• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3 |OT| Got 99 Problems, But Sales Ain't One.

hamchan said:
I thought the story in Black Ops was pretty good too. The story in MW2 was stupid but it did set up this game which has a much better campaign.
MW2 was exactly what I would have wanted. An amazingly over the top story that leads to massive global warfare. It was exciting and ridiculous, but that's what I want! MW3 is just as awesome.

no angel

Angry Fork said:
I haven't had any lag yet. The instant kills are because of the weapon damage/low health for sure.

Agree that the maps are weak though. It really sucks because this makes me want to get Elite in hopes of better maps in the future, but I don't want to give them more money and then end up getting the same shit later on. You never know what you're gonna get so I don't know what to do and I'll feel like shit if I sell this game so soon after release.
I've had loads of lag, plus some pretty bad freezes and hard locks as well. I think I could really enjoy this but I feel like I'm struggling against the net code half the time, it seems far worse than blops ever was for me.

Derrick01

Banned
Anton Sugar said:
No Russian was hackneyed shock-value tripe.

Not to mention it made no sense story wise. You infiltrated the group, they gave you a machine gun and you're behind all of them....why are you gunning down civilians and not gunning him down?

cuevas said:
Cod4 was pretty great.

It was the last COD to have a plausible and enjoyable campaign, at least. It feels Tom Clancy to MW2/BLOPS/MW3's Michael Bay. It was well paced and competently designed without feeling the need to resort to gratuitously controversial set pieces or insipid plot twists.

The people who say that it has the best MP are crazy, though. I went back to it this weekend and the game is broken as hell, probably the second least balanced of the recent COD games with MW2 being the worst and BLOPS being decent. The jury's still out on MW2.

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.
Stayed up entirely too late last night beating the campaign. Took me about 8 hours, but that's because I got all of the intel and other achievements on one run-through (aside from the veteran ones — I'm not a masochist). I like to get all the SP stuff out of the way in one shot.

It was pretty good, but because these games' campaigns are so not memorable for me (aside from the suburbs and DC in MW2, which were pretty neat), I can't really compare it to the others overall. Black Ops was a bit more varied level- and setting-wise, I'll give it that, but I think this was better when it comes to gameplay. A little bit too much of the stealthy stuff that this game doesn't really have any business doing, but I guess it's a nice break from SHOOT EVERYTHING THAT MOVES. And the last level was fuckawesome.

Still haven't gotten to MP. Opinions here are obviously very conflicting, but I remain optimistic. The ACR felt pretty awesome to use in the campaign, so I'm looking forward to unlocking that and giving it a go at some point after not really liking it in MW2.

junkster said:
Maybe you made 2 similar classes and you're confusing them? I did that and had to rename them then I didn't have an issue. If that's not it, I'm clueless.

Oh... maybe your Assault loadout is using a few of the shared Killstreaks? Maybe you hit a bug, or I'm missing something but I'd doublecheck.

EDIT:

This topic is moving fast so I'm going to ask again:
I'll have to double check when I get home tonight, but so far in the few hours I've put in it seems all I've gotten is the UAV, turrett and advanced UAV kill streaks. I'll have to mess with it some more though.

Derrick01 said:
Not to mention it made no sense story wise. You infiltrated the group, they gave you a machine gun and you're behind all of them....why are you gunning down civilians and not gunning him down?

Weren't you supposed to be infiltrating their organization? You weren't an assassin... Been a while since I've played that campaign, though.

bubnbob

Banned
Derrick01 said:

... what? I hate to defend COD story but, he's undercover.

Deadbeat

Banned
Derrick01 said:
Because the CIA is just as incompetent in videogames as it is in real life?

Derrick01 said:

And of course the whole "plan" was stupid. Walking around with no masks and the whole set up was pointless since it would be easy to find out who the guy really was the whole time instead of it being some kind of trigger for BS.

It was trying way too hard to be shocking

Deadbeat said:
Because the CIA is just as incompetent in videogames as it is in real life?

CIA wrote the awful story?

Man I was so hyped for this game, but at the moment, I'm a little underwhelmed. I love, love, love Kill Confirmed. Awesome idea. Did I mention I love it? But other than that, waiting in lobbies for 10 minutes (I know it's launch, etc.), getting "not enough memory" errors on PS3, the low health/high weapon damage, ALL THE GREY EVERYWHERE and camo working so well that I can't see anyone for shit on most maps, the small cluttered maps, yada, yada, yada. Oh, and I though they were scaling back the verticality of the maps to help reduce camping. Wasn't there an interview saying they knew that it promoted camping in MW2 and that they learned their lesson? I always feel like I'm dying from window campers on every map. And going through choke points to flank them sometimes feels like walking into a meat grinder.

