• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3 |OT| Got 99 Problems, But Sales Ain't One.

Chairman Yang

if he talks about books, you better damn well listen
MarkMclovin said:
Easily one of the best campaigns in the series.
I'd say it's the worst campaign out of the post-CoD3 games. It has no gameplay improvements, no real surprises, and a disappointing, unambitious, God of War 3-style story. It feels like Call of Duty fanfiction.

LowParry

Juancho9 said:
I'm surprised there isn't more hate on it here. All, and I mean ALL of my annoyingly fanboy cod lover friends have dropped the game due to it's issues and are just playing mw2.

What seems to be all these issues? Can't stab from ridiculous range? Can't noob tube all over the place? Killstreaks not enough for your kill count!?

aku:jiki

Akkad said:
Isn't the token in the prestige shop for that? I got a token there and one of the options to spend it on is double xp.
No. I had four tokens to start with - CoD4, WaW, MW2 and Black Ops. No extra token for founder status.

CcrooK said:
What seems to be all these issues? Can't stab from ridiculous range? Can't noob tube all over the place? Killstreaks not enough for your kill count!?
Oh come on. I like the game too but it's pretty far from flawless.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Chairman Yang said:
I'd say it's the worst campaign out of the post-CoD3 games. It has no gameplay improvements, no real surprises, and a disappointing, unambitious, God of War 3-style story. It feels like Call of Duty fanfiction.
I thought Act 2/3 were damn near perfect with their setpieces. They also looked pretty damn good on PC.

Chairman Yang said:

In terms of quality, set pieces & story & constantly changing locales, it's all on par with MW2.

NYR

Akkad said:
Isn't the token in the prestige shop for that? I got a token there and one of the options to spend it on is double xp.
This is different then the prestige bonus.

This is the double XP reward you get for signing up for Elite.

Apoc87 said:
did cod3 have a good campaign?

If you try and go back to it now you're going to be shocked at how bland the graphics are and how unexciting the gunplay is. I tried about a year ago and it was surprising. That was Treyarch's first attempt, and it was a little rough around the edges.

EYEL1NER

Apoc87 said:
did cod3 have a good campaign?
I liked it. I played through it maybe two years ago while itching to play a WW2 shooter again and had a good time. I liked it better than the CoD2 campaign anyway.

Chairman Yang said:

I wasn't expecting much improvement, just continuation of the MW story. Yeah it's all over the top Bay style action but that's what the MW SP series was about. It felt like a rollercoaster ride to me and I was literally grinning all the way through this game.

When I have time, I'm going to replay MW1, 2 & 3 back to back for the whole experience.

hamchan

See You Next Wednesday said:
In terms of quality, set pieces & story & constantly changing locales, it's all on par with MW2.
Yep. I'd say they even did an admirable job following up on MW2's mess of a story and wrapped it up very satisfyingly. Gameplay wise they reduced the grenade spam and designed their levels much more smartly with how they placed cover and flanking opportunities. Easily one of the best CoD campaigns.

I have no idea if the campaign is good so far. I mean I've been playing it, but I put the game on easy and I've just been running through the levels, ignoring the enemies, to set off the next scripted event.

Jeff-DSA

Touch said:
If they nerf quickscoping, I demand grenades/launchers to have danger close damage. Only so that I can continue to quickscope with the XM25.

Quickscoping needs to go. They're SNIPER RIFLES. People running around like they've got a shotgun in their hands rather than a rifle get so annoying. They need to make it twice as long to pull that scope up.

R2D4

Banned
With these small claustrophobic maps how are sniper rifles useful at all if you use them like they are meant to be used?

Just received an email from Amazon saying they processed a 5$ refund from my MW3 preorder/purchase. Something about preorder protection was mentioned but thats about it.

So was my game 5$ cheaper or more? LOL

I would like to thank Victrix for his livestreams. I am living vicariously through his riot shield shenanigans and it is helping me suppress the urge to purchase this. Very entertaining stuff!

