• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3 |OT| Got 99 Problems, But Sales Ain't One.

kuYuri

I like how people claim that everyone used the Famas in Black ops, yet it's not even the gun I've been killed with the most. Neither is the 74u, the Galil or the L96. And Ghost was never a problem for me thanks to the Blackbird and the openness of the maps. Yet in MW3, Assassin Pro is immune to everything (even EMP and Marskmen lol) except Recon.

But besides gun balance, there's also killstreak balance, map balance and perk balance. Things I think that MW3 really lacks at the moment.

So Ghost Pro isn't a problem because Blackbird counters it, but Assassin Pro is a problem, even though Recon (and Recon Drone) counter it?

Ok.

So Ghost Pro isn't a problem because Blackbird counters it, but Assassin Pro is a problem, even though Recon (and Recon Drone) counter it?

Ok.

The maps also benefit Assassin Pro more. Assassin Pro also counters more. If Assassin Pro didn't counter EMP and Counter UAV, it wouldn't be as annoying.

kuYuri

The maps also benefit Assassin Pro more. Assassin Pro also counters more. If Assassin Pro didn't counter EMP and Counter UAV, it wouldn't be as annoying.

While immunity to EMP and CUAV jamming is a nice perk, it's nowhere near as "overpowered" as the non-pro stuff. If a CUAV is in effect, you don't gain the benefits of UAV, AUAV, etc., only when opponents fire their non-silenced weapon can you actually spot them on the mini-map. Pointstreaks can't be called by an Assassin Pro user if an EMP is in effect, which is the most important ability of an EMP in addition to destroying all opponent pointstreaks.

At the end of the day, if you think Ghost Pro is somehow "not a problem" just because of the existence of the Blackbird as a counter, there's absolutely no reason one wouldn't think the same of Assassin (Pro) when there are already two viable counters for it.

While immunity to EMP and CUAV jamming is a nice perk, it's nowhere near as "overpowered" as the non-pro stuff. If a CUAV is in effect, you don't gain the benefits of UAV, AUAV, etc., only when opponents fire their non-silenced weapon can you actually spot them on the mini-map. Pointstreaks can't be called by an Assassin Pro user if an EMP is in effect, which is the most important ability of an EMP in addition to destroying all opponent pointstreaks.

At the end of the day, if you think Ghost Pro is somehow "not a problem" just because of the existence of the Blackbird as a counter, there's absolutely no reason one wouldn't think the same of Assassin (Pro) when there are already two viable counters for it.

They both have 2 counters (though I wouldn't call Recon Drone viable), but Assassin Pro counter's more things that matter.

Stantron

More viable than the Blackbird. Only good players and lucky players get Blackbirds. Anyone can get a Recon Drone.

Blackbird over Recon Drone all day, everyday. BB = set it and forget it. RD = take yourself out of the gun game. And you may not even get an assassin player since he may also have blind eye.

aku:jiki

I like how people claim that everyone used the Famas in Black ops, yet it's not even the gun I've been killed with the most. Neither is the 74u, the Galil or the L96. And Ghost was never a problem for me thanks to the Blackbird and the openness of the maps. Yet in MW3, Assassin Pro is immune to everything (even EMP and Marskmen lol) except Recon.

But besides gun balance, there's also killstreak balance, map balance and perk balance. Things I think that MW3 really lacks at the moment.
The Blackbird was pretty much the most unbalanced thing in the entire game! It didn't have any counter aside from a counter UAV, and any even barely competent team always took your CUAV out immediately if they had a BB up. That's pretty much the definition of shitty balance. There's a damn good reason why the advanced UAV is less powerful and can be shot down in MW3.

Radec

How many shots does the AH-6 overwatch can take ?

Last month it only takes like 1 stinger to take 1 down, but now even 2 stingers is not enough. The fuck ?

What does any of that mean?

It means that I usually shoot first and die first, then see my killcam which shows that I didn't shoot at all. I can't play run and gun because I just lose all the time.

What happened - as in, Black Ops was fine connection wise, what happened?

R2D4

Banned
It means that I usually shoot first and die first, then see my killcam which shows that I didn't shoot at all. I can't play run and gun because I just lose all the time.

What happened - as in, Black Ops was fine connection wise, what happened?

I don't know. Every COD has been like that. I can't count how many times I've been shot behind a corner or running behind a wall.

