• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3 |OT| Got 99 Problems, But Sales Ain't One.

Radec

How is the survival mode? I have been playing nothing but multiplayer so I have not had a chance to try it out yet.

Well its like your typical survival mode. You can buy guns, perks, killstreaks. Most are available on higher levels though.

Your HP is like a juggernaut's.

eek5

Trophy takes out predator missles?!

Dude it's hilarious when it happens too. My friend launched one and thought he was going to get a double last night. From my perspective, I could hear the pred coming down and suddenly it just vanished. He had no idea what happened :lol

This is interesting stuff.. so does it even stuff Reaper missles? I may start running this on more classes if it stops alot of the heavier air support.

kuYuri

This is interesting stuff.. so does it even stuff Reaper missles? I may start running this on more classes if it stops alot of the heavier air support.

Yes, it takes out projectiles from Reapers, AC130 shots, IMS, RPG, etc. But it only stops 2 projectiles, so the 25MM shots from AC130 will get rid of them instantly.

Cornbread78

Random MW3 post here, but does anyone have any extra double XP codes left? I saved a bunch of bottles of MT. Dew, but they all got thrown away... AARRGGHH, all I had is one left of Dt. Dew in the car with 15 mins... aarrgghh

How are can people be having trouble with the striker in this game? The thing can wreck teams even if you are just using kick w/grip. If you can't do well with the striker and you couldn't do well with any non-spas12 shotgun in Black Ops, you need to rethink how you are using shotguns.

Patrolling an area isn't camping imo. Real camping is someone going prone in a corner of the map and just sitting there doing nothing except ADS the whole match.
THe problem is that people are looking at at black and white when really it's a scale of movement, with 1 being what you are describing and 10 being someone who doesn't even stop moving when he should. If you are staying in the same 3rd of the map the whole game, then that would be like a 2 or 3.

That doesn't even make any sense. The UZI has always sucked. Why would they need to put a crappy one in there just because?

Also, there's no pre-defined way an AK74u needs to be in this game, considering they just take the real-world look of a gun and then give it whatever shooting characteristics they feel like. It was a laser in Black Ops, but in CoD4 it was an unleashed beast with difficult recoil. We have no idea what they'd do with it this time.
In CoD4 it functioned like an AR. The thing had a lot less recoil than the MP5, but had sway and bigger hipfire (if you used RDS or Silencer). Of course when treyarch put it in black ops with out the sway or attachment penalty it became ridiculously cheap.

how can weapons need a huge adjustment when every gun only takes 3-6 bullets to kill and the rates of fire negate that difference? the guns that kill with 1-2 bullets need to be aimed more accurately and have the disadvantage of single shot or burst firing.
The thing is that just because nothing kills in more than 5 bullets doesn't mean there doesn't need to be changes. When dual FMGs fire more than 2000 bullets per minute and can take down a juggernaut without reloading, they need to be nerfed. When the type 95 is a 1 or 2 burst kill and can pretty much be spammed when using rapid fire, it needs to be nerfed. When the shotguns seem to be useless without range + mags, they need a tweak so that there is incentive to use something besides range + mags.And when the pistols take a ridiculously long time to switch to even with SoH Pro, that needs tweaking.

The less balancing that is done, the less variety you see in the game. If I wanted to see everyone using the same 4 or 5 guns I would be playing halo or gears of war.

How are can people be having trouble with the striker in this game? The thing can wreck teams even if you are just using kick w/grip. If you can't do well with the striker and you couldn't do well with any non-spas12 shotgun in Black Ops, you need to rethink how you are using shotguns.

THe problem is that people are looking at at black and white when really it's a scale of movement, with 1 being what you are describing and 10 being someone who doesn't even stop moving when he should. If you are staying in the same 3rd of the map the whole game, then that would be like a 2 or 3.

In CoD4 it functioned like an AR. The thing had a lot less recoil than the MP5, but had sway and bigger hipfire (if you used RDS or Silencer). Of course when treyarch put it in black ops with out the sway or attachment penalty it became ridiculously cheap.

