• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 |OT|

The surprise box killstreak (whatever its called) seems ideal to use as bait.

Havent played the game yet, but im not too worried about the mp having too many options.

I remember thinking the same thing when i first played cod4 online.........and i adjusted just fine.

Question: is special ops as fun as nazi zombies?

GDJustin

stuck my tongue deep inside Atlus' cookies
boredofcanada said:
The surprise box killstreak (whatever its called) seems ideal to use as bait.

I did this in an FFA game. Dropped a supply crate, went to the window across the way, picked dudes off as they kept running up to it :lol

In team games it's better to just take the bonus.

AnIco said:
I hope review scores for this game take into account the weak single player campaign. IW has had a long time to try and refine the gameplay of CoD and make it better. Sadly, they lied about making any changes whatsoever. The fact that infinitely spawning enemies is still in this game just shows how dated it is. That shit should not be a major component in any modern title.
It seems like for a lot of reviewers that big games are off-limits to criticism when they review a game. The closest reviewers got to criticizing the first MW was they mentioned it was heavily scripted, but didn't mention the waves of enemies or the grenade spam. I really doubt they will pound on this game either. I agree with you too, the spawn system and grenades are awful and I don't really want to replay the single player after playing it once, whereas I played through the first Call of Duty multiple times, which didn't have those problems. I'm not saying IW is lazy or they don't know how to make a game, but what they have now needs some work. I've played through HL2 and its episodes many times, and that game uses scripted events too but they're not annoying and don't feel mechanical or bland on replays. I wish that MW was the same.

Truant

Are you guys seriously defending the story in a Call of Duty game? I'm the guy who has played Planescape: Torment six times just to get all aspects of the plot, but halfway through this game I couldn't give you one character name, let alone a mission backround. There's no flow at all, they just put you in a bunch of missions that feel like a Hits-of-the-90's CD.

Almak

Truant said:
Are you guys seriously defending the story in a Call of Duty game? I'm the guy who has played Planescape: Torment six times just to get all aspects of the plot, but halfway through this game I couldn't give you one character name, let alone a mission backround. There's no flow at all, they just put you in a bunch of missions that feel like a Hits-of-the-90's CD.
Not disagreeing about the quality of Planescape story but I don't think an RPG story telling is even remotely comparable to that of an FPS.
That said though I haven't played MW2 yet so I cant comment myself on the quality there.

Truant

Almak said:
Not disagreeing about the quality of Planescape story but I don't think an RPG story telling is even remotely comparable to that of an FPS.
That said though I haven't played MW2 yet so I cant comment myself on the quality there.

I didn't compare the two games, I was just naming PS:T for reference that I'm a guy who doesn't just have the attention span of a five year old. I really tried to get into the story here, but I don't have a clue of what's going on, besides what I'm doing in the actual mission.
Like I said, there are some really cool moments here, that are very engaging and exciting to be a part of, but as a whole it doesn't work on a narrative level. It reminds me in a way of an Argento movie, which is all style over substance, yet the comparison is very flawed, and I love Argento.

Am I the only one who is mainly buying Modern Warfare 2 for spec-ops and multiplayer? I am going to play through the campaign, sure, but I do not hold it as the 'meat' of the game by any means.

Lé Blade Runner said:
Am I the only one who is mainly buying Modern Warfare 2 for spec-ops and multiplayer? I am going to play through the campaign, sure, but I do not hold it as the 'meat' of the game by any means.

No most people buy CoD games for the campaign

MMaRsu

Stores here in The Netherlands are selling it.. let's hope they all break the embargo now that stores are already selling it.

p1000645s.jpg

( not my pic btw )

gillFTR

Lé Blade Runner said:

Im in the same boat as you...my hype for this game is huge...but singleplayer is maybe I might play it for an hour or two if it doesnt keep my interest ill probably never complete it. My friends thought I was a big fan of FPS's but I guess I just love online FPS's. Am I the only one who finds FPS singleplayer to lack story and character development, something to grab you.