I don't know. Every COD has been like that. I can't count how many times I've been shot behind a corner or running behind a wall.

It's not even that, though. I'm used to getting shot like that, or by a head from behind a box - but it's actually affecting general gameplay rather than a few instances now. I struggle to go positive because I get the drop on people then get killed by them. The killcam then shows that I just saunter around then get shot...

R2D4

Banned
It's not even that, though. I'm used to getting shot like that, or by a head from behind a box - but it's actually affecting general gameplay rather than a few instances now. I struggle to go positive because I get the drop on people then get killed by them. The killcam then shows that I just saunter around then get shot...

Well this games lag compensation is more strict that the others. Or so they say. So having that super fast fiber connection might be hurting you and rewarding people with a slower connection that get the drop on you.

Hanmik

I have severe connection issues on my PS3 with this game.. I tried 15 games yesterday.. I lagged like crazy in every game.. it is not even normal lag.. The screen freezes but I can run around fine, untill it unfreezes and I am dead or in a totally different place.. it sucks.. some of the lag is because of some router issues (I have Nat 2 and a 10/1mb connection), but most certainly a lot comes from the stupid lag compensation shit..

Madtown_

The Blackbird is the most overpowered killstreak in CoD history. In fact, was the main factor I got turned off of BO. No counters besides another killsteak? C'mon. It's a joke, just like the supposed gun 'balance' and PS3 porting team.

Like I said before, at least the MW games have variety to them. There is very little with Black Ops. Most skilled players ran an AR with Blackbird, CG, Dogs. Rinse and repeat, every. single. game.

I like how people claim that everyone used the Famas in Black ops, yet it's not even the gun I've been killed with the most. Neither is the 74u, the Galil or the L96.
What is it then. It's either going to be one of those or an AR. You're going to have a hard time convincing us that you were mostly killed by the skorpion or spectre.

And Ghost was never a problem for me thanks to the Blackbird and the openness of the maps.
I will say the one thing that I like about Ghost Pro, and that's the fact that when you saw the ghillie you immediately knew not to expect to see him from the UAV/spyplane wave.

But there was just too much stuff that it was useful for, though. One you had the pro version, you didn't have to worry about any of your opponents killstreaks except for the napalm strike.

Yet in MW3, Assassin Pro is immune to everything (even EMP and Marskmen lol) except Recon.

As I said, they should have moved the EMP and CUAV resistance to Blast Shield Pro, but that was mostly as a way to buff Blast Shield. The only reason Recon Pro isn't used more is because people assume that getting the pro version is more tedious than it actually is.

But besides gun balance, there's also killstreak balance,

Chopper Gunner was still cheap in Blops, especially since you had to have a pro perk just to be invisible to it. Napalm was too powerful for a 5 kill-streak, especially in objective modes like demolition. Blackbird's only counter was a killstreak. The attack dogs were OHKs, which was annoying when combined with shitty hit detection against dogs. And then you had the shitty airspace where you literally were limited to exactly one chopper at a time.

map balance

This I agree with you on, although Nuketown and Hazard are shitty maps and Resistance and Fallen are great maps.

and perk balance.

No. MW3's only perk imbalance is the shitty-ness of blast-shield, the overpowered secondaries (which leads to Overkill being useless) and the fact that there isn't incentive to use quickdraw if you are using a shotgun or SMG. Hardline pro is just as good as Assassin Pro. The blue perks are perfectly balanced (excluding the shitty ammo they gave the AA-12 without scavenger), and green perks are also perfectly balanced. Marksman is only useful to people who do long range, steady aim for close range, stalker for people who like to use strafing for both long range and short range, dead silence for stealth, and sitrep for detecting dangers.

Meanwhile in Blops half of the green perks were pretty much useless and the blue slot was only good for Ghost and maybe flak jacket.

Ok.

This too. You can't call Ghost Pro fair when the only counter to it is an 8 kill-streak.

Well this games lag compensation is more strict that the others. Or so they say. So having that super fast fiber connection might be hurting you and rewarding people with a slower connection that get the drop on you.

Same thing happens on my connection at home. Only seems to be MW3 that does it.

It's annoying because I'd love to play it...

winnarps

What is the best AR to use with suppressor only? and what weapon proficiency would you use on it.

I'm using ACR 6.8 w/ suppressor and kick right now.

