• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3 |OT| Got 99 Problems, But Sales Ain't One.

bubnbob

Banned
Derrick01 said:
Not a good excuse to me. They knew he was the head bad guy they could have ended it right there in the elevator before a massacre began.

Oh, a "what-if" scenario. Moving on...

Did you do this with other series like Star Wars? But, if only they... this wouldnt have to have happened!

Manus

Health seems to be exactly the same as in MW2, people are just used to Black Ops where you had more health than previous CoD games.

Sushen

njean777 said:
Weapons are all op as you die to quick, the maps suck, and the graphics are stale. The sp is alright and that about sums it up.
Sounds like you're struggling with the game :p
I like high damage where I always wonder when I play u3 or GOW3, gosh these rifles takes forever to drop one enemy; very unsatisfying. Quick kills and even when I die I come right back at action unlike BF3 which holds me on sideline and sends me miles away from action.
I'm liking the game a lot. I even did decent for the first mp game like 18-7 where I usually struggle when I'm below teen levels.

SquirrelNuckle said:
Health seems to be exactly the same as in MW2, people are just used to Black Ops where you had more health than previous CoD games.
That's not true. 3-4 bullets to kill in MW2, Blops and now MW3.

It's LAG people. They're seeing you a solid half second before you see them, they shoot half a second earlier than you think they do, they kill you half a second before you think they do, you die before the you think the first bullet makes contact. And in this game (and most combat in small maps), half a second is the entire length of the encounter.

Just because somebody put in your head that the lag is better than BLOPS doesn't mean it's true. Stop making stuff up to explain the obvious.

I don't know if I like MW3's MP. I played about an hour and notice all the maps feel cramped and confusing. Also, there is something in the air at all times. Whether its a strafe run or UAV. I will be playing more tonight and try to get a grasp on things.

Mr. B Natural said:
It's LAG people. They're seeing you a solid half second before you see them, they shoot half a second earlier than you think they do, they kill you half a second before you think they do, you die before the you think the first bullet makes contact. And in this game (and most combat in small maps), half a second is the entire length of the encounter.

This sounds about right. It's like my trigger doesn't work or something.

Hardcore modes are the only ones that I can play because I just get hammered otherwise (I still get pretty beat up in HC).

Angry Fork

Mr. B Natural said:

Just because somebody put in your head that the lag is better than BLOPS doesn't mean it's true. Stop making stuff up to explain the obvious.
Either people's health is lower or all of 10 million+ people are lagging.

Come on man, which is more likely? COD4 didn't have these problems. This game plays like hardcore right now on normal modes.

Idesofmarch

Neo Member
As someone who always played hardcore in the past, I think the damage is awesome. A great in between of past hardcore modes and the normal bullet sponge modes.

Maps are a little too small though.

I miss Overgrown

Fantasmo

Angry Fork said:

Come on man, which is more likely? COD4 didn't have these problems. This game plays like hardcore right now on normal modes.
Try turning off Theatre in the options and see if that helps. I wouldn't be surprised if that introduces lag however small it may be.

Also, most weapons hurt as if they had SP so factor that in. Blops was more like MW2 without SP.

I played for 4 hours last night and the health felt normal for a COD game to me. Not sure what all the complaining is about.

I think most of the map complaints stem from not knowing them. I felt MW2 had a lot of shitty maps the first week I played that game. Then I learned them, and then I liked them.

Same shit will happen with this game. For most people a "good map" usually boils down to how well they do on it.

So far I'm loving this game. The guns have a meaty sound to them, and they just feel powerful. I never fell in love with a single gun in BLOPS, but just as it was with MW2, I feel like every gun in MW3 is useful. They look good, they sound good, and they're useful in different ways.

Quite honestly, I couldn't be happier with the game so far.

Also, bravo to the people who made sure this game ran great the night of it's release. For some reason that is a big challenge for other certain games, but no this one. The 360 version ran wonderfully for almost every minute of my time online last night.

RedSwirl

StevieP said:
Is it possible for them to patch dedicated servers for ranked matches on PC? :( :(

That's what I wanna know. Would it be technically possible for them to add official ranked servers later on like Battlefield?

Jumped in a few matches last night on my son's copy, died like 78 times in 5 minutes and was left with a 'wtf just happened?!?' impression. Well, happily going back to the other game that shall not be mentioned in this thread.

Angry Fork said:

All I know is that I'm dead before the trigger registers my movement. Usually before the opponent starts firing back, too.

Goes something like this:
1. Unload a half a mag into somebody, get hit once and die.
2. See someone first. Fire. Game doesn't register my fire. Get shot and die.
3. Run around a corner. Die when I'm out of view.

1v1 has never ever been a problem for me in this series. Hell, I'm usually pretty decent in 2-3v1s in some cases. I'm more scared of 1v1s than I ever have been in MW3. This is the first game where I don't feel confident that shooting quickly and accurately will score me the kill.

The screen is giving the information I need, I'm interpreting this as quick as possible and it's still not quick enough. Something else is at work here.

Keepthechange

Neo Member
Mr. B Natural said:

MW2 had stopping power, which everyone used. Blops got rid of it.

Fantasmo

divisionbyzorro said:
Wasn't the running theory that Black Ops had bad lag/hit detection because of the Theater overhead? That's still present here...
How many times do I have to say it before people pay attention? You can turn off Theatre. I can't confirm it works but personally I'm not feeling any undeserved deaths unlike BlOps. Again, I don't know if it makes a difference but it's an option now, test it yourselves!

