• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3 |OT| Got 99 Problems, But Sales Ain't One.

Yup, my mistake is trying to play it like a military FPS as well, using a pistol as a sidearm? no wai, all soldiers sprint about with twin SMG's as their sidearms, didn't you know?

Wait, this was supposed to be a military sim? Oh shit, IW definitely fucked up in that case!

aristotle

Wait so in real life without being prone you can fire a barret while running with no recoil? HMMM I find that really hard to believe in the slightest. The snipers have very little recoil while quick scoping.

You completed missed where I was talking about the fire rate and nothing else. It's even in the post you quoted. Did you read it? :p

njean777

Exactly how does recoil matter for quickscoping?

well in real life it would be impossible to even accomplish such a task, but this gets into the argument of "Well it is a videogame and not real life" but when you bring up a sniper rifle for a quickscope it should have recoil in the game as to not let you do it over and over in the next 10 seconds.

Seems to me that some people o this board defending quickscoping seem to never run into people doing it, which I hardly believe. When I play at least 10 games in a row about 5 of them have somebody that quickscopes. Not to mention they dont need to be in any other playlist but TDM cuz then kills matter, but dont come into domination sniping and just camping the whole match. You are not helping the team at all, GTFO and go snipe somewhere else. Or play a game where sniping is actually fun and somewhat realistic, and not just point and kill with no effort (cough BF3 cough).

aku:jiki

well in real life it would be impossible to even accomplish such a task, but this gets into the argument of "Well it is a videogame and not real life" but when you bring up a sniper rifle for a quickscope it should have recoil in the game as to not let you do it over and over in the next 10 seconds.
Do you even know what recoil is? Because what you just wrote makes no sense to someone who does.

Victrix

*beard*
Seems to me that some people o this board defending quickscoping seem to never run into people doing it, which I hardly believe. When I play at least 10 games in a row about 5 of them have somebody that quickscopes.

a) bullshit

b) who cares, not one person bitching about the plague of quickscoping has posted any sort of videos of dominating quickscope play, outside hilarious youtube montages, and if those are to be believed, 360s off tall places result in instant headshots

ZZMitch

Dome feels so broken for SnD, if you are on the attacking side there is little chance you will be able to leave the spawn building alive.

After watching Maximillian's video, I gotta say that the spawn trapping in previous CoD's was pretty ridiculous. To clarify, I'm pretty indifferent on the whole matter of spawn trapping, but I'd be disingenuous if I didn't acknowledge how easy it was to spawntrap a team and pin them down with killstreaks on certain maps in previous entries.

With that said though, you can never get rid of spawn trapping without making spawning completely random. Even in MW3, I've seen some teams pull of some nasty spawn traps; all it takes is a bit more coordination and knowledge of spawns than before.

It's definitely possible if they made the maps a little bigger. I don't mean battlefield size, but enough so that you can't spawntrap people even in domination not because they will randomly spawn behind but because there are numerous different paths for avoiding someone. That way you know that you were shot in back not because of bad spawns but because you left an opening for the opponent to attack through. It would also inadvertently reduce camping because it wouldn't be as effective except in objective gametypes and because there would be numerous paths you would also have more variety in the range of engagement.

njean777

a) bullshit

b) who cares, not one person bitching about the plague of quickscoping has posted any sort of videos of dominating quickscope play, outside hilarious youtube montages, and if those are to be believed, 360s off tall places result in instant headshots

A) nope not bullshit as I am not blind

B) It doesnt matter if the problem is rampant or not, its a stupid tactic that was taken out in Black Ops and made the sniper class more of what it should be, not "hey lets use this weapon as a shotgun and be able to take somebody out with an AR in close quarters." like it is now.

aristotle

A) nope not bullshit as I am not blind

B) It doesnt matter if the problem is rampant or not, its a stupid tactic that was taken out in Black Ops and made the sniper class more of what it should be, not "hey lets use this weapon as a shotgun and be able to take somebody out with an AR in close quarters." like it is now.

B: You're wrong. Go look up Snip3nator (snipenatorgaming) on youtube, the TES tryouts, or Steve Schwindt. Quickscoping has been in CoD in every iteration of the MP. Not only that, but those people I just linked have actual skill. But people won't say that in here. They just want to say it's easy-mode and complain about something that is hard to do and do it well. The hyperbole!

