• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3 |OT| Got 99 Problems, But Sales Ain't One.

Lunchbox

Banned
this fucked up launch makes me appreciate what an amazing job epic did with Gears3's launch. even more surprising considering the fucked up nature of gears2's launch

that beta helped them immensely

cameltoe

I dont get whats fucked....I was able to connect without issue all night (360) I had issues saturday and sunday but I can't complain....

Maaseru

Banned
Is there xbox360 controller support for the PC version?

I can't get it to work, also the video options are kinda generic.

Mammoth Jones said:
COD has always been about who spots who first. That's what it came down to in MW, MW2, BLOPS.
Not always. When you had 2 long range weapons(not snipers) going at each other from across the map there was a dance to see who could best who. Sadly there will be hardly any of that with these horrible maps.

Lunchbox said:
this fucked up launch makes me appreciate what an amazing job epic did with Gears3's launch. even more surprising considering the fucked up nature of gears2's launch

that beta helped them immensely

Could you help me understand what has been fucked up about this launch, because in my 4 hours playing the game last night I never once thought something was "fucked up". (360)

TestOfTide said:
I have been having the exact same issues and I know that mw3 is identifying my NAT wrong because my nat shows up as either moderate or open when playing any of the other cods or halo reach.

Here's my highly technical method of fixing it. Worked for me!

1. Run an Xbox Live connection test. It should come up with a message saying something about the connection being restricted by the NAT.
2. Hit the router a few times. Turn it off. Turn it back on.
3. Run the Xbox Live connection test again.
4. Smile broadly and loudly compliment your own technical wizardry.

= Fixed! (Hopefully, for you.)

Fantasmo

cameltoe said:
I dont get whats fucked....I was able to connect without issue all night (360) I had issues saturday and sunday but I can't complain....
I remember for the entire first 2 days of Blops we couldn't, and I mean couldn't, use party mode at all. We'd always get kicked or no match would be found. It smoothed out early on, and then was patched eventually and at that point never failed again

Lunchbox

Banned
BruiserBear said:
Could you help me understand what has been fucked up about this launch, because in my 4 hours playing the game last night I never once thought something was "fucked up".
server disconnects, host migration errors, party disconnects, putting people in low ping servers because matchmaking cant figure out proximity

its the ps3 version, my 360 version is in the mail still, so dont know how it is over there. hopefully its a bit better considering how blackops was on ps3

Lunchbox said:
server disconnects, host migration errors, party disconnects, putting people in low ping servers because matchmaking cant figure out proximity

its the ps3 version, my 360 version is in the mail still, so dont know how it is over there. hopefully its a bit better considering how blackops was on ps3

Ah. PS3 version.

Well, that explains a lot. I had one host migration error, and that was it. Had a party of 6 of us all night and never got split up even once on the 360.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
jlevel13 said:
No incredibly tiny, clusterfuck maps this time around? I approve.

All the maps?

Seriously, the maps are a bit small for my liking. I feel we need some more open maps akin to overgrown.

Also as I said last night the damage needs toned down slightly. A friend said kill confirmed is better, so I'll try that tonight.

Kuno

So my friends and I played a little over 3 hours of MW3 multiplayer last night. After we were done, we just kind of sat there in a state of disbelief. Maybe we just need more time with the game, but right now, it seems like every one of the 16 maps is terrible. There was a ton of lag, but even when there's none, the maps play very differently than any other COD.

There's no place you can feel safe, nowhere to formulate a strategy in your head like "okay, they should be coming from that general direction, so I'll try to approach them from here and do this, etc etc. You could do that in Black Ops, you could even do that in MW2, but not here. In MW3, other players can come at you at any time from any side, above or below you.

The maps seem to be just a bunch of random junk thrown together, with buildings that have gaping holes in all sides and things like cars and boxes blocking almost all lines of sight. Not to mention most of the maps have models and textures taken right out of MW2.

The problem could be that the objective-based mode we like to play, Domination, doesn't work with these maps, which seem to have been made with the most popular game mode, Team Deathmatch, in mind.

We'll play more of it though. Maybe we can get used to it... but the first impression is a bad one. Maybe we can get used to some of the maps. But there's a difference between getting used to a map layout and the realization that a map is just flat out bad.

For a little background, my friends and I have played the hell out of all COD games, starting with COD3. We even enjoyed MW2 despite the b.s., but Black Ops is our favorite. I'm 9th prestige in BLOPS.

