• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3 |OT| Got 99 Problems, But Sales Ain't One.

Ovid

I'm done with this game. Reached Level 80 and got a few golden guns along the way. Prestiging never appealed to me in CoD so I'm not gonna even bother. It doesn't mean shit since people eventually hack their way to the top anyway.

This game has too many issues. The only thing they did right was the strike packages (no more death from above). Other than that the maps sucks (to many entry points and obstacles), connection issues suck ("I just pumped 10 bullets into him and I die...with one shot?"), and I'm tired of getting shot in the back (literally two seconds after spawning).

There were moments where it was fun but most of time it wasn't. I don't wanna play a game that constantly gets me angry. Bottom line, with all the issues it has, this game just it isn't fun to play. I was hoping that they'd fix some of the issues in the past two weeks but I guess that was a pipe dream.

Makes me wonder, what happened to the Modern Warfare franchise?

rapid32.5

I'm done with this game. Reached Level 80 and got a few golden guns along the way. Prestiging never appealed to me in CoD so I'm not gonna even bother. It doesn't mean shit since people eventually hack their way to the top anyway.

This game has too many issues. The only thing they did right was the strike packages (no more death from above). Other than that the maps sucks (to many entry points and obstacles), connection issues suck ("I just pumped 10 bullets into him and I die...with one shot?"), and I'm tired of getting shot in the back (literally two seconds after spawning).

There were moments where it was fun but most of time it wasn't. I don't wanna play a game that constantly gets me angry. Bottom line, with all the issues it has, this game just it isn't fun to play. I was hoping that they'd fix some of the issues in the past two weeks but I guess that was a pipe dream.

Feel the same man, I played COD4 and MW2 to death. Got burned with BLOPs with no proper hit detection that never been fixed and now MW3. I don't wanna wait months for the game to become playable. I think COD series lost its appeal to me there isn't enough reasons to buy new games. Thank goodness I didn't buy the Elite Pack.

I hear you. From my limited experience with MW3, that's where my frustration lies. I have no time to gather myself and execute my flanking style. People spawn behind you, in front of you, to the side, so flanking is really neutered in this game.

Yeah, you've got me covered. I was running at about 2.6 which is nothing to be ashamed of, but 3.5 is seriously impressive. After watching your games, I'm not surprised. You're a great player.

Which is why competitive FPS are garbage. It used to be that every life counted, but in COD, there are "throw-away" spawns which leave you completely helpless. Either you spawn into the sights of a pavelow, or in front of a camper, etc. That's why I don't play the competitive aspect of these games anymore. ID didn't even bother adding a traditional competitive multiplayer component to Rage. Why? It would have be done right, i.e., opposite of COD, i.e. people wouldn't have played.

ZZMitch

All of these complaints about spawns and such make me love Search and Destroy even more!

Maybe that is why I enjoy the series so much I guess.

ajf009

If I don't have elite is there any way to view the Neogaf account's friends on PS3? I'm sick of playing with shitty randoms. Anyone on right now?

njean777

Which is why competitive FPS are garbage. It used to be that every life counted, but in COD, there are "throw-away" spawns which leave you completely helpless. Either you spawn into the sights of a pavelow, or in front of a camper, etc. That's why I don't play the competitive aspect of these games anymore. ID didn't even bother adding a traditional competitive multiplayer component to Rage. Why? It would have be done right, i.e., opposite of COD, i.e. people wouldn't have played.

I think you are holding on to a past form of competitive MP, Counterstrike is still around for people that value the one life formula, same with COD. There are many option in COD multiplayer to play it the way you want to. You do not have to play with killstreaks on, respawns, or the radar. COD MP is not the wrong form of MP it is just its own form, its fine to not like it, but to call it outright bad is wrong.

Anyone having any luck getting onto Elite via a mac? It wasn't loading on Chrome last week, so I was using Safari, and now Safari is loading the same white, blank page (not a single line in the source code) that Chrome was posting.

njean777

Anyone having any luck getting onto Elite via a mac? It wasn't loading on Chrome last week, so I was using Safari, and now Safari is loading the same white, blank page (not a single line in the source code) that Chrome was posting.

no problem for me on chrome with my macbook pro...

I think you are holding on to a past form of competitive MP, Counterstrike is still around for people that value the one life formula, same with COD. There are many option in COD multiplayer to play it the way you want to. You do not have to play with killstreaks on, respawns, or the radar. COD MP is not the wrong form of MP it is just its own form, its fine to not like it, but to call it outright bad is wrong.

