• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 |OT|

Massa

VibratingDonkey said:
Some honesty is finally starting to come out of that guy's mouth. Pretty much flat out says "we don't give a shit about you".

I'm not really a fan of IW or Cod but that's not what he's saying at all.

dallow_bg

nods at old men
theignoramus said:
Anyone that hated on the story before they played it will probably think again. It's quite self aware and well told. When the dust settles, this game will be looked at as a step forward for storytelling in video games, I think.
:lol
I'm halfway through it and can barely recall the character's names.

LowParry

Well fuck my life tomorrow. I'm going to go get me that WalMart deal with the Xbox Arcade deal. I just can't pass up such a great deal. I'll be Jumping back in :D MW2 for the 360 just feels right. Sorry PC :( You still get Starcraft 2! Don't feel bad!

ezekial45

Banned
Gary Whitta said:
No early bay area sightings? I'm not holding out much hope but you never know. It's days like this I miss working on a games mag :)

I'm seriously wondering if i should head to Chinatown tomorrow to look for a copy. Hell, i might check Japantown too.

Skilotonn

xbot xbot xbot xbot xbot
Probably because I'm playing through on Veteran right away, I haven't had the luxury of sitting around in one spot to see if enemies actually did respawn - as I pushed forward, those certain enemies didn't respawn...

There was one level that had them continue to spawn behind you, probably to make sure you move forward, but I have no clue if they were infinite or not - I guess on easy you can play around and test it for yourself...

Anyways, I think I made it through halfway of the SP, and half of Spec-Ops in co-op, both on Veteran straight off the bat, and it's been great so far - AI can be a bit on the super-aim side though, but it's doable with no real problems...

Man, I didn't even touch multiplayer yet even and I'm about to hit the sack right now...

nib95

Banned
theignoramus said:
Like I said, I really doubt that the AI infinitely respawns. The more critical issue is the fact that every time I die, I feel like it's because I dont know where the AI spawning from...and that's maddening.
I feel the exact opposite in AI driven shooters, I die because I've been out maneuvered and 'outsmarted, which is not frustrating at all, that makes me want to keep playing and try a fundamentally different approach.

This is a good post. I'm anxious to play it myself, but I fear some of the niggling issues from the previous title may have carried over here. Disappointing that given the short length of the campaign, it couldn't be a lot more sophisticated and polished.

strikeselect

You like me, you really really like me!
theignoramus said:
Like I said, I really doubt that the AI infinitely respawns. The more critical issue is the fact that every time I die, I feel like it's because I dont know where the AI spawning from...and that's maddening.
I feel the exact opposite in AI driven shooters, I die because I've been out maneuvered and 'outsmarted, which is not frustrating at all, that makes me want to keep playing and try a fundamentally different approach.

The thing about CoD games is you die so easily that just one shot can kill you. The player doesn't have enough time to OBSERVE whether the AI outmaneuvered them or not so it can feel random and frustrating at times.

Rikyfree said:
Lol, I know. I've watched the whole campaign. Doesn't even hold a candle to Uncharted's story.
I dont even fucking remember Uncharted 2's story. Shambalah? Shangri-Lah? Chloe's ass?

I'm halfway through it and can barely recall the character's names.
The things this game is doing with its storytelling will be talked about, although I expect some people to miss some of its commentaries and dismiss it as a mindless action game.
I'm not blowing smoke out of my ass , I can point out at least a half dozen instances where the game is driving home a point loud and fucking clear and doing it in a really hard hitting, matter of fact, audacious manner. I think it is the sort of thing that's a step forward for storytelling in video games, and I'm sure plenty of others will agree once they play through the campaign.

nib95

Banned
theignoramus said:
I dont even fucking remember Uncharted 2's story. Shambalah? Shangri-Lah? Chloe's ass?

The things this game is doing with its storytelling will be talked about, although I expect some people to miss some of its commentaries and dismiss it as a mindless action game.

It was actually an awesome adventure story that had great pacing. Love how it's so global, Borneo, Istanbul, Nepal, Tibet etc. Unlike most games where you just appear in places without proper narrative backing, in U2 everything is expertly connected together, really making transitions feel relevant and seamless.

