• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3 |OT| Got 99 Problems, But Sales Ain't One.

Tomat

Wanna hear a good joke? Waste your time helping me! LOL!
CozMick said:
It's the maps dude, THE MAPS!!

They are amazingly terrible......apart from Underground.
I've only played for about a half hour so far, and I don't really remember the MW2 maps all that well. MW1 maps were great. Hated Black Ops, period.

Foxy Fox 39 said:
Yeah. The maps aren't that great. They didn't really design them that well. Out of 16 maps almost every single one feels the same.
This worries me. If the maps really are that bad then enjoying the game seems difficult.

I know that they'll inevitably release larger maps, but only as DLC.

Mik2121

Yeah.. I'm starting to like most of the maps. Even stuff like Carbon.. if you know how to get through it, it's alright... (nah, it still sorta sucks) The rest are pretty neat though.

CozMick said:
It's the maps dude, THE MAPS!!

They are amazingly terrible......apart from Underground.

They are horrible. I don't want to come off hyperbolic, but these maps are probably the worst set of maps I've personally played in a fps.

I was expecting a balanced version of MW2 for a sequel, not this. Many of the game design choices made for MW3 are bad ones, from the damage values, to the killstreaks, to the maps, the perks, and so on.........

Dan Yo

Banned
Foxy Fox 39 said:
I thought treyarch had nothing to do with this iteration...

I can't see them working on this game and nixing the awesome stuff they had in blops. Doesnt make sense.
I read that a large portion of Infinity Ward was filled up with people from Treyarch.

That would at least explain why the game's maps and appearance feel so much like Treyarch and not like COD. Are they even allowed to use the MW1/2 engine anymore? Otherwise, I can't understand why they'd go with the bland Blops engine for multiplayer again.

I don't know what this is, but it's certainly not a product from the directors of the first two MWs. It's something much more amateurish.

Mik2121

Foxy Fox 39 said:
Wager Match says Hello.
Ah yeah, that mode I played for 20 minutes.. :p

Nah, Kill Confirmed >> Wager Match

The only thing I miss from Black Ops is the customization. I expected even more here, not less. But I guess with all the kids making swastikas and the like, it wasn't mean to last long.. :/

Kyoufu

Foxy Fox 39 said:
Wager Match says Hello.

Wager Match is good, but Kill Confirmed is fucking awesome. COD4 levels of awesomeness.

In fact, they should release Kill Confirmed mode DLC for COD4 right now. RIGHT NOW!

test_account

XP-39C²
I think people just need to get used to the maps. When i played Black Ops, i didnt like the maps to begin with because i was more used with the MW2 maps, but now i love most of the Black Ops maps. I have the same feeling with MW3, but i'm sure this will change when i get used to them. Knowing where the enemy spawns on the map is very important in my opinion, otherwise i just keep running around looking for enemies and flank in the wrong direction etc.

By the way, is there a bug with getting the "Did you see that?" challenge? It is to flash or stun someone, then kill them with a throwing knife. I have done this 3 times now with a stun grenade, but i still havnt got the challenge completed.

Dan Yo said:
I read that a large portion of Infinity Ward was filled up with people from Treyarch.

That would at least explain why the game's maps and appearance feel so much like Treyarch and not like COD. Are they even allowed to use the MW1/2 engine anymore? Otherwise, I can't understand why they'd go with the bland Blops engine for multiplayer again.

I don't know what this is, but it's certainly not a product from the directors of the first two MWs. It's something much more amateurish.

Interesting. I would have assumed that but the last map packs for mw2 (The stimulus ones?) were very much like these maps.

CozMick

Banned
Man, I bloody love the M4A1.

I've already completed all the challenges bar the headshots. (Noobtube is fucking terrible in this game)

Amazing weapon.

Kyoufu said:
Wager Match is good, but Kill Confirmed is fucking awesome. COD4 levels of awesomeness.

In fact, they should release Kill Confirmed mode DLC for COD4 right now. RIGHT NOW!

If it wasn't for Kill Confirmed and Team Defender, I wouldn't be interested in this at all. Right now I'm seriously considering picking this up to start playing at the Christmas vacation.

Grisby

Final campaign time was 4:30 I believe.

Good rental and had a lot of fun with it. That engine can still produce some beautiful scenes to me and some set pieces were amazing. Shooting gallery it is but its not a long one at that.

Had more fun with it then Black Ops sp last year.

test_account said:
I think people just need to get used to the maps. When i played Black Ops, i didnt like the maps to begin with because i was more used with the MW2 maps, but now i love most of the Black Ops maps. I have the same feeling with MW3, but i'm sure this will change when i get used to them. Knowing where the enemy spawns on the map is very important in my opinion, otherwise i just keep running around looking for enemies and flank in the wrong direction etc.

