am now stuck with getting headshots with the nerfed gun...

Have you tried the Man-o-war? Slower fire rate and extremly powerfull - my go to AR in comp when I ban the M8
It came with enormous downsides. It fires at 400 rpm, (I think. I could be wrong. Someone feel free to correct me if I am.) had a 50 round mag, had awful ads time, (I think. It's terrible now at least.) and reload time, and was terrible up close, along with plenty of recoil.

The Man o war is ok. I don't really like it. I much prefer the LMG's.

Guys, if you ever start shooting a Spectre and he escapes around a corner, DO NOT follow him around the corner to finish him. I've shanked many people who are determined to kill me in that fashion.

Top Bottom