• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3 |OT| Got 99 Problems, But Sales Ain't One.

Fugu said:
Also, your opinion is based on the incorrect premise that this is a bug that needs fixing. Considering IW doesn't see it that way, I'd say that pretty much invalidates that whole line of thinking.

Again it's about what players think/want. Just because devs of the game say something is intended, doesn't mean people are going to like it. I know they seem fine with it, but lot of people obviously have not been since MW2 and many were hoping it was going to go away in MW3.

The uselessness of sniper rifles in the current game if you are forced to aim is because of the crappy maps in this which has made the game much more of a corridor arena shooter. Other games use sniper rifles that require aiming just fine.

Brian Fellows

Pete Carroll Owns Me
aristotle said:
I think it's part of an upcoming update to Elite. Right now founders can add XP to their clan though.

Yeah if the fuckers will actually give you founders status. Still waiting on mine.

aristotle

Brian Fellows said:
Yeah if the fuckers will actually give you founders status. Still waiting on mine.

it took forever to get mine. I have all of the founder stuff, except for the double xp. They should really hire alot of temps to get this working already. Based on pre-orders alone, they should have known how many people wanted Elite & Founder. So far their excuses haven't been cutting the mustard for me.

njean777

BattleMonkey said:
Again it's about what players think/want. Just because devs of the game say something is intended, doesn't mean people are going to like it. I know they seem fine with it, but lot of people obviously have not been since MW2 and many were hoping it was going to go away in MW3.

The uselessness of sniper rifles in the current game if you are forced to aim is because of the crappy maps in this which has made the game much more of a corridor arena shooter. Other games use sniper rifles that require aiming just fine.

Exactly, the maps in mw3 are way to small for any sniper rifle use.

BattleMonkey said:

Yeah, it seems like quickscopers are in the minority, so I don't see why they catered to them, both with the actual shooting mechanics and the small maps that make "actual" sniping useless. Pretty dumb decision.

aku:jiki

njean777 said:
Well he/she is right about other games not having quick scoping. BF3:nope, Resistance:nope, Halo:nope, Killzone:nope.
All of those games have quickscoping, GAF just doesn't know what quickscoping is. Quickscoping is when you pre-aim your rifle correctly enough that you can fire immediately after scoping, sometimes even before you're fully scoped. That's really all it is; a fast shot with a sniper rifle.

I'm pretty sure the term comes from CS or Halo or something. It certainly wasn't invented with CoD.

BattleMonkey said:
Oh please, on PC people still are required to do some work and aim unlike the easy quick scoping on consoles. Ton of games on consoles don't have it either. Or does it bother you people calling it a cheat or exploit? People have been saying so since MW2
If the rifle basically aims itself, you can go ahead and get an Osprey Gunner by run and gun quickscoping on Village and upload the replay. It won't take you longer than like 20 minutes, right, since the game basically does it for you?

Don't be ridiculous, is what I'm saying, and don't talk a bunch of shit about something you've obviously never even tried to do.

(No, I'm generally not a sniper even though I can do some decent quickscopes. I just think this whole retarded "OMG it's like the game plays itself!" line of thinking needs to die, because it's completely wrong and insisting that the discussion be based on a broken assumption makes it a broken discussion. Which is stupid, because it is a valid discussion.)

Fugu said:
They didn't solve the problem, they created an entirely new balance problem by which the M14 was the undisputed greatest gun of guns, because now that sniper rifles had hipfire spread even when they're in ADS (during the transition period) there was even less reason to use them over the M14.

Of course it's exploiting the system! But so is using the recoil patterns of guns to systematically reduce or eliminate recoil, or reload cancelling. But the basis of winning is correctly exploiting the system put in place.

Adjusting to recoil is not an exploit. The game was designed for the guns to have the specific recoils they have. Adjusting is not the same as exploiting.

Quickscoping is retarded, but if someone quickscopes you then they would have killed you with any other gun anyway.

Maybe it's because MW2 conditioned me to jump/dive to prone every time I came face to face with a sniper. Anything I could do to throw off his aim, even though I've been killed by a quickscoper maybe ten times total in MW2.

njean777

aku:jiki said:
All of those games have quickscoping, GAF just doesn't know what quickscoping is. Quickscoping is when you pre-aim your rifle correctly enough that you can fire immediately after scoping, sometimes even before you're fully scoped. That's really all it is; a fast shot with a sniper rifle.

