• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3 |OT| Got 99 Problems, But Sales Ain't One.

omnomis said:
I am DECIMATING with the CM901. I would take that graph with a grain of salt. It doesn't tell the whole story.
It tells the whole story of damage. The feel of a weapon, its effectiveness in a given situation against certain enemies and with a certain strategy, these are parts of the story that can never be articulated, and are thus transient and ephemeral.

excaliburps

Press - MP1st.com
Friends are teasing me to get the game so I can play MP with them. I'm going to be getting it after Arkham City and Uncharted 3. Those two are higher on the priority list to be honest.

I also have that other game for MP at the moment.

My big question is, how does the MP feel? I hated Black Ops but I liked MW2. Yeah, there was something in Blops that made me feel the gunplay, killstreaks, etc. was a poor man's version of MW2. Of course it doesn't help that one of my CoD friends who got the game yesterday complained that the game feels a bit too familiar. As in he thinks there are new maps and that's it. Basically, that's the major change.

In saying those, it made me wonder. Do CoD fans just want more of the same? If so, shouldn't the "blame" be put on them and not Acti and IW? I mean, if they want more of the same each year, why on earth would developers change it up and risk their cash-cow being shunned?

Makes me wonder if the franchise will eventually go the Guitar Hero route. There can only be so many times a game can be regurgitated before people get sick of it. For CoD, I'd say they have about 2-3 more years before people really start feeling that it's getting stale - that is if they don't add anything significant. Of course this timeframe can be exacerbated if Respawn's game turns out to be as innovative as CoD 4 was or if Battlefield, Halo or the other premier FPS' manages to finally "get it right."

Not bashing the game but pondering what the CoD franchise needs to do and when it will fizzle out. If you don't think it can fizzle out because it's too big, then I think you're too young to remember that videogames and its consumers are a fickle group and this has been happening for a long time.

Heck, Sony and Nintendo are prime examples of this. For games, Pro Evolution Soccer, NBA Live, etc. Everything has a saturation point.

Do you guys and CoD fans just want more of the same each year or should they change the game up a bit at some point in time? Reply away and keep the flaming to a minimum, please! :)

HoTHiTTeR

Whats up with this founders status shit? I thought if you signed up for Elite you get it, and it includes some camo and titles or whatever...My membership is just "Elite Premium"

Sub_Level said:
I think citing poor map design for this game has become a buzz phrase. I certainly didn't have a problem with any of them today. Big maps work fine with the gameplay, small maps do as well as long as you adjust your play style and loadout accordingly.

I guess another Derail, Wasteland, or giant WaW style map would be good for variety, but there's no more than maybe 3 maps I'd want out of the current rotation.
I don't even hate the maps but they are objectively badly designed. MW2 was definitely worse but for example, the most glaring mistake is the ideology that having 30 different paths is "deep" and "complex" which is what IW obviously thinks since they've done it 2 games in a row now. There factually should not be more routes than one person can strategically cover, because if there are more, it becomes dumb luck. Wrong place at the wrong time, turn a corner at the wrong time, etc...There shouldn't be more routes than you can cover.

That's just one example of map design that had little thought go into it. Treyarch maps don't suffer from that for the most part, yet the last two IW games do. Then there are issues with colors (in relation to characters), the mis-use of indoor/underground regions in maps, and so on.

Could be worse but IW is proving that they don't understand the basics of map design. Which is weird since they were better at it in COD4.

MercuryLS

Banned
The COD Elite App on PS3 is pretty fucking sweet, I gotta say. Activision obviously put a lot of effort into it. I'm actually tempted to go premium, has it been confirmed that all future map packs will be included with the subscription?

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
MustacheBandit_ said:
Are you new to Multiplayer FPS games? If a game has poor maps it isn't difficult to figure that out after playing a few rounds on them. this game has really bad maps, there is no debate about this.

I've played tons of Quake 3/Live and Counter-Strike.

As for FPS games in general, I've played too many to list, especially on PC.

I'm currently at level 40 or so in MW3. The maps are fine, and unless they're truly quirky or "out there", it's an arbitrary complaint anyway. It's like complaining that Makin was set at night; "hurr durr harder to see enemies". Well yeah, it's also harder for them to see you. Just deal with it, variety is the spice of life.