It's perhaps wrong to call it outright bad, but it's no stretch to call it fundamentally flawed.

njean777

It's perhaps wrong to call it outright bad, but it's no stretch to call it fundamentally flawed.

How so? The spawning is horrible I agree, but everything else seems balanced to me. With a couple of weapon balance patches the game should be just fine. No game is ever perfect when it comes out.

Ovid

I tried really hard but this game isn't for me.

I wouldnt call the game bad. It just has too many issues to considered fair competitive MP gameplay.

Will there ever be a day when what happens on my screen actually happens on yours too?

Which is why competitive FPS are garbage. It used to be that every life counted, but in COD, there are "throw-away" spawns which leave you completely helpless. Either you spawn into the sights of a pavelow, or in front of a camper, etc. That's why I don't play the competitive aspect of these games anymore.
I overlooked this post. I completely agree with you.

that's why real men play search and destroy. Respawning is for chumps.

Ovid

I don't know dude. Search and Destroy is like Counterstrike, right? I love that game but I hate dying and waiting to get back into the action.

I'm all set to sell this game but I'll give it a shot today.

How so? The spawning is horrible I agree, but everything else seems balanced to me. With a couple of weapon balance patches the game should be just fine. No game is ever perfect when it comes out.

I'll do a quick run off on the things that make me think this way.

- The spawning is horrible, yes. There's nothing quite like being pinballed around because of the shoddy spawn system AND poor level design.

- Head glitching. What the fuck, man. This has been an issue forever and they just don't seem to give a fuck. It's not even hyperbole to say that the majority of good games put out by the CoD userbase probably involved headglitching at some point or another in the game. Instead of fixing one of the most ridiculous tactics in the game, they've embraced it. They enable it. They place these convenient little areas near choke point that just scream out to be discovered. It's like the motto for head glitching in Call of Duty games is "use me. abuse me". Millions of people (including myself!) use this because it's either head glitch or be head glitched. It's so wrong.

- The weapon balance. Sniper rifles and LMGs have no purpose in the game. Quick scoping is bullshit and sniper rifles make no sense to otherwise use in this game. There's a reason why it's in the game, few people would ever use a sniper rifle regardless. The maps are too confined and dense to rely on them legitimately. LMGs also have like no use cases at all. They're just there at this point for a box tick, I suppose.

- And since I've touched on this in all three of my points, the LEVEL DESIGN.

My best friend and I came to the same conclusion last night. We've played CoD religiously since MW1. We always have complaints and stuff after playing for awhile (normally when people start knowing the maps and formulating their play to maximize douchiness), but almost always started out playing and thinking "This is such an improvement!". Not so much with this one.

Yes, lag exists in all online games, but If I have 4 bars, I shouldn't be stuttering. When I aim down my sights, my frame rate should not falter, especially in a game like this. Most notably for me, it lags bad when I place claymores. I go to place my claymore, the frame skips and I place my claymore 5 five away from where I wanted. So I pick it up and try to re-place. Then I die. I am happy with the game overall. But it's issues like lag that take all the good they've done and wipes it from my memory. I know there will be apologists saying that I just suck or I need to disregard my killcam (what the fuck is it even there for if not to provide a representation of what happened?) but I never had problems like this in the other games in the series. Yeah BlOps had shitty hit detection, but rather that then not even getting to shoot someone period. I'm a middling player, not great, but not bad, but this game is killing me. This may be my last Call of Duty purchase. I'm not sure I want to wait around for them to fix THIS one.

All of these complaints about spawns and such make me love Search and Destroy even more!

Maybe that is why I enjoy the series so much I guess.

Me too. I love HC SND, but when I get into lobby after lobby with some dickhead on both teams racing to see how many team members they can kill per rocket, I can't even find solace in this mode. It's either team rocket kills, or I can't tell you how many times I've gone to plant a bomb, only to have a random teammate deliberately team kill me to get the plant. It's happened in other games, but this one seems to almost encourage asshole behavior because there is no punishment or penalty except for negative points. Most of these assholes are on secondary accounts, so even that doesn't matter. I report and report and report but I doubt it does anything. They can't even get their paid service working smoothly, I'm sure DoucheBagMcRocket is low on the priority list.

I played it extensively for the first time last night, I don't recall shields being so popular in previous installments, I changed my S&D packages lethal to semtex immediately. It seems like they take too long to kick idlers though which sucks pretty bad and some of the bomb sites are kinda WTF.

Ovid

- The spawning is horrible, yes. There's nothing quite like being pinballed around because of the shoddy spawn system AND poor level design.

