• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3 |OT| Got 99 Problems, But Sales Ain't One.

Angry Fork

BruiserBear said:
So it's terrible, but you're going to play it regularly for another 2 weeks?

Got it.

Well I'm not going to let the 60$ go down the drain. I can't sell it to anyone for the full price the most I'll get is 40 something and I'd rather wait and see if some patches come first before doing a reactionary sell.

I think I'd feel better about the maps if people's health weren't so low (I don't buy the lag/netcode excuse, I feel either the health is lower or the damage on weapons is higher). Right now you get shot 1-2 times and you're dead without chance to escape. And the way the maps are designed they basically allow you to be seen from anywhere unless you hug the walls.

slopeslider said:
It doesn't take 3 hits to kill in BLOPS, for AR's it was 3 minimum from close range (and only with the strong 40-30 guns like AK-47 and Galil) and 30-20 guns (Commando, AUG, etc) took 4 at close range and 5 at long (>30m)
Yeah in BLOPs it was actually possible to get into a firefight with someone at the opposite end of an alley or hallway, ducking in and out of cover. That feels impossible in this game because you'd be dead immefiately. It feels like you don't have that sense of "oh shit I just got shot a couple times let me scramble and look for cover!" instead you are dead most of the time before you know it. Don't know it it's a design choice or lag, but as someone who was playing BlOPs as recently as this past Monday, it's definitely different.

Kuno said:
There's no place you can feel safe, nowhere to formulate a strategy in your head like "okay, they should be coming from that general direction, so I'll try to approach them from here and do this, etc etc. You could do that in Black Ops, you could even do that in MW2, but not here. In MW3, other players can come at you at any time from any side, above or below you.

Fucking this. There is no rhyme or reason to anything that happens in any of the maps. People spawn everywhere on the map at all times and are usually 5 seconds away from any point on the map. If you're trying to "flank" in this game you might as well dress in a chicken suit then decapitate yourself, because that's what you're going to look like. Much better to just post up in an area and wait for people to come down corridors. Lame.

Kyoufu

VelvetMouth said:
I'm going to bitch about the maps as well. I really miss having some large open maps where you can snipe or just play with some strategy. Last night all the games I was in I had people quick scoping me or jumping at me with shotguns.

I do love the dummy exploding crate though. I got several multikills with at least 3 dead with that thing.

Large open maps? You're in the wrong thread.

PalaceBrother said:
Go to xbox.com/live, log in and adjust your "Family settings". I have it set to "friends only" and it's great.

I'm on PS3.

Fantasmo

PalaceBrother said:
Go to xbox.com/live, log in and adjust your "Family settings". I have it set to "friends only" and it's great.
Kinda obvious but you have to be friends with everyone in your party or you won't hear them if they have that on.

No such option on PS3 afaik which is where I play now

Angry Fork

Kyoufu said:
People are confusing small with open sightlines imo. I've said small myself but I really mean there's just tons of shit in your way snipers can't get a couple shots off against other snipers in the beginning of rounds. Instead we have to run 50 ft to get to a spot just to be killed in 1 shot by any number of opponents that can see you at the same time.

And if you try to hide or duck behind the cover they throw in the map you can't do it in time because you literally die the moment you're seen. There's no way for you to lay down without dying. It's ridiculously annoying. It should take 4-5 shots to kill someone at mid/long range imo but right now bullets do the same damage no matter where you aim on the body or how far away you are.

I feel like making a video later tonight just to show what I'm talking about because people blaming this on lag really make me scratch my head.

tomi123

junkster said:
Kinda obvious but you have to be friends with everyone in your party or you won't hear them if they have that on.

No such option on PS3 afaik which is where I play now

I think you can turn down voice volume in the options menu on ps3.

Kyoufu

Most of these maps are terrible for team deathmatch. They're fine for Free For All but the spawns and map designs are awful for real TDM.

COD4 maps and the way spawns worked meant you could expect the enemy from the opposite side of your team when they spawn but in this game, everyone comes from every angle.

Meier

It's definitely a shame that sniping remains mostly unviable in MW3 as it was in Blops but I only ever did it on the side so I'm not that disappointed. It was just a fun way to play on occasion so it's a disappointment to not get to go that route again.

I didn't have a problem with the maps other than the fact that like someone mentioned, there are very, very few safe points now. Every room seems to have multiple entrances and exits so I imagine even when I do unlock claymores, I'll never feel safe standing still. It does remove camping to a certain extent though which I know is a benefit, but sometimes it's nice to just take a break from running around but that's essentially impossible now. I also felt like the African map with the waterfalls was far too large for a standard 12-person match.

No connection problems per se at all and played for a solid 4-5 hours last night. I'm sure my ratio and especially W/L is utter shit. Definitely had a number of times where my death shocked me and the killcam showed none of my shots going off but that's pretty much par for the course with an online game so no real surprise there.