Though I will agree, the underlying tale is just that of a treasure hunt. It's the twists, turns and places along with the characters within that simple that makes the story.

AnIco

theignoramus said:

I'm not blowing smoke out of my ass , I can point out at least a half dozen instances where the game is driving home a point loud and fucking clear and doing it in a really hard hitting, matter of fact, audacious manner. I think it is the sort of thing that's a step forward for storytelling in video games, and I'm sure plenty of others will agree once they play through the campaign.

Metal Gear Solid came out in 1998, yo.

AnIco

theignoramus said:
Nah, Infinity Ward arent trying to make interactive movies.

You were talking about the story aspects, in particular the issue of games 'driving a point home'. Other games have done it. MGS did it in 1998. And at that time, it actually was a huge step forward. MW2 will not be remember as some sort of radical shift in videogame storytelling. That claim is pretty hilarious. Just needs more eminem music and 50 cent voice acting to really drive the point home.

AnIco said:
You were talking about the story aspects, in particular the issue of games 'driving a point home'. Other games have done it. MGS did it in 1998. And at that time, it actually was a huge step forward. MW2 will not be remember as some sort of radical shift in videogame storytelling. That claim is pretty hilarious. Just needs more eminem music and 50 cent voice acting to really drive the point home.
I didnt say it would be remembered for 'driving a point home', I said it would be remembered for the way in which it did so. You probably havnt even played or beaten the game. Have you?

AnIco

theignoramus said:
I didnt say it would be remembered for 'driving a point home', I said it would be remembered for the way in which it did so. You probably havnt even played or beaten the game. Have you?

No, not yet. But I'll be sure to reiterate that you're wrong once I do.

jehuty

I want this game so bad but i'm not sure if my computer can handle it. It surpasses the minimum specs but my computer doesn't have a dedicated Gpu (I have an intel core duo @ 2.60 ghz and 4.00 GB of ram/ integrated graphics). You guys think i'll need to buy a Gpu for my computer to run this game?

jehuty said:
I want this game so bad but i'm not sure if my computer can handle it. It surpasses the minimum specs but my computer doesn't have a dedicated Gpu (I have an intel core duo @ 2.60 ghz and 4.00 GB of ram/ integrated graphics). You guys think i'll need to buy a Gpu for my computer to run this game?

Um, yes!!

AnIco said:
No, not yet. But I'll be sure to reiterate that you're wrong once I do.
I'm pretty confident I'm gunna be right about this. I went into the story with the exact same dismissive attitude you have now, called the game a two faced Hollywood knock off, and expected nothing but Jerry Bruckheimer, jingoistic nonsense. I'm glad I was wrong.

theignoramus said:
I'm pretty confident I'm gunna be right about this. I went into the story with the exact same dismissive attitude you have now, called the game a two faced Hollywood knock off, and expected nothing but Jerry Bruckheimer, jingoistic nonsense. I'm glad I was wrong.

So the story is presented in the exact opposite fashion as all six previous entries then? I just can't ever contemplate the sophistication of something like Half Life 2 out of a Call of Duty game, they're the polar opposite in the shooter spectrum.

brain_stew said:
So the story is presented in the exact opposite fashion as all six previous entries then? I just can't ever contemplate the sophistication of something like Half Life 2 out of a Call of Duty game, they're the polar opposite in the shooter spectrum.
It's nothing like a Valve game.
It's just that the game's story hammers the indestructible, all powerful super soldier cliche on the nose, then beats the shit out of itself for being a totally on-rails shooter. Obviously Bioshock and the System Shocks games did this, and so does HL2 to some extent with the G-Man, but MW2 does it so brutally and in a totally matter of fact manner.

cameltoe

theignoramus said:
It's nothing like a Valve game.
It's just that the game's story hammers the indestructible, all powerful super soldier cliche on the nose, then beats the shit out of itself for being a totally on-rails shooter. Obviously Bioshock and the System Shocks games did this, and so does HL2 to some extent with the G-Man, but MW2 does it so brutally and in a totally matter of fact manner.

you serious?

