• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3 |OT| Got 99 Problems, But Sales Ain't One.

njean777

I'll do a quick run off on the things that make me think this way.

- The spawning is horrible, yes. There's nothing quite like being pinballed around because of the shoddy spawn system AND poor level design.

- Head glitching. What the fuck, man. This has been an issue forever and they just don't seem to give a fuck. It's not even hyperbole to say that the majority of good games put out by the CoD userbase probably involved headglitching at some point or another in the game. Instead of fixing one of the most ridiculous tactics in the game, they've embraced it. They enable it. They place these convenient little areas near choke point that just scream out to be discovered. It's like the motto for head glitching in Call of Duty games is "use me. abuse me". Millions of people (including myself!) use this because it's either head glitch or be head glitched. It's so wrong.

- The weapon balance. Sniper rifles and LMGs have no purpose in the game. Quick scoping is bullshit and sniper rifles make no sense to otherwise use in this game. There's a reason why it's in the game, few people would ever use a sniper rifle regardless. The maps are too confined and dense to rely on them legitimately. LMGs also have like no use cases at all. They're just there at this point for a box tick, I suppose.

- And since I've touched on this in all three of my points, the LEVEL DESIGN.

I agree the maps are not the best in the series you have very valid points, but I still love the game.

I just think there's a huge issue in being in a gunfight against a scalp. That's a fundamental flaw in my opinion. It's just a nightmare. It doesn't have to be that way, it shouldn't be that way. There's no legitimate argument on why it should be that way.

As far as the tactical advantage behind cover goes, the vast majority of the places it's applicable are already choke points by design (doorways, corners, etc). You're already set up to have that tactical advantage by catching someone on their heels. And if you want to be behind cover so tall that only your scalp is visible, you shouldn't be able to shoot over it.

Like I said, I abuse these positions myself. It's not like I'm only a victim to them, they're just not fair. I shouldn't be able to do this to other people, they shouldn't be able to do it to me. But because of how fucked up the community is, like I said, it's either glitch or be glitched.

Good points, but I've experienced less head glitching with MW3 than probably any of the other CoDs. Like someone else said the maps cater to a flanking playstyle, so head glitching is less of a problem since unlike the previous games it's easy to get behind a guy and get him out of his spot.

lol that's how it works in halo too

or pretty much every shooter out there. it's there to compensate for the player, so we don't get a disconnect from how and where we shoot from a fixed perspective

I know it does, but other shooters don't give you the type of cover you can exploit this with though.

CorrisD

badchoiceboobies
I'll do a quick run off on the things that make me think this way.

- The spawning is horrible, yes. There's nothing quite like being pinballed around because of the shoddy spawn system AND poor level design.

- Head glitching. What the fuck, man. This has been an issue forever and they just don't seem to give a fuck. It's not even hyperbole to say that the majority of good games put out by the CoD userbase probably involved headglitching at some point or another in the game. Instead of fixing one of the most ridiculous tactics in the game, they've embraced it. They enable it. They place these convenient little areas near choke point that just scream out to be discovered. It's like the motto for head glitching in Call of Duty games is "use me. abuse me". Millions of people (including myself!) use this because it's either head glitch or be head glitched. It's so wrong.

- The weapon balance. Sniper rifles and LMGs have no purpose in the game. Quick scoping is bullshit and sniper rifles make no sense to otherwise use in this game. There's a reason why it's in the game, few people would ever use a sniper rifle regardless. The maps are too confined and dense to rely on them legitimately. LMGs also have like no use cases at all. They're just there at this point for a box tick, I suppose.

- And since I've touched on this in all three of my points, the LEVEL DESIGN.

Seriously screw the spawning and quick scoping in this game, and screw Infinity Ward being all "were bringing quick coping back, aren't we cool", instead of fixing something they just leave this nonsense as it is and pretend its a feature.

I can't count the number of times I have been screwed over spawning in front or right next to an enemy who then procedes to shoot me in the back, the game I was just playing, It kept spawning me at checkpoint C on Outpost, but there were 2 snipers running around quick scoping everyone, I must have spent 5-6 lives before it decided to spawn me somewhere else.

I'm looking forward to the next Treyarch CoD, they at least have the decency to try and fix whatever mess Infinity Ward has made with their last game while improving on their last, and then actually try to bring something new to the table.

