• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3 |OT| Got 99 Problems, But Sales Ain't One.

Addnan

Starting to do decent now, using UMP45, rapid fire and silencer.

Not sure what the best sub machine combo is, gonna have to do some testing.

P90 said:
A colleague at work needs some info as she is trying to decide which system for her son to play COD. So is it 360, PS3, or my thought would be possibly Vita?
Which system does her son like best? Pick that one.

Madtown_ said:
After another night and a few more games, I have a few thoughts.

1. Maps aren't the greatest, but they're ok.
2. Parties w/ 4 or more take some time to get into a game
3. Kill Confirmed is still awesome.
4. The perks seem to be balanced very well.

Ranking up seems a lot faster too. I barely have time to get significant challenges with a lot of the guns. Level 60 after 9 hours..
Do you have any doupleXP? The point distribution seems the same.

Enordash

I personally find these things interesting so...
A little update on the Metacritic situation (all figures are for 360):

MW3: 89 - Critics, 3.2 - Users (722 positive, 88 mixed, 1,228 negative) Total: 2038

The reviews are littered with 0's, which I don't believe a lot of games deserve anyway. The main themes that I've been noticing as I read:

- Everything is bad, no redeeming qualities
- Should be playing a different game (BF3, Skyrim, etc.)
- Exactly the same as MW2
- Should have just been DLC
- Bad graphics
- Bad maps (perhaps one of the only legit complaints?)

To compare:

MW2: 94 - Critics, 5.8 - Users (123 positive, 29 mixed, 63 negative) Total: 215
Main negative complaints: Re-skinned MW1 but worse in every way

MW1: 94 - Critics, 8.4 - Users (218 positive, 22 mixed, 23 negative) Total: 263
Main negative complaints: Halo is better, why are you playing this?

People really showed up to hate on MW3. (I realize that the use of Metacritic has probably risen over the years and accounts for some of this increase)

Did IW change the netcode for some insane reason? I've had multiple instances where I would engage an enemy and have enough time to put two or three bullets into them yet get ZERO hitmarkers. It's ridiculously frustrating, and I don't remember that happening in MW2. Yeah, you would see some bullshit killcams after death in that game, but hadn't ever put more than three bullets into someone in MW2 without receiving any kind of feedback.

test_account

XP-39C²
test_account said:
By the way, is there a bug with getting the "Did you see that?" challenge? It is to flash or stun someone, then kill them with a throwing knife. I have done this 3 times now with a stun grenade, but i still havnt got the challenge completed.
Just quoting myself for a small correction. I guess there isnt a bug, but instead of flashing or stunning the enemy, i think that meself need to be flashed or stunned instead when throwing the knife.

Foxy Fox 39 said:
Im one of the few that understand the game will be frustrating until you learn the map. I get that. I've learned plenty of the maps yet they still have that awkward "there's a corridor or mandatory turn every few paces" design. It's that portion of the design that's most upsetting to me. Also the now classic "3 or 4 ways to every one position" design. It makes maps overly complicated for the sake of trying to eliminate campers and noob tubers.

Edit: Even if I learn the maze I don't want every stage to be a maze.
I understand. And i agree a bit to this. Some of the maps feels a bit difficult because there are so many routes that can be taken.

P90

AgentChris said:
Which system does her son like best? Pick that one.

He has no preference. More of his friends have a 360. They don't have a HDTV, so BluRay does not give the PS3 an advantage. I told her that getting cutting edge tech with the Vita would be preferable to old console tech that will be replaced in less than 18 months. I am assuming that the Vita will be able to interact with players using consoles. I don't play shooters, so I have no idea. I'd appreciate any guidance so I can give accurate and smart advice to my colleague. Thanks.

M.W.

I didn't realize the theater mode saved everything to your HDD. I guess I'm stupid. I just went through and deleted everything. Each file was 4-5mb. I guess turning off the recording improves your connection too.

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
One of the best pieces I've read about MW3 so far:

"Modern Warfare 3 reviews: why is this the most hated game on the web?"

http://www.guardian.co.uk/technology/gamesblog/2011/nov/10/modern-warfare-3-internet-hatred

I'm interested in hearing your guys' thoughts on this. Seems like people hate on COD constantly, and yet it is the highest selling game franchise year in, year out. I like his discussion of how we keep yelling for innovation yet we buy what's familiar and comfortable.

Zimbardo

i'm at a point in the pc single player campaign that's clearly fucked/bugged and it wont let me progress. tried reloading the whole mission and it still wont progress past a certain point. gotta love quality control like this.

happens during the Eye of the Storm mission @ the 5:20 mark of this following video ...

http://youtu.be/nHASxTajNDI

when you go prone and Soap tells you not to move ...the soldier in that video that comes over to the window where the dog was barking never happens on my attempts, and Soap just lays there forever doing nothing. if you move, the soldiers go nuts and kill either me or him.

love it. /rolls eyes/ shakes head.

EDIT: i figured it out.

@ 4:40 of that youtube video there's a sniper on the roof that Soap says to not draw his attention. each time i would shoot him anyway. this caused a few dogs to come out after us, which i killed every time. i assume one of those dogs is supposed to be the one that barks at the window around the 5:50 mark (where the guard comes over to look at it).

since i killed the dogs, that section isn't triggered hence allowing the senario to proceed.

silly bug and sloppy on the part of IW to not control that better in game.

finally completed that mission.