Brian Fellows

Pete Carroll Owns Me
Anyone else getting a shit ton of server connection errors or host migration errors pre-game? (PS3)

Not pre-game but we had more than a few server connection errors last night. Usually about 2 minutes into the match. And ALWAYS WHEN I WAS DOING WELL!

Enosh

but for some bizarre reason
it's unranked, this means you can only use the default kit given in the game in terms of perks and weapon choices
didn't they say that server owner can choose what is unlocked and what isn't? So you can have a server with no nades, or perks, or just one perk, or unlocks everything etc etc

junkster said:
How many times do I have to say it before people pay attention? You can turn off Theatre. I can't confirm it works but personally I'm not feeling any undeserved deaths unlike BlOps. Again, I don't know if it makes a difference but it's an option now, test it yourselves!

Good to know.

I've played 3-4 hours of Domination and haven't had one "surprise" death yet. Other people have been faster on the draw than me, but it's nothing like it was in BLOPS.

Trexid

Neo Member
junkster said:

Nice! Turning this off tonight. Thanks

Brian Fellows

Pete Carroll Owns Me
junkster said:

I did that very early on. Didn''t help.

Meier

I really miss the FAMAS. :( Not the same without it.. I did get up to level 20ish or so last night using the M4A1 primarily though (think gun level is around 13).

rocksteady1983 said:
Well last night was pretty frustrating mainly cause I suck. The maps were a mixed bag, not many maps for snipers it seems. I'd say 75% of the time I died while getting shot from behind me. That was probably the most frustrating part. I guess that also is partly me not knowing the maps (and that I suck). Half the time I don't even know what I unlocked, it just says new on create a class and then I have to go through and try and find what exactly I unlocked. I liked it more in MW2 when it briefly popped up at the end and said (you unlocked silencer) for example.

Doesn't the screen popup with what you unlocked after a match? Or am I imagining things?

MarshMellow96 said:
All I know is that I'm dead before the trigger registers my movement. Usually before the opponent starts firing back, too.

Goes something like this:
1. Unload a half a mag into somebody, get hit once and die.
2. See someone first. Fire. Game doesn't register my fire. Get shot and die.
3. Run around a corner. Die when I'm out of view.

1v1 has never ever been a problem for me in this series. Hell, I'm usually pretty decent in 2-3v1s in some cases. I'm more scared of 1v1s than I ever have been in MW3. This is the first game where I don't feel confident that shooting quickly and accurately will score me the kill.

The screen is giving the information I need, I'm interpreting this as quick as possible and it's still not quick enough. Something else is at work here.

This is how I felt last night when playing. If you stop and take a look at the kill cams, What the game thinks is happening and what your screen says is happening are two different things.

I'm gonna turn off theater tonight and see if it helps.

Haven't touched single player.

I dove right into multiplayer.

Initial impressions: Visuals are decent. Nothing to write home about on the PC. It's pretty obvious this was designed for consoles specifically since I'm not seeing any effects that really blow my mind. The upside is that I get constant 60fps without fail even in the middle of a huge firefight. I ran into a connection issue once where the game had to select a new host. It's such a shame they can't be bothered to fund some dedicated's for the PC rank matches. Being dependent on someone's shitty cable line isn't my idea of fun.

Played a couple of hours of MP. The game seems good, and maybe this is a reflection on myself but I think I'm just burnt out on this series. Also the 'UAV IS ONLINE' every 20 sEconds drove me insane and none of the maps really stood out to me. I'll keep playing for sure but yeah.

Meier

Btw, what is the Nuke Town/Rust equivalent map this go round? I didn't encounter one last night.. which is a shame because they're a blast (pun intended).

Nelo Ice

Banned
Meier said:
Btw, what is the Nuke Town/Rust equivalent map this go round? I didn't encounter one last night.. which is a shame because they're a blast (pun intended).

Pretty sure Dome is the new nuke tow/rust.

Keepthechange said:
MW2 had stopping power, which everyone used. Blops got rid of it.
Repeat after me - it takes 3 bullets on average to kill someone in MW2 and MW3 and COD4 and BLOPS and WaW. They never changed the formula. Stopping power removed 1 bullet from that formula and yet it was still 3 bullets in most cases.

When you die and on your screen, you only got shot once, it's lag (or a sniper). You should feel a thud-thud and then die. At least one thud even at close range. The only exception is possibly a burst weapon at one-burst kill range, which from what I have gathered playing yesterday is pretty close and pretty unreliable. Though that was the M-16 and not the Type 95, though most people aren't using that weapon and most people haven't even unlocked it yet.

The issue here is lag, it's as clear as day. Already watched enough kill cams to go from "I shot that guy and nothing happened" to "Oh, I guess he was 10 feet over there and already killed me before I saw him." Must have ran into host.

Brian Fellows

Pete Carroll Owns Me
Genesis Knight said:
But the Type-95 can't be beat. You know it's a winner when a 3-round burst gun only needs 2 bullets to kill!

It is a beast gun. I just don't like burst fire guns.

I prefer the G36c.

Fantasmo

Brian Fellows said:
I did that very early on. Didn''t help.
Other possibilities:

There are Kick, Damage and Range perks for the shotguns. There are Kick, Range and Focus attachments for Assault Rifles. What do you use? The M4A1 is weak compared to the Scar for example.

Plus it's day 2. Meaning there's a glut of people in some places and the matchmaking is going to be borked like it was in BlOps. After a few weeks and a couple patches things smoothed out.

And of course, lag. With quick kills, lag disadvantage is a good reason to disconnect and find a new game.

Top Bottom