• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3 |OT| Got 99 Problems, But Sales Ain't One.

rezuth

FStop7 said:
I'll just throw this out there - is it possible the netcode is somehow punishing people with faster, lower latency connections in some botched attempt to achieve some kind of balance with higher latency players?
Doubt it, I'm having a great connection and no lag at my 100/10

The Antitype said:
I think it's much more simple.

This is a BAD game.
Nah bro. I'm sorry to hear you are having issues but this game is far from bad. Could be your NAT settings?

Mik2121 said:
Nah, it isn't. I don't have issues killing people. It might be your connection though, that could definitely be BAD :)

Flawless for every other game available on any platform. NAT settings are open.

In any case, even if you take the bad netcode out of the equation, you still have the bad maps, the bad weapon balance, the bad killstreak balance, and the complete lack of any gameplay evolution whatsoever.

Sledgehammer is cruising to a big paycheque with this game, but they've done their studio no favors as far as establishing a reputation.

This is B-Tier stuff at best.

rezuth

The Antitype said:

In any case, even if you take the bad netcode out of the equation, you still have the bad maps, the bad weapon balance, the bad killstreak balance, and the complete lack of any gameplay evolution whatsoever.

Sledgehammer is cruising to a big paycheque with this game, but they've done their studio no favors as far as establishing a reputation.

Call of Duty has not evolved anything since COD 4, I'm pretty sure you would have known this already when you bought the game. It is about refining and perfecting the formula which I must say they have done an excellent job at. All I can do is recommend you sell it if you can't feel the game at all. :) However I would vaguer that it is not all about the "netcode" and also about how you play.

rezuth said:
Call of Duty has not evolved anything since COD 4, I'm pretty sure you would have known this already when you bought the game. It is about refining and perfecting the formula which I must say they have done an excellent job at. All I can do is recommend you sell it if you can't feel the game at all. :)

I'll definitely sell it after I finish Spec Ops.

LowParry

Marcellus Wallace said:
Sorry if old, but...

COD4/MW2 map files found in MW3?

That'd be nice since this is probably the last COD game for this generation. Elite given us those maps on the fly :)

Mik2121

The Antitype said:

Jeez.. I know how you feel though I can't say I've been on your position. You got your ass kicked in the game and just can't take it anymore, so instead of wondering if perhaps you are not as good, or your connection is bad, you decide to blame it all on the game.

The maps are not bad. A couple of them are (Downturn and Carbon), but the rest are alright, and when you actually learn them, they feel pretty good. Not CS-good, but good enough for the kind of gameplay involved in this game (respawning all the time, etc..)

The weapons not well balanced is a first. There are a couple that might be slightly overpowered as some people say here, but I have beaten people with those weapons, so it's not like they are unstoppable. I actually think this is the best balanced COD game.

The killstreaks are fine as they are. I really don't know what game are you talking about. Perhaps you bought MW2 instead? That would explain a lot of things.

What gameplay evolution where you expecting though? Really, this feels like a COD game, and that's what everybody came in expecting.

Sledgehammer has worked on what could be the best COD campaign of the last few years. They surely did good enough and everybody here is saying pretty much the same.

The game is far from perfect, and I think the worst things right now are the three or four maps that suck the most, and Elite not being up. Otherwise it's good as it is.

Mik2121 said:
Jeez.. I know how you feel though I can't say I've been on your position. You got your ass kicked in the game and just can't take it anymore, so instead of wondering if perhaps you are not as good, or your connection is bad, you decide to blame it all on the game.

The maps are not bad. A couple of them are (Downturn and Carbon), but the rest are alright, and when you actually learn them, they feel pretty good. Not CS-good, but good enough for the kind of gameplay involved in this game (respawning all the time, etc..)

The weapons not well balanced is a first. There are a couple that might be slightly overpowered as some people say here, but I have beaten people with those weapons, so it's not like they are unstoppable. I actually think this is the best balanced COD game.

The killstreaks are fine as they are. I really don't know what game are you talking about. Perhaps you bought MW2 instead? That would explain a lot of things.

What gameplay evolution where you expecting though? Really, this feels like a COD game, and that's what everybody came in expecting.

Sledgehammer has worked on what could be the best COD campaign of the last few years. They surely did good enough and everybody here is saying pretty much the same.

The game is far from perfect, and I think the worst things right now are the three or four maps that suck the most, and Elite not being up. Otherwise it's good as it is.

Whatever. Had a 1.9 K/D yesterday, weapons were actually killing people in less than a clip.