Meier

Played a few hours yesterday and got to level 32. OMG at the Type 95. I never want another gun.. just feels so good. Sucks that you more or less have to use a site on it due to that insane default one but totally worth it.

I garentee you if you were in a battlefield. You only gonna see heads not entire upper body or chests

You're right, but the problem is you often don't even get heads. You just get scalps. I'd kill to have an entire head visible 100% of the time when an enemy can hit me. I'm not saying all cover needs to cut at the waist, but a little under the chin visible 100% of the times would really make all of the difference in the world.

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.
Played a few hours yesterday and got to level 32. OMG at the Type 95. I never want another gun.. just feels so good. Sucks that you more or less have to use a site on it due to that insane default one but totally worth it.
I just finally reached top rank and used the Type 95 with red dot sight and rapid fire for the last few levels to complete some challenges. Jesus. I think I'll still use a prestige token on the G36C instead, since the T95 is unlocked earlier, but I'll definitely be adding it to my rotation.

def sim

I know it does, but other shooters don't give you the type of cover you can exploit this with though.

You can seemingly shoot through walls in Halo, though it's not as effective in that kind of game. You're right though; in a rush heavy, meat grinder game like MW3 it's a lot more annoying to get killed by someone using this tactic. The alternative is a possibly awkward shooting experience in a fast paced game and I'm going to guess that's worse than what we have.

what? I like the game lol

NO YOU DON'T JERK

I just think there's a huge issue in being in a gunfight against a scalp. That's a fundamental flaw in my opinion. It's just a nightmare. It doesn't have to be that way, it shouldn't be that way. There's no legitimate argument on why it should be that way.

As far as the tactical advantage behind cover goes, the vast majority of the places it's applicable are already choke points by design (doorways, corners, etc).

I'm gonna stop the quote right there because you aren't seeing that it's your own damn fault if you run into a choke point head-on and not ready to shoot towards the commonly used cover.

And I already said why it has to be that way: because otherwise you see a lot more of your shots not going where you would expect them to go. That would make sniper use impossible in this game, and would make things primarily in favor of weapons that had the best hipfire. You would also get a lot of frustrating situations where you have a decent opening to shoot through but you wouldn't be able to use it because you rifle would be shooting right below the cover.

All this "oh no i can only shoot their head" tells me that you all don't get the point of cover. You all must have had a real hard time whenever Crossfire came up in CoD4.

Like I said, I abuse these positions myself. It's not like I'm only a victim to them, they're just not fair. I shouldn't be able to do this to other people, they shouldn't be able to do it to me. But because of how fucked up the community is, like I said, it's either glitch or be glitched.

It's not a glitch. They didn't accidentally choose to make the center of your screen or the point on your sight the firing center.

You're right, but the problem is you often don't even get heads. You just get scalps. I'd kill to have an entire head visible 100% of the time when an enemy can hit me. I'm not saying all cover needs to cut at the waist, but a little under the chin visible 100% of the times would really make all of the difference in the world.

You say this now but as soon as they do this nearly everyone is going to start complaining out their sights being useless and hipfire being too important. It would basically make the game feel like third person mode felt in MW2.

I'm gonna stop the quote right there because you aren't seeing that it's your own damn fault if you run into a choke point head-on and not ready to shoot towards the commonly used cover.

And I already said why it has to be that way: because otherwise you see a lot more of your shots not going where you would expect them to go. That would make sniper use impossible in this game, and would make things primarily in favor of weapons that had the best hipfire. You would also get a lot of frustrating situations where you have a decent opening to shoot through but you wouldn't be able to use it because you rifle would be shooting right below the cover.

All this "oh no i can only shoot their head" tells me that you all don't get the point of cover. You all must have had a real hard time whenever Crossfire came up in CoD4.

It's not a glitch. They didn't accidentally choose to make the center of your screen or the point on your sight the firing center.

That's what it's called, it may not be a glitch, but it's undeniably a fundamental FLAW. The game did not have to be built that way, it was done by choice. It's a stupid decision, POINT BLANK. The game did not have to be built this way but was. It's stupid. You can't argue why it makes perfect sense for the camera to be on top of the head after they've made the stupid decision to scale the characters and objects in the game like that. As far as I'm concerned this is infallible logic on my part. You can't seriously argue "it would be stupid of them to build objects to scale to allow for a proper POV".

And for the record...

If you haven't noticed, in CoD essentially every map is just a collection of choke points. Unless you're playing with a full party, unless you're at a complete standstill (hunkering down your own choke point) you're bound to run into multiple ones just by virtue of actively seeking out enemies.

