• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 |OT|

surferkid

Banned
neojubei said:
Anyone ordering with Amazon.com or had experience with their release date shipping?

I bought Uncharted 2 through them using this method...was very skeptical at first....but they delivered (quite literally, har har har).

I would def. go with this option > local retail stores especially if you have any prior amazon.com discount codes/coupons/rebates.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
AnEternalEnigma said:
Okay, okay, okay, what the fuck. I thought kills you get during your bonuses weren't supposed to go towards your overall streak?

Yeah, I really want to know what the hell is happening there. He got 7 kills, then the harrier got him to 11, then THAT got him to 19. He did an actual 13 kill streak and the other 12 came from the wonderful killstreaks to end the game.

Ramirez

The 3rd person stuff actually looks fun, glad they added it in, if for nothing more than a slight distraction every now and then.

I'm getting the feeling though that they have went overboard with the killstreak rewards, that guy spent more time calling in Predator missles than actually playing it seemed. :p

Guess we'll see! :)

Sallokin

via Robert Bowling on twitter

ANY store selling #MW2 early is in violation of street date. There are no "special permissions". That said, we won't punish players for it.

Jon93

Neo Member
Someones going to get fired over this.

I just spent the last 4 hours calling EVERY game store within 20 miles. I found one selling it called Microplay video game story in reading, PA.

Klyka said:
To anyone who also beat the campaign, I am unclear about two things:

1. Why did Price fire the Nuke? I at first thought Price actually went insane in the Gulag and was now hell bent on taking out Russia or something and then it turns out he made an EMP and Shepherd gets the blank check because of that. So was Price used or was it just coincidence?

2. I couldn't make out what was said in the West Wing. Why did they suddenly go from "Take over the west wing" to "OMG WE NEED TO GET TO THE ROOF THEY WILL BOMB US!"?

1.Price launches the nuke to take out communications. The Russians cant coordinate their invasion without it. The Americans would be effected by it too, but being on their own home turf, they wouldnt be crippled by the loss.
But Shepherd doesnt get a blank check `just`because of that, the primary reason he`s given unlimited funds is because the U.S. has its back to the wall:very little support from the international community (which assumes the Russians are justified in their invasion, due to the airport massacre) and an invading army that`s overwhelmed the lower east coast.

2. They needed to get to the rooftop because the Air Force, thinking the Russians had control of the White House, were going to flatten the city. So they had to get to the rooftop and communicate their position before the bombing started.

.nimrod said:
does that mean they won't reset the ranks/unlocks? :D

Resetting the ranks/unlocks is not an effect of "punishment". It's making sure the slate is clean and everything is even for the people who don't have a store around them breaking street date.

.nimrod said:
who the heck thought wasteland would be a good mp map? i wanna kick the person who is responsible for that in his ass >:|
god, i hate that map
Well, it's the remake of Brecourt... a popular COD1 map.

However, I agree - I don't like it either.

RedStep

After spending about 3 hours each in Campaign, Spec Ops, and Multi (got it from the eBay seller mentioned earlier in the thread):

Campaign is ace. Unfortunately I knew about certain events before playing, but other twists and turns are unexpected. It's standard CoD, but amped up. The spawning is MUCH improved, I don't know what the others are talking about. Sure, there's the same "move forward" philosophy, but if the "monster closet" design is still in place it is very well-hidden. Also, the "grenade rain" is gone. They still throw grenades, but they are fairly rare. So far, the days of seeing 4 indicators on screen at once are gone. This is all on Veteran, by the way.

Spec Ops is ace-er. We played through about 7 of the missions on Veteran. The variety of missions is really nice. Only problem is that Veteran gets hard QUICK. Already in the second stack of missions (out of five), we're running into brick walls. I didn't have too much trouble with MW1 or WaW on Veteran, so I know it's not solely my rusty skills to blame. Some of the 2-player-only missions are downright awesome (but again, so difficult).

Multi is great, but it has ups and downs. On the upside, the new maps/additions are great. There has to be close to 1000 unlockable items, from emblems to titles to attachments. On the downside, life is MUCH more fleeting than it was before. By the time you know you're being shot, you're pretty much dead. That's with the level-1 guns. I can't imagine how it works as you get further. It's still fun, but doesn't have the nice learning curve that MW1 had. Death Streaks help with this, but you kinda feel like Special Ed when you get them. I think that proper support will keep this one on the top of the XBL chart for a long time.