Today, 1.1 K/D and I unload a clip into somebody just for them to turn around and kill be with a single burst.

So either I magically got terrible at the game overnight, or shitty netcode is shitty and can't handle the load.

Half way through any match I've played, the skies are FILLED, with up to three fucking kill-streaks from either team. All the kills from which stack into the next killstreak. It's laughable.

And yes, this campaign is fucking awesome if you love being driven around and placed on a turret. Then you're sure to love it.

I rescind my previous statement. The game is not bad. It is trash.

Mik2121

The Antitype said:
Whatever. Had a 1.9 K/D yesterday, weapons were actually killing people in less than a clip.

Today, 1.1 K/D and I unload a clip into somebody just for them to turn around and kill be with a single burst.

So either I magically got terrible at the game overnight, or shitty netcode is shitty and can't handle the load.

Half way through any match I've played, the skies are FILLED, with up to three fucking kill-streaks from either team. All the kills from which stack into the next killstreak. It's laughable.

And yes, this campaign is fucking awesome if you love being driven around and placed on a turret. Then you're sure to love it.

Eh.. what about.. when you first started playing you got paired with low-level people, which includes new people to the series that don't know how to play. As you leveled up, you started to get paired with higher level people, which started to kick your ass.
Besides that, your connection could be acting wonky today. I live in Japan where the game is not even on sale yet (17th of this month), so the only people with the game are people that imported it, which means, not many. And even then I get lag-free rooms 99% of the time. Explain me that...

As for the killstreaks, I don't really know. I have yet to see anything like that and I'm already level 53. You might be out of luck or something, but most games I've played have, at most, a couple UAVs flying (which I usually take down, so whatever..).

Regarding the campaign... whatever. Not all games have to be open and let you go everywhere. If COD is aiming for a more 'cinematic' experience with big sets and lots of action, that's good. And I don't think most of us go into COD expecting something like GTA or whatever you might be expecting.

Saying the game is trash is not the best thing to do, really. The game might not be the best game ever. And many people will not enjoy this kind of gameplay (though, selling so well, I'd say most people do..). But it's far from being trash.

dmg04

#DEADWRONG
The Antitype said:

play with a team. Unlock the stinger. Stop bitching.

You get a shitload of EXP from shooting down killstreaks. Not to mention, running the support package, you can get an EMP that rids airspace of that crap for a full minute.

belier

Anyone knows how to access to the console?

Is IW upscaling, unless you select Native?

Textures set on extra.

Ultra:

5Mkmz.jpg

Native:

RkDnA.jpg

demolitio

belier said:
Anyone knows how to access to the console?

Is IW upscaling, unless you select Native?

Textures set on extra.

Ultra:

5Mkmz.jpg

Native:

RkDnA.jpg

Apparently setting the Image Quality to Extra is really upscaling 720p instead of your native resolution so switching it to Native made a huge difference in clarity for me.

dmg04 said:
play with a team. Unlock the stinger. Stop bitching.

You get a shitload of EXP from shooting down killstreaks. Not to mention, running the support package, you can get an EMP that rids airspace of that crap for a full minute.

I do play with a regular team. And we win alot. My W/L is somewhere close to 3.0.

The problem is, I'm always around 1.0 or under because my weapons do less damage than anyone elses.

Win or lose, there's nothing fun about being fucked over by a game's haphazard quality.

Mik2121

The Antitype said:
I do play with a regular team. And we win alot. My W/L is somewhere close to 3.0.

The problem is, I'm always around 1.0 or under because my weapons do less damage than anyone elses.
What weapons are you using?

SLX

Banned
So since this game has been out for awhile, any rundown on the best weapons and perks to use?

I think the M4A1 and UMP are probably the best two weapons so far. Assasination probably the best perk and using silencer on the weapons.

Mik2121 said:
What weapons are you using?

I alternate all the fucking time to try and break out of the slump.

I like mid-range battles and using the sights, so I go with assault rifles.

I use the M4 (which is what got me to 1.9 yesterday), the CM901 and the G36C.

All the same issue. Pump half a clip into a guy to kill him (if I'm lucky), hearing the clicks of the hashmarks the whole way, only for the guy to turn about and kill me with one burst, often (hilariously) with the same weapon I was shooting him with.

darkwing

The Antitype said:
I alternate all the fucking time to try and break out of the slump.

I like mid-range battles and using the sights, so I go with assault rifles.

I use the M4 (which is what got me to 1.9 yesterday), the CM901 and the G36C.