Im one of the few that understand the game will be frustrating until you learn the map. I get that. I've learned plenty of the maps yet they still have that awkward "there's a corridor or mandatory turn every few paces" design. It's that portion of the design that's most upsetting to me. Also the now classic "3 or 4 ways to every one position" design. It makes maps overly complicated for the sake of trying to eliminate campers and noob tubers.

Edit: Even if I learn the maze I don't want every stage to be a maze.

Dan Yo said:
I think what you're not realizing is that this game is more Treyarch than IW. Or at least IW before the talent left.

This game is worse than the Treyarch CODs in many ways, but that's not saying much.

Absolute bullshit. I've played WaW (and BO) longer than you've slept in your life and the differences between a non-Treyarch game and a Treyarch game are vast. MW3 plays nothing like a Treyarch game. NOTHING.

For many, that's a good thing. For me, that's a bad thing.

DR3AM said:
What's the point of kill confirmed if you don't have to pick the dog tag to get the kill? Nobody seems to pick them up and it still causes campers. You only get points for picking them up.
Because you don't win games by camping. I've won several games of it where the other team obviously had more kills just from looking at the kill counts on the scoreboard. Sure, they can build up killstreaks and such, but those don't win games either in KC. You rarely score points off of a predator missile or a helicopter simply because you aren't able to pick up your victim's tags.

Dan Yo said:
That would at least explain why the game's maps and appearance feel so much like Treyarch and not like COD.

What are you even talking about? Treyarch are renowned for their preference for larger, more intricate maps. WaW maps were generally massive, BO were slightly smaller but still large in parts, but in MW3 the maps are claustrophobic and almost entirely boxy and small.

Map-wise, this plays nothing like a Treyarch game. Nothing.

Angry Fork

I hope someone from IW or Sledgehammer gives a response to the maps and weapon/health damage bullshit. I doubt they will but I need to know that they know it's awful.

I have this thought in my head where they're all lounging in chairs now celebrating now that development is over meanwhile many people like me feel like they've been ripped off. I just can't enjoy this game right now no matter how hard I try. I really want to like the MP and the maps make it dreadful (for snipers, I imagine this game is amazing for players like El Presador who run and gun and do nothing else).

I can't justify spending 50 for Elite too because who knows if they're going to make good maps if they can't even make good ones in the initial game. It seems like all the talent went to Respawn and current IW is amateur hour.

krameriffic said:
Because you don't win games by camping. I've won several games of it where the other team obviously had more kills just from looking at the kill counts on the scoreboard. Sure, they can build up killstreaks and such, but those don't win games either in KC. You rarely score points off of a predator missile or a helicopter simply because you aren't able to pick up your victim's tags.

And while I like that-I think the majority of those people don't care-at the end of the day they don't care if they lost 4 games of KC, they just care if they have a positive K/D ratio.

I'm not sure what the bigger problem in this game is, the maps (like somebody said, worst in franchise history) or the insta-kill "issue."

I'm not sure whether it's the weapon damage or bad netcode or a combination of the two, but it's pretty infuriating, especially watching the kill-cam afterwards (yes, I know killcam is not the be-all-end-all). It reminds me a lot of the damage bug in the BF3 beta where your health would go from 100% to 0% with no stops in-between.

I've played a lot of COD and have never seen stuff like that happen in any game besides this one.

Dan Yo

Banned
Foxy Fox 39 said:
Interesting. I would have assumed that but the last map packs for mw2 (The stimulus ones?) were very much like these maps.
The last MW2 map pack came out after the firings had already occurred.

Dear God, I can't wait to hear about what Respawn Entertainment is doing now. I want the true successor to the MW franchise dammit.

Kermit The Dog said:
What are you even talking about? Treyarch are renowned for their preference for larger, more intricate maps. WaW maps were generally massive, BO were slightly smaller but still large in parts, but in MW3 the maps are claustrophobic and almost entirely boxy and small.

claustrophobic is a very good word to describe the maps.

Been having a good time. Not concerned about K/D. Playing with friends and having new maps to run around is fun.

And the same reasons people might not like a map are the same reasons they can turn a map into their advantage. Get out of the box a little bit.

I don't have to be comfortable with a map to immediately recognize a bad layout or awkward design. With that said, I'm used to maps, I'm a pretty good player, and I still find the maps shitty.