Almak

Truant said:
I didn't compare the two games, I was just naming PS:T for reference that I'm a guy who doesn't just have the attention span of a five year old. I really tried to get into the story here, but I don't have a clue of what's going on, besides what I'm doing in the actual mission.
Like I said, there are some really cool moments here, that are very engaging and exciting to be a part of, but as a whole it doesn't work on a narrative level. It reminds me in a way of an Argento movie, which is all style over substance, yet the comparison is very flawed, and I love Argento.
Though thinking back to MW1 I personally wouldn't call the story itself that outstanding or unique there either. Though it served as a great vehicle to the action set pieces the game provided that actually carried it forward. May be that really is all that it tries to achieve here as well? May be the substance of the progression is entirely due to the credit of those grandiose set pieces and the action they dictate rather than the premise they are based on?
Sorry if I'm rambling a bit here, I guess what I'm trying to say is that it doesn't seem all that uncommon for CoD in general to present itself this way. Personally I'd be hard pressed to remember any memorable characters from, well say CoD1 or even MW1 (apart from a select few). It is a shame that the series isn't more developed in that sense all the same though.

Enosh

Great King Bowser said:
Anyone know if the retail PC version can be activated on Steam yet?

Invalid CD Key Message
If you attempt to activate the game before the retail release date, you will receive the message "Invalid CD Key". You will be able to activate your CD Key on the retail release date, currently set for November 10th.

https://support.steampowered.com/kb_article.php?ref=3991-EOAV-1596

oh the PC manual aperantly has this
http://www.shrani.si/f/1f/10S/JL12MpL/cod6.jpg (not my picture, didn't get my copy today, lazy mailman -.-)

look under spec ops, "experience spec ops localy in split screen mode"
split screen for PC confirmed or just a copy/paste from the console manual that no one bothered to correct?

with the curent standing of IW it can go either way :D

it also has a "bring up console" button so...

Dabanton

soldat7 said:
I hated the first Modern Warfare...I hope I like this one cause it's on its way! At least the co-op should be fun..

So you hated the first game,but are buying the sequel?

Why didn't you like the first game?

GDJustin said:
I don't see why any of this amounts to you describing MW2 as a new benchmark in videogame storytelling or whatever hyperbolic phrase you used. Yes,
the player is betrayed.
So what? Nothing about that is new or revolutionary. Quite the contrary - it's almost a little cliched. And so many characters
ending up dead, with the player in control of their final moments, is a page right out of COD4's playbook. And COD4's scene was more emotionally impacting IMO. Probably because nothing like that had been done before. In COD4 your only reaction could be "ooooooh shit" but now, my reaction was "this is like the COD4 nuke scene."

Look dude, I'm liking MW2 a lot. I was hating on it earlier in this topic, but the more I play, the more I like. It's one of the best games released this year. The game actually makes me feel FRANTIC. Something that nothing but the MW franchise does, for me. The gunplay is great. The set pieces are fantastic. The attention to detail is impressive.

But the storyline? It serves as an excuse to serve up said gameplay, and not much more. Things we don't get include but are not limited to:

- Character development of any kind.
- A CLEAR connection between some of the missions (someone earlier mentioned that it seemed a few missions had been cut, and I agree. Who was Raptor, in the surburban Burger Joint stage?
- Closure
- A clear connection with MW1. You get a brief and frankly vague and confusing voiceover in the beginning, and then it's off to the races.

MW2 has no characters. Even the villain is underdeveloped. How in the world can that make it an example of some of the best videogame storytelling ever? How can you care about
Shepherd's betrayal when all he had been up to that point was a voice telling you your mission objectives?

It's like calling Crash Bandicoot one of the GREATEST PLATFORMING EXPERIENCES EVER. It's like yeah... it's pretty good, but let's not go crazy.
Most of what you say is related to story, not the way that it's told. The act of betrayal has nothing to do with anything, I saw that twist coming a mile off, it was the way that it was done. I havnt played any games that shot my face off, tossed me in a pit, then burnt me alive just after I'd fought and won against a small army.As a player, during that moment, I wasnt feeling deep emotions, what I registered was the loss of control and the game belittling my shallow interaction with it

.nimrod

theignoramus said:
Most of what you say is related to story, not the way that it's told. The act of betrayal has nothing to do with anything, I saw that twist coming a mile off, it was the way that it was done. I havnt played any games that shot my face off, tossed me in a pit, then burnt me alive As a player, during that moment, I wasnt feeling deep emotions, what I registered was the loss of control.

