• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3 |OT| Got 99 Problems, But Sales Ain't One.

bj00rn_ said:
I don't get it. You're joking right? :)

I just want the music to stop, so I can fully concentrate on the game sounds. I know the game isn't 100% realistic......., but I've actually been in the military, trained as a soldier in the real world, and I can't recall that we ran around shooting stuff listening to some annoying horn blowers on our iPods. The music doesn't add atmosphere to me, it actually removes it.

If I find an IW official... Come on, just patch the option in please!!!

Do you feel this way watching movies like Saving Private Ryan when a big Orchestral score plays along side the action?

Can someone explain my average kills? I can't.

VrsYu.jpg

Mik2121 said:
Alright GAF! Give me ideas for the 'ideal' COD stage. About what size would you guys consider acceptable?

A symmetrical map that isn't mostly composed of narrow corridors and small compartments would be nice. Even better would be if the maps didn't have only 1 or 2 viable ways of playing it.It would be awesome too if the cover in the map functioned more like cover than obstructions to the players.

ZZMitch

Full Metal Jacket said:
The consensus of the maps being horrible has killed what little left of enthusiasm I had for this game.

It is by no means a consensus though. I have seen many who like the maps and many who don't

RedAssedApe

Banned
Ninja Scooter said:
This is how I'm starting to feel. Everytime I get killed it seems to be from behind. And whenever you run up on somebody, within seconds one of his teammates will appear because everyone just runs around in circles. Makes it frustrating to try and build up kill streaks unless you camp or stalk the edges.

My thoughts as well. The spawning issues seem to be magnified by the map design. Most areas have 4 point of entry...so half the time you're spawning with a target on your ass or someone literally just around a corner.

CHEEZMO™

Obsidian fan
Full Metal Jacket said:
The consensus of the maps being horrible has killed what little left of enthusiasm I had for this game.
Pretty much.

I'd get it for the campaign but that alone isn't worth the ridiculous price COD games sell at.

RJNavarrete said:
Only two losses? What do you play? FFA?

Only play Kill confirmed. Two losses were "Out of memory 4" bug.

knitoe said:
He most likely plays with a large team which also explains his kill ratio. If the team is good, usually camping an area of the map, winning and getting a high ratio vs scrubs is a piece of cake.

Never had a problem with my k/d ratio and yes I play with a party of 4 or 6 which explains the win ratio. Plus we only play kill confirm because we hate campers and having to get tags lessens the camping, so basically yea, we don't camp.

Xamdou said:
What what guns/perks/kill streaks is everyone using?

I feel there are so many cool perks and guns that I literally can't settle on any one setup for long. I just keep switching some on and off to see how they work out.

ultim8p00

Banned
Here's what I think IW should have done with the maps. Make them symmetrical, but give the other team one or two ways to get into the enemy base besides the obvious entries where all the heat and firefights will be. Make the players always spawn at their base, and give them spawn protection when they spawn.

PROBLEMS SOLVED

Fantasmo

henhowc said:
My thoughts as well. The spawning issues seem to be magnified by the map design. Most areas have 4 point of entry...so half the time you're spawning with a target on your ass or someone literally just around a corner.
If you ask me, this is all the result of post MW2 camper fatigue. Weak explosives, no explosive restocking, mutiple entryways, long range gun on gun battles.

Helps beginners get some kills.

Weip

Neo Member
aku:jiki said:
Weip said:
2. It's fast enough
It really, really isn't. You should work on getting up to at least 5.

Well back in the days, I played a lot Counter-Strike Pro years, me and my teamates were all playing with very very low sensi. Now I'm just used to play with it.

My K/D ratio is around 1.75 playing team deathmatch only.

GQman2121

Banned
Other than locations, all of the maps feel very, very similar to me. Which is seriously getting old fast.

Something like Afghan from MW2 would be a breath of fresh air.

Smokey

So...how much of an improvement over mw2 is this? I'll be getting it for my brothers tomorrow and may grab myself a copy as well. Is there more emphasis in gunplay or just cray shit like mw2?

Kyoufu

ultim8p00 said:
Here's what I think IW should have done with the maps. Make them symmetrical, but give the other team one or two ways to get into the enemy base besides the obvious entries where all the heat and firefights will be. Make the players always spawn at their base, and give them spawn protection when they spawn.

PROBLEMS SOLVED

This isn't battlefield. Dynamic spawns are part of the COD formula.

Smokey said:
So...how much of an improvement over mw2 is this? I'll be getting it for my brothers tomorrow and may grab myself a copy as well. Is there more emphasis in gunplay or just cray shit like mw2?