This might be the Call of Duty that breaks me of the habit. It's like it's ALMOST Call of Duty an it's ALMOST improved, but not quite right. Aiming and movement feels a little off. Not game breaking, but enough to where it feels a little weird to me. I'm trying so hard to love this game and I'm just not at the moment. Liking it, but I didn't wait in line at midnight to play an okay multiplayer game.

Angry Fork said:
I haven't had any lag yet. The instant kills are because of the weapon damage/low health for sure.

Agree that the maps are weak though. It really sucks because this makes me want to get Elite in hopes of better maps in the future, but I don't want to give them more money and then end up getting the same shit later on. You never know what you're gonna get so I don't know what to do and I'll feel like shit if I sell this game so soon after release.
Takes 3 bullets to kill people, same as before, it's just that the lag is BLOPs level bad, so you drop before the first bullet even registers on your side. The game does a decent job at hiding the lag (except for where it counts) and the way that these maps work where it's all first to bead wins, the game has been dumbed down to "better connection wins" and that is exactly what detractors of the COD series have been saying for years. Again, it's like IW doubled down on everything the detractors complained about.

So the game is broken. I cannot matchmake games. It finds 50 games, none are suitable, and just scrolls through in a never ending cycle.

I can join games, but only through the 'Join session in progress' option on a friend's gamertag. Matchmaking is utterly borked for me.

My NAT setting now says strict on the multiplayer menu and I'm thinking that's where the problem is, but I find this hard to believe since I've never had any problems with COD4, WaW, MW2 or BO. What the fuck?

Also kill confirmed mode IS awesome. I know it blows any sense of "reality" in battle, but it feels like some crazy mix of pacman CE and CoD. I hate seeing like 3 dog tags just sitting out in the open and having to decide to make a run at them, or if an opposing player is setting you up. Adds a lot of good tension.

Kyoufu

Kermit The Dog said:
So the game is broken. I cannot matchmake games. It finds 50 games, none are suitable, and just scrolls through in a never ending cycle.

I can join games, but only through the 'Join session in progress' option on a friend's gamertag. Matchmaking is utterly borked for me.

My NAT setting now says strict on the multiplayer menu and I'm thinking that's where the problem is, but I find this hard to believe since I've never had any problems with COD4, WaW, MW2 or BO. What the fuck?

Fix your shit. Works fine for me with NAT open.

Kermit The Dog said:

lol

Genesis Knight said:
Weren't you supposed to be infiltrating their organization? You weren't an assassin... Been a while since I've played that campaign, though.

Undercover, but you go on a mission to commit mass murder in an airport with Nato weapons and speaking only englis, without reporting it to anyone ahead of time, and doing it also without even masks on as well?

Also the concept of it was so ridiculous. A US funded massacre of civilians in an international airport?

backflip10019 said:

KuGsj.gif
I deserved that. I should have added 'for me'.

Fixed it now, I had to simply test the Xbox Live connection in My Xbox settings, and it seems to have cleaned it out.

Xater

RedSwirl said:
People are saying this game has the best campaign since COD4. Really?

Oh, and again, how is Spec Ops Survival?

Nah, I think I actually liked the campaign of Black Ops more.

rezuth

no angel said:
I've had loads of lag, plus some pretty bad freezes and hard locks as well. I think I could really enjoy this but I feel like I'm struggling against the net code half the time, it seems far worse than blops ever was for me.
Dying xbox?Been great here.

bubnbob

Banned
When does the campaign become incredible? I just hit Africa and so far it's awfully calm and civil for a world bent on WW3, considering I just blew up Wall Street and launched missiles from a sub.

Black Ops is probably my fav campaign as well.

winnarps

betty swollocks said:
Going from battlefield to these guns with basically no recoil feels strange, really strange.

Completely agree, esp. if you use the Kick gun perk.

Like absolutely no recoil at all.

Which lends even more to the whole 'see first, win' feeling in this game. Also, the spawning system in TDM is atrocious. Grouped up with most of the team and all of a sudden opponents are spawning immediately behind/between the group.

RedSwirl

Brian Fellows said:
Pretty fun so far. Would be even more fun if the morons had made it 4 players.

How would it compare to Gears 3?

