• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3 |OT| Got 99 Problems, But Sales Ain't One.

Mik2121

Kermit The Dog said:
Hazard? That's the golf-course map, you remember that right? It was fucking huge and had huge sight-lines. Jungle barely scraped through on my 'big maps' criteria but I think you're understimating its width and space. Jungle is the smallest 'big map' in BO and I'd argue it's still bigger than anything in MW3.
Ah sorry, I was thinking of something different. Yeah, Hazard is such a horrible map though..
As for the size, I think some of the largest ones are still from MW2.

The problem with the MW3 maps is, rather than being claustrophobic, that they have way too many paths that make it feel like a maze and kills a lot of the strategy the game could have. Then again, most COD players like to just keep running forward and shooting, so I guess it's not that bad for them.

And meanwhile in the MW3 thread, people who like the game a little too much have flocked to let everyone know that there are no problems whatsoever and all those problems don't exist because COD is the best.

Mik2121 said:
You have no idea. And I don't think you played it much.

FALLEN
INTERCHANGE
BAKAARA
OUTPOST

Are at least as big as Jungle or Hazard. Though I admit probably not as big as Array.
It's not about how big they are but more how the designers made it flow and how your line of sight is.

Outpost is a terrible map, and completely cluttered.

I'll give you Bakaara. Its cluttered but a bit more open. Its feels like a Mw2 map.

When I complained before, Interchange was the only semi open map I was referring to.

LOL I Haven't played fallen. Looks good though.

Still out of 16 maps you've only named 3 that are normal maps. There aren't really any sniping maps except maybe interchange (I played them all except fallen)

So 2 normal, arguably 1 sniping stage, and 13 close quarter combat stages.

Kyoufu

MarshMellow96 said:
And meanwhile in the MW3 thread, people who like the game a little too much have flocked to let everyone know that there are no problems whatsoever and all those problems don't exist because COD is the best.

Nobody here has said MW3 has no problems or is the best. Go back to the garbage thread.

LowParry

MarshMellow96 said:

The MP has problems, but the good far outweighs the bad.

I honestly don't mind the smaller maps, never really loved any of the big maps in previous CODs, although I don't think any of the maps compare to the best of MW2 at least not yet

Kermit The Dog said:
Yep, but what's wrong with that? The argument is with variety. MW3 doesn't have any in terms of size.

Yeah, flow problems indeed. With you there.

Don't agree with you about Treyarch's influence on MW3 maps. Tryearch likes their long sight-lines, verticality and sprawling nature. None of that in MW3.

Pretty much agree.

Well, Im not really saying Treyarch influenced MW3 - especially since IW made Carnival (before BlOPS) and that map is so close to MW3's offerings.

I was just saying I could see why he thought they did.

I hope the next Map Pack will have ONLY big stages (and maybe one rust/nuketown stage)

Respawn

Banned
Kermit The Dog said:
Hazard? That's the golf-course map, you remember that right? It was fucking huge and had huge sight-lines. Jungle barely scraped through on my 'big maps' criteria but I think you're understimating its width and space. Jungle is the smallest 'big map' in BO and I'd argue it's still bigger than anything in MW3.
Bigger that Downturn?

Shorty11857 said:
I honestly don't mind the smaller maps, never really loved any of the big maps in previous CODs, although I don't think any of the maps compare to the best of MW2 at least not yet
COD4's maps were comparatively tiny, even compared to MW3, but they were

1. Simple
2. Creative with lots of variety.
3. Not overly cluttered and system demanding (thus the lag was much better)
4. Had simpler killstreaks
5. Had flow - because you can camp out windows if you wanted or hide, but your options were limited. Not every outlet was viable for run and gun. Not every direction was viable for camping. Also, because the maps weren't overly cluttered, you can spot the guy out the window or the guy in the corner a lot easier.
6. It wasn't all Gun on Gun. Nades could destroy you if you were camping with no 50/50 chance about it. Of course, the 3x nades were an oversight and could have been addressed with a simple patch.
7. Walls were thin. Again, if you're hiding, I can kill you without having to address you and hope for the best.

6 and 7 kept people moving while the maps allowed for good line of sight. And thus the game was balanced and yet dynamic, unlike MW3 which is about as dynamic as a dead dog.