More gunplay. Crazy shit like Commando/One Man Army is gone but the air support streaks are still there but easily countered if you're not a herp and derp type of player.

Not all the maps are good though.

Xamdou

Smokey said:

No commando, no last stand (actually it's a death streak now), rarely any noob tube kills, kill confirmed is awesome, weapon proficiencies, yes emphasis on gun-play, no treyarch involvement.

ZZMitch

Smokey said:

It is more of a mix of CoD 4 and MW2 I think, which is a really good thing. I have been enjoying it. You will hear different opinions from others but I would say go for it.

There have been a lot less killstreaks flying around shooting at you in my experiences so far so there has been more of an emphasis on gunplay.

Brian Fellows

Pete Carroll Owns Me
junkster said:
If you ask me, this is all the result of post MW2 camper fatigue. Weak explosives, no explosive restocking, mutiple entryways, long range gun on gun battles.

Helps beginners get some kills.

Except camping is still easy with all the clutter.

knitoe

Smokey said:
Gun play with more crazy shit streaks. The good are tubes, knife runners, random grenades and shotguns have been severely nerfed.

DR3AM

Dreams of a world where inflated review scores save studios
any news on a patch? the spawn points are so random and im getting killed from behind because of it.

Fantasmo

Brian Fellows said:
Except camping is still easy with all the clutter.
I agree with you fully. But this is what people complained about, so they changed those things. See knitoe's post above for a perfect example of an AR/submachinegun centric lover. I prefer it the old way. I didn't think MW2 had any balance issues except maybe in Domination, Sabotage, and Demolition which I didn't play. I know I'm like the only one.

Enordash

I'm not really defending the maps, but I view it like this:

Everything kinda feels like Kowloon did when that map first launched. I was confused as to where I was, which paths I should take, and which directions I should expect to see enemies from. The map was terribly frustrating initially and I swore to vote it down every chance I got. After a while though, I learned the answers to all three of my previous questions and started to enjoy the map, especially since others still seemed to have the problems I started out with. I feel like people will get used to them, stop bitching, and accept them for what they are. If there is any sense in the world, IW will hear the general outcry and start trying to calm the hissy fits in future DLC.

Enordash said:
I'm not really defending the maps, but I view it like this:

Everything kinda feels like Kowloon did when that map first launched. I was confused as to where I was, which paths I should take, and which directions I should expect to see enemies from. The map was terribly frustrating initially and I swore to vote it down every chance I got. After a while though, I learned the answers to all three of my previous questions and started to enjoy the map, especially since others still seemed to have the problems I started out with. I feel like people will get used to them, stop bitching, and accept them for what they are. If there is any sense in the world, IW will hear the general outcry and start trying to calm the hissy fits in future DLC.
why does having objective and factual concerns about map design count as "hissy fitting" and bitching and whatnot. They are valid concerns. They are factually poorly designed. Like you said, yeah you might get used to them, doesn't make them better. I am still enjoying myself but I won't lie to myself, they are bad for the most part.

Well, I'm slowly getting adjusted to the maps and while they are still far from good my biggest gripe with the game is the damn lag. I seem to have a ton more of those games (compared to MW2) where I don't have a snowball's chance in hell in head to head battles. Even if I'm camping and know where the enemy is coming from, I still get killed in a nano second... It just so frustrating when you can't kill certain players no matter what.

Enordash

-Pyromaniac- said:
why does having objective and factual concerns about map design count as "hissy fitting" and bitching and whatnot. They are valid concerns. They are factually poorly designed. Like you said, yeah you might get used to them, doesn't make them better. I am still enjoying myself but I won't lie to myself, they are bad for the most part.

Alright, fair enough. I'm sure there are actual concerns and logical critiques about the map design. I'm not at all trying to be a jerk or sarcastic here: what facts are you considering that categorize the maps as poorly designed? I'm not trying to imply that they aren't in fact poorly designed; I just want to know the basis for it. I certainly have my opinions on the maps in the COD world (Crash being my favorite) but I've always felt it came down to just that: opinion.

Full Metal Jacket said:

Me too, until I actually bought the game.
The maps are fine, way better than Blops & in the middle between MW1 & MW2.

The maps are NOT TINY like people have been saying.

They are equal to the medium maps from MW1.

So far the game is great.

Brian Fellows

Pete Carroll Owns Me
junkster said:
I agree with you fully. But this is what people complained about, so they changed those things. See knitoe's post above for a perfect example of an AR/submachinegun centric lover. I prefer it the old way. I didn't think MW2 had any balance issues except maybe in Domination, Sabotage, and Demolition which I didn't play. I know I'm like the only one.

Yeah I only played TDM and S&D so I didn't many of the complaints that others did about MW2 and I loved ithe maps.

