• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3 |OT| Got 99 Problems, But Sales Ain't One.

BlueScrote said:
That's what I'm finding. Tuesday night when I played everything was chaotic and I was getting massacred. Yesterday I was starting to recognize what spots are mostly safe to stick around in and where to expect people from coming from. My KDR is far away from 2 at the moment though.

ilnadmy said:
I was really giving up on MW3's multiplayer, what with the quick deaths and boring level design, but then yesterday something clicked. I found myself recognizing spots on the map that were OK to hang out in for a while, using my support killstreaks properly, and unlocking some useful perks that fit my playstyle.
[/b]

I'm looking forward to lots of posts like this in the coming weeks. Most of this "bad maps" talk is going to disappear very soon. Just as it always does.

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.
DarkFlow83 said:
Ugh, Elite is still fucked up. How the hell could they mess this up this badly? After all the pimping of this and clan stuff, to not have it working for 3 days is laughable. Also if you paid for it, somewhere in the TOS it says after 48 hours they owe you some money.
I know this is different because lots of people are paying for their membership, but I remember when UT2K4 came out, the stats website didn't work for WEEKS. It may have even been multiple months. It sucked... I sure hope they can get these kinks ironed out soon.

Jarmel

Banned
BruiserBear said:
I'm looking forward to lots of posts like this in the coming weeks. Most of this "bad maps" talk is going to disappear very soon. Just as it always does.

No these are just poorly designed maps. People might adjust but they're still the worst maps in the COD series.

N

NinjaFridge

Unconfirmed Member
Lima said:
That's like 5% of the campaign.

I completed the campaign 100.3% and i agree. Pretty bad and easily the worst out of the MW games.

RickA238

Has anyone noticed an issue with MW3 for PC where the framerate is consistently around 41-43 FPS? I highly doubt that this is an issue with my hardware, because I have tried dropping the resolution from 1080p to 720p, dropping the image quality from extra all the way down to low, dropping anti-aliasing from 4X to off. I ran Black Ops on max everything at a locked 60FPS. I can also run Witcher 2 on high settings, 1080p at ~40FPS. I have an nVidia GTX460. Has anyone experienced similar issues?

Danny 117

Vigilant Walrus said:
ughhhh... 30 minutes with the single player. most boring thing all year. so far worse than bf3 campaign.

black ops actually had some cool set pieces, and some good music and references. this was beyond lame.
Play on, it gets much better. CoD4 levels of awesomeness IMO

JB1981

TheApatheticOne said:
Played a little bit more last night, and after Day 2 and just a brief time with the game (only level 19), Im very mixed.

- I know this one reeks of scrub whining (which makes sense, I am one and my K/D is like .8 in this game so far), but as smooth as everything here plays, I cant get over the fact that everyone seems to be playing .5-1 second in the future. Everyone isnt that quick.

This is my biggest frustration with the game too. In most engagements everyone is so much quicker than I am and I KNOW it's not because they are just that good, it's lag and there is nothing you can do to counter it. I don't remember COD 4 or MW2 being this bad.

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
Guys the maps aren't "bad" we're just not used to them yet. Give it time, this always happens with new shooters. "GOD DAMMIT NUKETOWN SUCKS I HATE THAT MAP SO FREAKING MUCH WHAT THE HELL WAS TREYARCH THINKING!!!" Two months later I have a blast every time that map comes up.

Beat the campaign yesterday on Veteran and I am pretty sure I enjoyed it more than Modern Warfare 2. It seemed like a more grounded, realistic version of a World War III (ignoring nuclear weapons) than the tad bit of crazy we got in MW2. The action in the European cities was definitely the highlight for me and I kind of wish we could get a modern warfare (the setting) game that just focused on this. It seems like everyone has to go off on this spec ops tangent where a small team is fighting through poorly trained mercenaries chasing a terrorist etc. I know people are pretty much done with the Modern Warfare trilogy, but I would be happy following a regular soldier through the main warfare of the three games as a single side story. I might actually sit down with the three this weekend and do just that using mission select.

Difficulty wise Veteran felt a lot easier than previous games and there are only two or three moments where I ran into issues. The last major section of the final level is definitely one where I got stuck and I kind of feel like I just got lucky breaking through it in the end. Otherwise the game flowed a lot smoother than previous iterations and it did not feel like a game of

Progress Progress....Get stuck for 30 minutes...Progress...Get stuck....etc.

I also messed around with Survival mode a bit last night both solo and with a partner and it seemed pretty fun. Best was Level 20 on Resistance and I plan on messing with it a lot more. The airstrike gimmicks can be fun and it is a blast to try to get the mob chasing you just so you can drop a giant airstrike on them. The same with the helicopter waves where you try to take them both out with one grenade (pulled it off a couple times). I just wish it supported four players since that is usually the minimum number of people I game with on weekends. Otherwise it would work well as a balance with Gears 3 Horde mode.

