• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3 |OT| Got 99 Problems, But Sales Ain't One.

Brian Fellows

Pete Carroll Owns Me
darkwing said:
hmm I think the patch might have broken something, frequent host migration thingy or maybe just the weekend jam

Seemed to make things way better for me. Went from 5 or 6 minute waits to get into a match to 30 seconds....that is for a 4 person party BTW.

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.
I've gotta say, after spending some more time with the multiplayer, I'm really loving it.

- The decreased health doesn't really bother me. I don't even think I would've noticed had I not read about it on GAF.
- I don't really mind the maps, although I agree with most that they're not as good as past games. I've always preferred small, tight maps, so I'm feeling at home with many of them. I can understand why many don't like them, though — they are definitely different than most others in the series. Can't say that I specifically hate any at this point, but I love Dome (yes, I also loved Nuketown, Rust, etc.), Arkaden and Underground. The rest I haven't had enough time with to form a final opinion. It's more difficult to learn maps in a game with 16 of them compared to one that has, like, nine.
- Kill Confirmed is AWESOME and is probably my preferred playlist now. When I initially saw the gameplay videos of it, I didn't think much of it, but it really works well when you play it for yourself. It reminds me of Headhunter in Halo, but less infuriating because you don't have to cash your tags into a moving zone. Team Defender is also fun and extremely chaotic.
- I'm loving the strike packages and pointstreak rewards. It's more difficult to cause mass destruction than it was in MW2, but that's really for the best. The support packages are great because they enable even average players to help their teams.
- I much prefer the unlock system here than the one in Black Ops. Also glad that titles/emblems and their unique challenges are back as well.
- The menus, in-game HUD, and overall presentation are much sleeker than Black Ops.

One thing that is annoying is the fact that IW seems intent on ignoring much of the good stuff that Treyarch added in Black Ops. Stuff like:

- combat training
- advanced matchmaking search options
- score per minute leaderboards/rankings
- additional stats on objective scoreboards (captures, defends, etc.)
- dive to prone
- contracts (they have daily/weekly challenges, but I liked the way these worked)

Casual gamers (who don't realize that CoD games aren't made by the same developer every year) surely must find some of this odd. Will all of the above stuff be back next year? None of it is really game-breaking, it's just interesting.

Jay-B said:
Hated them. Now I just need to mute everyone and can forget that I'm playing with 10 year olds/douches with moronic emblems.

the new emblems look like shit. Crappy artwork with a dumb phrase written in a generic font? They look like they were made by 10 year olds. Might as well just let people make their own.

Dabanton

Does anyone know if the alternate game modes like Infected and Team Juggernaut will be put in normal online rotation without having to create a private match?

Dabanton

Detox said:
The Guardian has it down as 6.5m day one sales but they could be wrong.

Activison put out an official press release a couple of hours ago saying 6.5 just in the US and UK god knows how many it will be will they tally the rest up

LifEndz

Game runs so much smoother (PS3) since the last two patches. Just wish they had an auto-mute option so I didn't have to hear people screaming when I enter a lobby.

Kyoufu

Dabanton said:
Cool video wish he didn't keep going on about 'raping' though.

Welcome to online gaming lingo.

I'm close to taking a break from this game. The maps suck ass and Domination sucks more ass.

They need to remove it from Ground War...

sleepykyo

Count me in the worse after patch on the ps3 side . First time seeing an universally yellow room. Host migration and general lag went up significantly.

Xux

Lovin' this game so far. Such a great set of guns and maps. Pretty much every addition to the game they've made is awesome.

Kyoufu said:
Welcome to online gaming lingo.

I'm close to taking a break from this game. The maps suck ass and Domination sucks more ass.

They need to remove it from Ground War...

There's a million other terms one can use instead of 'raping' over and over, especially when you're sharing wit the world, and you have even a hint of a semblance of class.

Xux said:
Lovin' this game so far. Such a great set of guns and maps. Pretty much every addition to the game they've made is awesome.
Maps I don't agree with but everything else is true, it's so balanced too(except assassin, but there's at least two counters to it)

Xux

madmaxx350 said:
Maps I don't agree with but everything else is true, it's so balanced too(except assassin, but there's at least two counters to it)
To be completely honest, I've been wracking my brain trying to think of a map I'd call "good" as opposed to just "okay" in the past five COD games. None of them in this game really stands out as "bad" like Estate, Rundown, or Havana do, though.