And who the hell likes the Black Ops campaign so much? I could not force myself to get through it a second time. It was okay the first time I went through it, but after that it just felt too boring and monotonous. In COD4 it always felt like there was something happening. In the Treyarch games I just feel like I'm shooting through corridor after corridor.

Angry Fork

Realistically how soon could we expect a possible patch to increase health or reduce gun damage? If enough people complained about it.

Kermit The Dog said:

I have been having the exact same issues and I know that mw3 is identifying my NAT wrong because my nat shows up as either moderate or open when playing any of the other cods or halo reach.

hamchan

bubnbob said:
When does the campaign become incredible? I just hit Africa and so far it's awfully calm and civil for a world bent on WW3, considering I just blew up Wall Street and launched missiles from a sub.

Black Ops is probably my fav campaign as well.
I would not describe any level in this campaign as calm and civil lol. If you think this campaign doesn't have enough action then I don't know what to say.

MattyH

no angel said:
Don't think so, it's a slim and it's fine with every other game. I've had two 360s die on me before so I know the signs.

ive been getting the little stutters etc too

Xater

RedSwirl said:
How would it compare to Gears 3?

And who the hell likes the Black Ops campaign so much? I could not force myself to get through it a second time. It was okay the first time I went through it, but after that it just felt too boring and monotonous. In COD4 it always felt like there was something happening. In the Treyarch games I just feel like I'm shooting through corridor after corridor.

If you thought BLOPS capaign was boring and monotonous wait for this one!

cameltoe

Love the mp! Well I should say S&D. All the other modes are kinda bad with thes maps. The maps work perfectly with search, its fucking great.

cameltoe said:
Love the mp! Well I should say S&D. All the other modes are kinda bad with thes maps. The maps work perfectly with search, its fucking great.
I agree. Only mode I play and thankfully works much better than MW2 did with the mode. Maybe that's why I have different impressions compared to people who mostly play other modes.

Derrick01

Banned
bubnbob said:
... what? I hate to defend COD story but, he's undercover.

Not a good excuse to me. They knew he was the head bad guy they could have ended it right there in the elevator before a massacre began.

If anything it came off as a really shitty and lame way to start WW3. But this isn't the place to debate such things and I regret bringing it up.

MRORANGE

MW3 PC review

So yeah it's that time of year again, once again I have bought into the COD franchise, so anyway here's a breakdown on how I found the
SP & MP.

Singleplayer

pretty much your 5 hour COD campaign, there is nothing new, just your standard jump off this skyscraper , survive crashing helicopters,
multiple car chases and of course shooting, which is great since I expect nothing more from the franchise. If you like the previous MW
campaigns you will feel right at home. I actually do have to applaud infintiy ward of wrapping up MW3 quite nicely considering the
clustterfuck of a story line that was MW2. Set pieces were great and really did show that your were part of a mass global war,
graphics looked great and was really optimized for various degree's of hardware.

HT7jT.jpg
ZcdUV.jpg

Multilplayer

Out of all the promises IW made, this makes me annoyed, as you know MW3 does have dedicated servers, but for some bizarre reason
it's unranked, this means you can only use the default kit given in the game in terms of perks and weapon choices, which is just plain
stupid. There are other nit's and grits such as weird/large iron sightings & juggernauts in mp but most people will have there own toothpick
problems with the game. In terms of comparison to mw2 multiplayer it is more balanced, I didn't spend half the time dying from helicopters
but i did notice the new point streak system is easier to rack up points for objectives. MW3 has opted for more MW1 style maps than the
closed off indoor MW2 maps, it's great knowing that they are almost no camping spots considering each space has two or more exits.
Overall nothing much has changed from MW2 except objectives can now count towards points and kill streaks are more balanced if you
like MW2/BO then you will most likely this game.

D41dL.jpg
0K8LU.jpg

Conclusion

MW3 is a good game and a a good game in the series, but does it deserve the praise or be awarded the GOTY ? not really. After 4 years
the multplayer formula is still the same, just that everything has to be unlocked now, it's hard to see how they can further advance the
gameplay . The pc version had so much going for it from promises from IW that it would have all the features of BO but as it stands out
there is no leaning and no gamepad support as well as gimped dedicated servers, IW could still redeem themselves if they
patched up the game, but from previous experience this is the final product we are getting. overall it's a game you can sink many
ours into with he co-op and multiplayer, it's just sad it's not given the support that BO was given on PC.

7.5/10 (because GAF likes scores rather than text.)

Top Bottom