Multiplayer I really have not touched since MW1 and I doubt I will since I have Battlefield. I might give it a shot one weekend since I have all of these Mt. Dew caps to use, but nothing more than that.

X-Frame

I have some questions after an hour of playing if anyone can help answering:

1. What is the circle of static I saw on the mini-map last night? It didn't move the whole time and was there for minutes.
2. What's the difference between the two Juggernaut killstreaks?
3. What specifically besides kills contributes to the Support killstreaks? Grabbing objectives? Assists?
4. Are there any "open" maps like Overgrown or Wasteland in this game? Because I didn't come across any.

Thanks!

MarshMellow96 said:
Plus hidden lag means even if I'm in a 'safe' spot I still lose 1v1 encounters.

Yes, because your opponent always has that advantage on his side......but you don't, ever.

Are you understanding why this logic is so broken? Unless you're suggesting the game is rigged against you, this supposed lag would give YOU the advantage 50% of the time.

Not that I even believe this special lag exists, but I'm just sayin. If you're going to make those claims, you've got to think that through.

aku:jiki

X-Frame said:
I have some questions after an hour of playing if anyone can help answering:

1. What is the circle of static I saw on the mini-map last night? It didn't move the whole time and was there for minutes.
2. What's the difference between the two Juggernaut killstreaks?
3. What specifically besides kills contributes to the Support killstreaks? Grabbing objectives? Assists?
4. Are there any "open" maps like Overgrown or Wasteland in this game? Because I didn't come across any.

Thanks!
1. Not sure myself, but I guess it's a radar jammer? I think a friendly recon drone has the same circle (but it moves).
2. Assault one gets an M60, support one has a riot shield.
3. Getting kills, capping objectives and destroying enemy killstreaks (including stuff like sentries and SAMs). Assists apparently count if you have Hardline Pro.
4. Not really.

BruiserBear said:
Yes, because your opponent always has that advantage on his side......but you don't, ever.
You keep posting that, but I'm not seeing anyone saying that they don't recognize that the enemy team has the same problem? It's still super fucking bullshit when some dude flies around the corner and instakills you when you're 1 off a high streak.

aku:jiki said:
You keep posting that, but I'm not seeing anyone saying that they don't recognize that the enemy team has the same problem? It's still super fucking bullshit when some dude flies around the corner and instakills you when you're 1 off a high streak.

I'm posting it because I've seen these exact same claims with each new COD game for the past 5 years. It never fails.

Lots of people hate the maps, and some people think the lag is unbearable.

Also, I should note that I'm playing the game on the 360, so maybe PS3 users are experiencing something different there, but on the 360 version I feel like the lag is no different than any previous COD game I've played.

BruiserBear said:

Are you understanding why this logic is so broken? Unless you're suggesting the game is rigged against you, this supposed lag would give YOU the advantage 50% of the time.

Not that I even believe it exists, but I'm just sayin. If you're going to make those claims, you've got to think that through.

I'd say it's less than 50%.

I know the game isn't broken against me or think that it's some 'special lag' bullshit. I will happily say yes, I have had some good games; but I know these games aren't down to my own skill. These games are simply down to me lucking out on a good connection and that doesn't feel good at all.

I've said it before: I can go on MW2 or BO right now and I'll do 2.00 and up - here I'm struggling to break even. But then again, it's not even about my e-dick. It's about enjoying the game. Fair enough, usually there's teething problems, but this time it doesn't feel like it's learning the maps or getting used to the gun changes or any broken perks - it's just hidden lag. I'm shooting at shadows all the time. It feels as though every damn killcam shows me not shooting at all or running sideways past a dude who is ten metres that way. I know it's not the case all the time, but it's happening frequently enough to make the multiplayer - which I could see myself actually really enjoying - a wholly frustrating, almost unplayable experience for me currently.

Lots of people on here are having problems - stop writing them off as whining because it's not always the case. It's probably about 50% and the rest are 'special', as you say.

N

NinjaFridge

Unconfirmed Member
MarshMellow96 said:
I'd say it's less than 50%.

I know the game isn't broken against me. I will happily say yes, I have had some good games; but I know these games aren't down to my own skill. These games are simply down to me lucking out on a good connection and that doesn't feel good at all.

I've said it before: I can go on MW2 or BO right now and I'll do 2.00 and up - here I'm struggling to break even. It doesn't feel like it's learning the maps or getting used to the gun changes or any broken perks - it's just hidden lag. I'm shooting at shadows all the time. It feels as though every damn killcam shows me not shooting at all or running sideways. I know it's not the case all the time, but it's happening frequently enough to make the multiplayer - which I could see myself actually really enjoying - a wholly frustrating, almost unplayable experience for me currently.