GQman2121

Banned
I started the Spec-Ops stuff last night solo. I ***'d the first two with out much of a problem. The plane took me about 25 attempts, but I eventually managed it beat it with a ton of time to spare.

This third sub mission though is kicking my ass on veteran. I think I may need a partner.

njean777

B: You're wrong. Go look up Snip3nator (snipenatorgaming) on youtube, the TES tryouts, or Steve Schwindt. Quickscoping has been in CoD in every iteration of the MP. Not only that, but those people I just linked have actual skill. But people won't say that in here. They just want to say it's easy-mode and complain about something that is hard to do and do it well. The hyperbole!

From my personal experience I can count the number of times I was quickscoped in Black ops in the same fashion as MW3 and that would be none, but I cant count the number of times I have been quickscoped in MW3 due to it being so many times.

I like MW3 but I just dont like quick scoping and will never accept it as a "skill" its a stupid compensation given to snipers.

tait269

Hours? Every single person who has MW3 has upload capabilities. Elite. All you need is an account and you can upload small clips there.

Sniper guns do not fire fast at all. Bolt-action guns fire quick in this game? That's news to me. There are a few that have higher fire rates, but they do that in real life too (Barrett .50cal). Oswald proved you can fire bolt-actions fast anyway ;).

Also everyone, who knows this game, knows that killcam doesn't mean anything at all. 9 times out of 10 the killcam doesn't even show what he saw. It's laggy in and of itself. Couple that with host advantage and your connection and what actually happened in the game more than likely isn't what everyone else saw. IW has alot of problems with connectivity and lag. Hopefully they'll fix it soon.

Awesome! I'll check your playercard on elite to make sure you're a noob at sniping if you do pull it off. ;)

Most of my matches quick-scoping have been positive but getting anything over 20 kills without camping its hard. So many hit markers.

aristotle

Most of my matches quick-scoping have been positive but getting anything over 20 kills without camping its hard. So many hit markers.

Right. To me that's normal gameplay (stats-wise). It's fairly easy to keep positive if you have a half-competent team playing. Getting a high kill count is nigh-impossible for the average gamer just by quick-scoping. The really good snipers have high kill counts in games because they're either really skilled or not playing the objective. I don't watch videos of people not playing the objective ;). Steve Schwindt & Snip3nator play the objective and go positive more often than not and use all the tools available to their class to do what they do (drag-scoping, quick-scoping, no scoping, hard-scoping). It is by no means an easy feat like some like to perpetuate.

Some people here think it's extremely easy and everyone can do it though. I have no idea why.

From my personal experience I can count the number of times I was quickscoped in Black ops in the same fashion as MW3 and that would be none, but I cant count the number of times I have been quickscoped in MW3 due to it being so many times.

I like MW3 but I just dont like quick scoping and will never accept it as a "skill" its a stupid compensation given to snipers.

why shouldn't snipers get compensation, their weapons are slow to fire and don't stand much of a chance against subs or ar's up close? subs and ar's are as accurate as snipers at range too. I use ar's almost exclusively. I'm not defending my play style. I just see it as a way to give snipers a chance. up close subs still have a major advantage especially against a crowd.

domstah

Anyone still doing the DewXP card thing?

If so, check out my trades:
http://www.rankupxp.com/Dashboard/Index/cardExchange/1037450366975

As for the game, beside Bootleg and being knife lunged while shooting someone I'm really enjoying this game. I wish they would fix the button prompts in clan tags thing - but I can live with that.

I started experimenting with playing in the Hardcore modes today, and it really does fix a lot of the "Oh that's bullshit" moments.

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
Are they going to make shotguns better? I really hate how the Spas absolutely sucks and the 1887 is really erratic in killing someone with the ironsights.

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.
Almost lvl 50 and there are still 3 maps I haven't played on so far, wtf
Maybe they aren't available in groundwar
That's been the case with past games, so I assume it's the same in MW3. I couldn't imagine Dome with 18 players.