So what is everyone's thoughts on Kick vs Stability? I have stability on my SCAR and love it, but I'm just not sure what is more effective, kick or stability. Has anyone made a video showing Stability yet with and without?

def sim

soulassssns said:
Just received an email from Amazon saying they processed a 5$ refund from my MW3 preorder/purchase. Something about preorder protection was mentioned but thats about it.

So was my game 5$ cheaper or more? LOL

Less. Amazon is the best. Now I've paid only $35, received a code for some avatar stuff and promotional $25 off my next year of Live.

Crazy value of a game.

rance said:
Less. Amazon is the best. Now I've paid only $35, received a code for some avatar stuff and promotional $25 off my next year of Live.

Crazy value of a game.
Don't you have to use that 25 off by 11/19 ?

Woo, I was kinda hoping that bitching on the forum would, like, force karma to give me my founder bonuses and it did! Awesome, now I can hit level 20 or so tonight. :D

R2D4 said:
With these small claustrophobic maps how are sniper rifles useful at all if you use them like they are meant to be used?
In CoD, quickscoping is how they're meant to be used.

rocksteady1983 said:
So what is everyone's thoughts on Kick vs Stability? I have stability on my SCAR and love it, but I'm just not sure what is more effective, kick or stability. Has anyone made a video showing Stability yet with and without?
My thoughts on it are "fuck stability." Seriously though, who needs less idle sway aside from dudes who camp corners with their sights up for five minutes straight?

GQman2121

Banned
R2D4 said:
I don't think you'll ever be on top of the kill sheet by rolling with just a sniper rifle, but Seaside and the Wall Street map are decent if you want to nail guys at range. Good for Domination and S&D modes.

Jeff-DSA

R2D4 said:

Well the solution isn't to make them overpowered and ridiculous. Maybe one shot kills need to go away until they release a map pack with more open areas or they need to slow the fire rate down. None of the sniper rifles behave like sniper rifles.

Well, if that's the case, that's just stupid. Everybody running around with a sniper rifle like it's a six shooter or a shotgun. Real cool. Reeeeeeaaaaaal coooooooooooool.

R2D4

Banned
Jeff-DSA said:
Well the solution isn't to make them overpowered and ridiculous. Maybe one shot kills need to go away until they release a map pack with more open areas or they need to slow the fire rate down. None of the sniper rifles behave like sniper rifles.

Well that's why I'm surprised they are even in the game. Hopefully they will give us the COD4 and MW2 maps eventually.

SmokeMaxX

NYR said:
Double XP has not worked for anyone. It's on the FAQ on the Elite website, and just posted on their twitter: https://twitter.com/#!/CallOfDutyElite/status/136823349455224832

Elite is and has not been working well at all.
My double XP for Elite came in the other day. They're rolling it out slowly but surely.
aku:jiki said:
Oh come on. I like the game too but it's pretty far from flawless.
It has flaws, but nowhere near the garbage that is MW2. MW2 rewards the wrong things. I guess that's my opinion, but I don't think I'm alone in disliking noob tube spam, helicopter spam, knives from SMG range, tac knife + commando, half screen models (well, 2/5th of a screen now), nukes that end OBJECTIVE BASED GAMES, ARs with zero recoil and beat every other gun at every range, etc.

There's a difference between quick-scoping where you actually aim and quick-scoping where all you see is the screen go black and you pull the trigger.

def sim

Making the sniper rifle more realistic would make them irrelevant. I don't even use them and I can see that. Come on guys, this is a Quake game, pretend they're all the rail gun and you won't be as mad.

SmokeMaxX

rance said:
Making the sniper rifle more realistic would make them irrelevant. I don't even use them and I can see that. Come on guys, this is a Quake game, pretend they're all the rail gun and you won't be as mad.
I grew up on Quake and I think it has a good amount of similarities to CoD, but this is the biggest disgrace. Railguns were amazing in Quake IF YOU HAD SKILL. Quake doesn't aim for you. There's absolutely no reason why you should get a kill if you don't even see the other player when you're zooming in.