I'm pretty sure the term comes from CS or Halo or something. It certainly wasn't invented with CoD.

If the rifle basically aims itself, you can go ahead and get an Osprey Gunner by run and gun quickscoping on Village and upload the replay. It won't take you longer than like 20 minutes, right, since the game basically does it for you?

Don't be ridiculous, is what I'm saying, and don't talk a bunch of shit about something you've obviously never even tried to do.

(No, I'm generally not a sniper even though I can do some decent quickscopes. I just think this whole retarded "OMG it's like the game plays itself!" line of thinking needs to die, because it's completely wrong and insisting that the discussion be based on a broken assumption makes it a broken discussion. Which is stupid, because it is a valid discussion.)

I dont think we are talking about the same thing, I am talking about the fact that you can fire the rifle without even looking down the sight. Right in the middle of pulling the rifle up you can press the trigger and it will snap to the target before even being able to see out of the scope and they will fire and one shot you. Thats what quick-scoping is right? Because no other game allows this. I want you to go on BF3 and try this tactic and it will not work at all. I play majority recon class in BF3 and I have never ben able to quick scope somebody. It doesnt snap to the target like it does in COD.

aku:jiki

njean777 said:
It doesnt snap to the target like it does in COD.
No weapon snaps to anything in any multiplayer of any CoD.

What happens when you fire while scoping is that the accuracy rises as you lift your scope. Go into a private match with a sniper and see, the reticule shrinks to "meet" the center of the scope crosshairs. That's why you can get kills before fully scoping in, but you still have to actually aim the reticule yourself.

Edit: Note that while doing this raises your accuracy, it's never a sure thing in an IW game. They're not big on noscoping so the accuracy on any unscoped shot is pretty low. Treyarch games, however, allow sniper rifles 90% noscope accuracy and pulling that move will always get you the kill in Black Ops.

BadTaste

ace3skoot said:
that would be because the PS3 doesn't have servers its p2p :p so blame your connection or the host connection.

apparently disabling theatre mode (in online main menu) appraently makes it more tolerable though i haven't tried myself yet. or play bf3 its pretty dam tight (dedicated severs)on PS3 but its very different beast to cod

Playing with 2 other friends, and they lag too. Explain how it shows we have green (good) ping yet we all lag like hell?

BadTaste105 said:
Playing with 2 other friends, and they lag too. Explain how it shows we have green (good) ping yet we all lag like hell?

green doesn't mean good. 3 barring is green and usually represents a poor connection. At least when i play, 3 bars is pretty shitty.

ajf009

So has anyone else noticed this stupid leaderboard glitch?

when you prestige, your games player on the Score and Kills leadrboard reset. but you're number of Kills and total score stay the same. Leading to so ridiculous score and kill per game numbers

def sim

ajf009 said:
So has anyone else noticed this stupid leaderboard glitch?

when you prestige, your games player on the Score and Kills leadrboard reset. but you're number of Kills and total score stay the same. Leading to so ridiculous score and kill per game numbers

pfft i kill thousands of people per game all the time myself. i can't turn this swag off it just happens

Anyone else finding the reaper more fun to use than the 130? It also seems to be netting me more kills which is nice considering it takes 3 less kills to get. Love that thing.

Just opened my hardened edition, am I right in assuming I can activate the elite code, and that will give me founder status, then I have another founder code to give away?

Nelo Ice

Banned
GodfatherX said:
Just opened my hardened edition, am I right in assuming I can activate the elite code, and that will give me founder status, then I have another founder code to give away?

Yup, if u register before the 30th u get founder status automatically and the founder code is for getting founder status after the 30th.

rCIZZLE

Jack Scofield said:
Quickscoping is retarded, but if someone quickscopes you then they would have killed you with any other gun anyway.

Maybe it's because MW2 conditioned me to jump/dive to prone every time I came face to face with a sniper. Anything I could do to throw off his aim, even though I've been killed by a quickscoper maybe ten times total in MW2.

