• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3 |OT| Got 99 Problems, But Sales Ain't One.

Mik2121

NinjaFridge said:
And you keep responding to him. If his posts annoy you so much just block him.
Just checked right now this and the last page (100ppp) and he posted 9 times (all of them bashing the game or trying to be witty) and I only replied to him twice including this last one.

And both times telling him we already know but there's nothing to do about it, and really... if you hate a game this much, why the hell do you keep playing it and posting on it's OT?

Oh well... :p

Also his posts don't annoy me, I just find it meaningless to post stuff like that, and kinda trying to look for the bad kind of discussion. I don't block him because I don't like blocking people.

computers putin' said:
they're both kinda annoying.
I'm sorry if I was annoying. I have been helping out people most of the time, as I said only twice I posted talking to him. But I will stop it, sorry.

darkwing

The Antitype said:
The connection is fine.

I'm try to understand why people are able to kill quickly, when at 4 bars with an amazing connection, I can empty clips into people for hours.

And I'll vent frustration where-ever the fuck I please, thanks. :)

How do you ignore people, btw?
well, I have 1/2 bars and I still enjoy the game

N

NinjaFridge

Unconfirmed Member
Mik2121 said:
Just checked right now this and the last page (100ppp) and he posted 9 times (all of them bashing the game or trying to be witty) and I only replied to him twice including this last one.

And both times telling him we already know but there's nothing to do about it, and really... if you hate a game this much, why the hell do you keep playing it and posting on it's OT?

Oh well... :p

Also his posts don't annoy me, I just find it meaningless to post stuff like that, and kinda trying to look for the bad kind of discussion. I don't block him because I don't like blocking people.

I'm sorry if I was annoying. I have been helping out people most of the time, as I said only twice I posted talking to him. But I will stop it, sorry.

Perhaps he wants to like the game he paid for? Maybe he wants it to work they way its supposed to. He has just as much right to post here as anyone else, and while i agree it is annoying he isn't going off topic.

these maps are so awkward and tdm is horrible because of it. you need objectives to direct the action more than ever since none of the maps don't have any major area's where the action is focused at; It's all sporadic encounters in tiny rooms or long corridors. With objectives at least there is something to direct the action since the maps themselves fail to do so.

I feel like I've played enough of the game to now have a concrete opinion on the game, its okay. It's just giving me that "bleh" feeling that Black Ops did.

Personally, I think people look for excuses in games like this, and COD just happens to provide the perfect excuse to point towards when the game is new to you and you're not doing as well as you think you should. The kill cam is wrong!!!!!!

Very few other online shooters will even show you a killcam, so the very nature of internet lag is left behind the red curtain, never to be seen by the unknowing public. The fact of the matter is every time there is a new COD game released some people are going to complain about lag, lag, and more lag. They're going to complain about the killcam not showing what actually happened, and how people with "better connections" are winning.

There is always going to be some delay between what you see on your screen and what your opponents are seeing. This is the nature of online gaming, particularly on peer 2 peer connections. So when the killcam shows you something slightly different than you saw on your screen, that is really not weird, at all.

I'm not going to call anyone a liar, but I've put over 12 hours into this game online now, and I have yet to "empty half a clip into someone, only to be killed by them". Maybe I'm just super duper lucky, but it hasn't happened. Almost all of the time the killcam shows me exactly what I expect it to show me. What I saw, but with a slight delay.

When I hit someone hard, but they kill me anyway, the killcams I've watched have always showed them being hit hard, but barely surviving. I've begun watching more of them since noticing the rampant complaints in this thread.

I've long accepted all of the above, especially since I've been playing COD games online heavily since COD4. I no longer look for excuses to blame my performances on. I just play, and let the chips fall where they do. Of course I'm adjusting to learning new maps just like everyone else, and these maps are more busy than any previous COD maps, but I've accepted that is the choice IW made with this game. They wanted a more active map style. With that said, I've still found my old tactics work on many of these maps. Control the power points for maximum damage.