Ninja Scooter said:
Yeah in BLOPs it was actually possible to get into a firefight with someone at the opposite end of an alley or hallway, ducking in and out of cover. That feels impossible in this game because you'd be dead immefiately. It feels like you don't have that sense of "oh shit I just got shot a couple times let me scramble and look for cover!" instead you are dead most of the time before you know it. Don't know it it's a design choice or lag, but as someone who was playing BlOPs as recently as this past Monday, it's definitely different.
That's because of the size of the maps, not the difference in damage. Bullet damage is simply not falling off because you're not that far away. The guns are still their typical 30-40 damage but they're not falling off to 20 unless you're using an SMG on one of the rare and less cluttered maps.

It feels like Nuketown to me, because that's what these maps pretty much boil down to when you account for the ridiculous amount of clutter and walls that prevent combat from expanding beyond that distance. Gunplay (I shot you, I know I did) and Lag (I wasn't given the chance to find cover) and all.

Kyoufu said:

I'm on PS3.

I'm not saying we need a bunch of Wasteland maps but there is so much shit around you it feels somewhat clausterphobic. And would one open map be that bad?

Angry Fork said:
Well I'm not going to let the 60$ go down the drain. I can't sell it to anyone for the full price the most I'll get is 40 something and I'd rather wait and see if some patches come first before doing a reactionary sell.

I think I'd feel better about the maps if people's health weren't so low (I don't buy the lag/netcode excuse, I feel either the health is lower or the damage on weapons is higher). Right now you get shot 1-2 times and you're dead without chance to escape. And the way the maps are designed they basically allow you to be seen from anywhere unless you hug the walls.

Dude, you can sell it on Ebay for $50+, maybe even more to people in smaller towns that don't have Gamestops...

Angry Fork said:
People are confusing small with open sightlines imo. I've said small myself but I really mean there's just tons of shit in your way snipers can't get a couple shots off against other snipers in the beginning of rounds. Instead we have to run 50 ft to get to a spot just to be killed in 1 shot by any number of opponents that can see you at the same time.

And if you try to hide or duck behind the cover they throw in the map you can't do it in time because you literally die the moment you're seen. There's no way for you to lay down without dying. It's ridiculously annoying. It should take 4-5 shots to kill someone at mid/long range imo but right now bullets do the same damage no matter where you aim on the body or how far away you are.

I feel like making a video later tonight just to show what I'm talking about because people blaming this on lag really make me scratch my head.

This man knows what he's talking about. I got caught up on so many things last night trying to dodge or duck it was stupid. Now I may just be a shitty player but I got frustrated with shotgun jumpers who were everywhere.

Prologue

junkster said:
I wonder if these map decisions were to keep framerate at 60. Looks higher detail than even MW2 but it's been awhile.

To me, it seems that mw2 mp looked better. Or maybe its just the color pallet used this time around.

Fantasmo

Brian Fellows said:
I have pro now. It just starts you with more ammo.

Thanks for the info. No Claymore/BB lockdowns and weak tubes means you have to camp as a team. Lonewolfing in one area probably isn't going to work well for long.

Madtown_

So, finally got the chance to play last night (PS3).

The game is leaps better than Black Ops, netcode seems to have taken a bit of a hit from MW2 but that's probably from theatre mode.

Fun, balanced (so-far), and Kill Confirmed is a fantastic mode (and this is coming from someone who hates TDM). Fast paced and a thrill all the time. I've already had a handful of 65-64 games.

I really like a few of the maps, dislike a few of the small ones (especially one in particular that has a high and low side, don't remember the name).

But overall, tons of fun! What's gaf's opinion of it been so far?

Mully

Prologue said:
To me, it seems that mw2 mp looked better. Or maybe its just the color pallet used this time around.

Yeah I have to agree, there is more detail, but everything seems flat.

I'm getting sick of Seatown. It's every other map I play.

Marco1

My hardened edition for 360 still didn't arrive today from amazon even though I paid for faster shipping.
Fucking Yodel, they were late with my iphone4 S last week too.

Kyoufu

Here is some cheese: Pick UAV and if you want Counter UAV as your support streaks. Don't pick a third streak.

Now enjoy permanent UAV/counter UAV provided you can get a good rate of kills.

Mully

Kyoufu said:
Here is some cheese: Pick UAV and if you want Advanced UAV as your support streaks. Don't pick a third streak.

Now enjoy permanent UAV/counter UAV provided you can get a good rate of kills.

You're a genius. Is it possible just pick one killstreak like UAV and then use it over and over again? Imagine, unlimited UAV's.

junkster said:
I wonder if these map decisions were to keep framerate at 60. Looks higher detail than even MW2 but it's been awhile.
You can spectate, no? Try spectating during a game and zooming out.

And adding clutter and shit everywhere is a double edged sword for cutting framerate because, well, that clutter has to be rendered now.

I think it's a good guess, but the reality from my point of view is that they thought a run n gun game was what COD was all about and made run n gun, where's waldo, I shoot first derpa derp maps. That and it's much easier to just throw walls and blockades in the way and call it a day than it is to make a map with balanced choke points and counter-anti-counter line of sight.

Why balance for snipers when you can just make them obsolete and throw them a bone with quick scoping and calling it a day.
Midrange combat is hard. Make everyone shoot each other from 10-20 feet away no matter where they are and call it a day.
Don't come up with a new idea or concern yourself with pesky verticality. Just run until you run into somebody and shoot.