TL;DR: The maps suck.

The Type 95 Assault rifle seems to KILL in 2 hits... with a supressor attached!
Surely this must be a mistake. Please fix the health issue soon IW.
Its like IW is forcing everyone to play in Hardcore mode.
Alot more people seem to be using supressor/pussy-attachments for their guns than in MW2 as well :/

Enjoying the game. One thing I wish they would put back is the dive. I found that to be fun. Also, I hate how random climbing over things are. Seems like things you should be able to climb, you cannot.

harrytang

Deadly Cyclone said:
All the maps?

Seriously, the maps are a bit small for my liking. I feel we need some more open maps akin to overgrown.

Also as I said last night the damage needs toned down slightly. A friend said kill confirmed is better, so I'll try that tonight.

outpost, sea town and village seem large in total area. whats true about all of these maps are the amount of cover objects and corridors. always feel claustrophobic.

kill confirmed let me down quite a bit so far. i was expecting maybe a slower pace and engagement style back and forth over tags. instead its people playing tdm with tags in in the mix. some people ignore them completely and just go for kills. also, why are does the score board not list kills confirmed? if its only going to list kills then how they fuck do I know who's doing it right? it shows it in lobby leader board but not in game.

cameltoe

Kuno said:
So my friends and I played a little over 3 hours of MW3 multiplayer last night. After we were done, we just kind of sat there in a state of disbelief. Maybe we just need more time with the game, but right now, it seems like every one of the 16 maps is terrible. There was a ton of lag, but even when there's none, the maps play very differently than any other COD.

There's no place you can feel safe, nowhere to formulate a strategy in your head like "okay, they should be coming from that general direction, so I'll try to approach them from here and do this, etc etc. You could do that in Black Ops, you could even do that in MW2, but not here. In MW3, other players can come at you at any time from any side, above or below you.

The maps seem to be just a bunch of random junk thrown together, with buildings that have gaping holes in all sides and things like cars and boxes blocking almost all lines of sight. Not to mention most of the maps have models and textures taken right out of MW2.

The problem could be that the objective-based mode we like to play, Domination, doesn't work with these maps, which seem to have been made with the most popular game mode, Team Deathmatch, in mind.

We'll play more of it though. Maybe we can get used to it... but the first impression is a bad one. Maybe we can get used to some of the maps. But there's a difference between getting used to a map layout and the realization that a map is just flat out bad.

For a little background, my friends and I have played the hell out of all COD games, starting with COD3. We even enjoyed MW2 despite the b.s., but Black Ops is our favorite. I'm 9th prestige in BLOPS.

Which mode were you playing? I played some DOM and TDM and found the spawn system to be a mess....back to S&D I went.

Kuno said:

Well, I thought BLOPS was notably inferior to MW2, so maybe that explains my feeling that MW3 is great. I also don't play much beyond Team Deathmatch and Kill Confirmed, as I think it's easy for other modes to be broken or have flaws that can be exploited.

I agree that the maps feel very busy, but I also remember feeling that exact same feeling initially with MW2, and maps like Favela. Eventually I grew to love that map.

That feeling of "constant danger" is mostly a side effect of not knowing the maps. Even last night I remember playing a map for the third time and feeling a lot less "danger" than I did the first time I played it.

Don't know what you guys are whining about, TMP is 4 hit kill at close range, just like it was WITHOUT STOPPING POWER in MW2 (power was 30-20, 30x4=120=dead enemy at close range)
Seems like the guns at most behave like previous ones but with stopping power built in.
Have you guys gotten too used to BLOPS damage?

-TK-

Ok, I'm already selling this pile of shit. Campaign was very short and multiplayer mode is the biggest disappointment ever. Maps are so horrible and unbalanced that it isn't even funny to win anymore.

Kuno

cameltoe said:
Which mode were you playing? I played some DOM and TDM and found the spawn system to be a mess....back to S&D I went.

We love Domination, but now I'm thinking we might have to give up our favorite mode and try something else. Maybe S&D is the answer.

I'll bet Headquarters is a clusterfuck in this game...

Kyoufu

slopeslider said:
Don't know what you guys are whining about, TMP is 4 hit kill at close range, just like it was WITHOUT STOPPING POWER in MW2 (power was 30-20, 30x4=120=dead enemy at close range)
Seems like the guns at most behave like previous ones but with stopping power built in.
Have you guys gotten too used to BLOPS damage?