All the same issue. Pump half a clip into a guy to kill him (if I'm lucky), hearing the clicks of the hashmarks the whole way, only for the guy to turn about and kill me with one burst, often (hilariously) with the same weapon I was shooting him with.
that's lag, you might have 2 bars or lower

CozMick

Banned
So what's everyone else rolling with?

For me:

M4A1 w/ Holo
MP7
Kick
Sleight of Hand Pro
Assassin Pro
Stalker Pro

And if you say UMP then you don't deserve to quote me :p

CozMick said:

For me:

M4A1 w/ Holo
MP7
Kick
Sleight of Hand Pro
Assassin Pro
Stalker Pro

And if you say UMP then you don't deserve to quote me :p

The setup I had the most success with (yesterday) before this newfound difficulty dealing damage was:

M4A1 w/ Hybrid Sight
MP7
Kick
Blindeye
Assassin Pro
Marksman

CozMick

Banned
The Antitype said:
The setup I had the most success with (yesterday) before this newfound difficulty dealing damage was:

M4A1 w/ Hybrid Sight
MP7
Kick
Blindeye
Assassin Pro
Marksman

Do you find Stability inferior to Kick? can't seem to find a difference...

Mik2121

CozMick said:
For me:

G36C w/ silencer and hybrid sight
Stinger
Bouncing Betty / Concussion Grenade
BlindEye Pro
Assassin Pro
Sitrep (testing it out now)

Working fine for me :p

aku:jiki

Mik2121 said:
Besides that, your connection could be acting wonky today. I live in Japan where the game is not even on sale yet (17th of this month), so the only people with the game are people that imported it, which means, not many. And even then I get lag-free rooms 99% of the time. Explain me that...
It's cool that you're loving the game, but I think you're being far too forgiving of the game. You are not the only person having a "lag-free" experience while everyone else has a terrible connection or whatever, you're just the only one not noticing how incredibly laggy the game is. For the record, I'm rocking 100mbit with a perfectly set-up Linksys router and every other encounter is 100% bullshit for me! Dude enters my screen and I instantly die, killcam shows him being in the room for a good second or two before firing.

Turning off theatre recording does nothing. :(

The Antitype said:
Like I said.

100/10 connection, I'm usually 4 bars. Never been lower than 3.
It's not your connection's fault, it's the game. I also have 4 bars in every game I play, as do the opponents, but see many of the same situations. Turn a corner, instadie.

CozMick

Banned
Just been in another server where everyone had 2 yellow bars.....how is it possible, please someone tell me.

Surely the host should be on 4 bars? :\

CozMick said:
Just been in another server where everyone had 2 yellow bars.....how is it possible, please someone tell me.

Surely the host should be on 4 bars? :\

It's not a particularly well-crafted game, so you'll be surprised how many 'Wha?!' moments occur both in the action and in the menus.

CozMick said:
Do you find Stability inferior to Kick? can't seem to find a difference...

Kick will always help you. Stability only really works when you've been ADS for a little bit, which generally isn't necessary. If you have your sights trained on a particular spot, zoom in and out about every second to keep the sway from building up - there is little to no sway when you initially zoom.

My setups

Assault
M4A1 (outstanding rifle, can compete with anything imo) w/ Red Dot, Kick
FMG9 w/ Red Dot
Bouncing Betty/Flash
Scavenger
Quickdraw
Stalker (Should be Dead Silence)

Stealth
SCAR-L w/ Suppressor, Kick (SCAR-L chosen for it's superior iron sights) or UMP45 (low recoil, seemingly better range than other SMGs) w/ Suppressor, Kick
FMG9 w/ Suppressor
Bouncing Betty or Semtex /Flash
Scavenger
Assassin
Stalker (Should be Dead Silence)

And the mother of all classes:

The Blain Train
Type 95 w/ Red Dot, Rapid Fire, 2 Attachments
FMG9 w/ Red Dot
Bouncing Betty, Flash
Sleight of Hand
Quickdraw
Steady Aim

I just got paired up with a random in Survival on Dome and it was glorious. We made it to level 30 before the Juggernauts, air support and C4 dogs cornered us. :). Soooooo much fuckibg fun. I love it more than zombies or horde mode.

