• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3 |OT| Got 99 Problems, But Sales Ain't One.

Chittagong

Gold Member
The Antitype said:
Like I said.

100/10 connection, I'm usually 4 bars. Never been lower than 3.

ensure that you don't have two NAT/DCHP routers in a row, that introduces lag. I had my Sky ADSL and a Time Capsule, both dealing out IP addresses, it introduced a significant lag and after I bridged my Time Capsule I've done much better in game

Apoc87

Banned
darkwing said:
is it bad to enjoy the game with a 0.5 k/d? yeah i really suck, i feel like i'm feeding the enemies' killstreaks lol

I'm at 0.3. I have been playing COD multi for about 4 years now (not like everyday), and I still suck at it.

I just have fun, I like to fill up bars and unlock stuff, and COD rewards you even if you aren't that good. Just have fun with it, fuck a K/D ratio.

darkwing

Apoc87 said:
I'm at 0.3. I have been playing COD multi for about 4 years now (not like everyday), and I still suck at it.

I just have fun, I like to fill up bars and unlock stuff, and COD rewards you even if you aren't that good. Just have fun with it, fuck a K/D ratio.

yeah that is why Kill Confirmed is now my favorite mode, I just run and collect dog tags lol sometimes i get in the top 3 in the score and having like a 0.5 k/d per match lol i play differently in BF3 though, methodical pacing, here I just run around like a headless chicken lol

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
junkster said:
This low health thing is eating me up. The second I go on the offensive I'm a dead duck. Not only can I not be Rambo, but people get pissed if I play defensive, AND its boring for me.

Modern Warfare 2 health/damage would be nice. In that game you could run away if you were eating a rain of fire and knew you were outmatched AND you were near cover BUT it was still a quick death if you run out in the open without a solid plan.

In this game, the second you're out of cover you're setting yourself up for a death. I think I've managed to get back into cover maybe 10 times out of hundreds.

That's why Stalker is now my go-to perk. I round every corner with ADS. I used to be a massive run-and-gunner in Black Ops, and did quite well. Here you can't really do that from what I can tell.

ultron87

Campaign mission 4:
That was an entertainingly ridiculous plane crash. I also like that there is a spec ops mission where you play that from the other side and successfully capture the President without crashing the plane.

Hyunkel6

junkster said:
Huge thumbs up to Kill Confirmed and Team Defender. They are EXCELLENT modes.
I've been playing Team Defender exclusively. Very refreshing, chaotic and it encourages people to move around a lot. What an awesome mode!

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Domination definitely does not help your KDR if you're playing to win, lol.

Jarmel said:
Wow they really punish lower levels in this game. No Type 95, no claymores or bouncing betties, and also weapon levels.

M4A1 is a beast.

Man the SP in this one is so good. You can really tell there was a shift in design from one set of people to another. I guess the input from Sledgehammer made a big difference. The level designs are so much better. I don't remember the mission but the level on the work site, so good. And the game can still kick your ass at times on Veteran but it's not mind numbing cheap hard. Easily the best of the 3 since MW1 imho, maybe even tops that when all is said and done, I guess I am about halfway through.

Just booted up on PS3 and got an update, anyone know what it does?

Fantasmo

backflip10019 said:
Neutral flag. Team who holds the flag for the longest wins. SO FUN.
I imagine a well timed stealth bomber ac130 osprey or juggernaut would make for an awesome match video.

Really disappointed that some of the modes are only available in Private Match. I really want to play Gun Game here.

Daft_Cat

Bumblebeetuna said:
Man the SP in this one is so good. You can really tell there was a shift in design from one set of people to another. I guess the input from Sledgehammer made a big difference. The level designs are so much better. I don't remember the mission but the level on the work site, so good. And the game can still kick your ass at times on Veteran but it's not mind numbing cheap hard. Easily the best of the 3 since MW1 imho, maybe even tops that when all is said and done, I guess I am about halfway through.

Just booted up on PS3 and got an update, anyone know what it does?

Seems like there's a real effort to get back to the style of MW1. I think it actually might be even better. All it needs is one nice long slow paces mission like All Ghillied Up. I know there's one similar, but it's not as atmospheric and pensive.

Really enjoyed the characters, the surprisingly cohesive story, and much improved level design.

junkster said:
Huge thumbs up to Kill Confirmed and Team Defender. They are EXCELLENT modes.

Agreed. Kill Confirmed especially.

