• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3 |OT| Got 99 Problems, But Sales Ain't One.

Axis

Procarbine said:
Porting mp_carentan from CoD1 with no additional debris/structures would make me so happy.

Screw the haters, having lots of fun with this one.

stop making me lose games

Jarmel

Banned
This game is an absolute fucking mess. The worst part is the horrible god awful map design. Some of the worst I've seen in any of the CODs.

Ryan_

For someone who has played days and days of Modern Warfare 1, played a bit of Modern Warfare 2 but thought it was kinda the same as MW1 and played Black Ops for maybe one hour before realising that it was the worst 60 dollars spent on a game ever, would MW3 be a good buy?

I'm a PC gamer btw.

soultron

Banned
Mik2121 said:
I just finished a match and it said the playlist has been updated, downloading now. Do you guys know what's the update about?
Don't know. All I know is that I can't find a game now. :c

FStop7

Banned
Spent 2 hours playing TDM and was about ready to throw my controller at the TV. Switched to Domination and suddenly all was well again. Fuck just running around and shooting away. Give me objectives or give me death.

hamchan

Ryan_ said:
For someone who has played days and days of Modern Warfare 1, played a bit of Modern Warfare 2 but thought it was kinda the same as MW1 and played Black Ops for maybe one hour before realising that it was the worst 60 dollars spent on a game ever, would MW3 be a good buy?

I'm a PC gamer btw.

No.

------------------------

Wow, I've also noticed a lack of grenade spam on Veteran. Another plus in my books.

Dreaver

hamchan said:
UMP is the worst SMG waaaaaah?
Yeah weird (if we can believe the chart). My favorite weapon together with Rapid Fire.

snack said:
Bleh, Metacritic is so full of stupid but obvious trolls.

Ryan_ said:

I'm a PC gamer btw.
CoD 4 was my favorite, I loved MW 2 as well. I thought Blops was decent but nowhere as fun as the Modern Warfare games.

Game is pretty solid though the maps are pretty bad designed.

I'd say it's worth it (for the X360 that is atleast).

Mechazawa

Kill Confirmed is FUCKING. GENIUUUUUUUUSSSSSSS.

It makes for ridiculous, messy firefights you'd otherwise never find in these games, but I'll be damned if it's not fun as hell. This is the type of stuff you do to curb camping.

Outside of pulling a MW2 PC and not showing players their K/D ratio on the leaderboards. Which more games need to do.

unomas

Banned
kayos90 said:
Thanks!

Blowtorch and Corkscrew. Period.

Yeah, those levels along with Heart of the Reich were just downright sadistic, I'd say WAW was the hardest COD game for me to beat on Vet. The grenade spam on some of those levels was unbelievable, there was times where I didn't think I would get through it, but after hours of torture I did. I don't miss the grenade spam in MW3, but this just feels dumbed down for Vet.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EdSQlrgMKnM

Maffis

omnomis said:
Good. That's just because the encounters are some of the best designed yet. Ample cover at different heights for popping out of crouch and prone to take shots, and a more realistic amount of accessible alleyways and routes to flank the enemy. It actually seems fair. Sledgehammer kicked ass considering it's their first attempt at a campaign... Treyarch fell on their face with CoD3.

Treyarch didn't even have half the development time for COD3, and probably not even half the budget.

LeMaximilian

Alligator F*ck House
Took some time, but the game finally began to click for me tonight.

Different kind of playstyle, different guns, etc. Seems to be working out rather well.

Axis

i'm really enjoying the p90 in mw3.

also had a problem arise yesterday morning. i leveled from 60-64 in a session and got disconnected from xbl...when i reconnected i was back to 60 and lost all the xp/challenges/unlocks i had received during that time. >:/

level 69 and counting...lets get to prestige!

Khal_B

Ryan_ said:

I'm a PC gamer btw.

If you thought MW2 was similar to MW1 then I don't recommend you getting this game since you'll experience the same thing going into MW3.

