• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3 |OT| Got 99 Problems, But Sales Ain't One.

Veins

Unconfirmed Member
Rainy Dog said:
Have you adjusted the ingame Brightness setting in the menu's? When it says to adjust so that a certain letter/box/shape is barely visible, it means just that; barely. Otherwise your gamma will be out of whack and the image will be flat and washed out.

In MW2 I had to nudge it down a good few notches on my calibrated telly, Blops had to go all the way down to the bottom if I remember correctly.
Hmm good idea, will check that out. Knock it down a few notches or something.

So I caved in and bought the PC version. I was originally planning to get the PS3 version only but will get it later in the month or next month (I have quite a few friends that play it on there). Will download it after work and hoping to get in a few matches! :)

styl3s

Picking it up at redbox in a bit, really interested in the SP but don't much care for the MP or all that elite stuff.

Glad to hear the framerate is solid on PS3.

Radec

After playing my first game and doing a 6-12 score. I managed to get 32-12 on my second.

Fuck I love this game.

Anyone tried to purchase using their prestige tokens ?

legacyzero

Banned
ZeroRay said:
So how's the MP?

Better than MW2, COD4?

Always loved COD's core mechanics, but the bullshit in MW2 and Blops kinda burned me on the franchise for me.

I played about 10 matches last night (before passing out into a coma lol).

PROS
-The guns are amazing. Great feel, great sound, great variety
-The game seems way more balanced. When they say "gun on gun" they meant it.
-The killstreaks are exponentially better than MW2. I was worried that they would be worse than MW2, but was surprised. I wasn't getting constantly destroyed by some KS in the air. Support class is amazing.
-Grenade launchers are VERY underpowered at the moment. Out of the 7 or so encounters in which I used the grenade launcher, only one of those was a kill, and that was AFTER I warmed him up with my M4 first and freaked out thinking he would kill me first.
-People are complaining about high bullet damage. I think it's just right.
-The maps are enjoyable so far. Balanced, reduced verticallity, and variety.

CONS
-Some of the maps seem to be a bit too corridor like, but it isn't necessarily bad. My favorite map (so far) is Mission, which flows nicely, but is the most corridor like of the ones I played
-COD Elite is on the fritz right now lol.

It's early yet, and the exploit finding douche bags are probably hard at work. But so far though, I'd say the game is more on par with COD4 which makes me a very happy man. Hope this helps the Gaffers that dont have it yet, and are on the fence about purchase. Damn you Activision, you got me again ;(

Touch

Half way done with first prestige. Surprisingly, I don't really have any complaints. Well, no major ones at least. I really like the maps, weapons etc. The grind to level 80 might get tiresome. About to go make the push to 50 to unlock the ACR.

D

Deleted member 81567

Unconfirmed Member
Awaiting my copy today. It's probably the last COD game I'm getting.

eek5

Radec said:
After playing my first game and doing a 6-12 score. I managed to get 32-12 on my second.

Fuck I love this game.

Anyone tried to purchase using their prestige tokens ?
I bought 3 custom classes

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Finally got into elite, it's pretty damned indepth and looks to give bungie.net a run for its money. Good on them.

If more devs don't do this kind of thing and have a "theater mode" they won't keep fans. This type of thing drives player investment.

FGMPR

Banned
Game is a laggy piece of shit. Thanks IW for making the pointless, bullshit decision of getting rid of ranked dedi's...

Angry Fork

legacyzero said:
It's early yet, and the exploit finding douche bags are probably hard at work. But so far though, I'd say the game is more on par with COD4 which makes me a very happy man.
Thumbs up.gif

Words like these are making me optimistic. Can't wait to try it out later today.

Kandrick

GAF's Ed McMahon
Good god, i tried a few domination matches, it's garbage. Maps are so tiny that you are 2-3 seconds away from the others flags all the time, it's madness.

styl3s

Noriega said:
You're not the first to say that
I said that after MW1 because i hated the online, i don't care for the whole leveling up/perk BS and i haven't bought a COD game since MW1.

I will rent it however because i actually enjoyed the SP of MW and MW2, the online doesn't interest me at all.

Kandrick said:
Good god, i tried a few domination matches, it's garbage. Maps are so tiny that you are 2-3 seconds away from the others flags all the time, it's madness.

This is something Im worried about. I watched two videos last night and that really jumped out at me. Seemed like the the points ranged from too close to WAY too close.

legacyzero said:
I played about 10 matches last night (before passing out into a coma lol).

PROS
-The guns are amazing. Great feel, great sound, great variety
-The game seems way more balanced. When they say "gun on gun" they meant it.
-The killstreaks are exponentially better than MW2. I was worried that they would be worse than MW2, but was surprised. I wasn't getting constantly destroyed by some KS in the air. Support class is amazing.
-Grenade launchers are VERY underpowered at the moment. Out of the 7 or so encounters in which I used the grenade launcher, only one of those was a kill, and that was AFTER I warmed him up with my M4 first and freaked out thinking he would kill me first.
-People are complaining about high bullet damage. I think it's just right.
-The maps are enjoyable so far. Balanced, reduced verticallity, and variety.

