• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3 |OT| Got 99 Problems, But Sales Ain't One.

Mastadon

Banned
After being pretty underwhelmed by it all initially, everything has just kind of clicked tonight and I'm having a blast with the multiplayer. The maps aren't great, but nowhere near as bad as some people are making out, and I'm not noticing a massive amount of difference with the damage/health compared to MW2.

Kill Confirmed and Team Defender are all kinds of awesome too.

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.
Alienshogun said:
I'm on the 360 and haven't experienced a bad game yet. (lag wise)
Seriously, I don't wanna jinx it, but it's been smooth as butter for me on 360 as well. Matchmaking gets me into games within 4-5 seconds on average, and I haven't experienced any noticeable lag in any games.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
vatstep said:
Seriously, I don't wanna jinx it, but it's been smooth as butter for me on 360 as well. Matchmaking gets me into games within 4-5 seconds on average, and I haven't experienced any noticeable lag in any games.

Location may play a role too. I've got 25 down 2 up and I'm right in the middle of the U.S, haha.

def sim

Mastadon said:
After being pretty underwhelmed by it all initially, everything has just kind of clicked tonight and I'm having a blast with the multiplayer. The maps aren't great, but nowhere near as bad as some people are making out, and I'm not noticing a massive amount of difference with the damage/health compared to MW2.

Kill Confirmed and Team Defender are all kinds of awesome too.

I agree with all this except for the damage model difference. MW2 had a lot of OHK shenanigans going on, but the SMG's/AR's never kill in just 2-3 hits. This is some hardcore mode stuff.

Brian Fellows

Pete Carroll Owns Me
Mik2121 said:
Really? I'm in Japan where the game isn't even on sale yet (only the people that imported it) and I always find a room within 30 seconds, always people from either Japan or Korea.

Yep when we have more than two people in a party at least. When its just me or me and a friend it doesn't take nearly as long.

Marco1

Really hoping that the dlc maps will be larger and more open.
I would like Overgrown again even though we had it in MW2 also.

UFRA

This has probably been asked before, I'm sorry in advance...

What do the 4 symbols mean on the botton of my callsign?

Are those my previous ranks from other COD games or something?

UFRA said:
This has probably been asked before, I'm sorry in advance...

What do the 4 symbols mean on the botton of my callsign?

Are those my previous ranks from other COD games or something?
Yep. They're the prestige you ended in previous games.

FStop7

Banned
Perks. I like perks. They offer you some interesting options.

Killstreaks. I think these are the worst things to ever happen to CoD. Get rid of them. They completely disrupt the flow of the game, throw strategy out the window, etc.

Mastadon

Banned
FStop7 said:
Perks. I like perks. They offer you some interesting options.

Killstreaks. I think these are the worst things to ever happen to CoD. Get rid of them. They completely disrupt the flow of the game, throw strategy out the window, etc.

There is a barebones playlist that removes killstreaks completely.

Fantasmo

Alienshogun said:
I'm beginning to see a pattern.

Most of the people complaining (especially about lag) seem to be on the PS3.

I wonder if that's indicative of something.

PS3 here. No major issues with lag.

1 big issue though. Joining a game in progress has not worked yet. I get dumped back to the MP Main Menu.

Played BO and MW2 on 360. Played BO and MW3 on PS3. No major discrepancies.

RJNavarrete said:
Has anyone noticed how ineffective stun grenades are this time around? It seems like you walk slightly slower but you can turn, aim, crouch, go prone, and jump just the same. Its really annoying for me since I have been a huge stun user since mw2.

Could be blast shield pro.

Mastadon

Banned
FStop7 said:
Yeah, I think that unlocks at Lvl 20. I'm at 19 right now so I should be able to try it out this evening.

It's a fun playlist, but I have to say I think they did a pretty good job with the killstreaks this year. The airspace is never too crowded, and there isn't a million UAV's up all the time like people with early copies were reporting.

This game can never, and I mean never put me in a match in progress successfully. It can put me in a lobby and the game starts fine, but 9 times out of 10 it tries to put me in a game in progress and it hangs and times back out. Very annoying.

Hixx

Why would anyone willingly vote for Carbon!?!? I dislike a few of the other maps but can see why certain types of players would enjoy them... but Carbon is one of the worst CoD maps ever. Woeful.

LowParry

HixxSAFC said:
Why would anyone willingly vote for Carbon!?!? I dislike a few of the other maps but can see why certain types of players would enjoy them... but Carbon is one of the worst CoD maps ever. Woeful.