Anyway, that's just my 2 cents. When I get killed I accept the fact that 99.5% of the time it was just how things played out. The instances where I think of the word "lag" while playing are very rare.

fyi, I only play TDM and it's variants. One last note. Whenever I'm searching for a match alone, I always back out if it doesn't find me a match in the 50ms search. With that said, I've still played in 75ms matches and not noticed anything really different, but I just prefer to try and keep myself in those 50ms matches when possible.

JB1981

computers putin' said:
these maps are so awkward and tdm is horrible because of it. you need objectives to direct the action more than ever since none of the maps don't have any major area's where the action is focused at; It's all sporadic encounters in tiny rooms or long corridors. With objectives at least there is something to direct the action since the maps themselves fail to do so.

I feel like I've played enough of the game to now have a concrete opinion on the game, its okay. It's just giving me that "bleh" feeling that Black Ops did.
Spot on - this is why I have bee playing team defender lately

Zabka

There's gotta be some kind of lag compensation / equalizing going on in this game because there shouldn't be such a huge discrepancy in sub 50/75 ms ping games.

Fake edit: From googling lag compensation and Modern Warfare 3 I see there's a whole lot of people complaining about it on the COD forums.

DRE Fei

BruiserBear said:
Whenever I'm searching for a match alone, I always back out if it doesn't find me a match in the 50ms search.
This is mainly what I've been doing since mw2. I also disabled theater mode and it all helps.

I don't know how others feel about this, but I really really miss the old ACOG from the first Modern Warfare. I much prefer the scope taking up the entire screen rather than it is now where it looks like you're eyeball is a good foot behind the scope. Was this view type problematic for most people? I guess I'm just wondering what caused the developers to change it?

Rice-Eater said:
I don't know how others feel about this, but I really really miss the old ACOG from the first Modern Warfare. I much prefer the scope taking up the entire screen rather than it is now where it looks like you're eyeball is a good foot behind the scope. Was this view type problematic for most people? I guess I'm just wondering what caused the developers to change it?

I am thrilled with this change, as i found ACOG's very unappealing precisely because of what you just said. They took up far too much of the screen. I need some peripheral vision, and the old way didn't provide any.

SteveWD40

BruiserBear said:
I am thrilled with this change, as i found ACOG's very unappealing precisely because of what you just said. They took up far too much of the screen. I need some peripheral vision, and the old way didn't provide any.

Same, I think MOH was the first of the recent crop to make ACOG's more usable this way, much prefer it as I too like having my peripheral.

The Antitype said:
The connection is fine.

I'm try to understand why people are able to kill quickly, when at 4 bars with an amazing connection, I can empty clips into people for hours.

And I'll vent frustration where-ever the fuck I please, thanks. :)

How do you ignore people, btw?

I'm personally not sure, but you are the sole reason many people probably now do.

def sim

After some time playing, I say Carbon and Interchange are the worst maps in the game. Small maps disguising themselves as big, is the new IW nearly incapable of making huge spaces without throwing in every obstacle/cover they could find? At least Fallen and Underground make up for all the awfulness. I think these two are legitimately good maps that I can enjoy in all game types. Good amount of cover but not so much that it feels cramped; these make them feel considerably bigger than they appear.

I can't decide if Hardhat is crap or good times.

Anyway, there are enough good maps to make me alright about buying DLC. Whether they are good or not will decide if I keep playing this game or give BLOPS another go. I'd really hate to get more of the same dense nonsense fake IW is pushing on us.

Meadows

Banned
I think that the maps on this game are the worst of all of the MWs but that probably says more about the quality of the past games than it does about MW3. Interchange is my least favourite map, it's way too hard to check your corners and think tactically about your movement because it just boils down to a test of reaction speed (I.E. people with SMGs always kill you because they have a slightly faster reaction time on the trigger).

