• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3 |OT| Got 99 Problems, But Sales Ain't One.

Has anybody tried the bottom-end Turtle Beach XL1 headset? I'd like to start playing with an integrated mic/headphone setup but don't want to spend a lot of money.

(360)

tsigo

PalaceBrother said:
Has anybody tried the bottom-end Turtle Beach XL1 headset? I'd like to start playing with an integrated mic/headphone setup but don't want to spend a lot of money.

(360)

Can't speak to the XL1s, but the X12s are awesome. Spend a bit more and be confident. If you can wait they've gone on sale for $45 at least twice now since release.

Jeff-DSA

tsigo said:
Can't speak to the XL1s, but the X12s are awesome. Spend a bit more and be confident. If you can wait they've gone on sale for $45 at least twice now since release.

I'm thinking of getting the X41s. I'd like to sit down with a pair first though.

Fugu

Jeff-DSA said:
They need to make it twice as long to pull that scope up.
If you want to make sniper rifles really useless really fast, this is a good way to do it.

"Quickscoping" is completely the result of autoaim/aim assist and is almost entirely irreconcilable (without making snipers worthless) given the current design of the game. Sniper rifles are balanced by the fact that they are clumsy and difficult to aim. If the game aims for you, that balance is sort of wasted. This problem basically doesn't exist on the PC, because while you can quickscope, the odds of it working are slim because you have to actually LAND that hit.

for future notice, the definition of quick scoping is shooting before your fully scoped in. Cod grants you full accuracy the moment you start scoping in. Black ops forced you to fully scope in for the accuracy bonus, if you tried to shoot while it was still scoping in you got hipfire spread. Battlefield Bad Company 1 had quick scoping in it too, but got rid of it for 2 and now BF3.

hard scoping is shooting while you're fully scoped in

drag scoping is dragging your cursor while you're scoped in as you take a shot

I made this post because I'm not sure if some people know the distinction between the 3

Apoc87

Banned
is quickscoping considered a good skill to have? I want to say that it seems like cheating to me, but I cant figure out why it seems that way to me. It seems like there's no effort involved.

Fugu said:
If you want to make sniper rifles really useless really fast, this is a good way to do it.

"Quickscoping" is completely the result of autoaim/aim assist and is almost entirely irreconcilable (without making snipers worthless) given the current design of the game. Sniper rifles are balanced by the fact that they are clumsy and difficult to aim. If the game aims for you, that balance is sort of wasted. This problem basically doesn't exist on the PC, because while you can quickscope, the odds of it working are slim because you have to actually LAND that hit.

All sniper rifles should have auto aim off by default

Apoc87 said:
is quickscoping considered a good skill to have? I want to say that it seems like cheating to me, but I cant figure out why it seems that way to me. It seems like there's no effort involved.

It's not cheating really, just exploiting shitty design

tsigo said:

Hrm....those are only $20 more and the reviews are pretty solid.

Thanks!!

knitoe

Jeff-DSA said:
I'm thinking of getting the X41s. I'd like to sit down with a pair first though.
I have both the X31 and X41. The X31 sound seems to be clearer and less distorted. Probably has to do with converting surround sound to work on only 2 speakers. And, you can still tell where people are coming from with the X31, sometimes more easy due to the issue mentions above, so unless you must have surround sound, get the X31 instead.

Flunkie

Banned
I just want to be clear - double XP only counts for kills, not challenges? Or is it everything? It kicked in from Founder and I'm level 80, and don't want to use it until I'm grinding later in my first prestige.

def sim

For you guys thinking of buying a headset, forget about the "true" 7.1 headphones with multiple cheap drivers on each ear. They simulate surround in a very tinny, unrealistic way and is worse than a set with just two dedicated drivers. Considering they over price them for having all those crap speakers, you'll be saving money this way.

aristotle

Want to be part of good group of friends? Want to actually have some fun in CoD? Do you want team mates to actually go for objectives?