ZeroRay

Impressions after beating the campaign and also playing some spec ops and mp at a friends house:

Story: Not as amazing as theignoramus is saying but still good. The story is presented the same way as COD4 with some
pretty awesome/ridiculous twists.
I enjoyed it.

Gameplay: Same old COD formula. Not a fan of replaying games like this where the possibility of using a multitude of options during battle is discouraged. The enemy AI feels the same although there are a few minor changes like enemies being more aggressive at times instead of just staying locked in one place, although it's still an interactive shooting gallery most of the time. Like COD4, I really didn't enjoy the first few missions except Cliffhanger but it got better the more you played. Some of the set pieces are amazing and we both said "HOLY SHIT" more than once.

Graphics: Obviously sacrifices to texture resolution, rendering resolution and character models have to be made for 60fps but IW's artists have worked overtime to make sure the game doesn't succumb to blandness. Granted, the game doesn't look good all the time but some of the areas look spectacular
such as Washington D.C. in ruins which blew my mind when I saw it, something I didn't expect.

Spec Ops is awesome and I had a blast playing this with my buddy. Many of the spec ops missions give you a more intense feeling than anything in the campaign I don't know if this is because of the co-op aspect but I enjoyed this mode a lot and it's definitely not tacked on.

Multiplayer: Didn't get to play this one much unfortunately but it was just as fun as COD4 for the 3 matches I played. You die a bit quicker but hey, you kill quicker too and I like that. The killstreak rewards don't feel unfair like I thought but then again, the best thing someone got in the matches I played was a predator missile but so far so awesome. :D

GDJustin

stuck my tongue deep inside Atlus' cookies
theignoramus said:

You've made enough posts like this that I'm calling your bluff and would like to hear your specifics.

I'm 2/3rds through the SP and haven't found the story to be anything above serviceable - nothing deeper than an excuse for the level set-pieces.

The plot certain does do a good job of building tension, and MW2 certainly does "big" better than most games, but ultimately I found the storyline to be unremarkable and several of the stages to feel very disconnected from one another, giving the narrative a disjointed "videogame-y" feel. I have a feeling my opinion will be the majority - not yours.

MW2 does MANY things extremely well. Intensity. The confusion of war. Tension. But storytelling is absolutely not one of them. To single out MW2 as an example of some of the BEST storytelling in games is a little baffling.

Dingobloo

Neo Member
GDJustin said:
several of the stages to feel very disconnected from one another, giving the narrative a disjointed "videogame-y" feel. I have a feeling my opinion will be the majority - not yours.

I was worried about that when I read the shopping list of locales in this one, I know it has an ice level but does it have a fire level? hellish platforming? We can only hope.

d0c_zaius

GDJustin said:
You've made enough posts like this that I'm calling your bluff and would like to hear your specifics.

I'm 2/3rds through the SP and haven't found the story to be anything above serviceable - nothing deeper than an excuse for the level set-pieces.

The plot certain does do a good job of building tension, and MW2 certainly does "big" better than most games, but ultimately I found the storyline to be unremarkable and several of the stages to feel very disconnected from one another, giving the narrative a disjointed "videogame-y" feel. I have a feeling my opinion will be the majority - not yours.

MW2 does MANY things extremely well. Intensity. The confusion of war. Tension. But storytelling is absolutely not one of them. To single out MW2 as an example of some of the BEST storytelling in games is a little baffling.

I just beat it, and I agree with this completely. I like my holy shit moments, but
in a game full of tons, only a couple really feel genuine.

The interactive movie sequence jab at MGS is interesting
considering the end sequence
. Parts of this game reminded me of old sequences in MGS games and Breakdown (an awkward but highly original approach to an FPS).

My quick review of SP:

The respawn issue that worried me wasnt a big deal. However I did repeatedly come across the issue of playing tactical and slow resulted in more deaths than me just running to the checkpoint markers to further along level progress. The enemy placement, accuracy, position awareness and self ease of death seem way more punishing than 4, which could be viewed as a good thing.

