• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3 |OT| Got 99 Problems, But Sales Ain't One.

Mayyhem

I don't get it, why is it lagging so fucking bad out of nowhere? The first week was fine, ran smooth as hell. Out of nowhere I'm lagging in every single game, and I hear others complaining about it to. Its becoming unplayable, I'm playing like shit too.

Fuck this game.

why the maps sucks tho? i've played a lot of shooters too and i can tell these kind of maps are pretty good for a cod game......unlike freaking black ops.

and it a first time i hear someone complained about the maps when they're good at the game, aren't u supposed to be out there destroying everyone with your beast-like skills?

I went over why I hated the maps earlier, I'll find what I said and repost it later if I can find it

Do you automatically assume that everyone who complains about the maps suck? There are some good players here saying the same thing I'm saying. I mean, I'm a worse Gears of War player than I am at CoD, but I find the maps on Gears to be incredibly fun to play on and expertly crafted.....unlike in CoD, the game where I'm better at.

I do agree that the initial maps in Black ops were dull, just too straightforward for their own good, but still better than what MW3 is offering right now

really? downturn? Not nuketown-ish maps like dome? not shit like resistance that has no good shotgun routes? not carbon where instead of chokes points you have the entire middle 3rd of the map (going top to bottom) be a giant clusterfuck choke area?

Hmmmmmm, Dome maybe, the other 2.......... nah, they're still pretty bad though.

Keikaku

I've been playing some more and I have to say these maps feel really incoherent.

In my opinion, they don't do a good job of making it clear to players where they are where they can go. If you look at maps from MW or MW2, yes, there were alternate routes and multiple entries to certain areas, but they also had much clearer lines-of-sight and were more visually memorable.

All the cover and various objects just littered about make it harder than it needs to be to get attuned to the map. After playing, say, Ambush, Countdown, Strike or almost any other map in the MW map pool just a few times, you knew the general layout of the maps really well. The same goes for Afghan, Derail or Sub Base from MW2. When you spawned, you knew where you were, exactly how to get to where you wanted and where to check for enemies immediately. I'm not saying that this won't happen in MW3, only that the maps are designed in such a way that it will take much longer to achieve a similar level of proficiency.

Additionally, all the clutter on the maps makes it so that even when you find out way around, you're likely to get killed by somebody who pops out from behind some random protrusion. It doesn't help that the spawn system is borked too.

EDIT: I'm not a pro or anything, but I have put hundreds of hours each into MW1 and MW2. These are just my thoughts and observations from playing this game.

Jeff-DSA

Ok, I need to know. Is this lag every going to be fixed? I'm not whining, but if it's not, I need to sell the game now to get the most out of it on the resell. I will keep it for good if I don't have to see half second discrepancies between what I see and what the kill cam ends up showing me.

Seriously, this is not a "OMG, THE LAG IS SO BAD POST!" I really actually need to know if there's a chance they'll address the lag or if it's just bad netcode.

dmg04

#DEADWRONG
What's the deal with the little icons next to peoples names [far right of screen when in pregame lobby]

it has a little person with a plus sign in it

i dunno what IW can actually do to get rid of some of the lag. Best IW can do to make a noticeable difference I think is to mix in some server side hit detection for players who drop below a certain ping threshold to make it fairer.

would've been nice to have the option to play games regionally. I'm stunned that many of the small improvements Treyarch made to the series weren't carried over.

Mayyhem

Ok, I need to know. Is this lag every going to be fixed? I'm not whining, but if it's not, I need to sell the game now to get the most out of it on the resell. I will keep it for good if I don't have to see half second discrepancies between what I see and what the kill cam ends up showing me.

Seriously, this is not a "OMG, THE LAG IS SO BAD POST!" I really actually need to know if there's a chance they'll address the lag or if it's just bad netcode.

I need to know this too. After playing for 3.5 hours of pure-lag tonight every single match tonight I am officially done playing this game until its addressed and there's no lag. And if that wont happen, I'm selling this crap too.

Chittagong

Gold Member

see, I don't understand how this is humanly possible. Do these people have a pair of 600FPS eyes with totally lag free hard wiring to their finger tips? I was barely able to detect some of the enemies, let alone act on it instantly.

Also how on earth are they aiming? Do they place the enemy to the centre before even raising the scope? Or do they just do a swipe across the screen and press the fire button exactly at the right time?

that's some god tier stuff, if real.

see, I don't understand how this is humanly possible. Do these people have a pair of 600FPS eyes with totally lag free hard wiring to their finger tips? I was barely able to detect some of the enemies, let alone act on it instantly.