As far as sniper rifles, the inclusion of quick scoping in MW3 all but shows their futility otherwise. The maps are nowhere near as open as CoD4, or even MW2. Without quick scoping they're ultimately useless.

You say this now but as soon as they do this nearly everyone is going to start complaining out their sights being useless and hipfire being too important. It would basically make the game feel like third person mode felt in MW2.
I don't see the connection between characters and objects being scaled to ensure at least a head is visible at all times and iron sights/hip firing.

hamchan

In COD games the bullets come from your head. So you can stand behind something with just the tip top of your head showing and still shoot. Making yourself rather hard to kill. It's a problem but nothing extreme. It's been there since forever.
People really complain about this? I do this quite often. I didn't realize being smart and taking good cover is glitching now. Have been doing it way back when I used to play CS too.

That's what it's called, it may not be a glitch, but it's undeniably a fundamental FLAW. The game did not have to be built that way, it was done by choice. It's a stupid decision, POINT BLANK. The game did not have to be built this way but was. It's stupid. You can't argue why it makes perfect sense for the camera to be on top of the head after they've made the stupid decision to scale the characters and objects in the game like that. As far as I'm concerned this is infallible logic on my part. You can't seriously argue "it would be stupid of them to build objects to scale to allow for a proper POV".

I'm saying that i like being rewarded on crossfire for finding a new spot to snipe other snipers from. I like being rewarded for minimizing my exposure or finding a perfect hole through a car to shoot the enemy. I like to know that even if it is the tiniest spot that the enemy is exposed my shot is guaranteed to get them so long as I line up the very center of my sight with that spot. Where the fuck do you want to camera to be if not right around where their eyes are. That's how this game works and it works well because of it.

And for the record...

If you haven't noticed, in CoD essentially every map is just a collection of choke points. Unless you're playing with a full party, unless you're at a complete standstill (hunkering down your own choke point) you're bound to run into multiple ones just by virtue of actively seeking out enemies.

No it is not just a collection of choke points. A choke point is a part of the map where, due to the nature of the paths on the map, most players are going to go through. Every map has alternate, out of the way routes that most people don't take and you can utilize flank the people going on the defensive. Name me these spots that you are having trouble and I can guarantee you that there are ways to optimally use a frag/semtex against those spots or flank said spots.

In fact, the game even has a perk specifically to counter these so-called head glitchers: Marksman. If you can't hit them even when the game is telling you where they are, then you simply aren't precise enough with you weapon.

As far as sniper rifles, the inclusion of quick scoping in MW3 all but shows their futility otherwise. The maps are nowhere near as open as CoD4, or even MW2. Without quick scoping they're ultimately useless.

What I am saying doesn't just apply to snipers, it applies to all long range weapons that have you using the sights more than the hipfire.

Divers look so god damn stupid in this game. Especially when they combine it with a bit of hopping around. Not much good against pure CQB players.

Also, P90 + silencer + range rocks.

vilmer_

I'm trying to decide which gun to unlock in the next prestige... I'm pretty much an old-school DM rush style player and I love my PP. I also use the Type 95 in the 'larger' maps, but the thing is both of these weapons are obtained rather early on and I'm not sure it would be a waste to spend a token on either of them. I haven't tried the MP7 yet and I've heard very good things.

Sushen

With only 4 more levels to go, I can't say I'm having fun... Once I max out my level, I'll be done. Now, I'm more used to the maps now, but still most are horrible maps. I can't help but feel like level grinding.

X-Frame

Something like this? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wJOpFCCnv0E

i got it constantly, also when i'm not the host.
It's really ridiculous and made me stop playing it for now, just isn't fun at all

Is there a way to easily tell if you're the host?

Also, that video resonates with me somewhat. There are certainly times when I am just destroying people and others where I am getting shot in the past but see it on my screen in the present, so it looks like I died in 1 bullet.

Didn't know that meant the difference between being the host or not ..

hoverX

Back on the original xbox the game Unreal Championship had the option for people to run their xbox as a dedicated server. Have any other games had this features since?

I cannot for the life of me get any better at this game. In MW2 I was rocking a KDR of around 1.7 (rough estimate) but in MW3 I'm continually struggling at .65. The lag, low health, bad spawns, and terrible map design are such turn offs...I keep coming back hoping that things will get better and that I'll improve but the way this game is set up makes it impossible.