My favourite is probably Hard Hat, it seems like a classic already.

Oh, and I don't like the holographic sights on MW3, the crosshairs seem to block my view making getting kills harder.

I still get 502 errors when attempting to login to Elite.

How many times did they gloat about the pre-orders? What about all those times when they underlined the fact COD games usually break the biggest entertainment launch of all time record? And they still can't prepare for a massive influx of users? Ridiculous.

Maybe I'm naive, but can anyone explain it?

Mik2121

Kyoufu said:
Very close to giving Elite the middle finger. It just refuses to connect for me. I can't even login on the site.
Try going here:

https://elite.callofduty.com/connect

The CONNECT category where you can enter groups and the like. This page works for me now, but the CAREER one doesn't.

Kermit The Dog said:
I still get 502 errors when attempting to login to Elite.

How many times did they gloat about the pre-orders? What about all those times when they underlined the fact COD games usually break the biggest entertainment launch of all time record? And they still can't prepare for a massive influx of users? Ridiculous.

Maybe I'm naive, but can anyone explain it?
Most likely... the servers cost quite a bit of money, so they assumed sales similar to MW2 and perhaps thought about half of that people, maybe less, would bother visit Elite during the first few days. Probably the developers expected more, but they're not the people that put the money out, so I guess the people over at Activision (guess they're the ones giving the money) just went with a more 'safe' guess, and it ended up being too low.

That's my guess, anyway.

Rice-Eater said:

If you want it like the old acog, use the hybrid sight and hammer scope.

Sethos

Banned
I sincerely hope they will saturate the game with some of the older maps from MW1 & 2, also some bigger, more tactical maps based on the "feedback" ( read: complaints ) of the current set.

Raide

Foxy Fox 39 said:
I would be incredibly wary of buying maps from these guys. I'll definitely watch some videos before plunking down 15 for em.

The first few will be MW2/CoD4 remakes to sate the fans. Then they will be busting out more camp arenas.

Mik2121

Foxy Fox 39 said:
I would be incredibly wary of buying maps from these guys. I'll definitely watch some videos before plunking down 15 for em.
I buy the maps mostly to go through them in theater mode and take snaps of every corner, see how they model out the stuff and all that (I'm a 3D artist), but yeah, otherwise I would think twice about buying MW3 maps before seeing some videos first.

Hopefully they hear all the complains and we get some more slightly streamlined maps. Though I don't think the current ones are as bad as some people make them sound.

BTW I hope they do like the MW1 maps in MW2, where they changed lighting and other stuff to make them look better. Imagine a night-time Highrise with lots of lightspots illuminating the area. Or perhaps rain (or right after the rain) setting, with the flooring reflecting part of the sky here and there. It would be very neat :p

What were the other maps that shown up on those files?

Sethos

Banned
Found this comment, I love the game but it's funny :p

"Why do people hate CoD. It's really green! It's made of 100% recycled materials!"

Kyoufu

Mik2121 said:
Try going here:

https://elite.callofduty.com/connect

The CONNECT category where you can enter groups and the like. This page works for me now, but the CAREER one doesn't.

This is what I got when I clicked that url :p

503 service error blah blah

I don't know why they can't get this working. Sure, millions of people try to access it but that is no excuse by now, considering they even upgraded servers.

Mik2121 said:
I buy the maps mostly to go through them in theater mode and take snaps of every corner, see how they model out the stuff and all that (I'm a 3D artist), but yeah, otherwise I would think twice about buying MW3 maps before seeing some videos first.

Hopefully they hear all the complains and we get some more slightly streamlined maps. Though I don't think the current ones are as bad as some people make them sound.

BTW I hope they do like the MW1 maps in MW2, where they changed lighting and other stuff to make them look better. Imagine a night-time Highrise with lots of lightspots illuminating the area. Or perhaps rain (or right after the rain) setting, with the flooring reflecting part of the sky here and there. It would be very neat :p

They technically are ok maps. Its just that every map is the same. There's no variety. Every map is made for cluttered close quartered combat/mid range (barely).