- Head glitching. What the fuck, man. This has been an issue forever and they just don't seem to give a fuck. It's not even hyperbole to say that the majority of good games put out by the CoD userbase probably involved headglitching at some point or another in the game. Instead of fixing one of the most ridiculous tactics in the game, they've embraced it. They enable it. They place these convenient little areas near choke point that just scream out to be discovered. It's like the motto for head glitching in Call of Duty games is "use me. abuse me". Millions of people (including myself!) use this because it's either head glitch or be head glitched. It's so wrong.

- The weapon balance. Sniper rifles and LMGs have no purpose in the game. Quick scoping is bullshit and sniper rifles make no sense to otherwise use in this game. There's a reason why it's in the game, few people would ever use a sniper rifle regardless. The maps are too confined and dense to rely on them legitimately. LMGs also have like no use cases at all. They're just there at this point for a box tick, I suppose.

Probably the worst I've ever seen. It's like they said lets make up for this poor level design by placing a car here or a crate there. The problem is they put that shit all over the place. CoD games never has so many objects in the middle of the map to obstruct the players sight or movement. Fucking awful.

Meadows

Banned
Getting into Interchange, you can actually manage the map if you know how. Defs not one you can drop in and immediately boss on though.

Ovid

My best friend and I came to the same conclusion last night. We've played CoD religiously since MW1. We always have complaints and stuff after playing for awhile (normally when people start knowing the maps and formulating their play to maximize douchiness), but almost always started out playing and thinking "This is such an improvement!". Not so much with this one.

Yes, lag exists in all online games, but If I have 4 bars, I shouldn't be stuttering. When I aim down my sights, my frame rate should not falter, especially in a game like this. Most notably for me, it lags bad when I place claymores. I go to place my claymore, the frame skips and I place my claymore 5 five away from where I wanted. So I pick it up and try to re-place. Then I die. I am happy with the game overall. But it's issues like lag that take all the good they've done and wipes it from my memory. I know there will be apologists saying that I just suck or I need to disregard my killcam (what the fuck is it even there for if not to provide a representation of what happened?) but I never had problems like this in the other games in the series. Yeah BlOps had shitty hit detection, but rather that then not even getting to shoot someone period. I'm a middling player, not great, but not bad, but this game is killing me. This may be my last Call of Duty purchase. I'm not sure I want to wait around for them to fix THIS one.
Yes, my thoughts exactly.

OMG, the killcam, don't let get me started on that thing.

BTW, what's head glitching?

Probably the worst I've ever seen. It's like they said lets make up for this poor level design by placing a car here or a crate there. The problem is they put that shit all over the place. CoD games never has so many objects in the middle of the map to obstruct the players sight or movement. Fucking awful.

It only serves to help camp, really. Grey camo on grey debris is a nightmare, lol.

Ovid

Taking advantage of the fact that in CoD games you're basically shooting from your face -- if a guy's behind a box and all you can see is his head, he can still shoot you at full effectiveness.

It's part of the game.

Oh, I never knew it had a name. People do that alot on the stairs looking down the long hallway in Skidrow in MW2.

I don't know dude. Search and Destroy is like Counterstrike, right? I love that game but I hate dying and waiting to get back into the action.

I'm all set to sell this game but I'll give it a shot today.
it's all I play. I barely even touch other modes. Kills and deaths mean more, there is an actual objective, etc...

At first it'll seem overwhelming with some of the bomb site locations and all that, but overall it's the only mode in COD worth playing extensively. My opinion of course.

Meadows

Banned
Any way to find out your KDR per map?

My Mission KDR will be about 12 lol, only map I'm consistently good at. Hardhat on the other hand.....

Just logged into elite and got this message:

Registration complete you've received your double XP!

lol my registration has been complete since day one, but I have yet to receive that double xp from elite, but I'll take it!

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.
Hmm, the FAD...

It's a lot of fun to use, but man I'm terrible with it. It just feels like it's shooting pellets.

Touch

So what exactly is headglitching, and why do people insist that it is a problem in this game?
In COD games the bullets come from your head. So you can stand behind something with just the tip top of your head showing and still shoot. Making yourself rather hard to kill. It's a problem but nothing extreme. It's been there since forever.

Am I the only one who suffers from a host disadvantage? I have rage quit a couple of games today where I was the host and it was just mind boggling how fast people were able to kill me in those matches. Even when I knew where the enemy was coming from and was ready to fire I would drop dead in a nanosecond once the enemy appeared. Such bullshit.