Question for all the snipers out there. Is the MSR and L115 the only ones that are one hit kills no matter where you shoot (for the most part). Or is the 50 cal also one?

I cannot for the life of me get any better at this game. In MW2 I was rocking a KDR of around 1.7 (rough estimate) but in MW3 I'm continually struggling at .65. The lag, low health, bad spawns, and terrible map design are such turn offs...I keep coming back hoping that things will get better and that I'll improve but the way this game is set up makes it impossible.

You aren't alone. I was the same in MW2, am barley hanging on with a .97 in MW3.

def sim

Back on the original xbox the game Unreal Championship had the option for people to run their xbox as a dedicated server. Have any other games had this features since?

Games just straight up have dedicated servers hosted by the devs now. PC has always had this but console games are picking it up as well. Gears 3 and BF3 are notable examples.

Sushen

All those changes to discourage campers ended up punishing regular players. Unless you enjoy total chaos, this game is unplayable.

Xux

Question for all the snipers out there. Is the MSR and L115 the only ones that are one hit kills no matter where you shoot (for the most part). Or is the 50 cal also one?
Both .50s and both bolt-actions kill to the torso. The other two have to hit in the head to get a one hit kill.

X-Frame

Every single game I played for the past couple hours has lagged out several times during a match.

I'd start the match fine with 4 bars as usual like everyone else and then every minute drop down to 1 bar and be rubber-banding for about 15 seconds. Then it goes back to 4 bars. This seems to only affect me.

Never happened once until today, with the .11 update.

Anyone else experiencing this all of a sudden?

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.
I'm having trouble too, but very slowly getting better. I try not to care about my K/D ratio (and I don't really), but it's just annoying that I'm generally so much worse at this game than MW2 or BO. I almost never went negative in those games, but in MW3, every few matches I'll go like 9-15 or something — it's awful.

Anyway, I just prestiged and realized during those first few levels (where you can only use default classes) that Stalker is by far the most integral perk for me. I can't live without it anymore... I just felt so sluggish.

Bread

Banned
"Head glitching" isn't the problem, the developers always insist on putting these boxes just high enough to cover your neck. Especially on Lockdown, it's way too easy to mow down 3+ enemies just from that one spot.

zychi

Banned
Am I the only one who suffers from a host disadvantage? I have rage quit a couple of games today where I was the host and it was just mind boggling how fast people were able to kill me in those matches. Even when I knew where the enemy was coming from and was ready to fire I would drop dead in a nanosecond once the enemy appeared. Such bullshit.

Every single match I play on XBL. All these videos of guys going on sprees in COD on consoles, I always want to see their connection bars. My buddy has terrible internet and has a great K/D ratio, but when he comes over here he gets destroyed. I'm just about done with this game, going to get to level 80 and move onto either Halo or back to BF3 for my MP fix til KOTOR.

Sushen

Every single match I play on XBL. All these videos of guys going on sprees in COD on consoles, I always want to see their connection bars. My buddy has terrible internet and has a great K/D ratio, but when he comes over here he gets destroyed. I'm just about done with this game, going to get to level 80 and move onto either Halo or back to BF3 for my MP fix til KOTOR.

This and the map design kill this game for me. I used to have 3MB connection which didn't serve me well for MW1 with all those outrageous killcam footages. During MW2 and Blops, my 30MB connection worked out great, and MW3 brought all the bad memories from MW1 with 3MB connection.

I wonder what genius at IW came up with this idea of punishing people with good connections. I'm sure those who decided for it don't play this game or have lousy connections.

Ironically, I do better with 3 bars than 4 bars in MW3!

How does one go about introducing a 250 ms lag on my end of the connection? My play experience matches up with the one in the video and I want to know if it's just me or lag compensation (FIOS, your fiber sweetness is killing me in MW3, literally!)

"Head glitching" isn't the problem, the developers always insist on putting these boxes just high enough to cover your neck. Especially on Lockdown, it's way too easy to mow down 3+ enemies just from that one spot.

Which spot are you talking about? I run shotgun, so my main objective is finding a route to surprise those using a convenient perch, and Lockdown is one of the maps that i tend to have a real easy time flanking people at as well as throwing semtex/cooked-frag in the numerous area that people like to camp at (such as that corner building with the three windows, which was how i got "enemy with benefits" challenge done).

Top Bottom