Also how on earth are they aiming? Do they place the enemy to the centre before even raising the scope? Or do they just do a swipe across the screen and press the fire button exactly at the right time?

that's some god tier stuff, if real.

thats why he turned it into a clip, this is a 1 in a million sequence right here.

eek5

see, I don't understand how this is humanly possible.
It's not. In COD there is hip fire accuracy and ADS accuracy. On consoles when you ADS there is a bit of sticky aim.

They're exploiting a game mechanic where they fire the shot right as the acurracy flips from hip fire to ADS which means less random shot as well as the autoaim in the game.

I swear I'm gonna frickin lose it.
I'm more than halfway to second prestige but my connection over the past three days has been crap.
I always had a 4 bar connection (like during the first 100+ levels) and now it's consistently 1 bar.
I've reset my router and modem a million times, and the few times that does work, it's only for a couple matches.
ARGGGGGHHHHHHHHH

I guess it's Spec Ops for me then for now...

kuYuri

Supposedly, another secret (glitch?) is that Shotguns get a boost in damage when equipped with Extended Mags. Sorry if this has been mentioned before.

I swear I'm gonna frickin lose it.
I'm more than halfway to second prestige but my connection over the past three days has been crap.
I always had a 4 bar connection (like during the first 100+ levels) and now it's consistently 1 bar.
I've reset my router and modem a million times, and the few times that does work, it's only for a couple matches.
ARGGGGGHHHHHHHHH

I guess it's Spec Ops for me then for now...

You guys think that any of these lag issues could be partially blamed on XBL or PSN? I mean, this is the biggest gaming release yet, and XBL reported over 3.3MM players on day one. Granted, that number hasn't endured, but I'm wondering if any of IW's problems are being compounded by added stress on the base services.

Parallel to that, I've definitely noticed a steady improvement in lag/stuttering over this past weekend vs during the opening week. Though, I've also stopped partying up with friends on the East coast (I'm out west).

And unrelated, BIG Thanks to the gaffer who recommended Marksman last week - world of difference in picking out enemies from the BG.

belier

On launch day, November 9th, I tried to play MP for first time.
Got a message telling me that the game was unavailable. I thought it was related with the different time zone's activation.
Tried on the morning of next day and happened the same.
Did some things to try to resolve it with no luck.
Googled a bit, but it seemed that no one else was having the same issue.
So I decided to open a ticket on Activision's support web.
Today, 12 days after, I've received an email from them:

Since Tuesday’s launch, Modern Warfare 3’s multiplayer has been working great. In fact, the amount of players online is even higher than what it was this time last year for Black Ops. Have fun -- we hope you continue to enjoy MW3 to the fullest.

However, on Call of Duty Elite, we are having trouble scaling the service to meet demand. We're aware that many of you are currently experiencing problems with the Call of Duty Elite service. You’re frustrated, we know it, and we know we need to fix it. Our teams have been working non-stop to identify issues and resolve them as quickly as possible. Again, these issues have no impact on the performance of the game. If you have questions about the state of the Call of Duty Elite service, please go to http://www.callofduty.com/elitestatus.

Please note that we are experiencing heavier than normal volume. As a result, there may be a delay in receiving a response. We apologize for the inconvenience and thank you for your patience.

Recently you requested personal assistance from our on-line support center. Below is a summary of your request and our response.

We will assume your issue has been resolved if we do not hear from you within 96 hours.

Thank you for allowing us to be of service to you.

To check Elite web? For PC version?
So, the solution that they bring me is to have their fingers crossed and hope that I've resolved the issue with someone's else help...

Fortunately, it was a problem with a pending update. Lots of people suffered it and find how to bypass it.

Thanks Activision!!!

Guenther

You guys think that any of these lag issues could be partially blamed on XBL or PSN? I mean, this is the biggest gaming release yet, and XBL reported over 3.3MM players on day one. Granted, that number hasn't endured, but I'm wondering if any of IW's problems are being compounded by added stress on the base services.
I don´t think so. The issues are the same for me since COD4.

Touch

Tonight has been the roughest time playing this game yet for me. So much lag/connection problems. I think they made it worse with that patch.

I just managed call in 2 (yes two) M.O.A.B's in TDM but the 2nd one was a glitch.

I called the first Moab in, that hit and then I continued playing. I went in for a double kill and the 2nd guy I killed dropped into last stand and killed himself with C4 (Dead Mans Hand deathstreak).
I should have died with him as I was stood at his feet when he detonated but I survived it and then got awarded another Moab which I was again able to call in.