SmokeMaxX

why shouldn't snipers get compensation, their weapons are slow to fire and don't stand much of a chance against subs or ar's up close? subs and ar's are as accurate as snipers at range too. I use ar's almost exclusively. I'm not defending my play style. I just see it as a way to give snipers a chance. up close subs still have a major advantage especially against a crowd.

Why do people think snipers are up close weapons? You're given a secondary for this exact reason. Did you think Pre-patched Akimbo Model 1887s needed more range in MW2 because they couldn't compete at long range against Snipers?

I'll give you a hint- Snipers don't wear Ghillie Suits because they're running around firing from the hips.

XM25 grenade launcher is waaaaay under powered. It should not take 4 grenades to kill an enemy at close range. I understand they are afraid people will just run around with this noob toobing but jesus christ the thing is worthless right now. Give it a buff IW.

eek5

XM25 grenade launcher is waaaaay under powered. It should not take 4 grenades to kill an enemy at close range. I understand they are afraid people will just run around with this noob toobing but jesus christ the thing is worthless right now. Give it a buff IW.

I've actually been using it a lot and it isn't that bad. If you set the distance on it you can do some serious damage. It only takes 1 perfectly placed shot or 2 well placed shots to kill someone. You can kill people with flak jacket in 3-4 shots depending on placement.

One thing you can do is hit LS on someone before you fire to get the distance perfect although this can be tricky. I wish there was a way to make minute adjustments to distance or reset it on the fly.

I do think the gun is overly complicated for what it is though and that pretty much leads to it not being a very viable option. As an anti-camp tool it can be one of the most effective weapons you have though.

kuYuri

It's fine the way it is, buff it up even more and it becomes a 2 hit kill grenade launcher with 16 ammo that shoots super fast. That's insane.

I use it with Recon to paint people and kill the occasional camper with it. I try to stay at a distance and away from corners to maximize its effectiveness.

Oh my god. Most the domination games I play in there's a couple guys on both teams just camping for their killstreaks. It wasn't this bad in blops.

I hate point streaks, in past games you had to be okay at thr game to get killstreaks but now there's always a counter or Uav in the air. I ran Uav/counter/blackbird in blops and advanced Uav is a joke so there's no point in running that.

I loved dominating people and never letting them get even a Uav but now theyll get them regardless of what i do. Can't wait till blops 2.

tigerin

Why do people think snipers are up close weapons? You're given a secondary for this exact reason. Did you think Pre-patched Akimbo Model 1887s needed more range in MW2 because they couldn't compete at long range against Snipers?

I'll give you a hint- Snipers don't wear Ghillie Suits because they're running around firing from the hips.

the maps are smaller and respawning are pretty insane in this game. so give them a chance to survive, will you?

tigerin

It's fine the way it is, buff it up even more and it becomes a 2 hit kill grenade launcher with 16 ammo that shoots super fast. That's insane.

I use it with Recon to paint people and kill the occasional camper with it. I try to stay at a distance and away from corners to maximize its effectiveness.

how's the recon perk? i've never used, how effective is it?

tigerin

Hours? Every single person who has MW3 has upload capabilities. Elite. All you need is an account and you can upload small clips there.

Sniper guns do not fire fast at all. Bolt-action guns fire quick in this game? That's news to me. There are a few that have higher fire rates, but they do that in real life too (Barrett .50cal). Oswald proved you can fire bolt-actions fast anyway ;).

Also everyone, who knows this game, knows that killcam doesn't mean anything at all. 9 times out of 10 the killcam doesn't even show what he saw. It's laggy in and of itself. Couple that with host advantage and your connection and what actually happened in the game more than likely isn't what everyone else saw. IW has alot of problems with connectivity and lag. Hopefully they'll fix it soon.

Awesome! I'll check your playercard on elite to make sure you're a noob at sniping if you do pull it off. ;)

u go gurl! tell them who's boss!!!

eek5

how's the recon perk? i've never used, how effective is it?

Recon is really good. On smaller maps you can throw a concussion grenade and basically light up 3-4 people on the map for ~5-10s. It shows what direction they're looking and their movements to the entire team. With Recon Pro any bullet damage you do will also light people up.