Jeff-DSA

rance said:

The rail gun didn't rely on auto assist and lag to provide it's advantage though.

Does anyone have any really good strats for beating survival? Like any tips or tricks to get further. I do completely fine until like wave 30 and things quickly fall apart.

def sim

SmokeMaxX said:
I grew up on Quake and I think it has a good amount of similarities to CoD, but this is the biggest disgrace. Railguns were amazing in Quake IF YOU HAD SKILL. Quake doesn't aim for you. There's absolutely no reason why you should get a kill if you don't even see the other player when you're zooming in.

Toning down auto aim would be a good enough fix. Bizarro IW made it stronger for whatever reason.

Though to argue the point, this game was designed around auto aim because of imprecise analog sticks. An SMG (arguably the most used weapon in the game) in these CQB designed maps would dominate all the sniper rifles and force them into irrelevancy. In a rush heavy game like this, what chance do these chewbacca cosplayers have against PP90's and Type95's if they don't have their baby man aim assist?

SmokeMaxX said:
My god, it's ridiculous how GAF absolutely refuses to get over this absurd delusion. The rifle is not aiming for them when they do this.

SmokeMaxX

My god, it's ridiculous how GAF absolutely refuses to get over this absurd delusion. The rifle is not aiming for them when they do this.
Eh, Aim Assist and Auto Aim are the same thing to me. It's not aiming for you, but the effect is close enough to cause problems.

Try this. Have someone aim at you and run across their screen. Does it pull their aim? Now you're telling me that if I'm going against you in CQC and I'm strafing side to side (which is what is ingrained in me from playing Quake for about a decade) that my strafing doesn't influence the aim of the player at all? You're saying that the game won't assist the player by pulling their aim closer to me at the moment he "scopes in" and pulls the trigger?

Jeff-DSA

SmokeMaxX said:
Eh, Aim Assist and Auto Aim are the same thing to me. It's not aiming for you, but the effect is close enough to cause problems.

Try this. Have someone aim at you and run across their screen. Does it pull their aim? Now you're telling me that if I'm going against you in CQC and I'm strafing side to side (which is what is ingrained in me from playing Quake for about a decade) that my strafing doesn't influence the aim of the player at all? You're saying that the game won't assist the player by pulling their aim closer to me at the moment he "scopes in" and pulls the trigger?

Worse yet, I've had the aim assist pull my aim away from where I wanted to aim to aim at a target that was a bit more in the background.

SmokeMaxX said:

And how exactly does that only apply to sniper rifles? Or, rather, why is it only deemed unfair by GAF when it's done with a sniper rifle, compared to when you do it with your SMG or AR?

def sim

It should also be noted that shotgun users take advantage of the quickscope "ability" though to a lesser degree. Hip fires and faux scopes.

Jeff-DSA

And how exactly does that only apply to sniper rifles? Or, rather, why is it only deemed unfair by GAF when it's done with a sniper rifle, compared to when you do it with your SMG or AR?

Because sniper rifles are one-hit kills most of the time. If you both pull up to fire at the same time, the sniper will win because he only needs one shot to kill. Also, you can kill at longer distances, making it even more imbalanced since distance affects the other weapon types. With that kind of strength, you should have to line up your shot manually.

AEGISX

Banned
tsigo said:
Here's the Dead Man's Hand radius I was talking about earlier.

And can someone explain what the fuck happened here? I stick the guy, he survives. No Blast Shield. The only thing I can think of is he humped the wall and made it explode outside while he's safe inside. That's pretty lame if so (on the game's part; brilliant play if he did it on purpose).
I never use blast shield. I got sticked with semtex after aquired bullestic vest, i survived and it only took out my vest.

I would be fine with them putting the bacl ops quickscope nerfing in but making it easier to quick scope iwth the rifles that have small 1hk hitboxes. Also, they need to put a firing cap on sniper rifles like in black-ops so that there isn't so much rapid no scope firing.

Top Bottom