Anyone else loving blast shield? I've survived so many exploding cars and nades because of it. (havent unlocked assassin yet)

bj00rn_ said:
Why the fuck can't I shut up the music in the SP in this game..? It's the 360 version and I tried custom music, but it still plays on top.. I'm so pissed off about this mandatory music stuff.. I just can't fathom it..
Mute your TV, plug in an ipod. Problem solved.

ilnadmy said:
So in the hour since I unlocked the Type 95, my K/D went from 0.7 to 0.9. WTF.
I was the same. Couldn't find a decent gun that worked for me until I unlocked the Type 95. I'm not usually one who favors 3-shot burst guns as well, but it's been a blast! I've definitely done waaaay better since I've unlocked it. Had my best match with it last night, 10kill killstreak (which is something for me)!

I think what's hard for me to accept is that I just am simply not GOOD at this game. In MW2, my KD was about 1.15. In Black Ops, I finished around 1.25 (prestiged twice), which I'm honestly pretty happy with. As far as I'm concerned, anything over 1.00 is good because at least then I feel like I'm benefiting my team more than I'm hurting it. People who have KDRs of 2 or ever 3 boggle my mind. I can't even aspire to that.

After 6 hours played multiplayer in this game, I'm hovering around .91. First off, I hate that these games focus so much on KDR but that's the reality. I only play TDM.

Time after time, I will make moves that I KNOW I shouldn't. I will charge into an area where I know an enemy is waiting. I don't know why. Sometimes it works, mostly it doesn't. I will inexplicably try to throw a grenade at someone after he's spotted me, which most of the time results in me getting shot before I even get the grenade out of my hand. Poor decision making on my part. The alternative, though, is that I play so cautiously that I'll go 7-4 in a game and while I'm over 1 on KDR, I'm not scoring many points.

I've been playing video games for 20 years but at age 32 maybe I'm just slowing down. Constantly getting outgunned and it just plain seems that dudes are faster than me now.

Of course I have the same issues with crappy spawns, dudes seeming to kill me with 1 bullet after I fire 10 into them, etc. But there are also times when I know I'm definitely getting killed and I know it's my own fault. So damn frustrating to know I'm doing something wrong as I do it, still do it, and end up dead.

I've also got a real problem with trying to shoot down UAVs regardless of what's going on around me. I die all the time with launcher in hand, looking up to the sky. And I know it's going to happen! And I still do it! Anyone else think it's harder to find UAVs in the sky than it has been in past games?

Fantasmo

Sir Garbageman said:
Agreed. Kill Confirmed especially.

Anyone else loving blast shield? I've survived so many exploding cars and nades because of it. (havent unlocked assassin yet)

Blast Shield is on my Javelin Class (eventually Stinger once I unlock it)

L86, Kick, Silencer (silent, low recoil, big mag, fairly fast reload, powerful, don't need Sleight of Hand)

Javelin

Blind Eye (no death from killstreak, quick lock-on if Pro version)
Blast Shield (no death from infantry explosives)
Marksman (if I survive I can also kill long range and put the large mag to use)

GQman2121

Banned
Why doesn't the UAV just stay on indefinitely? Serious question. With you only needing three kills (two with the hardline perk) or to stack three kills for support, the damn thing is on the entire time anyway, so why not just leave it on? It's clearly there to make people feel comfortable about their surroundings while they sprint around the map, but they've taken it a bit to far this year. It should be a luxury for a team to earn a UAV and not something that is just handed out because someone got 3 kills, but died ten times in between.

I shouldn't have to use a perk (assassin) to be able to stay undetected for more than 10% of a match.

So far it really does seem like the Infinity Ward influence on this game is minimal. Does anyone know exactly what Sledgehammer did and what IW did? How many people IW layed off and so on?

Its interesting, because I do think that this is a good preview of whats to come from Sledgehammer. My biggest complaint is that the IW polish doesnt seem to be there. For example the normally completely intuitive menu's and so on are actually rather clunky this time round.

Can anyone who pre-ordered from GameStop tell me if anything significant is inside the box (regular edition)? Like XP codes or anything.
I won't get mine in the mail until Saturday and really wanted to start playing tonight after work.
I'm thinking about buying a copy from Wal-Mart and then returning my unopened GameStop copy to Wal-Mart once it arrives.

Just did the tube level and it was almost as bonkers as uncharted 3's Ship or Plane level.. Said holy shit at one point.

MP is fun aswell, trying to get everyone to play the dogtags one, its alot more fun.

Fantasmo

Fleet_of_Foot said:
I've also got a real problem with trying to shoot down UAVs regardless of what's going on around me. I die all the time with launcher in hand, looking up to the sky. And I know it's going to happen! And I still do it! Anyone else think it's harder to find UAVs in the sky than it has been in past games?