Why balance this open space when you can just fill the space with walls so nothing really matters anymore. If there's only 1 way to flank then everything depends on the balance of that one flank. If there's 5, well then have fun. Not a single place on this map is important enough to warrant serious consideration. Everything intertwines with everything.

There is simply a lack of confidence/talent in these maps.

Xanadu

Banned
why do these games constantly get 9s, 9.5s and even 10s (WTF) as far as i can tell playing so far its pretty much identical to MW2 in every way

Fantasmo

Madtown_ said:
Yes this is possible.
Holy shit lmao

If anyone wants to play PS3 version tonight I'll be home from about 5pm EST and be able to play til about 11:00pm EST. I live in NJ so it would help if you live near or have a good connection. This thread moves fast so shoot me a PM with your PSN name and I'll add you when I get home. Headset players preferred please!

REV 09

finished the campaign, meh. this game is just too uninspired for me. The mp maps, the campaign, the copy & paste feeling of just about everything. Glad i didn't buy it.

Campster

Do you like my tight white sweater? STOP STARING
Xanadu said:
why do these games constantly get 9s, 9.5s and even 10s (WTF) as far as i can tell playing so far its pretty much identical to MW2 in every way

We have a journalistic standard (and, well, a community) that ciclejerks polish, fun, and technical achievement above artistic merit and pushing the medium forward. MW2 may be the videogame equivalent of Transformers - big, ugly, loud, more than a little offensive - but it's also hard to deny that there's a lot of polish and money behind the game. It also takes after Diablo/loot games in its use of constant positive reinforcement. You're constantly unlocking things just for interacting with the game - challenges, weapon accessories, paint jobs, abilities, experience... it's addictive because every second with the game is productive and pushing you along. As a result you have a game that might be superficially shallow and crassly commercial, but that's technically proficient and hard to put down especially while friends are playing. In this industry that's considered success.

Mr. B Natural said:
That's because of the size of the maps, not the difference in damage. Bullet damage is simply not falling off because you're not that far away. The guns are still their typical 30-40 damage but they're not falling off to 20 unless you're using an SMG on one of the rare and less cluttered maps.

It feels like Nuketown to me, because that's what these maps pretty much boil down to when you account for the ridiculous amount of clutter and walls that prevent combat from expanding beyond that distance. Gunplay (I shot you, I know I did) and Lag (I wasn't given the chance to find cover) and all.
Many AR's stop at 20 damage in COD games. 40-30 is reserved for the 3rnd burst guns, or the High recoil or slow firing guns. m4, F2000, Commando, AUG, COD4 G36c, BLOPS FAMAS, ACR, etc.
I don't have the game, so I cant speak on the map layouts and engagement distances/lag, but it sounds like that could be a big factor.

muu

I don't know where all the complaints are coming from since I've been having a blast. I may just not be running into all that many Type95s atm, other guns I feel there's plenty of time if you're mid-range to duck behind cover. The number of entry points makes it feel a little like a Mario Kart battle map, but it does have the side benefit of making assassin a much less worthwhile perk than it could be (since you lack the ADS speed of quickdraw and have so many outlets that you could be flanked from). Hell, that was probably a design decision right there so that the ghost perks are not as effective and prevalent as it had been in the past.

JB1981

Lunchbox said:
this fucked up launch makes me appreciate what an amazing job epic did with Gears3's launch. even more surprising considering the fucked up nature of gears2's launch

that beta helped them immensely

Epic killed it. Multiplayer of the year.

Xater

I begin to agree that the damage output on those guns is ridiculous. I wish back the days of COD4 damage without stopping power.

CozMick

Banned
Just reached level 28 on Underground Survival.

That shit is batshit insane, Attack choppers, Claymore experts, Suicide dogs, it was bloody mayhem :lol

Also, have Activision stated what happen's if Elite doesn't work after the 13th? does everyone lose there Founder's status as I've never been able to login to the actual app :\

rapid32.5

BadTaste105 said:
Can't find a match with decent ping atm (on PS3)
It's not gonna be possible till they patch their shit, lag will occur no matter who is the host. In hardcore matches at least it's somehow possible to kill, in regular it's hit or miss.

FStop7

Banned
Lily said:
Elite is broken, matchmaking is broken, lots of freezing problems (ps3) and the matches I do get in are full of campers. Not great so far.

I need to quit playing TDM. TDM is just going to be a camp fest, and that's how it is. Without objectives there's no reason to risk anything.

Matchmaking has been fine for me, at least. In fact one of the things that's stood out to me is how fast I'm able to find and join a match.

Elite being broken didn't surprise me given it was day one, but it is annoying.

Anerythristic said:
have the cramped small maps been annoying anyone?

YES! I hate it. I don't understand it. MW2 and BLOPS maps feel downright spacious compared to MW3.

KePoW

Banned
Campster said:
We have a journalistic standard (and, well, a community) that ciclejerks polish, fun, and technical achievement above artistic merit and pushing the medium forward.

Are you really implying that "polish" and "fun" are bad things in a videogame?

Give me that any day over a buggy-ass game that's trying to be 'innovative'... buggy games are the worst thing.

Top Bottom