Yeah, especially the scene after you fought in that mansion protecting the harddrive. It was a pretty hard and long fight. After that you try to escape while being shot at from all sides, running towards the pickup point only to be gunned down by enemies. Then ghost drags you the last few metres through that field while you are still shooting guys. And when you finally make it, Shepherd shoots you, you're thrown into dirt, they pour gas all over you and set you on fire.
At that moment i just thought "Shepherd you bastard, i'm gonna kill you and it won't be pretty >:|"

First time i've ever felt like that in an fps.

3rd person mode is surprisingly good. Tried it last night on a lark with some friends, simply to see it and we ended up sticking with it for 4 or 5 matches in a row. The mode plays somewhat like team tactical, rotating game modes between TDM, CTF, Domination, etc.
It does feel tacked on, but it definitely works well. I wish there was a way to switch between left/right shoulder, as your character only uses his right shoulder, so peering around corners on the left is risky, but other than that, it works splendidly.
I'll definitely be playing more 3rd person mode

nib95

Banned
MarkMclovin said:
There doesn't seem to be any recoil in the weapons, what so ever.

So basically, the game is as n00b friendly as ever. Copious amounts of auto aim as well I presume? FFS....bring on KZ3 already please.

I just hate that devs like to want to spoon feed us on games these days. I don't mind so much on certain things, but with fps, which have been around long enough for many gamers to have gotten to grips with the controls/mechanics, it's about time there was more reward in it for you know, the skilled gamers. Who are willing to invest the time and effort for more precise manual aiming, and not have the game hold their hand through it all.

.nimrod

nib95 said:
So basically, the game is as n00b friendly as ever.[...]

Yeah, but that also makes the game harder for experienced players. You can still own everyone else, but you have to be a lot better than the other players.
I don't see why that's a bad thing.

Yoshi256

Banned
BrassMonkey1010 said:
either im still drunk from last night, or that is not in english.

Sorry, but I couldn't find any English reviews yet.

Here in Germany we are a little bit faster. :D

Or the review embargo has ended earlier. ;)

My PC copy arrived -

2gy5afl.jpg

"Not for sale in UK" it has on the back, thanks CoolShop :lol

Edit - Wow, what a worthless sorry peice of shit for a manual :lol And DAMN YOU STEAM for locking me out until Tuesday :(

My thoughts on CoD4's story:

• The actual story itself wasn't that groundbreaking; in fact, it was pretty typical fare. Evil dude blows up cities and threatens to launch more attacks, so you sneak in and stop it. I'll be honest; I can't even remember if he was trying to attack the U.S. or another country right now...which should show you how memorable the actual story was.
  • What the game did so well was to create memorable set pieces that felt real, intense, and urgent. Things like
    the ship falling apart at the beginning, being executed during the opening credits, the nuke, the AC-130, and those final shots
    were incredible holy-crap-did-you-see-that moments.
  • CoD4 also was paced well, breaking up intense missions by dropping in a couple of stealth missions, the AC-130, etc...

What CoD4 did was to show that you could build a traditional, mission-based FPS campaign while still making it feel like one continuous, fluid experience, and they sprinkled in a good number of "oh shit" moments as well. This is as opposed to something like, say, Halo 3: ODST, which, for all of it's good points, is paced about as poorly as any game could possibly be.

I haven't played MW2 yet
(i hate you guys who have it already)
, so I can't comment on that game, but it sounds like it's more of the same. Which is good, but it won't have the same impact now that it did back then.

F#A#Oo

Banned
nib95 said:
So basically, the game is as n00b friendly as ever. Copious amounts of auto aim as well I presume? FFS....bring on KZ3 already please.

Killzone? :lol :lol :lol

Guerilla has to first learn how to make a decent FPS. Graphics were good inKZ2. Gameplay rigid/stiff and slow. MP is broken and needed ALOT of work...

If Guerilla wasn't owned by Sony they would have been a defunct developer by now...

Top Bottom