Mik2121

aku:jiki said:
It's cool that you're loving the game, but I think you're being far too forgiving of the game. You are not the only person having a "lag-free" experience while everyone else has a terrible connection or whatever, you're just the only one not noticing how incredibly laggy the game is. For the record, I'm rocking 100mbit with a perfectly set-up Linksys router and every other encounter is 100% bullshit for me! Dude enters my screen and I instantly die, killcam shows him being in the room for a good second or two before firing. .
I might be a bit forgiving of the game because I'm enjoying it. And I have experienced a couple matches with lag (as I have said a bunch of times, the game's not even out yet on my region), but overall it plays just fine.

As for the 'getting through the corner and instantly dying' thing, why don't you go to Theater mode and check it out from the other guy's point of view? If he was already looking at that corner, when you enter it your weapon shows up first and they might have started shooting by then. Hell, I've done that a couple times, and with well aimed bullets, the enemy doesn't last a second.

While the game might not be running perfectly fine (I will blame a tiny bit of it to the fact that it's still the first week, and most online games suffer during the first week), I think claiming it's trash, shit, or whatever.. is going a bit too far.

Spoo

Worked my way back up to a (semi-respectable) 1.5 k/d tonight at level 51. I have to say, I'm really just enjoying the hell out of the MP here, even with its ups and downs. I had Skyrim going and was compelled to turn it off just to squeeze in a few extra matches before bed :)

I also love how in 5 iterations now, these fuck-tards can't create a spawn system that DOESN'T spawn enemies 10 feet away from each other.

Laughable.

bakeray

Matts Legacy said:
Just had a few great games with some GAF members here. Great teamwork. Loving this game!
yup. great games, feel free to add me or just hit me up via GAF for more games this weekend.

The Antitype said:
I also love how in 5 iterations now, these fuck-tards can't create a spawn system that DOESN'T spawn enemies 10 feet away from each other.

Laughable.
It's completely asinine.. it's really the only thing they've NEEDED to do and have neglected to do it.. it is truly pathetic.

darkwing

The Antitype said:

Laughable.
works great in kill confirmed

aku:jiki said:
It's cool that you're loving the game, but I think you're being far too forgiving of the game. You are not the only person having a "lag-free" experience while everyone else has a terrible connection or whatever, you're just the only one not noticing how incredibly laggy the game is. For the record, I'm rocking 100mbit with a perfectly set-up Linksys router and every other encounter is 100% bullshit for me! Dude enters my screen and I instantly die, killcam shows him being in the room for a good second or two before firing.

Turning off theatre recording does nothing. :(

It's not your connection's fault, it's the game. I also have 4 bars in every game I play, as do the opponents, but see many of the same situations. Turn a corner, instadie.

In a game where the weapons are killing faster than ever at 1 to 2 tenths of a seconds, those sometimes minor network delays can make a world of difference.; because in those small network delays lies enough time to kill you before you know it. It's not an issue of ego not letting you admit to being a bad player( for most ). Most of us here have played plenty enough fps's and are perceptive enough to recognize whether it's our skills failing us or it's something off with the game, even if we don't entirely understand what it is.

It just comes down to this, Call of Duty is a game of who has the better connection. Not saying it's the only factor, just the most important because of the nature of peer hosting and how fast these guns kill. It's about time the public demanded dedicated servers if everyone is gonna mention how unfair p2p is......... but that's never gonna happen, we keep buying the games regardless, and I'm part of the problem :(

I just put some codes in for the DewXP thing, and I don't see anywhere I can enter my PC credentials. It's asking for my 360 or PSN id.

I take it this is a console only promotion?

glaurung

I put the game into my console for the first time last night. Played some Spec Ops and a few rounds of Kill Confirmed.

The LOWEST freaking level player I saw was 43. Christ.

But the new Spec Ops is the bomb. Really liking it. And I am sure that they will add zombies at some point via DLC. Which will be good too.

The Antitype said:

Laughable.

Spawning in Black ops was actually really good after they patched it.

Ovid

vatstep said:
The air drop trap seemed like a great streak reward at first, but I think people are already wary of them. I guess it's not likely that you'd see a legit crate just sitting there untouched. It might work better in FFA, I guess.
They're even easier to spot if you have Sitrep.

snack

Do predator missiles not count towards killstreaks? I was using it tonight and it wasn't counting for me. Seems like a bug. :s

Mik2121

glaurung said:
I put the game into my console for the first time last night. Played some Spec Ops and a few rounds of Kill Confirmed.

The LOWEST freaking level player I saw was 43. Christ.

But the new Spec Ops is the bomb. Really liking it. And I am sure that they will add zombies at some point via DLC. Which will be good too.
Well, at least now you prestige when you reach level 80, so level 43 would be about a level 26-27 back in MW2.

Top Bottom