FallingEdge said:
I really liked Blops and I really like MW3. I do wish they bring back diving and custom emblems though.

Couldnt agree more. My main complaint is lack of HC Free For All. Other than that I really have no complaints.

Enosh

Jrmint said:
Lol yea I tried shooting it down once with the starting launcher and got killed 3 times in a row in the process. Stayed inside ever since :).
never ever make an anti air class that doesn't include blind eye
it's a waste of a life, you need to stand in the open to shoot at shit, when you are in the open shit shoots back

and I don't get the hate for the maps
well I kinda get it, I hated most of them at the beginning too, but after some time in them, learning the spawns, popular routes and spots, places from where you can get flanked etc I don't have any special complaints anymore
well, there aren't any big maps ala wasteland, but come on, that was a map with 8 people in that center thingy and 4 snipers around the map, always hated it when it came up
in general the maps here kinda remind me of invasion and skidrow from MW2, which were among my favorites

oh and all the buildings and cover mean that air support doesn't have free reign upon you anymore even if you don't have blind eye on, there is almost always something I can put between me and the shit in the air so it can't shoot me

Enordash

-Pyromaniac- said:
the simple fact that there are more directions than one person can cover. In TDM it might not seem like a big deal. But take search and destroy for instance, you could go 10 games without a single person planting a single bomb in a whole entire game. And I hardly blame anyone. You're open from too many places than you can cover so what are you gonna do, either work the perimeter or camp, or pray for the best. The maps shouldn't be like that.

I'm not saying that you don't have a valid point there, but I can't accept that as an end all criteria for every map. It seems like you are suggesting that teamwork is now necessary where before you could just lone wolf it at all times. Another question that needs to be answered is this: Would you rather have realistic locations or locations tailored to an easier experience online? Like I said, I don't love any of the maps. I'm just not ready to start hating on them yet.

purg3

slept with Malkin
is the founder status stuff working yet. I had the hardened edition, used the elite membership token through xbl and created an elite account. Has anyone got this to work yet?

LowParry

Nearing my first prestige. Guns I've enjoyed using:

SCAR
G36
PP90

That PP90 vid is awesome. I didn't know that the range corrects the silencer's range which is great. I always had it off with rapid fire on so that I could fire from the hip from further distances. Very cool. Love the MP and the Spec Ops is a lot of fun to. I'll eventually get to the SP. Some day.

The only real disappointing thing about most of these maps is the fact that there seems to be a lack of verticality and the settings doesn't seem NEARLY as varied as the previous MW games.

MercuryLS

Banned
Nome said:
Out of curiosity, are you a PC or console player?

Because it seems to me that most PC players think Blops > MW3, and most console players think MW3 > Blops.

Console player, PS3 specifically. Maybe that would explain why I have such a poor opinion of Treyarch games. It's not like the IW MW games are perfect on PS3, but they hold up pretty well compared to X360/PC.

MercuryLS

Banned
Is PS3 online still broken with the terrible lag? I think I'm going to take a break from it until they fix this shit.

MGS HD Collection should do nicely in the interim.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
So render is working for me now. Currently rendering a clip of me missing with a locked on javelin on a recon drone but still nailing some poor sap on the ground.

Question is, will it render to Youtube too.

@FourZeroTwo said:
Modern Warfare 3 players on PS3 should have noticed an update today. Should address any "Out of Memory 14" errors you may have seen. #MW3

We have several other #MW3 updates we're currently preparing, including SD video uploads, general matchmaking & connectivity improvements.

vilmer_

Alienshogun said:
So render is working for me now. Currently rendering a clip of me missing with a locked on javelin on a recon drone but still nailing some poor sap on the ground.

Question is, will it render to Youtube too.

I haven't been able to link my Elite account to youtube yet. I keep trying though :lol

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
vilmer_ said:
I haven't been able to link my Elite account to youtube yet. I keep trying though :lol

I haven't either, but my account was linked in blackops.

Not sure where this is going to go once rendered, perhaps just to the elite page.

test_account

XP-39C²
Have anyone noticed any differences in preformance in turning off the recording option? I havnt noticed anything yet, but just wondering. And damn, when i turned it off, i got a really cool throwing knife kill (just threw it in one direction without seeing any enemies, then i got a kill) hehe :(

I also really like the strike packages. Nice to have killstreaks that doesnt reset on death.

Top Bottom