AEREC

Jarmel said:
This game is an absolute fucking mess. The worst part is the horrible god awful map design. Some of the worst I've seen in any of the CODs.

I agree about the map design part, its worse than BLOPs it's like all the maps are small maze like arena's...incredibly annoying.

Mik2121

DarkFlow83 said:
I wonder if people know there's another title other then "Joint Ops". What's with CoD and kids trying to be cool?
Fixed.

Also, finally got my K:D ratio to at least 2, argh. At first I didn't know the maps and I got my ass kicked so badly, but the last few matches have been fairly smooth. I play mostly TDM so K:D is kind of a sign of how good/bad I do, seeing how I can't find the SPM that Black Ops had...

These maps make me feel as if Infinity Ward must really disdain anyone who tries to actually slow their game down and play strategically.

I just question so many of these choices. Examples:

What's with the elevation usage, specifically in Hardhat? The hills, as used in this game, destroy sightlines and make the encounters completely perfunctory.

Speaking of Hardhat, it's also plagued with random and bizarre cover that also hurts Downturn. So much of the cover isn't even at chest or stomach level, so it's useless to actually peek out behind. It's there so players can keep running around nonstop without having to consider where they're going or worry about getting shot.

The house in Mission. Obviously it could've been used as a decent counter-sniping spot, but they completely removed the cover from the window area. Instead it's a useless spot. It's pure luck if you go up there and don't get shot. Just one example like this of several.

The blue curtains in Dome. Another example that is found in other maps, but here's one that is there solely to disrupt any sense of long range battle. If you're lucky enough to climb up to the grating on Dome, you're blessed with the worst sniping spot imaginable. You have pretty much one good sightline, and it's to an opening in SMG range.

I could go on. This is really the game for people who thought Black Ops had too much thinking and strategy involved.

And fuck the weapon leveling system, but that's a whole 'nother complaint.

Played a little bit more last night, and after Day 2 and just a brief time with the game (only level 19), Im very mixed.

Quick thoughts
- I understand the complaints about the size of the levels. When you think of the layouts of this game and MW1, they are similar. I think the issue with that is that unlike MW1, you have all these new killstreaks that just dont really work in levels this size. Calling in care packages is tough because the levels are so small and when you place down a SAM or Sentry, its only a matter of seconds before someone takes it down (and yes, Im not placing it in awful positions). Air killstreaks such as helicopters and AC-130's seem to be useless (not that Im earning them) due to the small levels that are filled to the brim with buildings.
- Kill Confirmed is probably my favorite thing to come from this CoD so far. Will probably take over Domination as my favorite game mode since the points for Domination are so bad. I will say one of the first things I would like added is Mercenary Kill Confirmed. Running into groups and clans over and over is already wearing thin.
- RIP MW2 SPAS. The SPAS is absolutely terrible in this.
- A lot of worrying about quickscoping seems to be for nothing 'so far'. Due to the level designs Im guessing, in the games Ive played, Ive yet to be killed by a quickscoper.
- I know this one reeks of scrub whining (which makes sense, I am one and my K/D is like .8 in this game so far), but as smooth as everything here plays, I cant get over the fact that everyone seems to be playing .5-1 second in the future. Everyone isnt that quick.

All in all, Im enjoying it although it probably doesn't sound like it. Kill Confirmed is a great addition, I like the level designs although I think they would work a LOT better in MW1, and I like the weapons. There is stuff that needs fixed and adjusted, but we're still in launch week.

TheApatheticOne said:
Played a little bit more last night, and after Day 2 and just a brief time with the game (only level 19), Im very mixed.