No. There is something wrong with the game.

Your screen: Enemy ejaculates, you die.

Kill cam: Enemy strokes a couple times before ejaculating.

Mr. B Natural said:
Repeat after me - it takes 3 bullets on average to kill someone in MW2 and MW3 and COD4 and BLOPS and WaW. They never changed the formula. Stopping power removed 1 bullet from that formula and yet it was still 3 bullets in most cases.

When you die and on your screen, you only got shot once, it's lag (or a sniper). You should feel a thud-thud and then die. At least one thud even at close range. The only exception is possibly a burst weapon at one-burst kill range, which from what I have gathered playing yesterday is pretty close and pretty unreliable. Though that was the M-16 and not the Type 95, though most people aren't using that weapon and most people haven't even unlocked it yet.

The issue here is lag, it's as clear as day. Already watched enough kill cams to go from "I shot that guy and nothing happened" to "Oh, I guess he was 10 feet over there and already killed me before I saw him." Must have ran into host.
It doesn't take 3 hits to kill in BLOPS, for AR's it was 3 minimum from close range (and only with the strong 40-30 guns like AK-47 and Galil) and 30-20 guns (Commando, AUG, etc) took 4 at close range and 5 at long (>30m)

Kuno said:

I agree completely. Also, 90% of the maps look the same. There was much more variety in Blops.

Nori Chan

I played 8 hour on launch day and it went flawlessly. Only 2 host migrations and there was only one game where it was just frustrating over host advantage.

360 too. I loved this game an could not put it down.

CitizenCope said:
Not always. When you had 2 long range weapons(not snipers) going at each other from across the map there was a dance to see who could best who. Sadly there will be hardly any of that with these horrible maps.

Not just that, it was also who saw who at what distance. Ideally, a close range encounter bwteen ar and smg should favor smgs while a long range encounter between snipers and smgs should favor smgs. And then there is also the factor of who is behind what cover, will one of them retreat so they cook a grenade before throwing it, is one of them crouched or prone, and how much can each player consistently hit the head for a damage bonus.

Takuan

PS3 owners: is there a 3rd party controller I can look into that doesn't have dead-zone issues and the like? I read about the PowerA controller some time ago and was put-off by said dead-zone issues, but I really don't like playing on the Sixaxis.

MercuryLS

Banned
Takuan said:
PS3 owners: is there a 3rd party controller I can look into that doesn't have dead-zone issues and the like? I read about the PowerA controller some time ago and was put-off by said dead-zone issues, but I really don't like playing on the Sixaxis.

The PowerA controller is horrible, please stay away if you want to use it for MP and worry about dead zones. The normal PS3 controller has like no dead zone, it's far more precise than the Xbox 360 controller. I can understand the issues with ergonomics, but the sticks are great IMO.

Brian Fellows

Pete Carroll Owns Me
junkster said:
Other possibilities:

There are Kick, Damage and Range perks for the shotguns. There are Kick, Range and Focus attachments for Assault Rifles. What do you use? The M4A1 is weak compared to the Scar for example.

Plus it's day 2. Meaning there's a glut of people in some places and the matchmaking is going to be borked like it was in BlOps. After a few weeks and a couple patches things smoothed out.

And of course, lag. With quick kills, lag disadvantage is a good reason to disconnect and find a new game.

I'm doing better I've got my ratio up to 1.55 from below 1 after the first day. I've got more toys to play with. Assassin is a life saver and Bouncing Betties help a bunch. As does Scavenger Pro. I was dying a ton just running around looking for guns to pick up.

Still that doesn't change the fact that deaths in this game are 100x more infuriating and kills just aren't as satisfying because I can tell many of them are BS too.

Angry Fork

Anyone who doesn't have Elite, are you considering getting it right now in hopes of better maps in the future?

I have to say I think I'd rather do that then swallow my pride and sell the game. I told myself a million times I shouldn't get it, I did get it and now the maps are really disappointing and the health/damage is awful. Really sucks because I wanted to like this badly and get back into COD.

Gonna play it regularly for another 2 weeks and see if I'll enjoy it some more. I only play S & D btw so this isn't TDM complaining. I actually had more fun in TDM than S&D at the moment.

I wish I could meet the people who designed these maps so I could ask them what in the world they were thinking and outline much better solutions to things. This shit feels like amateur modder hour. It's like almost all the maps they said let's make an even square box map then throw in a bunch of clusterfuck shit inbetween and hope for the best.