If you took the maps and separated them it would be fine, but with all of these together it makes for one of the worst maps sets in COD history. Like I said, I can't imagine a sniper having fun with these maps.

Mik2121

Kyoufu said:
This is what I got when I clicked that url :p

503 service error blah blah
Uhm... saw the image before you edited. Yeah, Elite is still kinda (totally?) dead. I'd give it a few more days before giving up.

Foxy Fox 39 said:
They technically are ok maps. Its just that every map is the same. There's no variety. Every map is made for cluttered close quartered combat/mid range (barely).

If you took the maps and separated them it would be fine, but with all of these together it makes for one of the worst maps sets in COD history. Like I said, I can't imagine a sniper having fun with these maps.
Too much close quarters indeed. I'm not a big fan of close encounters but I don't like snipers either :p Out of the current map pack, the one I like the most right now is probably Mission, or that one based on Paris.

Raide said:
The first few will be MW2/CoD4 remakes to sate the fans. Then they will be busting out more camp arenas.

How are these maps camp arenas. Nearly all of them have 3 or 4 differnt angles to enter the "camp" spots for a flank.
Foxy Fox 39 said:

Depends on the map. Fallen has variety, resistance has a lot of long hallways, lockdown has both, and seatown has the corner house. It's just that now snipers have to be more ready to switch to their secondary.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Here's the link again for the NeoGAF group.

https://elite.callofduty.com/connect/group/view/18904

Mik2121 said:
This is how the clan page looks, btw:

http://i.imgur.com/IcAUK.png

Is that PS3, 360? What?

Also, why is it just "GAF." why not NeoGAF?

aristotle said:
You're late. I made a neogaf group a few days ago. I even posted it here. Figures it gets lost in all the anger comments.

https://elite.callofduty.com/connect/group/view/1725

In fact, I get a 404 every time I click your link.

That links to a columbus group, and only has 11 members. Mine has 20 members and actually says NeoGAF

Mik2121 said:
This is how the clan page looks, btw:

http://i.imgur.com/IcAUK.png

Which console is that clan for? You can only have 100 members per clan, so we need to have one for each console.

Also, why does it just say GAF? Can't you make it NeoGAF?

Raide

TestOfTide said:
How are these maps camp arenas. Nearly all of them have 3 or 4 differnt angles to enter the "camp" spots for a flank.

Despite most of the maps having angles all over the place, they also have huge amounts of clutter where people can hide behind. For all those people Sandy Ravage sprinting around the maps, there are lots of players who like to sneak around and shoot headless chickens.

Also, is it me or is the vast majority of early footage from Kill Confirmed? It seems like most of the maps suit that gameplay style. I have hardly seen any of the other objective stuff.

Mik2121

Alienshogun said:
Here's the link again for the NeoGAF group.

https://elite.callofduty.com/connect/group/view/18904

Is that PS3, 360? What?

Also, why is it just "GAF." why not NeoGAF?

That links to a columbus group, and only has 11 members. Mine has 20 members and actually says NeoGAF

Which console is that clan for? You can only have 100 members per clan, so we need to have one for each console.

Also, why does it just say GAF? Can't you make it NeoGAF?
I actually created it just to test. I won't use it, so I already deleted it. I guess it could be called NeoGAF as well.

BTW for some reason your link always takes me to a 404 page. I will try leaving the current GAF group and searching for NeoGAF? What's your group's name? The other link goes to the #NEOGAF group, btw. It says NEOGAF right there at the top.

EDIT: Uhm.. I tried leaving the group and then searching for "neogaf" again and it takes me to the same group. I'm on PS3 btw. Are groups also divided by consoles? Would be so weird though...