The thing is that just because nothing kills in more than 5 bullets doesn't mean there doesn't need to be changes. When dual FMGs fire more than 2000 bullets per minute and can take down a juggernaut without reloading, they need to be nerfed. When the type 95 is a 1 or 2 burst kill and can pretty much be spammed when using rapid fire, it needs to be nerfed. When the shotguns seem to be useless without range + mags, they need a tweak so that there is incentive to use something besides range + mags.And when the pistols take a ridiculously long time to switch to even with SoH Pro, that needs tweaking.

The less balancing that is done, the less variety you see in the game. If I wanted to see everyone using the same 4 or 5 guns I would be playing halo or gears of war.

I get what you're saying, and even though what you said is true I've never really experienced any huge disadvantage using one gun over the next. the truth that you speak of is too miniscule to make any impact on the experience over the damage of lag. I suppose if you use juggernaut it could really become annoying, but trading bullets when all you need to kill is three or so then the disadvantage is negligible. in my opinion.

njean777

I'm not confused. I'll hear all sorts of crying from the rushing camp for these balancing issues that need to be fixed that aren't even real issues. of course net code could always be better, but nothing is perfect. I don't have an issue with any aspect of the online game compared to the bullshit perks and killstreaks from MW2, and that ass net code from back ops. I don't care if rushers exist or not. I will get my kills either way because I don't sit in a corner. I kill tons of campers, just the same as rushers.

I just don't hear as much complaining from any other groups about this game than rushers. which is strange because the perk systems and killstreak system cater to rushers.

how can weapons need a huge adjustment when every gun only takes 3-6 bullets to kill and the rates of fire negate that difference? the guns that kill with 1-2 bullets need to be aimed more accurately and have the disadvantage of single shot or burst firing.

The biggest problems rushers have is the net code, the compensation lag kills rushing sometimes do to not being able to react to a persons shot if you die in 2 shots. The Type 95 is OP and needs a nerf since the hip fire is way to accurate. There is an outcry because the lag compensation kills the option of rushing if lag is always present.

LeMaximilian

Alligator F*ck House
The biggest problems rushers have is the net code, the compensation lag kills rushing sometimes do to not being able to react to a persons shot if you die in 2 shots. The Type 95 is OP and needs a nerf since the hip fire is way to accurate. There is an outcry because the lag compensation kills the option of rushing if lag is always present.

This, this and this.

I've experienced hiccups in the net code as much as the next guy, but I haven't had any issues using any weapons especially if I am armed with the appropriate perks. I've been able to stop akimbo fmg9's, type 95's, and shotties all day long, given my connection is decent. but I hardly ever run and gun so I rarely get caught off guard.

I've experienced hiccups in the net code as much as the next guy, but I haven't had any issues using any weapons especially if I am armed with the appropriate perks. I've been able to stop akimbo fmg9's, type 95's, and shotties all day long, given my connection is decent. but I hardly ever run and gun so I rarely get caught off guard.

smh.

I get what you're saying, and even though what you said is true I've never really experienced any huge disadvantage using one gun over the next. the truth that you speak of is too miniscule to make any impact on the experience over the damage of lag. I suppose if you use juggernaut it could really become annoying, but trading bullets when all you need to kill is three or so then the disadvantage is negligible. in my opinion.
But why shouldn't IW at least make some tweaks to encourage people to use most of the primaries in this game? They need to spend money on better servers just for MW3, but if they are willing to tweak shit that involves glitches as soon as they hear about it they clearly are capable of spending time to tweaks the stats of weapons that are overpowered/underpowered.

When I don't get the kill with my shotgun entirely because the guy I shot at has dual machine pistols and is firing 34 bullets at me per second (and after the first switch, those machine pistols take as long to switch to as a regular pistol) I have a right to call it cheap.

When my PM9 doesn't kill a guy at close range because he was able to hipfire spam his type 95 until he got an instakill burst on me, that needs to be fixed.

When I am forced to use the same attachment and proficiency on my shotgun classes because everything that isn't the striker does a lot worse without extended mags and range, there needs to be a buff to the shotguns and a fix on the extended mags glitch.