Kyoufu said:
I'm a sad person, I yell "I'm the Juggernaut bitch!" when I slam enemies with my shield.
I can't stop yelling it when I get Juggernaut. It's fun in the same way that the Javelin glitch was fun in MW2: it's completely retardedly overpowered. A competent team could shoot down a chopper gunner before it did significant damage. You can get gangraped by 5 people and survive with Juggernaut. Then you regenerate back to full and do it all over again.

Dan Yo said:
The last MW2 map pack came out after the firings had already occurred.

Dear God, I can't wait to hear about what Respawn Entertainment is doing now. I want the true successor to the MW franchise dammit.

Release date doesn't mean anything because "came out" does not equate to developed:

The first map pack, titled the "Stimulus Package," was released first for Xbox Live on March 30, 2010
Following West and Zampella's firings, nearly half of the remaining Infinity Ward employees resigned. Throughout April and May 2010, 46 employees, among them lead designers and programmers who worked on Modern Warfare 2, abruptly left Infinity Ward. All have so far declined to comment on their reasons for leaving
Activision released the second downloadable map pack, titled the "Resurgence Package", exclusively for Xbox Live on June 3, 2010 in North America.

edit: Honestly I think IW just lost their mojo. Its not Treyarch...

Kyoufu

krameriffic said:
I can't stop yelling it when I get Juggernaut. It's fun in the same way that the Javelin glitch was fun in MW2: it's completely retardedly overpowered. A competent team could shoot down a chopper gunner before it did significant damage. You can get gangraped by 5 people and survive with Juggernaut. Then you regenerate back to full and do it all over again.

Sadly the first time I got the streak, some guy circled me and knifed me lol :(

Dan Yo

Banned
Kermit The Dog said:

The first thing I recall hating about the Blops maps, as well as what my friends were complaining about, was that all of the maps were small in comparison to traditional COD maps. Sniping (my friend's favorite thing to do in MW) was damn near useless in the Blops maps aside from Array. They were just plain poorly designed overall as well.

That coupled with more bland look of the engine used in Blops (It looks liek the same one they're using in MW3) just made the maps very unappealing.

The Blops maps were NOT quite as claustrophobic, cluttered, and amateurishly designed as the MW3 maps are, I will give you that. However, they are still just a step further in the direction that the Blops maps had taken. They are definitely more Treyarch than glory days IW.

Kyoufu said:
Sadly the first time I got the streak, some guy circled me and knifed me lol :(
Knives don't one shot you with Juggernaut. I'm not sure if anything does, maybe a predator missile.

MDavis360 said:
And while I like that-I think the majority of those people don't care-at the end of the day they don't care if they lost 4 games of KC, they just care if they have a positive K/D ratio.
That's why I like KC so much. You win the game by playing an aggressive style, you aren't just stat padding like in Demolition or Domination where you stack up a fuckton of meaningless kills.

Kyoufu

krameriffic said:
Knives don't one shot you with Juggernaut. I'm not sure if anything does, maybe a predator missile.

Yeah, I was being shot at from all angles. Was nasty, but I still managed to get hard.

Respawn

Banned
Foxy Fox 39 said:
Yeah. The maps aren't that great. They didn't really design them that well. Out of 16 maps almost every single one feels the same.
That's personal opinion brah. I have no problems with the maps. So many load out options for map strategy.

dmg04

#DEADWRONG
So, my Xbox slim has been making this weird rattling sound every now an then since i got it two months ago.

Today i got a 'disk unreadable' while playing a MP match.

about a quarter inch scratch on the outter rim of the game. :\

Looks like i need to buy either a hard drive or a USB tomorrow so i can install my friends game and not have to use the disk...

Mayyhem

I for one don't mind the weapon damage at all. But the maps, although I don't hate them by any means, there seems to be no one map that stands out as "amazing" they are all pretty meh.

Angry Fork said:
I hope someone from IW or Sledgehammer gives a response to the maps and weapon/health damage bullshit. I doubt they will but I need to know that they know it's awful.

I have this thought in my head where they're all lounging in chairs now celebrating now that development is over meanwhile many people like me feel like they've been ripped off. I just can't enjoy this game right now no matter how hard I try. I really want to like the MP and the maps make it dreadful (for snipers, I imagine this game is amazing for players like El Presador who run and gun and do nothing else).

I can't justify spending 50 for Elite too because who knows if they're going to make good maps if they can't even make good ones in the initial game. It seems like all the talent went to Respawn and current IW is amateur hour.

This. I bailed on MW3 last night after another horrible round of getting camped/shot in the back and having to deal with douchebags carrying that fucking riot shield. I'm sure I'm going to put some time into this game, but imo it can't even hold a candle to BLOPS. I realize there are differing opinions on that, but this is mine.