The levels are awesome (except one), even if they feel like excuses for sequences.
The snowmobile sequence is kinda lame with the lack of any real need to aim and shoot coupled with unlimited ammo, but the level design is perfect. Nothing beats dodging the trees with a ton of shit after you. The other rails level didnt quite give me the same satisfaction, especially considering it was close to the end.
The controversial level is stupid and pointless, and really shouldn't have never made it past a design meeting, but that is an entirely subjective issue for another topic.

The engine is still one of my favorites,but it doesn't look like that dramatic of a leap in terms of visual quality. The new uses of lighting and particle effects are amazing and everything looks so clean and refined. I had no serious frame rate issues (PS3 version).

Of the new touches,
dual wielding seems kinda worthless but I'm sure some will like it, the shield rocks
, the new weapons/gadgets are well thought out and very satisfying to use, and I really dislike all the visual clutter by the blood splatter health shit, but im sure others wont mind it as much.

As someone that still looks towards FPS games to have a strong SP campaign, I think it does the job nicely, especially with the connections to part 4. I think the game design is starting to come off as dated, so it would be nice to see them stretch their design muscles working on an original IP.

EDIT: I forgot to touch on, the AI can be really dodgy at times. Enemies are really evil with knowing your location always (yet sometimes temporarily forget), and friendlies can run in front of you sniping or run past you not killing an enemy clearly visible. Enemies can function likewise at times.

theignoramus said:
Anyone that hated on the story before they played it will probably think again. It's quite self aware and well told. When the dust settles, this game will be looked at as a step forward for storytelling in video games, I think. While I can understand people taking issue with the controversial level, it really makes a whole hell of a lot sense in context of the story. It's not "emotioneering" or manipulative, it's done in a totally matter of fact manner.

theignoramus said:

Is this your first CoD game ever?

I can see first time player get overwhelmed by over the top scripting and absolutely zero AI.

Tzeentch

AnEternalEnigma said:
Anyone want to take bets on if FourZeroTwo will ever post here again?
-- I doubt he was originally posting here out of the goodness of his heart. It's a PR calculation. Does it really matter?

-- Looking forward to checking this story out, I think I've managed to avoid most of the major spoilers due to people being a hell of a lot more mature on this board then most. :D

hamchan

I have to say that the story is excellent the only problem is
it doesn't end! So much crap left unresolved and we have to wait two years for MW3 for a continuation.

Ive really been caught up in this games hype, it will be my first CoD game since 2 when the 360 launched. I need something to hold me over till Reach comes out, Halo 3 just aint cutting it anymore.

Sorry if this is been asked a million times but is there going to be anything equivalent to Zombie mode in CoD 5?

BakedPigeon said:
Sorry if this is been asked a million times but is there going to be anything equivalent to Zombie mode in CoD 5?

No. There's singleplayer, Spec Ops (by yourself or 2 player co-op), and multiplayer.

Ten-Song

BakedPigeon said:
Ive really been caught up in this games hype, it will be my first CoD game since 2 when the 360 launched. I need something to hold me over till Reach comes out, Halo 3 just aint cutting it anymore.

It has the two player spec ops mode, but nothing directly comparable to Nazi Zombies from World at War, no.

GDJustin said:

it leaves three of the four playable characters shot in the face, burnt alive or stabbed. Three out of the four characters that you play as are utter pawns that end up chucked aside, murdered or maimed after you do exactly what the game tells you to do. With the CIA agent, you watch a hundred civilians get murdered in cold blood and kill dozens of police because Shepherd was using you for his lie. As Roach Sanderson, you fight for Shepherd's lie, then end up shot and burnt alive. Then at the end, you have Shepherd all to yourself but Shepherd kicks the shit out of you and you survive with a knife you pull out of your stomach. Each character you play as is simply a tool doing what's asked of him because someone is ordering him to do it, which is precisely what video games ask you to do to advance the plot, except in this case, MW2 tells you what to do, then shoots you point blank in the face for doing precisely what it asked of you.
(like I said, Bioshock, the System Shock games and HL2 have already done this theme of control in different ways, but MW2 does it in a ruthless and matter of fact manner)
I also felt that the other theme of the story was the lie. Shepherd's lie and the agenda behind it works as a parallel to the Iraq war and the Bush administration's lies that lead up to it.

