• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3 |OT| Got 99 Problems, But Sales Ain't One.

I need some advice.

I've been playing multiplayer and loving it, but (I know, I'm the odd one out here) I like playing COD for the Campaign. I loved COD4 and Black Ops, but never got around to playing MW2. Should I really pick it up first and play through the story, or should I just read a synopsis and jump in to MW3?

Is MW2's campaign really worth it, or could I get just as much out of it by reading it in two minutes? Also, keep in mind that I don't have a ton of time to game right now and have a backlog of other things I want to play, so I'm only going back if it's really that good.

I had a problem last night, and I'm really hoping I can figure out what happened.

I started up the game and had 3 Prestige tokens waiting for me. I immediately redeemed one of them for 2 hours of double XP. I played for 2 hours and it worked fine, but then it ran out.

So I went back and bought another 2 hours with my second Prestige token. Only this time it didn't work. Nothing. Nada. It's like it took my token and didn't give me the candy bar.

Anyone know what is up with this? A known bug? (360 version)

dmg04

#DEADWRONG
Sub_Level said:
Stinger is so far up the level ladder I've had to resort to the Javelin and I have to say it's pretty good. Even with a moving attack helicopter I haven't had any trouble with it missing the target and coming back down.
The stinger is beautiful. Definitely using one of my token unlocks on that.

Angry Fork said:
Anyone who doesn't have Elite, are you considering getting it right now in hopes of better maps in the future?

No. I'm not paying 50 dollars a year on TOP of 60 dollars a year for each new COD game.

if it's 50 bucks a year and you get a free copy of the new hotness then fuck yea.

But if not, oh well. I'll join 85% of the MW3 playerbase and just not buy elite.

Mik2121

Man, gotta love Elite..

First it would take forever to load...

Then it started to show no data about both MW3 and Black Ops, saying I didn't play either game.

Now it asks me to create an account, lol! :p

It's going backwards, so I guess by tomorrow it will be asking us to please connect to the internet, or something.
Anyway, hopefully they can get the servers back up so we can see all the stats and stuff :)

Heysoos

Uhm. Okay. Quick thoughts so far, this game feels kind of off, can't quite put finger on it. Some people were saying this feels like CoD4, but honestly it doesn't feel like either MW1, or MW2 for that matter. Also.. boy the game is starting to look really dated to me. :s

JB1981

Did they narrow the FOV from previous games? It feels like the gun model takes up half the screen.

I never thought I would say this but Crysis 2 MP is more fun than this.

KaYotiX

Banned
Elite not being up is a joke, battlelog worked and works like a charm. You would think a service they bragged up so much would work especially since they had a beta for it.

knitoe

Xater said:
I love shooting shit down!
So, do I. It's almost like free kills. Before getting Assasin, had Hardline. Nothing better than destroying a UAV, get your UAV killstreak and reverse it.

Anerythristic said:
have the cramped small maps been annoying anyone?
Really my only complaint thus far. The maps don't have character or memorable points of interest. The last CoD game I played was MW2 an I miss unique maps like Quarry, Derail, and Terminal.
Here most maps feel like Favela, minus the verticality.

Mik2121 said:
Man, gotta love Elite..

Then it started to show no data about both MW3 and Black Ops, saying I didn't play either game.

It's going backwards, so I guess by tomorrow it will be asking us to please connect to the internet, or something.
Anyway, hopefully they can get the servers back up so we can see all the stats and stuff :)
Ha, same thing is happening for me. I thought I successfully linked my accounts yesterday, but it says I haven't played any matches for either game. I guess the server is overloaded or they're working out kinks or something.

kuYuri

I can't view the picture on my phone right now, are they talking about the one building from the campaign level Back on the Grid, with the building from MP map Pipeline? I noticed that right away, I loled.

Marco1

divisionbyzorro said:
OMG guys. I swear I've seen that cinder block model before in CoD4 and MW2!
They do it because of the ozone layer, recycling is everywhere man, EVERYWHERE!!!!
Think of the children and future generations and what we leave behind.

Guts Of Thor

Thorax of Odin
Got some time in with the multiplayer and while I've had a few bullshit deaths overall it feels more balanced to me.

Is there a GAF clan on the 360 I can join? I really want to play with some gaffers this time around.

Mik2121 said:
Man, gotta love Elite..

Ha.

I'm pretty certain they're just trying to eliminate all hits to the database while they tune things. I'm looking forward to seeing what it has to offer once it's up and running. I loved the stat tracking on the Bungie site.

So far MW3 makes me want to play more BLOPS instead. No doubt I'll stick with this though, as all my friends have it.

Sigh. Who knew that Treyarch would become a better dev than IW? Of course, half the IW team is with Respawn now.