There are worse.

Mastadon said:
Is it bad? I unlock it in a few levels =/

The recoil is really bad. Even with Kick attached. I eventually stuck with a silencer and just using the iron sights. It's okay but that recoil is really bad compared to other assault guns.

Zinthar

Dresden said:
It's the worst CoD game ever made. Maps feel disjointed, are small, and are basically rehashes of earlier maps - Fallen is like the aborted remains of Outskirts, etc. The guns all have odd, seemingly random stats and basically have Stopping Power turned on permanently. Graphically the engine is really showing its age.

MW2 might have been a mess balance-wise but at least the fundamental gameplay was good. This is just pure shit.

I agree. The maps are my biggest complaint as well. There's almost no verticality to about half of them, no points for teams to control, and the choice of domination locations in some maps seems as though it was an afterthought in the map design process.

It feels as though IW/Sledgehammer took the MW2 engine, raised the weapon damage by 30% or so (which makes latency differences more decisive in whether you win or lose a face to face gun battle), and didn't choose to play and assess the improvements and problems with Treyarch's Black Ops.

As compared to Black Ops, weapons do more damage (so that for most weapons, it takes one fewer bullet to kill), grenades have a significantly smaller damage radius, and equipment and tactical nades seem less useful in light of the lack of points of control on maps.

I think the changes and map design make for a significantly worse multiplayer than Black Ops. Black Ops seemed like a game designed to correct the problems with MW2 multiplayer, and MW3 reverted the series back to a place that I'm not a fan of. It's more random and "arcadey" than ever. For someone who enjoys multiplayer strategy, I think you'll be better served by games like Black Ops, Gears of War 3, & BF3, depending on taste.

Because latency is always a problem in console peer-to-peer multiplayer, the higher damage that a player can incur in those three games helps weigh one's success in battle more towards skill and strategy rather than latency. In MW3, you die so quickly that in some matches you can be killed before you ever have a chance to respond. It works both ways, but certainly the host of a match almost always dominates in a much more obvious way than any previous CoD multiplayer.

I know elite has been still working wonky, but has anybody been able to create a clan in it? I dont even know how to. The farthest I got was through the 360 console app but it tells me I have to be a member of a clan or visiting a clan that was found using the find a clan feature. Doesnt seem to be any place to "Create' a clan.

Madtown_

After another night and a few more games, I have a few thoughts.

1. Maps aren't the greatest, but they're ok.
2. Parties w/ 4 or more take some time to get into a game
3. Kill Confirmed is still awesome.
4. The perks seem to be balanced very well.

Ranking up seems a lot faster too. I barely have time to get significant challenges with a lot of the guns. Level 60 after 9 hours..

Fantasmo

Madtown_ said:
After another night and a few more games, I have a few thoughts.

1. Maps aren't the greatest, but they're ok.
2. Parties w/ 4 or more take some time to get into a game
3. Kill Confirmed is still awesome.
4. The perks seem to be balanced very well.

Ranking up seems a lot faster too. I barely have time to get significant challenges with a lot of the guns. Level 60 after 9 hours..
How are you leveling fast?

Card Boy

Banned
The SPAS-12 is pretty good with a grip and Steady-Aim. I wonder if it will be more beastly if i get the range perk on it?

Fuck i agree with El Presador. Fucken campers, i never camp its always run and gun for me. "You can take the bitch out of a game, but you can't take the bitch out of a bitch."

alterno69

Banned
Played yesterday for the first time, from the get go every map feels like a rehash of older maps, the textures and some elements like huts and random crap around the maps feel familiar in every map.

Linkhero1

Alienshogun said:
I'm beginning to see a pattern.

Most of the people complaining (especially about lag) seem to be on the PS3.

I wonder if that's indicative of something.

I'm on 360 and experienced some small lag, but it's gotten a lot better since first day.

Foxy Fox 39 said:
edit: Honestly I think IW just lost their mojo. Its not Treyarch...

I don't think IW lost anything... I just think people set their expectations to fucking high. I enjoy these games a lot, and yet I still recognize its problems. Doesn't take away from the fact that it is some of the most fun I have online with friends. I also manage to keep my expectations from getting blown out of proportion...

P90

A colleague at work needs some info as she is trying to decide which system for her son to play COD. So is it 360, PS3, or my thought would be possibly Vita?

Top Bottom