Type95 w/ Attachments (Suppressor + Rapid Fire) is, IMO, the best AR setup in the game. The Type95's iron sights are very easy to use.

If you're just going with Suppressor though, drop Rapid Fire for Impact, Focus, or Stability, depending on your preference. I would choose Focus over the others in most situations though. Flinching can mess with your aim a lot in medium- or long-distance gun fights.

Blackbird over Recon Drone all day, everyday. BB = set it and forget it. RD = take yourself out of the gun game. And you may not even get an assassin player since he may also have blind eye.

All blind eye does is take away the Red Arrow, meaning you won't see them through walls. They still are easy to spot and tag, though.

And the whole "take yourself out of the gun game" is why it's a support killstreak. It's to make shitty players useful by having them spend time tagging enemies for you.

This lag compensation talk is absolute nonsense. I have 2 xboxes at my house: One is wired and the other is floors above the router on a wireless connection. Even though I get a 4 bar on both consoles, I get better speeds with my wired xbox which results in games that have noticeably less lag and better hit registration.

Having a good connection DOES NOT encumber you in this game.

Madtown_

This lag compensation talk is absolute nonsense. I have 2 xboxes at my house: One is wired and the other is floors above the router on a wireless connection. Even though I get a 4 bar on both consoles, I get better speeds with my wired xbox which results in games that have noticeably less lag and better hit registration.

I agree, although I haven't had host, where the issue is most prevalent supposedly.

When I switched my connection from wireless to wired, I started having better, less-laggy games immediately.

Sushen

It's by far the worst feature of the game. A good intention ended up with idiotic result. Things like this make me miss the original team. What do you expect from fill ins? I guess triarch is becoming the main team...

I agree, although I haven't had host, where the issue is most prevalent supposedly.

When I switched my connection from wireless to wired, I started having better, less-laggy games immediately.

I'm not sure how to tell if you have host in this game, but I've definitely had games where I felt like I did.

The whole thing about lag compensation just got blown way out of proportion. It almost seems like someone made a snide remark somewhere along the lines of, "god the lag in this game is so bad, I bet it actually benefits you to have a bad connection", and then that sentiment snowballed across the internet until people started believing it was true.

Fact is, most people don't even understand how lag compensation works. It doesn't slow down players with a faster connection. WHAT IT DOES DO is try to compensate for the lag of the player with the worse connection by predicting where he is on a map given how many milli-seconds behind his connection to the host is. If anything players should be begging Infinity Ward to improve their lag compensation system, because every time you get killed even though you thought you were safely behind a wall, that my friends is lag compensation failing you.

aku:jiki

I'm not sure how to tell if you have host in this game, but I've definitely had games where I felt like I did.
The thing with MW3, though, is that "feeling like you're host" is a bad thing. When you get host in this game, it's like everyone is 2 full seconds ahead of you. You can never kill anyone you're not approaching from the back and everything instakills you.

It's true that the net has latched on to the term "lag compensation" too much, but that doesn't change the fact that this game has serious lag issues that it inherited from Black Ops, with whatever this new netcode is (which was probably introduced to facilitate theater mode). It's extremely disappointing to me, as I was hoping it would re-use the glorious netcode from MW2. :(

Karl2177

This was one of the main things I cared about. It's too bad it didn't or couldn't happen. As you said, probably due to theater.

If theatre wasn't tied to online, then it wouldn't be quite so bad. Theatre in Halo doesn't affect the netcode at all, since it basically records the game status every frame locally.

The whole thing about lag compensation just got blown way out of proportion. It almost seems like someone made a snide remark somewhere along the lines of, "god the lag in this game is so bad, I bet it actually benefits you to have a bad connection", and then that sentiment snowballed across the internet until people started believing it was true.

Fact is, most people don't even understand how lag compensation works. It doesn't slow down players with a faster connection. WHAT IT DOES DO is try to compensate for the lag of the player with the worse connection by predicting where he is on a map given how many milli-seconds behind his connection to the host is. If anything players should be begging Infinity Ward to improve their lag compensation system, because every time you get killed even though you thought you were safely behind a wall, that my friends is lag compensation failing you.
The only time the lag compensation bothers me is when I am the host. Want to know how you are host. If you are playing in the same lobby with the same guys and doing quite well and then the next game every time you get into a firefight you start losing, chances are you've been picked for host.