Quick thoughts
- I understand the complaints about the size of the levels. When you think of the layouts of this game and MW1, they are similar. I think the issue with that is that unlike MW1, you have all these new killstreaks that just dont really work in levels this size. Calling in care packages is tough because the levels are so small and when you place down a SAM or Sentry, its only a matter of seconds before someone takes it down (and yes, Im not placing it in awful positions). Air killstreaks such as helicopters and AC-130's seem to be useless (not that Im earning them) due to the small levels that are filled to the brim with buildings.
- Kill Confirmed is probably my favorite thing to come from this CoD so far. Will probably take over Domination as my favorite game mode since the points for Domination are so bad. I will say one of the first things I would like added is Mercenary Kill Confirmed. Running into groups and clans over and over is already wearing thin.
- A lot of worrying about quickscoping seems to be for nothing 'so far'. Due to the level designs Im guessing, in the games Ive played, Ive yet to be killed by a quickscoper.
- I know this one reeks of scrub whining (which makes sense, I am one and my K/D is like .8 in this game so far), but as smooth as everything here plays, I cant get over the fact that everyone seems to be playing .5-1 second in the future. Everyone isnt that quick.

All in all, Im enjoying it although it probably doesn't sound like it. Kill Confirmed is a great addition, I like the level designs although I think they would work a LOT better in MW1, and I like the weapons. There is stuff that needs fixed and adjusted, but we're still in launch week.
Yes, this is most certainly scrub whining. Did you ever think about the fact that the game can't be biased against you? You can't always be on the short end of the stick in regards to this delay you think you're experiencing.

DarkFlow

Banned
BruiserBear said:
Yes, this is most certainly scrub whining. Did you ever think about the fact that the game can't be biased against you? You can't always be on the short end of the stick in regards to this delay you think you're experiencing.
Yeah...No. There is a noticeable lag going on in the game, watch a killcam and you'll see the person firing a lot more then what really happened.

Lima

Fuck the MP.

Singleplayer and the spec ops stuff is just soo good. Game looks amazing too for such an old engine.

Really loving it so far. Veteran is way too easy though.

X-Frame

Is the only difference between the Assault Juggernaut KS and the Support one that one gets a Riot+Pistol and the other gets an LMG?

sweetfish

Gold Member
I'm in love with this game!

The Spec-Ops Survival mode is awesome, sad that it's only a 2 player mode. :( Maybe future 4 player survival maps as DLC?

Also, so good that they included Gun Game for private matches and that you can customize the weapon progression! Had a couple of really fun games yesterday where we had SMG->Riot Shield->SMG->Riot Shield->SMG->[...] etc, with some sniper as the last weapon.

Is some of GAF's Xbox players interested in some Gun Game's later tonight?

DarkFlow83 said:
Yeah...No. There is a noticeable lag going on in the game, watch a killcam and you'll see the person firing a lot more then what really happened.
Complaints that the killcam isn't entirely accurate have come around with each new version of the game.

Hixx

TheApatheticOne said:

Quick thoughts

The Merc playlist is Kill Confirmed and TDM. And people always choose Kill Confirmed.

DarkFlow83 said:
This. And usually you're shooting to the left or right of your opponent.

I was playing a private match with a few friends last night. Ran towards one with a spas, jumped and shot him. Straightforward, right? He shot me dead and said I didn't even notice him, let alone jump and shoot.

I'm on a decent connection with open NAT. Also wired and a manual IP for my 360. What more can I do? I don't have any problems with any other game - even ones in this series.

aku:jiki

BruiserBear said:
While that is obviously true, the game does have a huge lag problem. More people need to watch their killcams and realize that the opponents aren't as skilled as they come off in this game, nor are the weapons as powerful.

HixxSAFC said:
The Merc playlist is Kill Confirmed and TDM. And people always choose Kill Confirmed.

Sweet. Ill have to dig into that. Been such a busy week, havent had much time to play around with everything, just been diving in to get what action I can get. lol

Mik2121 said:
Fixed.

Also, finally got my K:D ratio to at least 2, argh. At first I didn't know the maps and I got my ass kicked so badly, but the last few matches have been fairly smooth. I play mostly TDM so K:D is kind of a sign of how good/bad I do, seeing how I can't find the SPM that Black Ops had...