AEGISX

Banned
i was on fire, fuckin rampage, called in a stealth bomb and was about to get their whole team with it then the game froze!? wtf, this shit happend to me twice already, does this happen to you guys? im on ps3

aku:jiki

In that clip, he's centering the enemy in his hipfire reticule and then scoping in to fire. He does it so fast because he's ready to do it before he even turns the corner; he's well aware that the enemy is spawning there and will come running so for a few of the kills he was probably already lifting his rifle before he even spotted an enemy. And, like someone already posted, that's probably a theater clip with data missing so it looks like he's not scoping in.

The other method you mentioned is called "dragscoping." It's just another type of sniper shot. Don't listen to eek5, btw. That clip is all skill.

What's the deal with the little icons next to peoples names [far right of screen when in pregame lobby]

it has a little person with a plus sign in it
It means you're in a group together on Elite, and shockingly, that feature actually works! If you select their name in the lobby, press A and go "show common groups," you can see what group it is.

would've been nice to have the option to play games regionally. I'm stunned that many of the small improvements Treyarch made to the series weren't carried over.
The game already does force region-based matchmaking. I'm guessing you're in NA so you don't really notice, but I'm in Sweden and I keep playing against the same 5-10 teams over and over and over. It kinda sucks and I'm actually wishing for the opposite of what you want - an option to turn it off!

hamchan

LOL, just went 31-1 on Fallen. Went through 2 killstreak cycles of Predator Missile, Attack Helicopter and Reaper. I kept killing the same dude over and over, even with my missiles and he raged so hard XD. Hearing the opponent's mic in this game after you kill them is the best new feature.

Has anyone ever killed an LS/L3 button in this game, because of the sprint?

Several of them, ha. Several people use my Xbox/contollers so it gets extra abuse. Its a miracle that my 360 is even still alive. I could only imagine the amount of hours its ran compared to average.

Doomskull

Neo Member
Seaside is the worst offender. If I random join that map I'll just quit out and take the loss - I don't care. I can't think of single map that I enjoy after 28 hours of play - they're all clusterfucks of blind corners, doors, windows, 2-story buildings and endless other bullshit that make it impossible to not get fucked over constantly. Usually around this time I've settled in with each map and they have a kind of ebb and flow to them you can predict - I have zero sense of "knowing" the maps this time around, and it's completely contrary to fun. Maybe some will disagree, and that's their prerogative.

Sorry for the rant. Peace.

Yup. The awfulness of these maps cannot be overstated.

I'm hanging on to my copy until the first map pack comes out. If they are as bad as the standard maps I'm done.

Several of them, ha. Several people use my Xbox/contollers so it gets extra abuse. Its a miracle that my 360 is even still alive. I could only imagine the amount of hours its ran compared to average.
Same here except I have to admit that I'm the more abusive of the few that use my 360. I've worn out like 5 controllers with CoD... One of which I just bought less than a year ago!

Bought a Razer Onza as a replacement but that was money down a damn drain. How could Razer fail that badly? :(

Just got booted off Live to download a 4MB patch for MW3 yet again. Second time this has happened to me.

Well, I want the update. 3 of my 4 friends playing it at the moment just got the update but not me. Its been 10 mins. Wonder if it has something to do with the fact that I am running the new beta dashboard? Unlikely as I can still talk to them over party chat. Weird and frustrating!

kuYuri

Well, I want the update. 3 of my 4 friends playing it at the moment just got the update but not me. Its been 10 mins. Wonder if it has something to do with the fact that I am running the new beta dashboard? Unlikely as I can still talk to them over party chat. Weird and frustrating!

I'm on the new dashboard too. I didn't expect another patch so soon, so I thought something was up with my Xbox.

Also, you can force the update by clearing your cache.

+Aliken+

It's not. In COD there is hip fire accuracy and ADS accuracy. On consoles when you ADS there is a bit of sticky aim.

They're exploiting a game mechanic where they fire the shot right as the acurracy flips from hip fire to ADS which means less random shot as well as the autoaim in the game.

And I guess it would also be an easy fix.
Just make the switch from Hip to ADS when you are actually looking down the sight, especially for snipers.

kuYuri

I'm not sure why that tip would work, though? If an account isn't getting an update push, that means the server hasn't flagged it for updating yet. Why would doing stuff on your local HDD change a server setting/queue?

Clearing the cache takes away all title updates for 360 games that don't install to the HDD, so the next time you start a game you download the latest update. There is no downside to doing it.