One of my points was that the shotguns need a buff (except the striker), not a nerf so that I am not forced to use extended mags and range on them every time.

njean777

Nobody is arguing that you can not stop them at all, they are arguing that due to the net code some kills feel cheap and that more often then not its not their fault that they died.

eek5

Just because you can stop something doesn't mean it doesn't need to be balanced . The T95 is a 3 shot burst weapon that can deal a potential of 165 damage up close and with rapid fire can be fired very quickly and accurately from the hip. I wouldn't even put it near the same category as a weapon like the M14.

The akimbo FMGs have a faster rate of fire than single FMG (PER FMG!!) with the same hip spread giving it HIGHER than double the DPS of a single FMG. This makes it superior to a lot of the primaries in the game. What's the point of overkill again? What's the point of pistols again?

aku:jiki

You're misremembering.

MP5 - ACR-like accuracy:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7kWIde28EkQ
AK74u - very jumpy recoil, like the 47 in MW3:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sHPmrgMYmHw

Sway is a complete non-issue in this series, I have no idea why people keep bringing it up. It's especially irrelevant on an SMG. When you're 10 feet away, what does it matter if you're hitting his lung or his kidney?

Riposte

Oh and kill confirmed would be a great game type if people played it. I look at lobby leader boards and people don't even confirm half their kills and in the game they don't even use them as bait, they simply stay in their corner and never pick them up.

I've been slowing down on picking them up because running and gunning seems so weak in this game. Hardcore Kill Confirmed is a whole other story.

They should make it so you don't get your killstreak until the kill is confirmed. Maybe lower the number of points from kills and up from picking up tags.

I've been slowing down on picking them up because running and gunning seems so weak in this game. Hardcore Kill Confirmed is a whole other story.

They should make it so you don't get your killstreak until the kill is confirmed. Maybe lower the number of points from kills and up from picking up tags.

Some guy boosted to get a MOAB in a Jill confirmed match And the guy he killed 30 some times had like 8000 points with 5 kills. How is that possible in that gametype?

You're misremembering.

MP5 - ACR-like accuracy:
here's a different MP5 video from the same guy:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xk2djQ_oYao

0:35 you can see that the recoil is very jumping even when he tries to manage it in bursts.
1:50 you can see the recoil again.
4:12 you can see Blame Truth talking about the MP5's crappy bullet penetration (the 74u gets the same penetration stats as an AR)

In that video:
1:17 you can see that the recoil is always up and to the right slightly but only makes it harder to see your target. He's able to get a long range shot without resorting to burst firing because of the 74u's low recoil.
Same at 2:02
And it's even easier to get guys at a distance when you are doing much more damage through walls.

Sway is a complete non-issue in this series, I have no idea why people keep bringing it up. It's especially irrelevant on an SMG. When you're 10 feet away, what does it matter if you're hitting his lung or his kidney?

It doesn't matter for close range, but sometimes you will try and get someone at long range with an SMG. That's where it made the difference.

Nobody is arguing that you can not stop them at all, they are arguing that due to the net code some kills feel cheap and that more often then not its not their fault that they died.

I feel I get cheap killed half of the time I die. but not because any gun is OP, but because lag exists. I am not saying that some weapons don't feel more powerful than others but in each class you have a weapon that is at least as effective as the next class. the skill of this game isn't from keeping your aiming locked down. that is for halo or resistance or uncharted. the skill is either quick reflexes (depending on lag) or using tactics. if your tactics involve flanking a group then it doesn't matter who's gun deals more damage. what matters is that you achieve the element of surprise and first draw. of course it sucks losing a head to head battle, but it happens more because of lag and not because one gun is superior or someone reacted faster. some times it is a matter of reaction, but who can say when that is bound to the problems of playing online. if everybody was playing lan then weapon balancing would be a larger issue.

everybody knows what it feels like to be gunned down by a pistol, and felt that the bullets came from a shotgun because it felt like one giant blast. if net code was perfect then I would run and gun more. that is how I play locally, but playing over the internet, and spending most of my time in tdm, I like to support a win as much as possible, which means as few deaths as possible with as many kills possible.

so I slow my tactics down to support that goal. gun balancing becomes less of an issue, and lag becomes the weakest link. I'd rather end up in the middle of the pack with a decent kdr than end up first with close to a negative kdr.

if they change the balance of the weapons, fine. it won't effect me. so I don't care either way. if they nerf guns that I like to the point they are unusable then I switch weapons. in the end something will work, and as long as i don't have to worry about unlimited rockets, tubes, or claymores I'm good.