To be fair it is still the first week and COD online is always piss poor in the beginning. It's apparently too much to ask that a billion dollar franchise actually update their net code to something worthwhile especially when that's what makes it so successful.

Victrix

*beard*
Enjoying everything so far except the shotguns

The 1887 is a decent single shot (oh the irony) and the AA12 or Striker with Range is a decent auto, but the inconsistency is just utterly maddening. I'll fire a SPAS at a dude point blank and get hit markers (sometimes twice!). Other times I'll fire at a dude 20 feet away and get a longshot.

I can deal with nerfed range, I can't handle the inconsistency. Up the pellets, lower the damage, and widen the spread at range or something. Whatever it takes to prevent 2 pellet hits at knife range.

Also newbies don't know how to handle Juggernaut or Remote Sentry :V

Remote Sentry is especially hilarious, because unless they have Blind Eye (which they don't), they show up as bright red boxes anywhere in your view. So you track them behind cover as they run into view, mow them down. Repeat 2-3x. Then they get crafty and try to sneak up at you from a different angle. Except you're sitll tracking them behind cover. So you mow them down again. Funny stuff. Get that baby up in a good spot and you can rake in the kills.

Otherwise, amazed at the lack of random issues or connectivity problems. We hit a few spots of lag here and there, but otherwise, it's pretty great.

Victrix

*beard*
PalaceBrother said:
Has anybody played with the M60 yet? That was easily my favorite gun in Blops.

Two shot kills at shortish range :V

Only LMG/AR that can do that, not counting the burst rifles.

LMGs have damage falloff in MW3 though, which makes them very, very nerfed in comparison to MW2. They were horribly broken in that game though, but weirdly nobody noticed it (two shot kills at any range? 100+ bullets in my mag? great penetration? why yes, I'll mow your whole team down repeatedly)

The playstyle required is/was, ironically, closer to an actual sniper than the sniper rifles. Slow movement speed, shitty hipfire, shitty ads time, shitty sprint, all mean you need to hole up somewhere and cover an area.

Upshots now: Deep magazines, great stability when prone, Rapid Fire is a big deal, still have good penetration.

Not sure if that balances out against the ARs though. I'm still playing with them. Level up your favorite, get Rapid Fire, use prone whenever possible, burst fire, and drill idiots through walls.

LeMaximilian said:
Took some time, but the game finally began to click for me tonight.

Different kind of playstyle, different guns, etc. Seems to be working out rather well.

Yep. Different game means different strategies.

Once things settle down I'm sure people will realize that their strategies on these maps were flawed, not the maps themselves. I learned to love Dome last night-great setup on that map.

Victrix said:
Two shot kills at shortish range :V
Rapid Fire is a big deal

Amazing-can't wait to unlock it. You can put Rapid Fire on an LMG?

MarshMellow96 said:
I know it's not the case all the time, but it's happening frequently enough to make the multiplayer - which I could see myself actually really enjoying - a wholly frustrating, almost unplayable experience for me currently.

Lots of people on here are having problems - stop writing them off as whining because it's not always the case. It's probably about 50% and the rest are 'special', as you say.

NinjaFridge said:
To be fair it is still the first week and COD online is always piss poor in the beginning. It's apparently too much to ask that a billion dollar franchise actually update their net code to something worthwhile especially when that's what makes it so successful.

Victrix said:
Otherwise, amazed at the lack of random issues or connectivity problems. We hit a few spots of lag here and there, but otherwise, it's pretty great.

The variety of experiences is amazing. From unplayable to great. It's all in this thread.

I'm just going to suggest that people start noting the version of the game they're playing, because maybe, just maybe we may start to notice a pattern in the "problems".

zam

Best feature in this game: Being able to hear the voice-chat of the opponent that you just killed. Love hearing the rage :)

Kyoufu

zam said:
Best feature in this game: Being able to hear the voice-chat of the opponent that you just killed. Love hearing the rage :)

It was nice but I had to turn off voices completely since for some reason people have the worst quality mics ever, and the random screams/music they transmit gets real fucking annoying.

Loved the reactions when I killed the enemy though. I miss that ;(

zam said:
I had no idea there was this much raging in COD, every person I kill has something so say.

"The fuck are you using a shotgun for bitch, use a real gun!" :lol

Adamm

zam said:
Love this!
Normally i mute people straight away, but i leave the other team unmuted to hear the rage! :D

upJTboogie said:
I had no idea there was this much raging in COD, every person I kill has something so say.

"The fuck are you using a shotgun for bitch, use a real gun!" :lol
Well in his defense, what the fuck are you using a shotgun for?

The_Monk

For those who finished the Single Player, how hard it is?

I finished MW2 on the hardest difficulty and only have one or maybe two hard times, but on Black Ops I only finished on the second most harder setting because it startet to get wat too frustrating...