Brian Fellows

Pete Carroll Owns Me
P90 said:
He has no preference. More of his friends have a 360. They don't have a HDTV, so BluRay does not give the PS3 an advantage. I told her that getting cutting edge tech with the Vita would be preferable to old console tech that will be replaced in less than 18 months. I am assuming that the Vita will be able to interact with players using consoles. I don't play shooters, so I have no idea. I'd appreciate any guidance so I can give accurate and smart advice to my colleague. Thanks.

I'd go 360 then. Which ever system he'll have more friends to play with. These games are always better with friends.

N

NinjaFridge

Unconfirmed Member
soulassssns said:
That is what I thought.

I only found around 8 or so of them.
46 pieces of Intel in the game. There are some guides out there already if you want to collect them all.

Perhaps I just enjoy popcorn flick storylines but I felt that the ending to the campaign was awesome and tied it up really well. Dust to Dust was quite challenging on Veteran too. :)

runlikehell said:
Perhaps I just enjoy popcorn flick storylines but I felt that the ending to the campaign was awesome and tied it up really well. Dust to Dust was quite challenging on Veteran too. :)
Is it just me or did "World War 3" not really "feel" like WW3?

Pachimari

Wait, did this game sell 9.3 million copies in one day? A lot of people are tweeting this just now, source is ******** though. I bet this is another Uncharted 3 with it being shipped.

EDIT
And as that source is banned, I guess we should take the reports with a grain of salt.

runlikehell said:

Pretty much every mission had a 'Holy Shit!' moment. Call of Duty is the only game that can get away with that for some reason.

Kyoufu

Best XP I've gotten is doing Ground War. Doesn't matter which weapon you use. You can use the same weapon always and there will be enough challenges to net you tons of XP.

Finally popped onto the MP. Whats with rank 1's getting thrown in with ranks 60+ and prestiged people!?

Also one shot kill!? Tone down the bullet damage! jeeeeez!

Untracked

I'm getting the enemy team spawning right behind me far too often in TDM. It shouldn't happen unless your team goes too far forward, very very disappointed.
I believe this is what Maximillian was talking about, when he said an enemy you shoot is right back on you in seconds. They are literally spawning around the corner.
Maybe this is how IW want it, but it really pisses me off. It didn't happen in CoD4 or MW2 so something is busted IMO.
Anyone else having problems?

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Lionheart1827 said:
I know elite has been still working wonky, but has anybody been able to create a clan in it? I dont even know how to. The farthest I got was through the 360 console app but it tells me I have to be a member of a clan or visiting a clan that was found using the find a clan feature. Doesnt seem to be any place to "Create' a clan.

When you hover over that tab it still says "coming soon" so probably not yet.

Kyoufu

Untracked said:
I'm getting the enemy team spawning right behind me far too often in TDM. It shouldn't happen unless your team goes too far forward, very very disappointed.
I believe this is what Maximillian was talking about, when he said an enemy you shoot is right back on you in seconds. They are literally spawning around the corner.
Maybe this is how IW want it, but it really pisses me off. It didn't happen in CoD4 or MW2 so something is busted IMO.
Anyone else having problems?

It probably happens because all the "safe" spots are covered by a team mate, so the game has no choice but spawn the enemy behind you.

edit: Summer 2012? Why so late?

Anastacio said:
Wait, did this game sell 9.3 million copies in one day? A lot of people are tweeting this just now, source is ******** though. I bet this is another Uncharted 3 with it being shipped.

EDIT
And as that source is banned, I guess we should take the reports with a grain of salt.

There's not way, that's a 100% increase over BLOPS. 10 million sold in the first week is much, much more reasonable.

minx88 said:
ACR and Type 95 are head and shoulders better than all the others guns it's not even funny.

I never got this type of statement, in any COD game granted they are good guns especially the Type 95 but its always a preference thing.

For automatic weapons my K/D with the G36C is probably around 3.0 - 3.5, just because it feels right for me, I just don't do as well with the ACR just because.

I know there are alot of players like that.

wwm0nkey

Forsaken82[B said:
]I don't think IW lost anything[/B]... I just think people set their expectations to fucking high. I enjoy these games a lot, and yet I still recognize its problems. Doesn't take away from the fact that it is some of the most fun I have online with friends. I also manage to keep my expectations from getting blown out of proportion...
Didin't IW loose most of their important staff after the MW2 deal?

Fantasmo

DUMPED INTO A GAME WITH 60-70 RANKS
DUMPED INTO A GAME WITH 50-70 RANKS
DUMPED INTO A GAME WITH 73+ RANKS

I'm this close to snapping the disc

junkster said:

Levels don't mean anything. You don't unlock any overpowered weapons in this one.

MercuryLS

Banned
junkster said:

Ranks mean jack shit, I don't get why people care about this? There's plenty of great/terrible players at every "level". they give you great weapons from the outset, so the whole "they have better guns!" argument is moot.

MercuryLS

Banned
junkster said:
Oh so I guess you missed the 10 pages of G95 and ACR posts

Bro, I can own any G95/ACR player with a SCAR (early unlock) or UMP (available from the start).

junkster said:
To correct you, they mean far far far more in this game than MW2 and Black Ops combined .

Explain.

Fantasmo

MercuryLS said:
Ranks mean jack shit, I don't get why people care about this? There's plenty of great/terrible players at every "level". they give you great weapons from the outset, so the whole "they have better guns!" argument is moot.
Bullshit. Don't act like I'm a noob to this series because I'm not.

junkster said:

Rank =/= XP level.
slopeslider said:
Why is kill confirmed good? keep hearing about it.
It's the ultimate anti-camp gametype. If you camp, you're hurting your team.

Top Bottom