Detox

The maps feel like they started out with a small box and then just filled it out with buildings. For the first time I'm really disappointed with the map design in a COD game (didn't play 3). There doesn't seem to be any kind of flow to the maps. I mainly play domination and most of the flags are almost always set out in a straight line, they should have realised this is because of the maps which are too small to have flags that are laid out in a triangle fashion which usually means there is ample flanking spots. Right now even if my team has one flag and B the enemy team spawns so close to B that we can't push them in their own spawn. It feels like they spawn all over the map just because there is not enough space.

I mainly use the AR's and although I haven't unlocked the Type 95 yet the maps rarely offer an opportunity for medium range combat. For me COD has always been a run and gun game but most of my kills were at medium distance. Now I rarely get that opportunity, the maps are just tight corners and corridors.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Mik2121 said:
I actually created it just to test. I won't use it, so I already deleted it. I guess it could be called NeoGAF as well.

BTW for some reason your link always takes me to a 404 page. I will try leaving the current GAF group and searching for NeoGAF? What's your group's name? The other link goes to the #NEOGAF group, btw. It says NEOGAF right there at the top.

EDIT: Uhm.. I tried leaving the group and then searching for "neogaf" again and it takes me to the same group. I'm on PS3 btw. Are groups also divided by consoles? Would be so weird though...

If it's a 404 page just refresh until it pops up. It's probably just elite taking a shit again. Like I said, 20 people have joined using that link.

My group's name IS NEOGAF, if you're in that one, and there's 20 people in it, you're in the right one.

LowParry

CHEEZMO™ said:
Fucking great.

What kind of retard puts massive spoilers in the title of a youtube video?

-_-

I've already been spoiled by one big spoiler...fuck. SP is still one hell of a ride. Batman someone already ruined the end for me and one of the big twists about it. I just don't even care about the game anymore.

As for MP, I continue to have lots of great and fun games. Been playing a lot more of Kill Confirmed. This is probably my first COD game where I don't have just one favorite weapon to use. Lately I just picked up the Type 95. I don't normally go with the burst type weapons but this one sure is hella fun to use. Adding in the Marksmen perk to go with makes it even sweeter.

belier

The Antitype said:
I vehemently hate this line of logic.

You are glossing over the fact that the game is outright LYING to you. Events either happened as you saw them, or they happened as the kill-cam displayed them.

Either you really DID fill that guy with 10 bullets only for him to kill you with a few of his own, or you really DID not even get your gun up by the time he put 10 shots into you.

There is NO WAY to play a game when what you are seeing and reacting to on screen at any given time isn't reliable. You may as well play the fucking thing blind-folded.

I was reaching a door. I suspected that an enemy was doing the same on the other side. Saw him. As a present of my friendship, I offered him the content of a cartridge of my shotgun. He, polite as he was, stroked my neck with his knife.
Obviously, I died.
On killcam, I never shot.
What KC shows is what host has seen, no more, no less.
What annoys me more of the face to face, is seeing on the killcam that I never hit the enemy the way I do during game. And the sensation of dying with one shot and the realizing that I was hit by a storm of bullets.

Mik2121 said:
Too much close quarters indeed. I'm not a big fan of close encounters but I don't like snipers either :p Out of the current map pack, the one I like the most right now is probably Mission, or that one based on Paris.

I'd like some maps with some head on mid-to long range firefights; put people's accuracy to the test and leave the corner twitch shooting alone, I've had my fill of that already.

When I'm host I dominate, don't even have to try.
The lag in this game is almost as bad or as bad as BLOPS, it even has the input lag that BLOPS had when you lag. If throwing a nade or going into the menu has any bit of lag, you're screwed. Get out. Get the hell out of there.
Why is this IP going backwards? Why. How is that possible?

Mik2121

Alienshogun said:
If it's a 404 page just refresh until it pops up. It's probably just elite taking a shit again. Like I said, 20 people have joined using that link.