Nothing like joining a game 2 seconds before it ends.
Or just as the opposing team is using all their killstreaks.
FUUUUUU

But seriously though, I still love COD.
Getting tac knife took forever but I'm guessing it would've taken longer doing it the MW2 way. (75 kills)

krameriffic said:
It tells the whole story of damage. The feel of a weapon, its effectiveness in a given situation against certain enemies and with a certain strategy, these are parts of the story that can never be articulated, and are thus transient and ephemeral.
I don't think it does
This would be the first COD game to have such wonky, uneven damage numbers.
42-19?
33-17?
75-49?
As opposed to:
40-20
40-30
30-20
35-25
50-40
25-20

Love the game , Best COD since COD4, if it wasn't the overall(there are some good 1s in there) map design and the poor matchmaking and sometimes the spawns, it would be, IMO, the best MW game.

dmg04 said:
ACR sucks.

No it doesn't.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
-Pyromaniac- said:
I don't even hate the maps but they are objectively badly designed. MW2 was definitely worse but for example, the most glaring mistake is the ideology that having 30 different paths is "deep" and "complex" which is what IW obviously thinks since they've done it 2 games in a row now. There factually should not be more routes than one person can strategically cover, because if there are more, it becomes dumb luck. Wrong place at the wrong time, turn a corner at the wrong time, etc...There shouldn't be more routes than you can cover.

That's just one example of map design that had little thought go into it. Treyarch maps don't suffer from that for the most part, yet the last two IW games do. Then there are issues with colors (in relation to characters), the mis-use of indoor/underground regions in maps, and so on.

Could be worse but IW is proving that they don't understand the basics of map design. Which is weird since they were better at it in COD4.

I usually stick to the perimeter and when I venture to the middle I always keep an eye on my surroundings. There's a lot of ways to tell an enemy is nearby, from sound, to your radar, to a dead teamate's skull-and-bones symbol. I find it fun when things get hectic. You're facing one corridor but there's one to your right up high, and another two behind you. *shrugs*

BigNastyCurve said:
Major issues with MP. Map control of any kind is nearly impossible, so deaths feel random more than ever. It's often a matter of who turns the corner and sees the other guy first. My god the maps and spawns are completely shit.

The mp maps are god awful, it's like BLOPS. I'm enjoying SP way more but its almost over already.

Digital-Hero said:
The mp maps are god awful, it's like BLOPS. I'm enjoying SP way more but its almost over already.

I'd argue Blops had the better overall map design that is without factoring the DLC ones, Kowloon smh >_>.

slopeslider said:
I don't think it does
This would be the first COD game to have such wonky, uneven damage numbers.
42-19?
33-17?
75-49?
As opposed to:
40-20
40-30
30-20
35-25
50-40
25-20
Perhaps the figures are wrong, and it's not as extensive as the damage charts that show the exact ranges at which the falloff begins, recoil stats, and things of that nature, but the rates of fire and number of hits to kill are the story of how fast the weapons kill. The numbers are wonky, but they tried to build in SP which would give wonky damage numbers without overpowered the guns. It strikes me as odd, but the figures are consistent with my experience in the game so far.

Jeff-DSA

I still hate the maps, but the lag is making the game beyond frustrating.

Yeah, I definitely shot him first...but only on my side of things. There's so much of a sync difference that 3/4 of your deaths feel just plain stupid.

Ok, holy shit these Spec Ops missions on Veteran are EVIL.

Like, I can't even land on the fucking SUB before you take your one-shot-kill? Really?

Nabs said:
But blops had great maps.

Ok, I enjoyed MW2 maps over BLOPS but BLOPS even wipes the floor with MW3 maps.

Also, what the hell is up with the dimensions in MW3? Its like all buildings are made for hobbits and crap. Everything seems off.

rance said:
It's inconsistent. It's one OHK sometimes but it's 4HK the next. This is with damage proficiency added by the way.

I picked it up earlier from a dude with Assassin Pro on (T__T)... I don't see the problem, I got 3 or 4 OHK on him, It does feel a bit inconsistent in the range department though.

Card Boy

Banned
Saw this on Maximilian's youtube channel

The M.O.A.B
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n1dP6doFwxE&feature=channel_video_title

It's a hidden 25 kill killstreak like the Nuke (not in the menu at all) except

-You have use guns only to get it (Strike packages doesn't get you it faster)
-You get no titles/emblems/challenges/reward for getting the MOAB (so there is no incentive to the boosters)
-Unlike the Nuke It doesn't end a match when used. It kills everybody on the enemy team and acts like a EMP, it also disables the enemies perks.

def sim

madmaxx350 said:
I picked it up earlier from a dude with Assassin Pro on (T__T)... I don't see the problem, I got 3 or 4 OHK on him, It does feel a bit inconsistent in the range department though.