Then the GAF clans are for YOU!

We are currently accepting members for both the PS3 and the 360 clans. Membership is limited to 100 members for each system and both sides are closing up fast! Once you join, we will partake in Clan challenges which will unlock custom emblems, custom titles, bonus XP and extra goodies. The more the merrier I always say.

Please go to this thread for more details and you can be added to the list: GAF MW3 Community/Clan thread

Please note: You do not have to pay for Elite to be a member. It is open to everyone of all skills. Just have fun and be a team player!

We hope to see you server-side! Thanks. :D

rance said:
For you guys thinking of buying a headset, forget about the "true" 7.1 headphones with multiple cheap drivers on each ear. They simulate surround in a very tinny, unrealistic way and is worse than a set with just two dedicated drivers. Considering they over price them for having all those crap speakers, you'll be saving money this way.

Would I be better trying to use my Sennheiser 595s with the basic XBL mic? Every time I've tried to do that they cut each other out....seems like regular headphones don't play nicely together. Maybe I've set something up wrong.

Jeff-DSA

knitoe said:
I have both the X31 and X41. The X31 sound seems to be clearer and less distorted. Probably has to do with converting surround sound to work on only 2 speakers. And, you can still tell where people are coming from with the X31, sometimes more easy due to the issue mentions above, so unless you must have surround sound, get the X31 instead.

Oh, thanks for the info! I actually don't need the full surround. I typically play with my setup cranked, but if it's late I'd rather throw on the headphones and not disturb the wife and kid. Something that's not going to hinder my play is sufficient.

CozMick

Banned
computers putin' said:
waaaattttt?

care to elaborate good sir?

Firerate, (I don't care what the stats say) is off the fucking scale. (without rapid fire)

Accuracy (for an smg) is absolutely bonkers, both long, medium and close range.

Hip firing is basically ads.

And now everyone knows this, which is why every single player I see has a gold version.

tsigo

CozMick said:
And now everyone knows this, which is why every single player I see has a gold version.

They've known it since MW2. Basically every bad player who thought they were awesome was rocking a silenced UMP.

ace3skoot

BadTaste105 said:
PS3 servers are fucked... such awful lag.

that would be because the PS3 doesn't have servers its p2p :p so blame your connection or the host connection.

apparently disabling theatre mode (in online main menu) appraently makes it more tolerable though i haven't tried myself yet. or play bf3 its pretty dam tight (dedicated severs)on PS3 but its very different beast to cod

def sim

PalaceBrother said:
Would I be better trying to use my Sennheiser 595s with the basic XBL mic? Every time I've tried to do that they cut each other out....seems like regular headphones don't play nicely together. Maybe I've set something up wrong.

I have the astro a40's (horribly overpriced but the mixamp is decent, headset is fine) and game sound weakens when someone is speaking. That's just how the games work, I suppose. I have some control over this with the amp, but I don't think all gaming headsets have the ability. Anyway, I do have the AD700's which is a lot better than any gaming headset out there. Very clear and detailed, I didn't know what "sound stage" was until I used a pair. For $80 it's a steal. I would use it all the time if it weren't so unwieldy to rock an xbl mic with it. As it is, I use the a40's out of ease.

rance said:
I have the astro a40's (horribly overpriced but the mixamp is decent, headset is fine) and game sound weakens when someone is speaking. That's just how the games work, I suppose. I have some control over this with the amp, but I don't think all gaming headsets have the ability. Anyway, I do have the AD700's which is a lot better than any gaming headset out there. Very clear and detailed, I didn't know what "sound stage" was until I used a pair. For $80 it's a steal. I would use it all the time if it weren't so unwieldy to rock an xbl mic with it. As it is, I use the a40's out of ease.

This is good info, thanks. Your description of the game "weakening sound" when someone speaks is exactly what I meant.

So basically if I want to avoid that dampening, I need to get a dedicated gaming headset.