I'm not sure why that tip would work, though? If an account isn't getting an update push, that means the server hasn't flagged it for updating yet. Why would doing stuff on your local HDD change a server setting/queue?

It worked. Just means all my other games will have to redownload the latest update, but worth it.

PSYGN

I feel like Treyarch will be the better CoD dev once they get the latest IW engine to build off of. I hope they get to add all of their additions in the previous Black Ops IW engine to it. They seemed to have actually worked their asses off and built a better multiplayer experience with all the features and really cared for their game past launch, unlike what I've seen with MW3. MW3, while fun, seems less polished and robust as a multiplayer whole.

I feel like Treyarch will be the better CoD dev once they get the latest IW engine to build off of. I hope they get to add all of their additions in the previous Black Ops IW engine to it. They seemed to have actually worked their asses off and built a better multiplayer experience with all the features and really cared for their game past launch, unlike what I've seen with MW3. MW3, while fun, seems less polished and robust as a multiplayer whole.

Spot on.

Clearing the cache takes away all title updates for 360 games that don't install to the HDD, so the next time you start a game you download the latest update. There is no downside to doing it.
What? They're not keeping patches in RAM...

Edit: Oh, I see. It takes away all patches, actually, and the system does that itself anyway. You're only keeping some 5 patches on your HDD at any one time. But I'm still not sure how deleting things on a local HDD would change a server setting...

SeanR1221

I'm still trying to decide if the map thing is psychological.

With 16 maps, there could be 10 shitty ones and 6 good ones.

Regardless, overall they're pretty terrible, and as of right now, my friends and I regret our Elite purchase.

hamchan

Hooray, I got a gold badge in that domination capture competition. I thought I only made it to silver.

Also I'm not feeling good about the Type 95, even though it's supposed to be overpowered I think I'm missing something because I'm not doing that great with it. Using it for a couple of hours my KDR is only 1.16 with it, while sticking with the ACR I get 1.84. The ACR is paying off big time too with my weekly KDR in TDM being 3.31. I'm finding it really easy to get long streaks when I go Predator Missile -> Attack Copter -> Reaper. When I prestige I'm taking the ACR with me for sure.

SmokeMaxX

Hooray, I got a gold badge in that domination capture competition. I thought I only made it to silver.

Also I'm not feeling good about the Type 95, even though it's supposed to be overpowered I think I'm missing something because I'm not doing that great with it. Using it for a couple of hours my KDR is only 1.16 with it, while sticking with the ACR I get 1.84. The ACR is paying off big time too with my weekly KDR in TDM being 3.31. I'm finding it really easy to get long streaks when I go Predator Missile -> Attack Copter -> Reaper. When I prestige I'm taking the ACR with me for sure.

You using rapid fire?

The ACR is paying off big time too with my weekly KDR in TDM being 3.31. I'm finding it really easy to get long streaks when I go Predator Missile -> Attack Copter -> Reaper. When I prestige I'm taking the ACR with me for sure.

What attachments do you use for the ACR? It was one of my favourite guns in MW2 along with TAR21 but I'm not doing too well with it in this game. It just feels a bit too slow and ineffective when compared to SMGs.

Untracked

Yup. The awfulness of these maps cannot be overstated.

I'm hanging on to my copy until the first map pack comes out. If they are as bad as the standard maps I'm done.

This is how I'm feeling too.
I have 40 days played in MW2 and I just cannot get my head around the map design in 3. Did IW's map designers fuck off to Respawn? Cos this new game doesn't feel like cod to me at all.

Worst offenders IMO are Interchange, Bakaara, Villiage, Downturn and Lockdown. Closely followed by Seatown and Mission.

I want to like Bootleg, Underground, Hardhat and Dome but the dodgy spawn system isn't helping.

Totally regretting buying the Hardon version and I think it's only a matter of time till me and friends are back on MW2... for the third year running.

hamchan

What attachments do you use for the ACR? It was one of my favourite guns in MW2 along with TAR21 but I'm not doing too well with it in this game. It just feels a bit too slow and ineffective when compared to SMGs.
Red dot + silencer. Perks I use are sleight of hand, assassin/quickdraw and marksman. I don't camp but I like knowing people can't see me, hence assassin. If I feel confident I put on quickdraw, since that super fast ADS and grenades is pretty darn good. It's not a run and gun class that's for sure but it's not a campy class either.

I find marksman to be an extremely awesome perk. You can see the red names of enemies so damn far away, even through smoke I can get enemies easily. The ACR kills decently at range too.

Top Bottom