Wellington

BAAAALLLINNN'
TwIsTeD said:
I can confirm that most GameStops in the Northeast are selling early due to Mom & Pop Shops....the rest of the country is stuck till Monday at midnight
BS. There are hefty fines for breaking street date. Mom & Pop stores get away with it because they aren't scrutinized like the big chain stores (GS).

I am on the Exodus Mission in the campaign, still going at it in Veteran mode - goodness this is impossible. I haven't had too much trouble so far but in this one it feels like enemies come from every direction.

.nimrod

AnEternalEnigma said:
Resetting the ranks/unlocks is not an effect of "punishment". It's making sure the slate is clean and everything is even for the people who don't have a store around them breaking street date.

it might not be an effect of punishment, but it certainly is punishing to do 30 levels again...

X26

Banned
AnEternalEnigma said:
Okay, okay, okay, what the fuck. I thought kills you get during your bonuses weren't supposed to go towards your overall streak?

Yea that's what I thought to, but some of this footage seems to indicate otherwise. If so, god, the divide between good and bad players will be ridiculous.

In COD4, no matter how good you were the best bonus you could get was a chopper which could be countered easily enough and you rarely get all that many kills. Here, you do good you have access to a retarded number of rewards to get even more kills, stuff that an average player can never hope to get outside the rare match and it just compunds the situation so average players have a harder and harder time of playing against the more "devoted" players

I don't know which side I will fall into with MW2, but what I've seen sofar shows one thing clearly: MP is going to make a lot of people feel miserable with the constant, endless ass raping they'll receive

kuYuri

Raxus said:
BTW Campaign is unbelievably short. Playing on Vet, collecting all the intel and getting almost all the (non spec ops related) achievements/trophies took me less than 8 hours.

Does collecting intel unlock cheats like CoD4?

X26 said:
Yea that's what I thought to, but some of this footage seems to indicate otherwise. If so, god, the divide between good and bad players will be ridiculous.

In COD4, no matter how good you were the best bonus you could get was a chopper which could be countered easily enough and you rarely get all that many kills. Here, you do good you have access to a retarded number of rewards to get even more kills, stuff that an average player can never hope to get outside the rare match and it just compunds the situation so average players have a harder and harder time of playing against the more "devoted" players

I don't know which side I will fall into with MW2, but what I've seen sofar shows one thing clearly: MP is going to make a lot of people feel miserable with the constant, endless ass raping they'll receive

I'm personally worried by the fact that you can hace harrier, chopper, and bombing run etc. all happening at the same time. I liked how in MW1 it restricted to one chopper, one bombing run happening at a time. At this rate, tactical nukes will be a common occurrence.

DukeSucks

that nuke vid was great, the comments at the end were funny.

I want to be your friend so I can get destroyed in one of your vids :D

harrytang

Papercuts said:
Yeah, I really want to know what the hell is happening there. He got 7 kills, then the harrier got him to 11, then THAT got him to 19. He did an actual 13 kill streak and the other 12 came from the wonderful killstreaks to end the game.

kills from the three killstreaks you setup before the match can earn you additional killstreaks from the kills you get from using them.

care package killstreaks, which you will earn a lot of, will not go to your earning another killstreak.

if you die and use your killstreaks they do not help you get additional killstreaks.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
CrazedArabMan said:
Seriously!!!

That helicopter looks over powered, and I didn't think it counts toward your kill streak.

He was good with it, but damn. 16 kills off it was more than half of getting the nuke by itself. :lol

Ugh, I don't like how this is an objective gametype either, just seems to make that pointless since some people already play them like deathmatches.

harrytang said:
kills from the three killstreaks you setup before the match can earn you additional killstreaks from the kills you get from using them.

care package killstreaks, which you will earn a lot of, will not go to your earning another killstreak.

if you die and use your killstreaks they do not help you get additional killstreaks.

Oh, so they just did it to prevent the player dying then using killstreaks to get killstreaks again. I thought it was always just not counting it for more.

neojubei

Will drop pants for Sony.
surferkid said:
I bought Uncharted 2 through them using this method...was very skeptical at first....but they delivered (quite literally, har har har).

I would def. go with this option > local retail stores especially if you have any prior amazon.com discount codes/coupons/rebates.

Thanks the same day shipping option cost just about how much tax i will be paying if I bought the game at gamestop.

kuYuri

Choke on the Magic said:
Great thread OP. I have a request. Will you add the recommended system specs under the minimum required ones? Please and thankyou. :D

I would, but I haven't seen recommended specs yet, have you? Please let me know if you see the list.