Any MK14 users use rapid fire on it? In theory it sounds useless being a single shot gun but if you have a quick finger, it helps I think. That's the thing, any documented saying rapid fire helps with that gun?

eek5

Any MK14 users use rapid fire on it? In theory it sounds useless being a single shot gun but if you have a quick finger, it helps I think. That's the thing, any documented saying rapid fire helps with that gun?

If you're having issues with the M14 skipping shots then you should add RF. I tried it out a bit in a private match and I'm sticking with silencer+red dot

Finished MW2 and 3 campaigns in a row today. About five hours and a half for each campaign. It was like a rollercoaster ride : a bit short, but filled with thrill and fun. I found them much much better than the Battlefield 3 campaign.

I was a bit disappointed by the graphics, playing MW3 just after MW2 felt like it was the same game althogether. I think I wouldn't even distinguish one from the other if you showed me screenshots. The game felt really fluid even though there was a billion things on screen, that was nice.

Madtown_

You're misremembering.

MP5 - ACR-like accuracy:

MP5 and AK74u in cod4 both had plenty of recoil. AK's was far more predictable, but it lost some of it's thunder with a silencer or dot-sight. That's probably the main reason the MP5 was so popular.
Using a red-dot or silencer increased the Ak's hip spread to AR, and gave it sway...so those pop-shots from across Crossfire (and etc...) weren't really possible with the AK (unless it was naked), but they were easy with the MP5.

gioGAF

"Infinity Ward" (or what's left of them) should be focusing on making the multiplayer run as smoothly as possible FIRST AND FOREMOST (ie. fix spawns, get rid of lag compensation, improve hit detection, basically improve consistency in all aspects).

Instead they have some ridiculous fixation on "weapon balance", who gives a f*** about weapon balance (which is debatable) when the game is lagging horribly, I'm 1 second behind the other player or someone spawns in front of me / behind me.

Seriously, as a mainly G36c user I could care less about the T95 or akimbo FNG9s. I care about knowing someone is around a corner and being dead as soon as or BEFORE I even see them. I care about taking cover around a corner and dying 5 meters around said cover. I care about all the 1vs1 confrontations in which I empty the magazine into the opponent, only to have them kill me then show me a killcam in which I never even fired a shot. I care about spawning in my opponents line of sight.

FIX PERFORMANCE FIRST. If you want to mess with weapon balance, do it AFTER you fix the MOST IMPORTANT issues.

Desaan

Being the host is like being given the keys to the sweet shop. In a twitch based game where good reactions are often the difference between a kill and being killed, latency rules all.

So why do Activision use P2P hosting? Is it still 1997? The answer is they don't really give a shit, they just want your hard earned money and nothing else, why would THEY pay for dedicated server hosting? Because it would cost them money and that's just not Activision. IW on the other hand may care, seeing as it's their studio getting slated for shitty netcode and at times insanely random regional matchmaking. I'm in the UK and I've been placed in games with people far and wide, from the UAE to South Africa. Mind boggling.

Unless I see the words 'dedicated server hosting for consoles' in the next MW, this franchise can go die in a fire.

eek5

"Infinity Ward" (or what's left of them) should be focusing on making the multiplayer run as smoothly as possible FIRST AND FOREMOST (ie. fix spawns, get rid of lag compensation, improve hit detection, basically improve consistency in all aspects).

Instead they have some ridiculous fixation on "weapon balance", who gives a f*** about weapon balance (which is debatable) when the game is lagging horribly, I'm 1 second behind the other player or someone spawns in front of me / behind me.

Seriously, as a mainly G36c user I could care less about the T95 or akimbo FNG9s. I care about knowing someone is around a corner and being dead as soon as or BEFORE I even see them. I care about taking cover around a corner and dying 5 meters around said cover. I care about all the 1vs1 confrontations in which I empty the magazine into the opponent, only to have them kill me then show me a killcam in which I never even fired a shot. I care about spawning in my opponents line of sight.