Exactly. People who are good with it are the kind of 4 k/d top scoring every game kind without it. Everybody sees youtube videos and thinks every game is like that. Like somehow you pickup a sniper and the game is ezmode for everybody. I don't think I've run into a good quickscoper in mw3 so far even though it's supposedly simpler.

njean777

rCIZZLE said:
Exactly. People who are good with it are the kind of 4 k/d top scoring every game kind without it. Everybody sees youtube videos and thinks every game is like that. Like somehow you pickup a sniper and the game is ezmode for everybody. I don't think I've run into a good quickscoper in mw3 so far even though it's supposedly simpler.

It varies my first game I ever played I ran into a whole team that was doing it, ever since then I havent run into many of them.

Quick question, if I join the GAF clan does that lock me in? I would love to jump in to check out the features and stuff, but can see myself clan hopping depending on who I play with.

spk

BankaiZaraki said:
Oh my god. It's just a game. I didnt even get that mad when I would die. Jeez.
The guy isn't even funny or interesting in the least. He's awful I don't know how people stomach him

Radec

I really hate snipers.

Not those quick-scoping guys (I think they are highly skilled to do that), but those who just stay on a decent area where the advantage is only theirs.

Pisses me off that I can't kill them lol.

Nelo Ice

Banned
Bleh still cant decide whether to pick up the hardened edition or not. And I swear the main reason I want it besides the dlc is getting the elite camo, titles and any other extras since im ocd about getting stuff like that lol. Gah and I already have the PC version, so the only reason for me to pick up 360 is for the elite sub and everyone on my friends list having mw3.

Relix

he's Virgin Tight™
I am enjoying this a lot more than previous entries. The most since MW1 and a little better than WaW (which I liked).

Untracked

Had some horrible games tonight.

The dirtiest campers, people seem to be too scared to move around. I guess increased bullet damage deters moving at all since once you're being shot at in this game, you don't have enough time to react and deal with it.

Also got spawn killed on Mission three times in a row (TDM). Guy was sat in the second floor window looking down the digger side towards the church. Me and my team kept spawning in the broken walls, we just kept popping up in front of him. It was like a target range lol. Facepalm worthy.

Stuff like this should not ever happen, in 40ish days of MW2 multiplayer I have never actually seen an enemy spawn. I know IW said they wanted to stop spawn trapping in MW3, they appear to have done that by randomly spawning anybody, anywhere, at anytime. This totally ruins the map control side of the gameplay and a lot of the fun for me.

I want to stick with it, so I really hope they patch spawning soon and release some decent maps as DLC.
So yeah, I've prestiged once, but I'm still not feeling it...

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
bobs99 ... said:
Quick question, if I join the GAF clan does that lock me in? I would love to jump in to check out the features and stuff, but can see myself clan hopping depending on who I play with.

You can leave at any time.

rCIZZLE said:
If you mean group you can just search and join. If you mean clan I also have been wondering about this.

Ok thanks. I didnt know there are two different things to join. I'll join the group once Elite is working. I would like to join the clan as well.

mf.luder

Geese, I am having trouble with this game. By this time in Black Ops I was keeping my head above water but here I am level 44 or so and my K?D is like 0.7, embarassing.

SmokeMaxX

Snipers should not be able to quick scope. Snipers are LONG RANGE GUNS. What if shotguns had a 50% chance of killing you from across the map? I didn't hear people being too happy with the Akimbo Models in MW2. It breaks the balance of the game for Snipers to be able to run around without aiming (vaguely putting the opponent in the center of the screen without zooming in with a SNIPER RIFLE isn't aiming).

How about this- IW only allows hip-fire accuracy until you can see the opponent? What could you possibly have against that? If you can't see the opponent, why should you get a bonus which essentially makes the opponent cover 3/4th of your screen?

Xux

SmokeMaxX said:
How about this- IW only allows hip-fire accuracy until you can see the opponent? What could you possibly have against that? If you can't see the opponent, why should you get a bonus which essentially makes the opponent cover 3/4th of your screen?
The hilarious thing is that's how it is. The killcam lies to you; you can't quickscope until the frame you can see through the scope. Despite the animation of the hip fire crosshairs shrinking, you're still at max hip spread until the gun completes it's ADS animation and is done zooming in.

Top Bottom