But that was a long time ago, when IW was, well IW.

soultron

Banned
Mr. B Natural said:
COD4's maps were comparatively tiny, even compared to MW3, but they were

1. Simple
2. Creative with lots of variety.
3. Not overly cluttered and system demanding (thus the lag was much better)
5. Had flow - because you can camp out windows if you wanted or hide, but your options were limited. Not every outlet was viable for run and gun. Not every direction was viable for camping. Also, because the maps weren't overly cluttered, you can spot the guy out the window or the guy in the corner a lot easier.
6. It wasn't all Gun on Gun. Nades could destroy you if you were camping with no 50/50 chance about it. Of course, the 3x nades were an oversight and could have been addressed with a simple patch.

But that was a long time ago, when IW was, well IW.
I agree with most of this, but how does a map littered with more cover/set dressings have anything to do with netcode?

Dan Yo

Banned
Foxy Fox 39 said:
Well, Im not really saying Treyarch influenced MW3 - especially since IW made Carnival (before BlOPS) and that map is so close to MW3's offerings.
I wouldn't be so sure that Carnival or any of the maps in the last map pack were designed by the same IW guys who designed the maps for MW1 and MW2. It's possible the guys who designed those were from Treyarch and/or the guys who designed the MW3 maps.

Mr. B Natural said:

This one is a big one. You have MW1 maps and MW2 killstreaks. The levels just dont go well, IMO, with the killstreaks available to you. Makes the maps seem smaller than they are when they are actually very comparable, maybe even bigger, than MW1 maps (from what my memory can recall).

Linkhero1

I'm starting to like some of the maps a little more than I did yesterday, but that's only because I figured out how to maneuver around. Still think this has the worst multiplayer map set out of any COD I've played. I can't even sniper in this game because the maps.

njean777

Kyoufu said:
I hope someone makes a shooter as fun as COD but on dedicated servers. P2P, when its bad, its REALLY bad.

Sad thing is they have the money for dedicated servers, they just dont give a shit about their customers. Not saying that them providing dedicated servers will automatically mean they give a shit about us, but it would be a plus for them.

Has anyone noticed how ineffective stun grenades are this time around? It seems like you walk slightly slower but you can turn, aim, crouch, go prone, and jump just the same. Its really annoying for me since I have been a huge stun user since mw2.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
RJNavarrete said:
Has anyone noticed how ineffective stun grenades are this time around? It seems like you walk slightly slower but you can turn, aim, crouch, go prone, and jump just the same. Its really annoying for me since I have been a huge stun user since mw2.

Concussion grenades slow you, flash grenades blind you.

Dan Yo

Banned
TheApatheticOne said:
This one is a big one. You have MW1 maps and MW2 killstreaks. The levels just dont go well, IMO, with the killstreaks available to you. Makes the maps seem smaller than they are when they are actually very comparable, maybe even bigger, than MW1 maps (from what my memory can recall).
Some of the MW1 maps weren't very large, acreage-wise, but they were always open and not cluttered. Rat mazes they were not.

StevieP

Banned
Kyoufu said:
I hope someone makes a shooter as fun as COD but on dedicated servers. P2P, when its bad, its REALLY bad.

You mean like all other CoD titles on PC outside MW2 and... well, sadly, MW3?

Brian Fellows

Pete Carroll Owns Me
Once again my 4 man party is having touble getting into games and even more trouble staying in a game when it finally puts us in one.

Isn't there any reason to use grenades in this game instead of Semtex? I haven't played much MP, but I want to know if it's worth my time to use the normal grenades, unlike MW2.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Jack Scofield said:
Isn't there any reason to use grenades in this game instead of Semtex? I haven't played much MP, but I want to know if it's worth my time to use the normal grenades, unlike MW2.

You can cook a regular grenade and bounce them.

Alienshogun said:
You can cook a regular grenade and bounce them.

You could do that with them in MW2, but Semtex was always the way to go. Why spend tme cooking a grenade when Semtex was already pre-cooked (in a sense)? Dunno if IW somehow nerfed it in MW3, such as by reducing the damage or the distance thrown. Just want to make sure either way.

aku:jiki

Jack Scofield said:
You could do that with them in MW2, but Semtex was always the way to go. Why spend tme cooking a grenade when Semtex was already pre-cooked (in a sense)? Dunno if IW somehow nerfed it in MW3, such as by reducing the damage or the distance thrown. Just want to make sure either way.
Because a semtex allows a tiny room for escape while a perfectly cooked frag does not. It's harder to use but more reliable, but ultimately not worth it since so few people escape semtexes.

soultron said:
I agree with most of this, but how does a map littered with more cover/set dressings have anything to do with netcode?
It has nothing to do with netcode or ping, but it has a lot to do with your experience when it comes to connection. It's the same reason why dedicated servers are better than PvP.