Shooting down UAVs is pointless in maps with tall buildings. You simply won't find them and you will die. Use an Assassin class, keep moving, or have SAM turret as one of your killstreaks.

For your other comments

weapon you're using
playstyle that complements the weapon
killstreaks and perks that complement your playstyle

are all important things to consider before choosing a class.

Also, if you're playing with randoms against a team, remember most people don't take the game as seriously as you and don't care so much about dying which will make things that much tougher on you.

What did the 1.0.3 patch fix? I hope it didn't nerf the type 95. I have about 3 loadouts with diff setups for that gun. Then of course I have my run and gun p90 with extreme conditioning, quickdraw pro, and steady aim pro for the maps I know like a boss.

Edit: For the love of god, please don't add overgrown into any mw3 playlist.

GQman2121

Banned
junkster said:
Also, if you're playing with randoms against a team, remember most people don't take the game as seriously as you and don't care so much about dying which will make things that much tougher on you.
This would describe me. I hate fucking dying. But even more so, I hate that there is zero teamwork, which directly effects me, in that it results in me dying more.

butts

They should make UAV a really high kill streak, like 6+, and then just remove things like Assassin.

Then again I have always hated the fact that bullshit like a UAV is in Call of Duty games anyways. Hated it since CoD4 day 1. Why should I be penalized for my team's deaths.

GQman2121 said:
This would describe me. I hate fucking dying. But even more so, I hate that there is zero teamwork, which directly effects me, in that it results in me dying more.

In Killl confirmed, it's almost always best to work as a pack of hungry wolves. Too bad they all feel like running around the map like it's tdm. I pick up so many kill denies it's not funny. I'm almost always confirming the kills of others too.

Fantasmo

GQman2121 said:
Every few pages I tell people I want an east coast, non-clan, friendly, fun but slightly competitive PS3 team, and yet nobody responds.

The NeoGAF Community Forum doesn't really add me or send invites so phooey on that.

If you want to play PM me since this topic moves at a decent rate, I play on weeknights and weekends pretty often.

That goes for anyone not just GQman

butts said:
They should make UAV a really high kill streak, like 6+, and then just remove things like Assassin.

Then again I have always hated the fact that bullshit like a UAV is in Call of Duty games anyways. Hated it since CoD4 day 1. Why should I be penalized for my team's deaths.
Run counter or wear ghost.

cuevas said:

In maps where I know camping is terribly awful, I run blind eye, assassin, and dead silence. Pair that up with type 95 silenced and hybrid sights and you get my drift. There's always a counter to cod killstreaks.

butts

cuevas said:

I know. I just hate feeling the need to always use up a perk slot just to not glow on the enemies map. Its lame. I think people should rely more on awareness and skill, rather than on a dot on their map.

Fantasmo

Headsets please guys. It makes such a huge difference if we can hear each other. If you don't have one, GET ONE! :)

I don't care what you sound like, if you can aim your gun you're alright in my book. BT Headsets are around $20 at most of the chain stores at this point!

GQman2121

Banned
butts said:
I know. I just hate feeling the need to always use up a perk slot just to not glow on the enemies map. Its lame. I think people should rely more on awareness and skill, rather than on a dot on their map.
And then the game would only sell 6 million on day one and not almost 10. The game is the way it is because it is so popular. That's why shit like classic Socom will never, ever catch on ever again.

Sanic

I go to reset my password on the Elite website and it sends me my password in plaintext. Uh, not cool.

Anyway, when I go to link my account to the PC version, there are only options for 360 and PS3. What do I need to do?

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
Infernodash said:
In maps where I know camping is terribly awful, I run blind eye, assassin, and dead silence. Pair that up with type 95 silenced and hybrid sights and you get my drift. There's always a counter to cod killstreaks.

That's essentially my exact loadout, except switch out Stalker Pro for Dead Silence. I like Stalker because I've found with the Type 95 (at least in the hour since I've unlocked it) that it's very effective at allowing you patrol the outskirts of a map. On the edges of the map there are fewer paths that someone can use to flank you, so someone can come at you from the front, from behind, or from the side when you pass an alley. As such I spend a lot of time scoped in as I round corners, and Stalker allows me to do that without sacrificing mobility. Quite a few times I'll be rounding a corner with my sights up when I see three guys running at me. With my sights up I can take them all out before they can even bring their guns up. It's pretty sick.

I'm trying to figure out though if I should use silencer + sight or silencer + rapid fire on the Type 95. Its iron sights are pretty good, but I wonder how useful rapid fire is on a 3-round burst gun.

Top Bottom