Hoya Destroyer said:
Is there any real difference between a Claymore and a Bouncing Betty?
They both do the same thing, right? Blow up when an enemy gets near.
Clay has the laser 90-130 degree trigger, bouncing betty is 360 degree I'm assuming.

harrytang

Brian Fellows said:
I'm doing better I've got my ratio up to 1.55 from below 1 after the first day. I've got more toys to play with. Assassin is a life saver and Bouncing Betties help a bunch. As does Scavenger Pro. I was dying a ton just running around looking for guns to pick up.

Still that doesn't change the fact that deaths in this game are 100x more infuriating and kills just aren't as satisfying because I can tell many of them are BS too.

i saw a killcam last night where the gun appeared to not even be aiming at the dude close up, but the hit markers were showing. not sure if this is host advantage or lag or something else.

also i spawned in the room that my killer shot me from. got a double kill and they never even saw me. felt bad. hope they take a look at shit like that.

Fantasmo

Brian Fellows said:

Does scavenger pro restock any lethals (nades claymores)? How about tacticals (concussion, flash)?

Takuan

MercuryLS said:
The PowerA controller is horrible, please stay away if you want to use it for MP and worry about dead zones. The normal PS3 controller has like no dead zone, it's far more precise than the Xbox 360 controller. I can understand the issues with ergonomics, but the sticks are great IMO.
Yeah, that's exactly what I read from the customer feedback on Amazon, so I didn't bother with it. Personally, I would much rather play a shooter on the 360 controller than PS3, but again, I'm using a Sixaxis, not a DS3. It's a little surprising that there aren't better concave stick options available. I couldn't care less about the trigger buttons, but I really dislike the convex thumbsticks.

def sim

What frantic, meat grinder multiplayer this is. Entertaining enough!

Anyway, I've been exclusively using the SPAS with grip. I have a feeling it'll be exactly like the MW2 SPAS once I unlock the damage perk. If that's the case, it's the only weapon I am ever using.

LifEndz

BadTaste105 said:
Can't find a match with decent ping atm (on PS3)

Same problem here. The lag is making the multiplayer unplayable atm. When you turn to the left and the screen hiccups for a second it's enough to get you killed. Really thinking about selling this and picking it up later when the online is playable.

Angry Fork said:
I wish I could meet the people who designed these maps so I could ask them what in the world they were thinking and outline much better solutions to things. This shit feels like amateur modder hour. It's like almost all the maps they said let's make an even square box map then throw in a bunch of clusterfuck shit inbetween and hope for the best.

Spot on.

harrytang

Hoya Destroyer said:

you can dodge a bouncing betty by going prone apparently. its damage is focused on the head region.

Angry Fork said:
Anyone who doesn't have Elite, are you considering getting it right now in hopes of better maps in the future?

I have to say I think I'd rather do that then swallow my pride and sell the game. I told myself a million times I shouldn't get it, I did get it and now the maps are really disappointing and the health/damage is awful. Really sucks because I wanted to like this badly and get back into COD.

Gonna play it regularly for another 2 weeks and see if I'll enjoy it some more. I only play S & D btw so this isn't TDM complaining. I actually had more fun in TDM than S&D at the moment.

So it's terrible, but you're going to play it regularly for another 2 weeks?

Got it.

Xamdou

Hoya Destroyer said:

The bouncing betty is better because it doesn't stick out like a sour thumb and it actually gives you kills.

Fantasmo

harrytang said:
i saw a killcam last night where the gun appeared to not even be aiming at the dude close up, but the hit markers were showing. not sure if this is host advantage or lag or something else.

also i spawned in the room that my killer shot me from. got a double kill and they never even saw me. felt bad. hope they take a look at shit like that.
I spawned into a rain of fire. Double death in 5 seconds. Spawning needs tweaking. Village map with greenery, don't know the name. It only happened once in 4 hours though.

I'm going to bitch about the maps as well. I really miss having some large open maps where you can snipe or just play with some strategy. Last night all the games I was in I had people quick scoping me or jumping at me with shotguns.

I do love the dummy exploding crate though. I got several multikills with at least 3 dead with that thing.

Lily

Elite is broken, matchmaking is broken, lots of freezing problems (ps3) and the matches I do get in are full of campers. Not great so far.

Top Bottom