ZZMitch

Brian Fellows said:
Yeah I only played TDM and S&D so I didn't many of the complaints that others did about MW2 and I loved ithe maps.

Same here, I haven't really played any other gametype (except Kill Confirmed).

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Wait, people are letting OTHER people's bitching bring their enjoyment of the game down?

Wat?

Also, after last night I think sometimes I have more fun playing alone. Some guys I play with rage so much it inevitably makes me rage since I can't hear the game and their "enthusiasm" gets me going.

COD is my relax game, ffs. The only time I get heated at this game is when others I'm playing with start in on that shit.

Now Gears and Halo, those games I don't need any assistance going rage mode.

Kyoufu

PalaceBrother said:
I've defended the maps so far but I did just have a pretty frustrating match on Fallen. We were basically spawn trapped at C DOM and took a while to break out of it. First time I'd seen that happen in this game.

Fallen is shit, especially in Domination.

Enordash said:
Alright, fair enough. I'm sure there are actual concerns and logical critiques about the map design. I'm not at all trying to be a jerk or sarcastic here: what facts are you considering that categorize the maps as poorly designed? I'm not trying to imply that they aren't in fact poorly designed; I just want to know the basis for it. I certainly have my opinions on the maps in the COD world (Crash being my favorite) but I've always felt it came down to just that: opinion.
the simple fact that there are more directions than one person can cover. In TDM it might not seem like a big deal. But take search and destroy for instance, you could go 10 games without a single person planting a single bomb in a whole entire game. And I hardly blame anyone. You're open from too many places than you can cover so what are you gonna do, either work the perimeter or camp, or pray for the best. The maps shouldn't be like that.

Chittagong

Gold Member
How come there is almost zero coverage of the disaster that is Call of Duty Elite? Is it a forbidden subject?

Given the high profile of MW3 launch and the hype for Elite, it's a failure of Mobile Me proportions at the very minimum.

As of three days after launch it still does not work at all. I have maybe managed to log in twice, and I've probably tried a hundred times (I've got the premium version).

I'm confident they will right this with free time and all and it will be worth it, but it is truly baffling to me how they can have failed so hard - bringing more capacity online does not take 3 days, just call Amazon. Nope, I fear there's something broken in their service other than too few servers.

eek5

ultim8p00 said:

PROBLEMS SOLVED
No way. That just leads to spawn camping regardless of what protection there is. The majority of my spawns have been good. Sometimes players get in a position where the spawn system will place them in a bad spot but this doesn't happen that often; it is just annoying when it does.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Chittagong said:
How come there is almost zero coverage of the disaster that is Call of Duty Elite? Is it a forbidden subject?

Given the high profile of MW3 launch and the hype for Elite, it's a failure of Mobile Me proportions at the very minimum.

As of three days after launch it still does not work at all. I have maybe managed to log in twice, and I've probably tried a hundred times (I've got the premium version).

I'm confident they will right this with free time and all and it will be worth it, but it is truly baffling to me how they can have failed so hard - bringing more capacity online does not take 3 days, just call Amazon. Nope, I fear there's something broken in their service other than too few servers.

It's probably just servers, it's also still in beta.

Patience is a virtue.

Sethos

Banned
I'm slowly coming to the realization that this game isn't for me anymore. They took away all the fun from the only mode I ever played, Hardcore Search & Destroy. The maps have destroyed any and every shred of tactical play - There's no slowly moving up, no hiding, no setting up equipment tactically anymore. It has just turned into a big fucking clusterfuck of people rushing around because the maps are just big ass smooth corridors where you are forced to keep moving constantly.

Couple that with the pants-on-head retarded decision of making crouched movement loud as shit and the perk to stop that doesn't unlock before level 55! Are they trying to be fucking obtuse here? Are they so set on catering for the screaming 14 year old "OMG UR CAMP!" segment that they have to ruin every other game-mode?

Fuck.

CHEEZMO™ said:
Pretty much.

I'd get it for the campaign but that alone isn't worth the ridiculous price COD games sell at.
What about spec-ops survival mode? For me that alone has justified dropping 60$ at launch, SP and competitive MP are just bonuses at this point.

snap0212

Decarb said:
What about spec-ops survival mode? For me that alone has justified dropping 60$ at launch, SP and competitive MP are just bonuses at this point.
Survival is so much fun! You can't play with other though, can you?

edit: Is there actually a meet-up Thread for PS3 players somewhere? used the search but it didn't find anything. :/

CHEEZMO™

Obsidian fan
Decarb said:
Ahhh, I forgot all about Spec Ops.

Might have to rethink, lol.

Top Bottom