Apoc87 said:

It feels like cheating because it sort of is. It is exploiting the aiming system, but at the same time, it isn't something you can will automatically pick up. You have to work at it to get it down.

sleepykyo

computers putin' said:
for future notice, the definition of quick scoping is shooting before your fully scoped in. Cod grants you full accuracy the moment you start scoping in. Black ops forced you to fully scope in for the accuracy bonus, if you tried to shoot while it was still scoping in you got hipfire spread. Battlefield Bad Company 1 had quick scoping in it too, but got rid of it for 2 and now BF3.

hard scoping is shooting while you're fully scoped in

drag scoping is dragging your cursor while you're scoped in as you take a shot

I made this post because I'm not sure if some people know the distinction between the 3

I didn't know, so thanks.

Fugu

Forsaken82 said:
It feels like cheating because it sort of is. It is exploiting the aiming system, but at the same time, it isn't something you can will automatically pick up. You have to work at it to get it down.
I don't really see how it could be construed as cheating. It's been in literally every revision of the game, and they've even included a perk in this one that makes it easier. The problem is really the imbalance inherent to the console you're playing this game on.

Jeff-DSA

BadTaste105 said:
PS3 servers are fucked... such awful lag.

I feel that it gets pretty bad on the 360 as well. There's such a big discrepancy between the kill cam and what you actually saw far too often.

Fugu said:
I don't really see how it could be construed as cheating. It's been in literally every revision of the game, and they've even included a perk in this one that makes it easier. The problem is really the imbalance inherent to the console you're playing this game on.

It's "cheating" because it's letting people hit others without really using skill and exploiting the system to basically aim for you. It's a console problem, but one that can be fixed. Other console FPS don't have quickscoping, and it doesn't work on the PC version.

It's really just exploiting design flaw not so much as cheating.

Fugu said:

Again, it isn't really cheating i guess, but it is still exploiting the aim assist. maybe you view exploits differently than I do, but I equate them along the same lines as cheating.

I do agree that its become a staple of the series, much like Skiing became a design implementation for Tribes after the glitch was found in the first game. But there is a reason why Quickscoping isn't an issue on PC and is much more prevelant on consoles and again that is because the aiming system allows for it.

Fugu

BattleMonkey said:
It's "cheating" because it's letting people hit others without really using skill and exploiting the system to basically aim for you. It's a console problem, but one that can be fixed. Other console FPS don't have quickscoping, and it doesn't work on the PC version.

It does work on the PC though, it's just harder because the game expects you to, y'know, aim.

How do you fix it on console? Better yet, how do you fix it on console without breaking it on PC? The latter is only relevant because IW seems to not realize that they need to be balanced separately (see akimbo G18s in MW2 and now akimbo whatever the laptop gun is called in MW3).

It's a competitive game. If the game lets you do it and it's not a bug (it's not), then you should do it until they balance it out.

njean777

The whole quick scoping fiasco is supported by Infinity ward. I remember reading an article where they basically implied that they allowed it to be in the game on purpose (on reddit). Even though Treyarch solved the problem with black ops.

It wont be taken out of the game, and yes its complete bullshit that it is even in the game. If you want sniper rifles in the game then make bigger maps to support them, do not compensate them with a completely stupid tactic. I rarely get killed by quick-scopers, but the fact that it is even in the game bothers me.

aku:jiki

BattleMonkey said:

Back any part of this post up with facts, please. Because all of it is wrong.

njean777 said:
The whole quick scoping fiasco is supported by Infinity ward. I remember reading an article where they basically implied that they allowed it to be in the game on purpose (on reddit). Even though Treyarch solved the problem with black ops.

Whether it is supported or not doesn't take away from the fact that it is still exploiting the system. Quick Scoping is not a design choice like Skiing in Tribes became. It is just something they aren't bothered with fixing because it DOES take some skill to pull off.