I run G36C+GL, 2 Concussion, XM25. Concussion+XM25 is a really good combo as well since you can light someone up on the minimap then figure out where the best place to shoot the XM25 for an easy kill is. XM25 is probably the easiest way to unlock Recon Pro btw.

tigerin

Recon is really good. On smaller maps you can throw a concussion grenade and basically light up 3-4 people on the map for ~5-10s. It shows what direction they're looking and their movements to the entire team. With Recon Pro any bullet damage you do will also light people up.

I run G36C+GL, 2 Concussion, XM25. Concussion+XM25 is a really good combo as well since you can light someone up on the minimap then figure out where the best place to shoot the XM25 for an easy kill is. XM25 is probably the easiest way to unlock Recon Pro btw.

kool, will try it out.

Xux

Having a gun by usable at any range doesn't seem that bad when ARs do it already and are more reliable at it.

kuYuri

kool, will try it out.

Also to add to eek's post, Recon is the only tool along with Recon Drone that can pick up Assassin users, so if you face a team of at least 3+ people using Assassin, this is the best way to deal with them and help your team.

Combined with Hardline Pro and it's an easier way to get assists towards your next reward.

Xux

Going back to the m16, what if they made closer to the M4 than the Type 95? As it is, it's an M4 with more recoil, one less shot to kill at range, and ruined by the delay between it's bursts. What if they lowered the delay between bursts so it was only a little slower overall than the M4 but Rapid Fire would put it at a little faster overall?

Oh and I used to think the spawning was fucking awful then I realized it was just straight up terrible maps.

The heat maps pretty much confirm that they are poorly designed. You'll see that almost all the maps have about 2-3 hot spots and the rest is pure dead space.

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.
No recoil glitch :|

It's a pretty new discovery, but IW knows about it and will hopefully be taking care of it soon. Robert Bowling mentioned on Twitter that weapon balancing can be done via hotfixes (not title updates), but I don't know about a glitch like this.

He also said that a fix for the clan tag exploit is upcoming, as well as one for lag compensation. The fact that he actually refers to it as lag compensation and not just plain old lag (which could mean anything) has me hopeful that something might actually get done.

DRE Fei

That no recoil glitch is some insane shit. IW already knows about it, so now it boils down to how soon they can fix it. It's weird how they insist on not having betas anymore even though nonsense like this keeps showing up with every new cod game.

Since it's fairly new, I haven't seen anyone doing it yet. I guess I need to watch all kill cams now lol.

Montresor

I just found out you have to play the online multiplayer to unlock Spec Ops missions. Looks like I won't be getting 1000 in this game.

tigerin

I think it's tied with Sleight of Hand for best Perk 1. I don't even use a player-killing launcher (just flash and semtex) and I love it.

what about blind eye? 2nd best?

Also to add to eek's post, Recon is the only tool along with Recon Drone that can pick up Assassin users, so if you face a team of at least 3+ people using Assassin, this is the best way to deal with them and help your team.

Combined with Hardline Pro and it's an easier way to get assists towards your next reward.

so it pretty much team oriented?

tigerin

*Z-snap*

I have no idea what you mean. :D

After trying to get this for awhile, I finally got the stupid emblem/callsign without even trying. I liked how I got it. I didn't think it would work.

Lucky knife

Hopefully the better quality video will render soon.

good job son.

I just found out you have to play the online multiplayer to unlock Spec Ops missions. Looks like I won't be getting 1000 in this game.

c'mon, just try the multi. you know you'll like it. ;)

Anyone still doing the DewXP card thing?

If so, check out my trades:
http://www.rankupxp.com/Dashboard/Index/cardExchange/1037450366975

As for the game, beside Bootleg and being knife lunged while shooting someone I'm really enjoying this game. I wish they would fix the button prompts in clan tags thing - but I can live with that.

I started experimenting with playing in the Hardcore modes today, and it really does fix a lot of the "Oh that's bullshit" moments.

Sent both of you an offer.

Montresor

good job son.

c'mon, just try the multi. you know you'll like it. ;)

Yeah my post was mostly in jest. I'm sure I'll eventually try out the multi. I was so surprised because I did not touch the multiplayer in Modern Warfare 1, Modern Warfare 2, or Black Ops. I was just never interested.

Top Bottom