Sounds like you saw the problem! I grinded the hell out of the gun just to get damage proficiency, I'm about to get the gold camo on it so I've probably used it more than everybody here, and it's been finicky about OHK the whole time.

Gez said:
Saw this on Maximilian's youtube channel

The M.O.A.B
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n1dP6doFwxE&feature=channel_video_title

It's a hidden 25 kill killstreak like the Nuke (not in the menu at all) except

-You have use guns only to get it (Strike packages doesn't get you it faster)
-You get no titles/emblems/challenges/reward for getting the MOAB (so there is no incentive to the boosters)
-Unlike the Nuke It doesn't end a match when used. It kills everybody on the enemy team and acts like a EMP, it also disables the enemies perks.

lol @ strategies for it. Just play like a bitch. Ignore objectives and spawn camp so you shoot a lot of people going for objectives in the back. It is good though that you get nothing for getting the MOAB, will make a lot less people play like he was in that video, which you ALWAYS had people doing in Demolition on MW2.

Mik2121

Man.. the Javelin sure is a big piece of horseshit. I've been trying to take down a bunch of UAVs but between the fact that it takes forever to spot some (specially in one of the snow levels) and that it takes it's sweet time to actually reach the target, I just can't seem to be able to take down many of them. Plus, by the time I spot one, it's been so long I already got enemies around me.

I've given up on trying to take down UAVs at least until I unlock a good rocket launcher...

soultron

Banned
I find it kind of funny how I was a huge COD burn-out going into this (also was a hater) but I'm enjoying this more than some of the people who seemed to be the most hyped.

Xux

Mik2121 said:
Man.. the Javelin sure is a big piece of horseshit. I've been trying to take down a bunch of UAVs but between the fact that it takes forever to spot some (specially in one of the snow levels) and that it takes it's sweet time to actually reach the target, I just can't seem to be able to take down many of them. Plus, by the time I spot one, it's been so long I already got enemies around me.

I've given up on trying to take down UAVs at least until I unlock a good rocket launcher...
Just use the SMAW.

MercuryLS

Banned
omnomis said:
I am DECIMATING with the CM901. I would take that graph with a grain of salt. It doesn't tell the whole story.

There's something about that gun I just don't like, I can't quite put my finger on it. So far I'm loving the SCAR-L just like I loved the SCAR-H in MW2. I think it's the lower fire rate, it just makes it easier for me to keep a bead on enemies. That and I like the regular iron sights, so I can put on a silencer and forgo optics.

dmg04

#DEADWRONG
stinger is the way to go, baby.

Maxed out my M4, Stinger, and now focusing on the SCAR. Currently sitting at level 59 with around 10 and a half hours played.

Xux

Mik2121 said:
Yup. I just tried using that one and it's so much faster. The hell.. the Javelin is such a worthless launcher.
Seems like it's just one Javelin rocket to take out an attack helicopter but the SMAW is otherwise more useful.

Mik2121

I see. Oh well, I will wait until I can unlock the stinger, anyway.

BTW, I just saw the first quickscope guy. Poor idiot ended up with negative K/D (on TDM so that's the most important stuff really). Hopefully he had fun... ugh...

demolitio

I still can't decide between the M4 and the SCAR to be my go-to weapon. The M4 has ALWAYS been my favorite in every COD so far from COD4, MW2, and even Black Ops (technically the Commando but it was the first rifle under the AR-15 platform to be used by the military so it counts :p) so of course I like it in this game but I also like the SCAR and can't tell which I'm better with. I'm thinking of making the SCAR my stealth class with a suppressor since it has the better range so it can sacrifice some of it.

So far, I'm actually enjoying MP but the maps leave a lot to be desired to the point where I actually DO wish old maps would return.

Man, I hate supressors soooo much.
Everyone is using them now, because of MW3's low player health.
70% of the time, when I watch the kill-cam, its "pt pt pt pt". :mad:

M.W.

Bumblebeetuna said:
lol @ strategies for it. Just play like a bitch. Ignore objectives and spawn camp so you shoot a lot of people going for objectives in the back. It is good though that you get nothing for getting the MOAB, will make a lot less people play like he was in that video, which you ALWAYS had people doing in Demolition on MW2.

Camp? Pff. Just be good.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uhRDHA60-ds

Top Bottom