• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 |OT|

What's this I hear about the ps3 version dropping top 40fps at times, isn't one the main points of this game being that it is locked at 60fps?

I managed to recover my disc. Toothpaste, soft non-abrasive cloth, and nail polish remover. Yes, it worked. Buffed the scuff marks and a few scratches off of my copy. Aaaand I just completed my game install (Thanks for the suggestion, Recovery?).

...I'll probably purchase another new or used copy sometime down the line :/

Disclaimer: Do at your own risk! (I was desperate, I really don't want to throw down another $65 anytime soon..)

cameltoe said:
easy now....

360 does drop frames in SP.....havent played enough MP yet
Yup, if a game has framerate drops that simply means it cannot be GOTY or even one of the best games of the year.

I mean, come on people. Jeez framerate drops, that's just as bad as graphical collision detection issues!

kaskade

RoboPlato said:
So are you going to trade this one in before it's officially out too?
I think that would be pretty funny to go to a Gamestop or wherever and trade a game in before it's even out.

cameltoe

Foxtastical said:
Yup, if a game has framerate drops that simply means it cannot be GOTY or even one of the best games of the year.

I mean, come on people. Jeez framerate drops, that's just as bad as graphical collision detection issues!

"easy now" was for the GOTY comment.

Was just posting that the 360 drops frames as well. Should have quoted the other dude. Please forgive me.

Dilly

Banned
ACE 1991 said:
http://translate.google.nl/translate?prev=hp&hl=nl&js=y&u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.ps3-sense.nl%2F2009%2F11%2Freview-call-of-duty-modern-warfare-2%2F&sl=nl&tl=en&history_state0=&swap=1

Did anyone else read this review? Sorry if this has already been posted, but I found the part about the multiplayer portion interesting.... It's what I was afraid of for this game.

Yeah, basically he's saying that the kill streak bonusses are overdone, however most of the perks are better balanced than in the first one.

but as a total package, I feel MW2 fails to deliver. Most SP scenarios feel copied and pasted (would like to go into my detail as to all my thoughts so far on SP campaign but will wait) where MP is just the better half. Big improvements (though many will probably disagree) in this area (minus non dedicated servers issue for pc...)

just play it an enjoy it for now.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
ThePeacemaker02 said:
I think that would be pretty funny to go to a Gamestop or wherever and trade a game in before it's even out.
He did it before with Killzone 2 and that was a week before it came out.

ACE 1991

Dilly said:
Yeah, basically he's saying that the kill streak bonusses are overdone, however most of the perks are better balanced than in the first one.

Yup. It seems that the kill streaks are a little to rewarding...

Also, your avatar is amazing.

KAOS

Since when can a game not be GOTY because of frame drops? So far I haven't encountered any major frame drops on the 360 version and the SP has been really hectic with all the shit that's going on. As of right now this game is my GOTY.

Gravijah

KAOS said:
Since when can a game not be GOTY because of frame drops? So far I haven't encountered any major frame drops on the 360 version and the SP has been really hectic with all the shit that's going on. As of right now this game is my GOTY.

There's a reason SoTC didn't win any GOTY awards!

KAOS said:

Dude, there framerate drops in the near the start of the first mission, take off the goggles...and trust me, there is more to come.

Edit: Not saying this the reason it can't be considered a contender for GOTY.

F#A#Oo said:
Killzone? :lol :lol :lol

Guerilla has to first learn how to make a decent FPS. Graphics were good inKZ2. Gameplay rigid/stiff and slow. MP is broken and needed ALOT of work...

If Guerilla wasn't owned by Sony they would have been a defunct developer by now...
Some sections of MW2 made me really appreciate KZ2`s AI driven firefights.

Almak

Assembly Required said:
Dude, there framerate drops in the near the start of the first mission, take off the goggles...and trust me, there is more to come.

Edit: Not saying this the reason it can't be considered a contender for GOTY.
Can it just be all the god damned toothpaste on your disc? :p

KAOS

Well haven't encountered any major frame drops and I hope don't. But this game is hardly the slide show some of you are making it out to be. It's been Generation Kill on steroids!

cameltoe

KAOS said:

The story alone says its not GOTY....not even close my man. It has nothing to do with framerate..

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
RoboPlato said:
Most people are saying it's equal.