My group's name IS NEOGAF, if you're in that one, and there's 20 people in it, you're in the right one.
I use the 'search' tool and type neogaf, it doesn't even display multiple options, it just takes me to the NEOGAF group with 12 people:

VectorRaven
w00tmanUK
stevescott20
xinoart
Mik2121
DarkFlow
theHakku
Xater
ArmchairSoldier
SK_003
hamchan1
slunked2zero

And that group has been around since a few days ago, btw.

And no, your link gives me a 404 error as in, there's nothing there. The Elite page shows up nicely, with the dark background and the menus on the left, and in the middle the 'joke' stats about the 404.

I will just assume that all 360 and PS3 content is separated which means all groups are also unique for each platform. That's so stupid though.. I can understand for clans, but groups and the like? :( I guess it's so you can make sure you can play with anyone else from your group.

Raide said:
Despite most of the maps having angles all over the place, they also have huge amounts of clutter where people can hide behind. For all those people Sandy Ravage sprinting around the maps, there are lots of players who like to sneak around and shoot headless chickens.

That's good. There's oppurtunity for me to rush n flank with a usas or pm9 (even in the more "campy" modes like s&d and demo) as well as oppurtunities for others to go a little more defensive with an MSR or MG36. And luckily these maps are more variety friendly than stuff like hazard and nuketown (where rushing doesn't work)

Rice-Eater said:

I loved the old ACOG in MW1, especially in M16. I was really disappointed when they changed the ACOC scopes in MW2 and never really got comfortable with those. I don't know, I just couldn't aim precisely with those and they made the recoil feel much worse.

hamchan

Yeah PS3 guy here, I can't see Alienshogun's group, but I can see aristotle's. If they really did seperate PS3 and 360 it wouldn't surprise me but it would be damn stupid.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Mik2121 said:
I use the 'search' tool and type neogaf, it doesn't even display multiple options, it just takes me to the NEOGAF group with 12 people:

VectorRaven
w00tmanUK
stevescott20
xinoart
Mik2121
DarkFlow
theHakku
Xater
ArmchairSoldier
SK_003
hamchan1
slunked2zero

And that group has been around since a few days ago, btw.

And no, your link gives me a 404 error as in, there's nothing there. The Elite page shows up nicely, with the dark background and the menus on the left, and in the middle the 'joke' stats about the 404.

I will just assume that all 360 and PS3 content is separated which means all groups are also unique for each platform. That's so stupid though.. I can understand for clans, but groups and the like? :( I guess it's so you can make sure you can play with anyone else from your group.

That's odd, people are having it work for them, at least 22 people found it easily.
I would say that 12 person group should just join the 22 person group, less of a hassle that way.

(25 people now btw) Here's the link again. https://elite.callofduty.com/connect/group/view/18904

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
hamchan said:
Yeah PS3 guy here, I can't see Alienshogun's group, but I can see aristotle's. If they really did seperate PS3 and 360 it wouldn't surprise me but it would be damn stupid.

That would be weird since you should be able to see it from we based access.

Also, groups are for anything, even countries, so that makes even less sense.

So in the single player are there an really frustrating moments on veteran ala the end of the Chernobyl mission in COD4? I am on my second play through on veteran and this is by far the easiest one I have played so far.

Mik2121

Alienshogun said:
That's odd, people are having it work for them, at least 22 people found it easily.
I would say that 12 person group should just join the 22 person group, less of a hassle that way.
No no, maybe I didn't explain myself correctly.

Your group doesn't EXIST. It's not there. No matter how you try to search for it, it's just not there. At least, that is, not for us PS3 users. Or in other words, it's only there for the 360 users.

For us on the PS3 the only group that exists is the other one, so when we post the group link, we should post both for PS3 and 360 users (imo it should be edited into the OP, besides the community thread).

R2D4

Banned
Does anyone else have the problem were the game will pause for up to a second while playing MP? It happens maybe 1 out of 10 matches. It will just turn into a slide show. I can't tell if it is effecting other people or just me as well. I've never had that happen with any game before.

Top Bottom