Mutagenic said:
Well, that looked stupid. This game will be more frustrating than anything.
Yeah, I feel that all these killstreaks promote camping and hiding out much more than going out and doing what you're supposed to be doing (in that video's case - capturing HQ).

It's pretty annoying, actually... the amount of campers in MW2 so far.

Mikey Jr.

Honestly, I'm not falling into the launch day hype. Gonna wait like 1 or 2 weeks, see what the community thinks after their goggles have been lifted. Just concerned about killstreaks pretty much. Everything else looks good, but those killstreaks look like it could frustrate me.

In my opinion, COD4 striked a great balance and with MW2 adding a lot more stuff, not sure about that perfect balance.

LeMaximilian

Alligator F*ck House
Killstreaks that originate from Care Packages or a Multi Care Package do NOT contribute towards your next KS. As soon as I learned this, I stopped using Care Packages. Any other KS that you manually earn will go towards the next KS.

Kerm 1

Revolutionary said:
Yeah, I feel that all these killstreaks promote camping and hiding out much more than going out and doing what you're supposed to be doing (in that video's case - capturing HQ).

It's pretty annoying, actually... the amount of campers in MW2 so far.

You hit the nail squarely on the head. First impression during multiplayer is what a bunch of camping mother fuckers. Their pussydom beseeches them in obective game types.

harrytang

A couple of thoughts about this game:

First, know that i play hardcore team death match exclusively. Nothing else.

It took me roughly between five and six hours to even unlock hardcore. Annoying to me, but you can understand why when someone with a low rank joins through a party connection and goes 1-12. Those first six hours are required to learn the levels, which are much more complex than anything from the previous game.

Second, the care package pretty much changes this game. There is so much shit going on sometimes. Helis, uavs, missles. Its fun, and I always equip the care package to get me something more powerful than a sentry gun. I'm not to the point where i can get more than 4 kills in a row but with the care package i can really enjoy the deadlier rewards. The downside being I'll probably never select anything over a five killstreak as a part of my setup since the incentive is gone. With hardline im getting care packages every 3 kills and stacking killstreaks like crazy.

Regarding the helis and planes, they seem much more powerful. They stay around forever killing you over and over. The good news is these killstreak rewards can pretty much be taken out before they even get started if you equip yourself with a launcher. Stinger works best for me right now. Have a setup ready to go and you'll be fine. The team without a dedicated launcher setup will be punished.

-x.Red.x-

hey guys, question, what the hell is lightweight for? I'm was using since I got the game and then I tried stopping powe and moved the same!?
Don't tell me it's for sprinting speed... I got like 26 miles...

Ugh, these killstreaks look ridiculous. In the videos I've seen, it seems as though more kills come from killstreaks than from the regular gunplay. Not to mention there's always seems to be a predator missile, care package, helicopter, UAV, or airstrike happening at any one time.

I mean, really, are three different kinds of airstrikes really necessary? There's the normal airstrike, precision airstrike, and the stealth bomber. Just trim that shit down.

Sushen

harrytang said:

I'm telling you that taking down enemies who's building up killstreaks will be one of the key strategies to win the match.

BTW one of the youtube video showed the same problem with match making. The dude ranked up 30 kills with 1 death...against bunch of guys in level 1 and 2, while he was level 48 and others in his team in the 20s. I don't know if they actually balance the team or just random.

Jack Scofield said:
Ugh, these killstreaks look ridiculous. In the videos I've seen, it seems as though more kills come from killstreaks than from the regular gunplay. Not to mention there's always seems to be a predator missile, care package, helicopter, UAV, or airstrike happening at any one time.

I mean, really, are three different kinds of airstrikes really necessary? There's the normal airstrike, precision airstrike, and the stealth bomber. Just trim that shit down.
When the oppositing team is dominating, nobody will get out of the building. I won't.

joezombie

Sushen said:
I'm telling you that taking down enemies who's building up killstreaks will be one of the key strategies to win the match.

BTW one of the youtube video showed the same problem with match making. The dude ranked up 30 kills with 1 death...against bunch of guys in level 1 and 2, while he was level 48 and others in his team in the 20s. I don't know if they actually balance the team or just random.

It's likely that there's probably only 50k people with the game right now instead of the 10 million+ that there will be eventually, so there aren't enough players to matchmake well

Accident

Looks like they won't be resetting the leaderboards:

fourzerotwo: @WePlayCoD @madmarzo Any players who purchased a legit retail copy will not be reset or banned. Only modded / pirate versions will be

Top Bottom