So, comparing with previous COD games, how is it? More like MW2 or BO?

backflip10019 said:
Well in his defense, what the fuck are you using a shotgun for?
Anytime I notice the game is going slow and people are just camping out, I switch to the riot defense class with the Striker, crashing their party is so much fun.

sweetfish

Gold Member
Woah, woah, woah... People are hating on shotguns now? Only players I hate in MP are those quickscoping-sniper-thinga-magoos! Shotguns I love!

sweetfish said:
Woah, woah, woah... People are hating on shotguns now? Only players I hate in MP are those quickscoping-sniper-thinga-magoos! Shotguns I love!
Nah, I don't hate them by any means. I just don't think they're as viable in as many situations due to the fact that they're now primary weapons.

Kyoufu

backflip10019 said:
Nah, I don't hate them by any means. I just don't think they're as viable in as many situations due to the fact that they're now primary weapons.

Not sure if I follow. They were primary in COD4 too.

sweetfish

Gold Member
backflip10019 said:

I guess that's true, but usually fun to run around with if you pick up an AR as backup.
Also, shotguns + hardcore modes = fun!

Tadale

I finished the campaign up last night, and I was also pretty disappointed.

I know there's a lot of talk about how a lot of things are just copied over from MW2, but a couple of things really stood out to me – notably the boat escape after the sub section, and the breaching animations. They were so shamelessly ripped out of the last game that it was distracting.

Dipswitch

So as someone who bought BF3 for the SP and hated it (Ironically loving the MP, which normally isn't my cup of tea), is the MW3 campaign on par with the first two MW games?

I really enjoyed the campaigns for both of those games and may stick this on my Christmas list if the campaign is really good.

Kyoufu

Dipswitch said:
So as someone who bought BF3 for the SP

TGyYZ.jpg

sweetfish

Gold Member
Dipswitch said:
So as someone who bought BF3 for the SP and hated it (Ironically loving the MP, which normally isn't my cup of tea), is the MW3 campaign on par with the first two MW games?

I really enjoyed the campaigns for both of those games and may stick this on my Christmas list if the campaign is really good.

If you enjoyed the campaigns from MW1 and 2, I think you will enjoy this one as well! I know I did, and I loved the previous campaigns. Sadly it was quite short, but the Spec-ops and MP make good for it. Haven't played BF3 SP though, so I can't compare.

Also, lol Kyoufu

Apoc87

Banned
can prestige'd people still play with non-prestige after they have prestige'd?

I know I will probably never prestige, I don't really have that kind of time or skill to devote to this. But all my friends are climbing level 40+, and some of them have stated that they will prestige this week.

will I be SOL after they prestige?

Victrix

*beard*
CoD4 > MW3 >>>>>>>>>>> MW2

But MW3 has some great moments in it. It's also far more coherent than MW2 (almost too safe if anything).

Several bitching missions in it too.

Detox

Apoc87 said:
can prestige'd people still play with non-prestige after they have prestige'd?

I know I will probably never prestige, I don't really have that kind of time or skill to devote to this. But all my friends are climbing level 40+, and some of them have stated that they will prestige this week.

will I be SOL after they prestige?
No you can always play with them with no problems.

Calibur

I'm not saying the maps are bad but I think they went way overboard trying to make the maps smaller and camper free almost rendering Sniper rifles useless. I miss the large openness and having a bit of a breather in MW2 and blackops :(

Victrix

*beard*
PalaceBrother said:
You can put Rapid Fire on an LMG?

Yes, yes you can. And it unlocks fairly quickly too, level 14, less than half way to max.

It's the main reason LMGs aren't totally terrible this time around, what with the damage falloff.

Well. That plus LMGs are just ownage.

Detox said:
No you can always play with them with no problems.
Though he will be the lowest ranked as after prestige his friends level will dictate what oppenents you get (not that I really makes that much of a diffrence)

I have to walk home carrying my boxed box for five miles in the cold and I am still hyped as fuck to play this tonight.

Coldphire

Neo Member
I unlocked Assassin last night so I was finally able to build my silent class with Silenced Scar - L, Blind Eye, Assassin, and Sit Rep (for now). With that class I finally started to feel like I was doing really well. Also for me at least running a Support pointstreak equals no more raging when I die. I don't care because I know in just a few more points I'll still get my Recon Drone / EMP etc. I'll switch in Assault pointstreak but not until I can get longer killstreaks more consistently.

Hixx

I prefer Black Ops unlock system, I really liked the cash & the challenges, bit upset IW didn't bring that over.

I still think the maps are very bland visually but I don't think they're the clusterfuck many people in here seem to think they are. 6 v 6 and there's plenty of room to do your thing, infact some TDM are so slow that we don't reach the required kills to end the match.

Also the SCAR is great. Going from the UMP to that was quite an eye opener, can't believe I've read people saying that the UMP is 'the' weapon to use!

Top Bottom