Fugu

njean777 said:

It wont be taken out of the game, and yes its complete bullshit that it is even in the game. If you want sniper rifles in the game then make bigger maps to support them, do not compensate them with a completely stupid tactic. I rarely get killed by quick-scopers, but the fact that it is even in the game bothers me.
They didn't solve the problem, they created an entirely new balance problem by which the M14 was the undisputed greatest gun of guns, because now that sniper rifles had hipfire spread even when they're in ADS (during the transition period) there was even less reason to use them over the M14.

Forsaken82 said:
Whether it is supported or not doesn't take away from the fact that it is still exploiting the system. Quick Scoping is not a design choice like Skiing in Tribes became. It is just something they aren't bothered with fixing because it DOES take some skill to pull off.
Of course it's exploiting the system! But so is using the recoil patterns of guns to systematically reduce or eliminate recoil, or reload cancelling. But the basis of winning is correctly exploiting the system put in place.

njean777

aku:jiki said:

Well he/she is right about other games not having quick scoping. BF3:nope, Resistance:nope, Halo:nope, Killzone:nope.

Fugu said:
It does work on the PC though, it's just harder because the game expects you to, y'know, aim.

That is the point, you actually still have to aim on the PC, and you should have to on consoles too. BO did it right, and then we took a step back with MW3 bringing back the nonsense. Quickscoping for many is seen as cheating or exploiting, that's how they feel and people constantly complain bout it. Some see it as a legit tactic. Opinions! IW though doesn't seem to care and is not going to likely change it on consoles so players have to adapt and learn to do it as well apparently.

aku:jiki said:

Oh please, on PC people still are required to do some work and aim unlike the easy quick scoping on consoles. Ton of games on consoles don't have it either. Or does it bother you people calling it a cheat or exploit? People have been saying so since MW2

njean777

Fugu said:
They didn't solve the problem, they created an entirely new balance problem by which the M14 was the undisputed greatest gun of guns, because now that sniper rifles had hipfire spread even when they're in ADS (during the transition period) there was even less reason to use them over the M14.

I never claimed they solved the whole issue, I just said they solved quick-scoping. Black ops had some problems, but I dont remember the M14 being a huge problem. Also what is ADS?

It's too bad no campaign level in MW3 compares with The Gulag from MW2. That level was amazing, thanks in part to Zimmer's music. The music in MW3 is pretty terrible, especially the winning theme for Delta Force (?).

Fugu

BattleMonkey said:
That is the point, you actually still have to aim on the PC, and you should have to on consoles too. BO did it right, and then we took a step back with MW3 bringing back the nonsense. Quickscoping for many is seen as cheating or exploiting, that's how they feel and people constantly complain bout it. Some see it as a legit tactic. Opinions! IW though doesn't seem to care and is not going to likely change it on consoles so players have to adapt and learn to do it as well apparently.
If you actually had to aim on the consoles, sniper rifles would be hilariously useless because the console controls simply aren't suited for that kind of precision. That's why this shit exists in the first place.

Also, your opinion is based on the incorrect premise that this is a bug that needs fixing. Considering IW doesn't see it that way, I'd say that pretty much invalidates that whole line of thinking.

njean777 said:
I never claimed they solved the whole issue, I just said they solved quick-scoping. Black ops had some problems, but I dont remember the M14 being a huge problem. Also what is ADS?
They solved quick-scoping by breaking sniper rifles. That is not a worthy tradeoff; why include them in the game if they are categorically worse than another gun?

Aiming down the sights.

njean777

Fugu said:
If you actually had to aim on the consoles, sniper rifles would be hilariously useless because the console controls simply aren't suited for that kind of precision. That's why this shit exists in the first place.

Then explain why no other shooters on consoles use this? I just want somebody to explain this to me. A good reason would be that the maps are usually bigger on other games, well if thats the case then MAKE BIGGER MAPS.

Top Bottom