Fortunately for me, when I'm playing with my clanmates, one of them is usually host. On the weekends though when I get up early and play I'll have that experience and it's horrible. I'll be playing up to my normal standards, then same group of guys and the game loads and I can instantly tell something is off. I'll back out and almost every time I see the "finding new host" screen when I'm leaving, meaning of course it's because I was the host.

R2D4

Banned

Then there must be no lag compensation because that happens every game every death that takes place around a corner.

This. I have tried playing this game in two different rooms as well. One room uses a direct connection to the main router (one that connects to the modem) with a 25 ft cable. The other is a room on the top floor of the house that uses a 50-75 ft wire to connect to a port that then goes through a 100 ft cable all the way to the main router. There is no lag compensation unless you get lucky enough to get host in which case that's just the usual case of host advantage given to a good connection with massive ping.

The only thing that makes me think there is some other factor is that there is a house in a much more rural area that for some reason has a better connection than you would expect usually, but I suspect it just has to do with the fact that I get host a lot more often there.

Actually, there was lag compensation before. There was even a video where a guy proved it by increasing his ping 250 ms (probably by switching a 75 ft wire) and found he was doing a lot better. But that was fixed a while ago.

I can forgive getting killed if a had only been behind the wall for a fraction of a second. What I have a bigger problem with is when my shots aren't counted as having hit the opponent when this happens:

1) I fire a few bullets
2) I get hit while firing, causing recoil that is making me shoot above or to the side of the enemy
3) I get killed and don't even get a hitmarker
4) the killcam shows I was firing, which according to my perspective, was clearly on target and if I wasn't killed I would have gotten hitmarkers for those first few shots I fired.

The thing with MW3, though, is that "feeling like you're host" is a bad thing. When you get host in this game, it's like everyone is 2 full seconds ahead of you. You can never kill anyone you're not approaching from the back and everything instakills you.

Whenever I get host I find that the exact opposite is true. I end up having more time to be out in the open until that sniper will kill me and if I am using shotgun I find that I have an easier time getting kills.

It was definitely in Black Ops to some degree, but the real connection issue with black ops was that you could see in the kill-cams that the servers would simply ignore half of your shots (hence your gun firing slower and less consistently in the kill-cams), making low damage, high RoF guns useless. I never see this problem in MW3 unless there is a connection problem going on.

If theatre wasn't tied to online, then it wouldn't be quite so bad. Theatre in Halo doesn't affect the netcode at all, since it basically records the game status every frame locally.

Lets not kid ourselves here. Halo doesn't have as many lag complaints because:
1) Less people are playing Halo, which means a lower chance of complaints
2) Halo was never meant to be as seriously played these days. In halo you aren't supposed to care that there's a guy who grabbed the sword and is easily getting a sword spree because later you'll get your revenge with the rocket launcher.
3) Halo doesn't have as many people playing against each other per match
4) Guns aren't as accurate in halo. No pinpoint accurate ironsight.
5) Guns take a lot longer to kill, so no matter what you almost always get a chance to react. And for stuff that could have pissed people off (melee) they made it so that if it's close enough you will both die.

Sushen

The thing is that those of us with good connections have the same experience as those with bad connections. This down averaging is messed up. I have no problem everyone having good network experience. I have a BIG problem if they bring those problems to everyone including those who never had the problem.

Lets not kid ourselves here. Halo doesn't have as many lag complaints because:
1) Less people are playing Halo, which means a lower chance of complaints
2) Halo was never meant to be as seriously played these days. In halo you aren't supposed to care that there's a guy who grabbed the sword and is easily getting a sword spree because later you'll get your revenge with the rocket launcher.
3) Halo doesn't have as many people playing against each other per match
4) Guns aren't as accurate in halo. No pinpoint accurate ironsight.
5) Guns take a lot longer to kill, so no matter what you almost always get a chance to react. And for stuff that could have pissed people off (melee) they made it so that if it's close enough you will both die.
Let's continue to not kid ourselves here. Halo Reach has a fucking fantastic netcode. About one of the only things it does right, but it does it very well.

Let's continue to not kid ourselves here. Halo Reach has a fucking fantastic netcode. About one of the only things it does right, but it does it very well.

It's a lot easier to not have problems when guns don't kill in a fraction of a second and stuff that could have otherwise led to problems is solved with a tie.

I'm sure halo has better servers, I'm just not sure it's the reason you don't see people rage in halo as much.

Top Bottom