FIX PERFORMANCE FIRST. If you want to mess with weapon balance, do it AFTER you fix the MOST IMPORTANT issues.
You act like they can't work on multiple things at once. They can push out hot fixes for weapon balance but they can't do that for lag or spawns. Also, adjusting values on weapons is way easier than tooling with code.

I doubt the people working on the backend with spawns, lag, etc. even deal with the weapon values and balancing. What, do you think there is only one person working at IW?

aku:jiki, if you don't want to believe my words here's the actual numbers on the recoil of the MP5 and AK74u in CoD4 and Black Ops:
http://i671.photobucket.com/albums/vv77/HeyDen/Range.png
http://denkirson.xanga.com/735016527/black-ops/

When Treyarch put the MP5k and AK74u in Black Ops, they literally copy and pasted the stats for the two guns in the previous games. Recoil unchanged from CoD4, Damage unchanged from CoD4. Only difference was that Black Ops didn't have the sway and attachment penalty, and as a result the gun was being used by everyone in that game. You weren't seeing people calling the MP5K with extended mags and rapid fire cheap.

You act like they can't work on multiple things at once. They can push out hot fixes for weapon balance but they can't do that for lag or spawns. Also, adjusting values on weapons is way easier than tooling with code.

I doubt the people working on the backend with spawns, lag, etc. even deal with the weapon values and balancing. What, do you think there is only one person working at IW?
This. If treyarch was able to manage and improve the connections and spawns while also working on weapon balance then IW can do the same.

eek5

What is the "best" sniper in the game?

A lot of people like the RSASS or whatever because it has the least recoil and has the easiest follow up shot of all the sniper rifles. I personally like the ones with body OHKs though because I have terrible aim.

Wish there were a few really small maps (think Shipment/Killhouse) to make offline split screen a bit more varied and faster. Arkaden and Dome are really the only ones that work with few people.

rCIZZLE

Being the host is like being given the keys to the sweet shop. In a twitch based game where good reactions are often the difference between a kill and being killed, latency rules all.

So why do Activision use P2P hosting? Is it still 1997? The answer is they don't really give a shit, they just want your hard earned money and nothing else, why would THEY pay for dedicated server hosting? Because it would cost them money and that's just not Activision. IW on the other hand may care, seeing as it's their studio getting slated for shitty netcode and at times insanely random regional matchmaking. I'm in the UK and I've been placed in games with people far and wide, from the UAE to South Africa. Mind boggling.

Unless I see the words 'dedicated server hosting for consoles' in the next MW, this franchise can go die in a fire.

Most games don't have dedicated servers provided for free and ALL game developers want your money with the least amount of cost on their end. Nobody wants to give deds but Activision just gets more shit since their game has the best sales. What games even have deds on console that have a similar number of players per game? Gears 3 is the only one that comes to mind and they had possibly the biggest "host advantage" problem ever in the history of online gaming.

Dedicated servers aren't some magical fix to lag either. I played CS for 6 years and CONSTANTLY heard people bitching about "reg" aka hit detection. Sometimes people have to realize that they aren't perfect and can miss shots they thought should have hit.

Most games don't have dedicated servers provided for free and ALL game developers want your money with the least amount of cost on their end. Nobody wants to give deds but Activision just gets more shit since their game has the best sales. What games even have deds on console that have a similar number of players per game? Gears 3 is the only one that comes to mind and they had possibly the biggest "host advantage" problem ever in the history of online gaming.

Dedicated servers aren't some magical fix to lag either. I played CS for 6 years and CONSTANTLY heard people bitching about "reg" aka hit detection. Sometimes people have to realize that they aren't perfect and can miss shots they thought should have hit.

Battlefield 3

This guy is right on the fucking money.

I LOVED MW2. Played it for hundreds of hours. I've played MW3 for a total of six hours because I couldn't get past the horrible lagging games. Dunno why MW3 is so fucked up compared to MW2, but I wish I enjoyed it as much as its predecessor.

As of now the game is practically unplayable for me.

Even after all the time, I am still shocked at some of the Xbox gamertags I see on Call of Duty. These are some of the ones I've seen tonight.

-- "THEnappiestNIG"
-- "j3wPorchM0NK3Y"
-- "noscopecumshots"

The "j3wPorchM0NK3Y" one is a six-year account. How has that not been flagged in six years?!

Top Bottom