Hell no. MW2 has a much better campaign. The story takes way more chances, it doesn't seem to have infinite spawn points like CoD4, and while it's frustrating in places, it never exceeds the stupidity of One Shot One Kill.

cameltoe

nib95 said:
To those who have completed the game, which campaign was better, MW's or MW2's?

I prefered MW. I was on the edge of my seat for the whole ride. With MW2, it was over before I knew it.

thetrin said:
Hell no. MW2 has a much better campaign. The story takes way more chances, it doesn't seem to have infinite spawn points like CoD4, and while it's frustrating in places, it never exceeds the stupidity of One Shot One Kill.
I`m really anxious to read Edge and Eurogamer`s review of MW2. Those are the guys that look for and write extensively about the sort of things I was raving about earlier.

nib95

Banned
Well, in recent times I'd say the bar has been seriously raised. So it will be interesting to see how the reviews for MW2 fair. Only a few key moments in MW2 really shook me in terms of ingenious game design, those moments being the sniper and nuke level (and perhaps the bomber control). Other segments sort of went along their merry way but never completely engrossed or fully persuaded me in thinking I was playing something extraordinary. I'm curious to know how many of these benchmark setting segments the sequel will have.

Some first impressions
Played last night. My friend got it early. Only played Spec ops missions basically. He showed some Single player gameplay and it seems awesome. Not GOTY but damn good.
The graphics are good. Not breathtaking but considering 60fps, or atleast trying to have 60fps, its more than good enough.

Can't say much about the story or the online multiplayer yet though. The little I saw from multiplayer maps is that they seem to big for 9vs9 games. Of course I haven't seen all maps.

J-Rzez

MarkMclovin said:
There doesn't seem to be any recoil in the weapons, what so ever.

So is it like MW1 where the weapons would really bounce around giving you the "feeling" of recoil, yet it doesn't nearly effect shot accuracy as it should considering such?

nib95 said:
So basically, the game is as n00b friendly as ever. Copious amounts of auto aim as well I presume? FFS....bring on KZ3 already please.

I just hate that devs like to want to spoon feed us on games these days. I don't mind so much on certain things, but with fps, which have been around long enough for many gamers to have gotten to grips with the controls/mechanics, it's about time there was more reward in it for you know, the skilled gamers. Who are willing to invest the time and effort for more precise manual aiming, and not have the game hold their hand through it all.

You'll just have to wait until Jan for MAG.

Az

Finished the SP, got pretty much what I expected from COD. Nothing more I can say really. Good for a one time playthrough for me and that's it.

Since I got the game on Thursday and was off on Friday I got much time in the MP, really getting the hang of how I need to play to be good. But some players are just kicking ass damn.

Currently I see 34000 players on PS3 already and for some reason I am having trouble getting into a game now. Had no problems when there were less people online.

Edit: Ok now back to 14000 players, can't be right.

Mogg0

Banned
Aussie impressions of Spec-Ops =

Fucking awesome. I played with two mates via split-screen. The one standout mission so far (and I've only played about 20 percent of them)
is a snow level where you have to evade teams of dogs and guards and make it to a cabin.
It really encourages teamwork and timing precision and is just a hell of alot of fun. Can't wait to tackle the rest of the missions. Absolutely loving it.

Controversial section:
It's pretty gruesome initially and I think what makes it worse is the reaction and slow-motion realization by the civilians of what's about to happen. Very surprising and hard-hitting.

I'm a few missions into the single player campaign. So far so good, but its no more than Modern Warfare times 2. It's a undeniable evolution but isn't even close to being a revolution. The only feeling of 'freshness' is Spec-Ops and that can hardly be labelled unique.

Also, anyone claiming there is 'infinite respawning' is a fucking liar. THERE IS NO INFINITE RESPAWNING IN THE GAME. I promise.

neptunes

Anyone think this going to have the same media press HALO 2 had when it launched?

Like having your local news station on location at the launch at midnight?

Kibbles

I finally pulled myself away from the MP and did some Campaign. Hans Zimmer is a god.
Coming out of the bunker below the Washington Monument into the trenches, wow.

cresto

Thank god it is veteran's day on wednesday here in the states because that will let me own face for the whole 2 days. No school = heaven

Top Bottom