That's what I'm finding. Tuesday night when I played everything was chaotic and I was getting massacred. Yesterday I was starting to recognize what spots are mostly safe to stick around in and where to expect people from coming from. My KDR is far away from 2 at the moment though.

Shearie

I absolutely love this game. Well...I can't really say much about the SP since I didn't play that much of it but both Spec Ops modes are wonderful and I love pretty much all the changes made to the MP. The maps all seem pretty good so far with a few that really stand out to me. I played Spec Ops and MP for many hours today and I never play games for that long anymore.

DarkFlow

Banned
Ugh, Elite is still fucked up. How the hell could they mess this up this badly? After all the pimping of this and clan stuff, to not have it working for 3 days is laughable. Also if you paid for it, somewhere in the TOS it says after 48 hours they owe you some money.

ughhhh... 30 minutes with the single player. most boring thing all year. so far worse than bf3 campaign.

black ops actually had some cool set pieces, and some good music and references. this was beyond lame.

nomis

Maffis said:
Treyarch didn't even have half the development time for COD3, and probably not even half the budget.

This is true, and they did much better with the time and budget for World at War. However, CoD3 wasn't a case of "good design doc, bad execution". Even on paper, it simply wasn't how a sequel to Call of Duty 2 should have ever been made. Poor engine, unexciting locations, bad "cinematic" cutscenes that weren't in CoD1 or CoD2. It was the equivalent of the direct-to-DVD sequel. Money and time would have made it more polished, but CoD3 was always going to be a turd. It wasn't just budget, Treyarch seriously stepped up to the plate for their next two games.

Vigilant Walrus said:
ughhhh... 30 minutes with the single player. most boring thing all year. so far worse than bf3 campaign.

black ops actually had some cool set pieces, and some good music and references. this was beyond lame.

What is this I don't even.

Baakara was one of the best designed FPS missions I've ever played, the remote controlled strafing runs were a nice touch, and the backdrop once you got to the
sandstorm
was pretty incredible.

EDIT: Nevermind, I thought he said "30 minutes left in the single player". Shouldn't have even dignified his "criticism" with a response.

def sim

Vigilant Walrus said:

30 minutes. Think about it buddy.

Brian Fellows

Pete Carroll Owns Me
BruiserBear said:
Complaints that the killcam isn't entirely accurate have come around with each new version of the game.

Which is BS.

Which scenario is more likely.

Some scrub with a .4 KDR and 8% accuracy running around a corner, locating me behind cover, firing once and killing me before I can even pull the trigger.

Or them being around the corner firing at me long before they ever appear on my screen.

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
I was really giving up on MW3's multiplayer, what with the quick deaths and boring level design, but then yesterday something clicked. I found myself recognizing spots on the map that were OK to hang out in for a while, using my support killstreaks properly, and unlocking some useful perks that fit my playstyle.

And then I played Demolition.

Oh. My. God.

I am never playing anything else ever again. Demolition is just so much damn fun. It's one of those gametypes where you don't care about your K/D ratio because you know rushing/defending a bomb site is going to be a clusterfuck anyway. When you win because you killed a guy a second before he defused your bomb, everything is well with the world. And when you lose because someone called in a stealth airstrike on you as YOU were defusing the bomb, you can't help but say, "Well played, sir."

Ah, I love it. I only wish K/D ratio didn't count for objective-based gametypes. If I keep playing Demolition I doubt I'll be able to pad my K/D ratio very much.

Anyway WHAT the hell is UP with Founder status? I don't have it yet? Am I even going to be able to get it before the 13th??

Just grabbed my copy just now, Havent played my xbox in 3 months thanks to it being locked in a container while I was between homes. Going to be so strange but as an added bonus apparently I booked Friday off age and ages ago thinking that was release day!

WrikaWrek

Banned
Finished the campaign. Ends on a high note.

Very very fun, I have to say this has some of the best scripting alongside Uncharted series.

Top Bottom