The Xbox that renders my game is the same xbox that connects to internet and is constantly relying information to other xboxs around the world. Your connection speed is directly connected to how hard your system is working to keep up with everything else. It all funnels. Nothing is free. Nothing.

Extreme example - your ping to a game is 20, which is great, but your PC runs at 2 frames per second. Your "connection" to the game isn't 20, it's 500+. Your PC has funneled. And the reason why it's 500+ is because your computer, which is clearly really struggling to run the game at all, is still being affected by the ping, which will hamper your experience even more. Your computer is really really working hard to run the game, it can't handle even the small strain of data packets coming in and out from the internet. Like toilet paper being flushed into a toilet that is already plugged.

The inclusion of physics to the game objects hampers your connection. Your xbox has to know that my xbox said that I shot that carton of milk and it went 20 feet and then bounced off the wall and hit the ground. It's just another packet of data that has nothing to do with gameplay that is being sent from one system to the next through the internet. It's a waste of informational relay. It's shrinking the tube. It's funneling.
Theater mode? Not free. It's not affecting your ping as your connection quality is the same, but it is affecting what your connection is doing for you, it is affecting what the xbox is doing for you. It's another + to your "real lag."
Bigger maps, especially when you look out long pathways, slow your game down and slow down your connection. In that case, the rendering is funneling.
Better PCs get equal ping in the same location with the same internet service. The better PC is not funneled. It can handle the packets being thrown at it better and throw packets back faster. It's not netcode, it's not ping, it's processing.
If the game's resolution was higher, not only would you take a framerate hit, but a connection hit. It would be probably miniscule, but it adds up. Thus was the MW2 effect and the BLOPS effect. They didn't make the netcode worse, I would imagine they improved on it, but the the extra strain the xbox and your connection had to run the game made it worse. They forced your xbox to relay more information and run harder in ways that has nothing to do with where you are, where your enemy is and whether your bullets/explosions are making contact. It is in fact, funneling and getting in the way of those things. It's quite small but we all feel it.

In other words, if the Xbox720 comes out and can play this game, you'd probably be impressed by your connection feeling more responsive.

popeutlal

Played the game for the first time yesterday, did not come out impressed at all. First thing I noticed was too much brown color in the maps...not a fan of aesthetics on this game.

The weapons, the kill streaks, the audio...they are all so samey. I don't see the point of this game's existence.

Maybe it'll get better with time, I remember being disappointed with BLOPS too...then I played it for one year.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Jack Scofield said:

Like I said, you can cook them and bounce them, that allows you to get them where semtex can't.

Also, I don't think you can throw semtex as far.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
I'm beginning to see a pattern.

Most of the people complaining (especially about lag) seem to be on the PS3.

I wonder if that's indicative of something.

I'm on the 360 and haven't experienced a bad game yet. (lag wise)

Mik2121

Brian Fellows said:
And it still takes 2 or 3 minutes to find us a match half of which end in the first two minutes.
Really? I'm in Japan where the game isn't even on sale yet (only the people that imported it) and I always find a room within 30 seconds, always people from either Japan or Korea.
Kyoufu said:
Where does it show that?
on the main menu, when you press 'FIND GAME' and shows all the playlists, it shows the total number of players at the bottom.

Alienshogun said:

As I said, I'm on the PS3 and I have only had a couple laggy games, but that's because the game's not even on sale here so I ended up matchmaking with some people from the US a couple times. Back when I was playing Black Ops, from day 1 all the way up to three days ago, I pretty much never had any lag problem... :/

def sim

Alienshogun said:

I doubt there's a difference in the P2P netcode. I'm on 360 and I run into bad games every now and then as well.

Anyway, Killcam inaccuracy is probably universal so I'm starting to doubt the damage model is as high as it seems.

Kyoufu

Mik2121 said:
Really? I'm in Japan where the game isn't even on sale yet (only the people that imported it) and I always find a room within 30 seconds, always people from either Japan or Korea.

on the main menu, when you press 'FIND GAME' and shows all the playlists, it shows the total number of players at the bottom.

Oh nice. Only 36k of those playing hardcore modes. :)

Top Bottom