CONS
-Some of the maps seem to be a bit too corridor like, but it isn't necessarily bad. My favorite map (so far) is Mission, which flows nicely, but is the most corridor like of the ones I played
-COD Elite is on the fritz right now lol.

It's early yet, and the exploit finding douche bags are probably hard at work. But so far though, I'd say the game is more on par with COD4 which makes me a very happy man. Hope this helps the Gaffers that dont have it yet, and are on the fence about purchase. Damn you Activision, you got me again ;(

Appreciate the impressions. Sounds good :)

def sim

I'll probably buy Modern Warfare 4. I'm skipping whatever Treyarch is making so thankfully CoD games retain their community despite sequels.

LeMaximilian said:
Modern Warfare 3: The Online Warrior Episode 1 'Getting Started' by Maximilian
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Uwo3F-DeWk

Covers general information and the stuff folks should be aware of before they hop online. Also give impressions and some strats about weapon usage and killstreak stuff.

This is great, thanks Max. I'd love to see you do some strategies for specific maps in this video series.

I'm watching the clock today like Bart in detention. Tick....tick....backwards tick....

Is it wrong to put your kids to bed at 5pm?

THRILLH0

Banned
Jesus I fucking suck. Like 4-20 suck.

I was actually reasonable with m/kb in MW2 but I'm getting my ass handed to me on 360 at the moment.

D

Deleted member 81567

Unconfirmed Member
Radec said:
That's what 80% of gaffers says! Then they buy the cod after that.

:p

Noriega said:
You're not the first to say that

Pandoracell said:
I said the same thing after world at war and here I am buying MW3 :p
Well I wasn't going to even get MW3 if I didn't have one of my friends pay for half of the game (needs friends to play it with). I doubt that's happening next year.

Desaan

Alienshogun said:
I'll be upgrading elite tonight as well.

Good luck with that. Site has been down all day and wasn't even working properly last night and this is before the mainstream grabs it, I had to reload the register page 800 times to make and link my accounts.

CorrisD

badchoiceboobies
Kung Fu Grip said:
There was an interview with robert bowling (someone from this site posted it, it was in their house) where he said they raised the hit damage. Why would you do that i have no idea. MW2 already had a rediculously high damage.

Everybody likes to hate on treyarch but at least they tried to balance their COD better. They reduced the hit damage in BO so you don't die so damn fast.

Seems like a bit of a joke to me, I had to stop playing MP due to being constantly shot in the back within a few seconds and being taken down even quicker.
I don't pretend to be a great CoD by a long shot but I feel no urge to play a game where I spend most of the time watching other peoples kill cams running up from behind my spawn and killing me within a second.

People like to moan about Black Ops and Treyarch, but they seemingly put far more effort into creating an on-line environment with new mechanics and modes than what I have played of MW3 which just seems like a Copy/Paste job with gun levelling.

Im interested in joining a GAF PS3 clan if there's one going, im pretty destructive when i get going.

rance said:
Aw god damn it this game doesn't have an AUG. :/

So that makes this and WAW the only ones without AUG? Shocking...

eek5

Desaan said:
Good luck with that. Site has been down all day and wasn't even working properly last night and this is before the mainstream grabs it, I had to reload the register page 800 times to make and link my accounts.
I managed to finally login but I can't get past this

network-interruption.gif

lol

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
The maps will likely grow on people but a lot seem to not like them so far. Not all of them but the overall impressions seem to be the maps aren't that good. 16 maps is nice though. BF3 while bigger, should have shipped with more than it did.

iNvid02

wow, good job i played this straight away because it took literally a couple of hours to realise this is not my cup of tea.

- you die WAY too fast, seriously your dead before you can blink. there is no time to escape ever, add to this the lag that comes with playing online and its going to be very rare if you can ever get to cover when someone is shooting at you.
- 16 maps - but they are all incredibly small compared to the last games. or maybe its the density, everything is too closed quarters and tight its hard to topple someone running around with an smg. I dunno if they are saving the big open maps for DLC but everything i've played is small-medium sized and very dense, its not that fun.
- there is too much stuff. the amount of shit available to unlock or even assign to your class is ludicrous now. imo every game improved on this since COD4, and BLOPS was where it was enough, but they just added more and more.

not saying its not at all fun, it can be you get into a decent game with some friends or play the specops but i think it can only last so long. gonna sell this as soon as skyrim and acr hit.

also if you have some preorder bonus or 2xp stuff you dont want, put it on ebay. someone bought my intel pack with 2xp for £20 - thats half the price of the damn game...

madmackem

Hmmm some of the maps suffer from the blackops too many fucking rooms and windows thing. Some of the best mw maps are the ones with very very buildings to go in and out feels there is too many way to get shot from at times.

sikkinixx

Argggh so conflicted. If I buy my PS3 bundle today, I get MW3, if I buy it Friday I get Skyrim. I want MW3 on 360 and I want Skyrim on PC lol Reading the last pages f the thread it sounds like the PS3 version isn't bad. I'll probably crack during my lunch break and drive off to the store....

Top Bottom