All 3 very valid complaints, but the head glitching in MW3 is more of a problem than ever before. Damn near all the cover in this game is basically body high, so only the tip of your head is exposed. The other CoD's at least tried to be somewhat conscious of the issue when building the maps, as most cover seemed to be chest high and non-exploitable. Here, all cover just seems lazily placed and just kind of feeds into the feeling that these maps were half-heartedly designed

These are issue's that should be exposed with decent play testing though. Too bad it seems that with most FPS's there isn't much play testing going on, because devs can get the public to play test for them the first few weeks of release then send a patch out fixing everything. Issue's with things like cover aren't typically things to be fixed after release though......

Am I the only one who suffers from a host disadvantage? I have rage quit a couple of games today where I was the host and it was just mind boggling how fast people were able to kill me in those matches. Even when I knew where the enemy was coming from and was ready to fire I would drop dead in a nanosecond once the enemy appeared. Such bullshit.

Something like this? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wJOpFCCnv0E

i got it constantly, also when i'm not the host.
It's really ridiculous and made me stop playing it for now, just isn't fun at all

In COD games the bullets come from your head. So you can stand behind something with just the tip top of your head showing and still shoot. Making yourself rather hard to kill. It's a problem but nothing extreme. It's been there since forever.

But how is that a problem. That's the nature of the game and necessary in order for the sights to be pinpoint accurate. The whole point of this game is to most effectively use the paths and the cover to your advantage and as long as they can shoot at you, there is at least a small area of their head that you can shoot at.

The real problem is that there is some inconsistency with regard to bullet penetration. A xerox machine in underground shouldn't be impenetrable to an LMG with impact while someone else can easily kill me by shooting their SMG through a concrete barrier without impact.

But how is that a problem. That's the nature of the game and necessary in order for the sights to be pinpoint accurate. The whole point of this game is to most effectively use the paths and the cover to your advantage and as long as they can shoot at you, there is at least a small area of their head that you can shoot at.

Are you kidding, 98% of your entire body in protected & you can still shoot out of that cover.

Are you kidding, 98% of your entire body in protected & you can still shoot out of that cover.

that's the point of cover: to give you a tactical advantage compared to the guy with no cover.

if he is looking down the sights in one direction behind cover, then 99% of time he is vulnerable to flank or at the very least a frag.

Maybe I just don't see the problem as much because I always go for the flanking route.

Ovid

Okay guys, just played some new modes that I never played before: Headquarters and Search & Destroy.

Didn't change my mind.

AEGISX

Banned
I understand all the flaws this game offers. But people are bitching about head glitching now? Come. You gotta be real noob at this series. Head glitching is what seperate cod from other fps. Imagine what it's like if you take out the cover system from gears of war series

that's the point of cover: to give you a tactical advantage compared to the guy with no cover.

if he is looking down the sights in one direction behind cover, then 99% of time he is vulnerable to flank or at the very least a frag.

Maybe I just don't see the problem as much because I always go for the flanking route.

I just think there's a huge issue in being in a gunfight against a scalp. That's a fundamental flaw in my opinion. It's just a nightmare. It doesn't have to be that way, it shouldn't be that way. There's no legitimate argument on why it should be that way.

As far as the tactical advantage behind cover goes, the vast majority of the places it's applicable are already choke points by design (doorways, corners, etc). You're already set up to have that tactical advantage by catching someone on their heels. And if you want to be behind cover so tall that only your scalp is visible, you shouldn't be able to shoot over it.

Like I said, I abuse these positions myself. It's not like I'm only a victim to them, they're just not fair. I shouldn't be able to do this to other people, they shouldn't be able to do it to me. But because of how fucked up the community is, like I said, it's either glitch or be glitched.

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
I don't understand the "headglitching" complaints. If you're aiming down the sights, the gun is practically at your eye level, hence the bullets will originate from where your head is located. What's the problem here?

def sim

I understand all the flaws this game offers. But people are bitching about head glitching now? Come. You gotta be real noob at this series. Head glitching is what seperate cod from other fps. Imagine what it's like if you take out the cover system from gears of war series

What? Other shooters work like this as well, this isn't anything new. It's to match up view point and bullet trajectory in first person games. Also, definitely not called "head glitching."

I don't understand the "headglitching" complaints. If you're aiming down the sights, the gun is practically at your eye level, hence the bullets will originate from where your head is located. What's the problem here?

The bullets in a gun come out of the barrel, not the sights. Sorry.

def sim

lol that's how it works in halo too

or pretty much every shooter out there. it's there to compensate for the player, so we don't get a disconnect from how and where we shoot from a fixed perspective

Top Bottom