Dan Yo

Banned
Foxy Fox 39 said:
edit: Honestly I think IW just lost their mojo. Its not Treyarch...
Honestly, I don't have much experience with the final MW2 map pack. Nor could I be certain that former IW is completely responsible for them. I can't imagine them being anywhere near as bad as what was concocted for MW3 though.

Dan Yo said:
The first thing I recall hating about the Blops maps, as well as what my friends were complaining about, was that all of the maps were small in comparison to traditional COD maps. Sniping (my friend's favorite thing to do in MW) was damn near useless in the Blops maps aside from Array. They were just plain poorly designed overall as well.

That coupled with more bland look of the engine used in Blops (It looks liek the same one they're using in MW3) just made the maps very unappealing.

The Blops maps were NOT quite as claustrophobic, cluttered, and amateurishly designed as the MW3 maps are, I will give you that. However, they are still just a step further in the direction that the Blops maps had taken. They are definitely more Treyarch than glory days IW.

You have no idea. And I don't think you played it much.

With BO, Treyarch's penchant for huge maps was curtailed slightly. It still had many big, sprawling, sniper friendly maps though: Jungle, Hazard, Array, Crisis, Berlin Wall, Discovery, Convoy, Hotel, Silo and Drive In. Name me ONE map in MW3 that is close to being as big as ANY of those maps?

You could not. This is my argument. MW3 plays nothing like a Treyarch game.

PatzCU

And meanwhile in the MW3 thread, people who don't like the game have flocked to let everyone know while those who enjoy the game continue to play...

I haven't seen so much complaining in an OT since the MW2 thread. These games have become such juggernauts in sales that EVERYONE buys them, including people who should probably have no business doing so because they won't enjoy it. It sounds to me like a lot of people in this thread would be better suited playing other games.

The exact same cycle of abuse happens with every single CoD game. In MW2, people complained about kill streaks, exploiting, and terrible perks. In Blops, people complained about the lack of bullet damage, bad graphics, and lack of variation. And now here we are with MW3; it appears the winners will be too much bullet damage, bad maps, and the inability to find a good sniper spot.

def sim

It's weird getting killed by two bullets only for the killcam to clearly show five or six. Easily the most inaccurate iteration yet.

Mik2121

Kermit The Dog said:

With BO, Treyarch's penchant for huge maps was curtailed slightly. It still had many big, sprawling, sniper friendly maps though: Jungle, Hazard, Array, Crisis, Berlin Wall, Discovery, Convoy, Hotel, Silo and Drive In. Name me ONE map in MW3 that is close to being as big as ANY of those maps?

FALLEN
INTERCHANGE
BAKAARA
OUTPOST

Are at least as big as Jungle or Hazard. Though I admit probably not as big as Array.

Kermit The Dog said:

I'll agree with you there, but BLOPS also seemed to have a ridiculous amount of small cluttered maps as well. So while Dan is wrong, he isn't just randomly blaming Treyarch for no reason.

I can see why he would think MW3 maps were made from people at Treyarch. Also, even though they have huge expansive maps unlike mw3, they also had problems with flow.

Alot of the maps in BLOPS had about a billion ways to one spot making it almost impossible to keep still or even stay on the move, but not worrying about enemies surrounding you from five different paths that converge on your position.

Mik2121 said:

FALLEN
INTERCHANGE
BAKAARA
OUTPOST

Are at least as big as Jungle or Hazard. Though I admit probably not as big as Array.

Hazard? That's the golf-course map, you remember that right? It was fucking huge and had huge sight-lines. Jungle barely scraped through on my 'big maps' criteria but I think you're understimating its width and space. Jungle is the smallest 'big map' in BO and I'd argue it's still bigger than anything in MW3.

Foxy Fox 39 said:
I'll agree with you there, but BLOPS also seemed to have a ridiculous amount of small cluttered maps as well. So while Dan is wrong, he isn't just randomly blaming Treyarch for no reason.

Yep, but what's wrong with that? The argument is with variety. MW3 doesn't have any in terms of size.

I can see why he would think MW3 maps were made from people at Treyarch. Also, even though they have huge expansive maps unlike mw3, they also had problems with flow.

Yeah, flow problems indeed. With you there.

Don't agree with you about Treyarch's influence on MW3 maps. Tryearch likes their long sight-lines, verticality and sprawling nature. None of that in MW3.

Alot of the maps in BLOPS had about a billion ways to one spot making it almost impossible to keep still or even stay on the move, but not worrying about enemies surrounding you from five different paths that converge on your position.

Pretty much agree.

Top Bottom