Is this your first CoD game ever?

I can see first time player get overwhelmed by over the top scripting and absolutely zero AI.
Which is obviously why I criticized the AI in an earlier post.

GillianSeed79 said:
Modded controller and A Vizio. Why am I not suprised. Why do people go to all the trouble. Is e-peen that important. smh.

Seriously, why the fuck would anyone want a modded controller? It only goes to show that they can't play legitimately otherwise they'd probably lose. Most of my friends have modded controllers and i beat all of them.

kuYuri

Strider2K99 said:
So, questions for people with the game about the party/lobby system.

1. Can you transfer party leadership to another person or is it still the whole deal of someone must back out and invite everyone else to be party leader like CoD4?

2. Can you back out of games as a party or is it still the whole party leader must back out first before everyone else backs out like CoD4?

3. I'm guessing this is a no, but is there a squad system like WaW, Bad Company, etc?

Anyone? :(

J-Rzez said:
Great. And I don't trust the amount of time it'll take for IW to do something about this.

With the amount of money this game is going to make, half of IW is probably in the Space Hotel right now....:lol

Strider2K99 said:

Also wondering this...

Edit: Also have an non-Americans tried matchmaking? I know it's not even close to being indicitative of how the game will be when everyone has it, but have you been able to get green games?

GDJustin

stuck my tongue deep inside Atlus' cookies
theignoramus said:
it leaves three of the four playable characters shot in the face, burnt alive or stabbed. Three out of the four characters that you play as are utter pawns that end up chucked aside, murdered or maimed after you do exactly what the game tells you to do. With the CIA agent, you watch a hundred civilians get murdered in cold blood and kill dozens of police because Shepherd was using you for his lie. As Roach Sanderson, you fight for Shepherd's lie, then end up shot and burnt alive. Then at the end, you have Shepherd all to yourself but Shepherd kicks the shit out of you and you survive with a knife you pull out of your stomach. Each character you play as is simply a tool doing what's asked of him because someone is ordering him to do it, which is precisely what video games ask you to do to advance the plot, except in this case, MW2 tells you what to do, then shoots you point blank in the face for doing precisely what it asked of you.
(like I said, Bioshock, the System Shock games and HL2 have already done this theme of control in different ways, but MW2 does it in a ruthless and matter of fact manner)
I also felt that the other theme of the story was the lie. Shepherd's lie and the agenda behind it works as a parallel to the Iraq war and the Bush administration's lies that lead up to it.

I don't see why any of this amounts to you describing MW2 as a new benchmark in videogame storytelling or whatever hyperbolic phrase you used. Yes,
the player is betrayed.
So what? Nothing about that is new or revolutionary. Quite the contrary - it's almost a little cliched. And so many characters
ending up dead, with the player in control of their final moments, is a page right out of COD4's playbook. And COD4's scene was more emotionally impacting IMO. Probably because nothing like that had been done before. In COD4 your only reaction could be "ooooooh shit" but now, my reaction was "this is like the COD4 nuke scene."

Look dude, I'm liking MW2 a lot. I was hating on it earlier in this topic, but the more I play, the more I like. It's one of the best games released this year. The game actually makes me feel FRANTIC. Something that nothing but the MW franchise does, for me. The gunplay is great. The set pieces are fantastic. The attention to detail is impressive.

But the storyline? It serves as an excuse to serve up said gameplay, and not much more. Things we don't get include but are not limited to:

- Character development of any kind.
- A CLEAR connection between some of the missions (someone earlier mentioned that it seemed a few missions had been cut, and I agree. Who was Raptor, in the surburban Burger Joint stage?
- Closure
- A clear connection with MW1. You get a brief and frankly vague and confusing voiceover in the beginning, and then it's off to the races.

MW2 has no characters. Even the villain is underdeveloped. How in the world can that make it an example of some of the best videogame storytelling ever? How can you care about
Shepherd's betrayal when all he had been up to that point was a voice telling you your mission objectives?

It's like calling Crash Bandicoot one of the GREATEST PLATFORMING EXPERIENCES EVER. It's like yeah... it's pretty good, but let's not go crazy.

Top Bottom