MercuryLS

Banned
AngmarsKing701 said:
So far MW3 makes me want to play more BLOPS instead. No doubt I'll stick with this though, as all my friends have it.

Sigh. Who knew that Treyarch would become a better dev than IW? Of course, half the IW team is with Respawn now.

I don't know how anyone can like BLOPS, what a shitty shooter that was. Any of the IW COD's take a massive dump on anything Treyarch has ever made.

Palmer_v1

I can't figure out how to create a clan in this game. Is it tied into the shitty elite website or something? There doesn't seem to be a way to do it in game.

Nori Chan

I remember when I got like 5host migration disconnects in BlOps every day in the first couple weeks

I have yet to get one yet. I'm surprised it didn't crash all of live or any of the servers first day. Unfortunately can't say the same for elite lmao.

th3dude

Palmer_v1 said:
I can't figure out how to create a clan in this game. Is it tied into the shitty elite website or something? There doesn't seem to be a way to do it in game.

Hard to tell if a site is shitty if it's not up.

But yes, it's all tied to Elite, which has been down and remains down.

Card Boy

Banned
MercuryLS said:
I don't know how anyone can like BLOPS, what a shitty shooter that was. Any of the IW COD's take a massive dump on anything Treyarch has ever made.
Agreed, only thing i liked about BO was the SP. MP, Guns and map design was boring.

Qatar

One thing that bugs me a lot is the respawn, specially in Domination. a lot of times happens that I get respawned right in front of an enemy, and once this happened to me 4 times in row yielding to a death streak.

Other thing I find annoying is the predator missile, most maps are open wide and there isn't much places to hide, I know that there is "Blind" perk, but still it shouldn't be there.

MercuryLS said:
I keep seeing people say this and offer no explanation beyond 3arch are dumb.

knitoe

PalaceBrother said:
Yeah, I found out the hard way that Assassin Pro counters the heartbeat sensor.

Dammit.
Sometimes, I think it's bugged and heartbeat can still see you. Anyway, it's good they took it out of 3rd perk. Before, in MW2, people would camp with heartbeat / claymores and it was a pain to kill them. Now, they get owned with Assasin and Siterep / Stalker Pro.

AngmarsKing701 said:

I hear ya brother.

Tomat

Wanna hear a good joke? Waste your time helping me! LOL!
So what do you all think of the game in general?

Based on the passed few pages people don't sound too pleased.

Is the map design for MP really that bad?

Dax005

My mate just posted this on our local game forum, dunno if there has been any talk about this, but:
VMZ3Y.png

We are both from Croatia (Europe), not officialy supported with xbox live, but can buy xboxes..
I mean, come on! This just ain't right... Dunno what to say actually...
:(

Ostinatto

Dax005 said:
My mate just posted this on our local game forum, dunno if there has been any talk about this, but:
VMZ3Y.png

We are both from Croatia (Europe), not officialy supported with xbox live, but can buy xboxes..

you cant play any xbox games online , or just mw3?

Fantasmo

Dax005 said:
VMZ3Y.png

lol dobro vecer Dax, gdje u Hrvatsku?

JB1981

What really makes the game not look good is the lack of a more advanced lighting model. When you have games like Gears 3, Uncharted, Crysis pushing global illumination and HDR and what have you it makes COD look crazy dated.

Stantron

krameriffic said:
I keep seeing people say this and offer no explanation beyond 3arch are dumb.
There has always been a group of vocal Treyarch haters on GAF who can't give credit where credit is due. Their loss.

dustin

Neo Member
Is there anyway we could get a single player discussion thread going? I know I'm in the minority here but its an idea.

Just got the game from Gamefly (PS3), only played one or two matches so far, would have played more but I'm being hit with constant server timed out errors and terrible matchmaking that only puts 3 people in a match, finding matches is terrible right now.

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
Dax005 said:
VMZ3Y.png

that's why PS3 sells better in Europe

Tomat said:
Is the map design for MP really that bad?

CitizenCope said:

I disagree.

The main thing is that the map design is different than what we were used to with MW2 and BLOPS. You remember how all of the "roosts" had one or two entrances? Well now they have three or four.

For many people here, "bad maps" equates to "my mw2/blops skills aren't as applicable here as I had expected".

In short: This is day two folks. At least most of us can actually play the game on day two without constant host migrations and disconnects. Let's wait until the community has adjusted it's play style to normalize the maps before we pass judgement.

Fantasmo

Cool Dax! I'm from the US but visit there a lot. Fathers from Bjelovar. I vacation to Zagreb and off the coast of Zadar when I can.

ScrubJay

Black Ops had a lot of brown maps. This game has a lot of green-grey maps. I miss the vibrant colors of MW2. I do not miss much else, except for the SPAS.

Top Bottom