• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3 |OT| Got 99 Problems, But Sales Ain't One.

kneePat said:
Activision mostly sent out 360 copies for reviews. So we'll know soon, but 360 is lead platform and historically has been better. Infinity Ward has handled the PS3 way better than Treyarch though.

From the few reviews I've seen, PS3 version is on par with the 360 version, so pick your controller/preferred console.

I'm hoping that sledgehammer got it right along with IW, considering how close dead space was on both consoles.

DarkChild

Banned
KeioSquad2 said:
I'm hoping that sledgehammer got it right along with IW, considering how close dead space was on both consoles.
MW games are a bit harder to get to parity honestly. They are heavy on alphas which really do not suit PS3. Thats why they paired back particle resolution and dust/smoke.

DarkChild said:
MW games are a bit harder to get to parity honestly. They are heavy on alphas which really do not suit PS3. Thats why they paired back particle resolution and dust/smoke.

If that's the only difference though I'd say job well done. It's the frame rate that worries me....

Has anyone had any luck using the riot shield?
Without Commando and Blast Shield stun immunity, it seems completely worthless.
Also disappointed that enemies can still shoot your feet, while you crouch (dispite them NOT being exposed). I also got stabbed through the centre of the riot shield :(
I was hoping they would have fixed these issues from MW2.

PSYGN

Hoya Destroyer said:
Has anyone had any luck using the riot shield?
Without Commando and Blast Shield stun immunity, it seems completely worthless.
Also disappointed that enemies can still shoot your feet, while you crouch (dispite them NOT being exposed). I also got stabbed through the centre of the riot shield :(
I was hoping they would have fixed these issues from MW2.

That's kind of silly that they could still shoot your feet if you're crouched. Maybe they'll patch that. I know I enjoyed the riot shield in MW2 sometimes when I felt like trolling. It's hilarious to see the noobs and their reactions in such situations as suddenly being confronted by one in an alley.

T-0800

KeioSquad2 said:
If that's the only difference though I'd say job well done. It's the frame rate that worries me....

Don't worry. Framerate on PS3 is perfect. I've completed about 6 levels of the campaign and about 15 MP games without a single dropped frame. With regard to framerate it is even better than MW2.

-Amon-

T-0800 said:
Don't worry. Framerate on PS3 is perfect. I've completed about 6 levels of the campaign and about 15 MP games without a single dropped frame. With regard to framerate it is even better than MW2.

That's really good to hear.

NZNova

So, 107 minutes in (according to Steam), and I'm 22.6% of the way through the campaign. The advantage of an old engine is it runs smooth as silk at 2560x1440 for me. Not bad so far, kinda what you expect from a single player Call of Duty experience. The usual thrills & spills etc.

One question sprang to mind though, why would
an American family be merrily holidaying around London without a care in the world
straight after the events of Modern Warfare 2 and during the
full on invasion of the eastern seaboard
that played out earlier in 3?

Veins

Unconfirmed Member
Played a round of MP on PS3.

Graphics level is unchanged from MW2.
I was getting a lot of stuttering, random single frame drops :/
I noticed I was the host when I quit, maybe that was it?

The map I played on was extremely very small. Like a sixth of the size of Favela or something maybe even an eighth. It was like 2 buildings.

Guns seem to kill in 2 shots. There is no way you can recover or hide after someone starts shooting.

Will play more.

This aint Black Ops, its smooth as fuck.

1qx4ks.jpg

T-0800

Veins said:
Played a round of MP on PS3.

Graphics level is unchanged from MW2.
I was getting a lot of stuttering, random single frame drops :/
I noticed I was the host when I quit, maybe that was it?

The map I played on was extremely very small. Like a sixth of the size of Favela or something maybe even an eighth. It was like 2 buildings.

Guns seem to kill in 2 shots. There is no way you can recover or hide after someone starts shooting.

Will play more.

Has to be lag. Framerate has been rock solid for me. I'm extremely sensitive to incosistant framerates btw. I find BOPs on PS3 unplayable.

Veins

Unconfirmed Member
T-0800 said:
Has to be lag. Framerate has been rock solid for me. I'm extremely sensitive to incosistant framerates btw. I find BOPs on PS3 unplayable.
Yeah I think it must have been. Next game seemed fine.

Colours are very washed out on PS3 it seems.

Game is awesome, although I dont know if its just first day issues but it seems like everyone has stopping power against me but it feels like it takes me black ops amount of bullets to kill people. Its quite strange. Some games I can crush, and some I just get totally obliterated.

Philll

Banned
NZNova said:
Not bad so far, kinda what you expect from a single player Call of Duty experience. The usual thrills & spills etc.

Does anyone ever wonder why games never improve with this attitude?

"Well, it's the same old thing... it's COD... what can you expect"

"Well, it's a game by ID, it's a brainless linear shooter, what do you expect"

"Well, it's BF3, who buys it for SP? MP is where it's at"

The same thing in every thread where a portion of the game is mediocre rubbish. If you keep paying for sub standard single player, it's all you're ever going to get. Don't blame the developers, blame yourselves.

Bumhead

Banned
Philll said:
Does anyone ever wonder why games never improve with this attitude?

"Well, it's the same old thing... it's COD... what can you expect"

"Well, it's a game by ID, it's a brainless linear shooter, what do you expect"

"Well, it's BF3, who buys it for SP? MP is where it's at"

The same thing in every thread where a portion of the game is mediocre rubbish. If you keep paying for sub standard single player, it's all you're ever going to get. Don't blame the developers, blame yourselves.

That depends whether you view those existing things as negative. I didn't mind paying for Battlefield 3's multiplayer when the quality of that is so high. I also don't mind Call of Duty's single player, which I view in the same way I view a summer blockbuster movie. Its not pushing any envelopes and I don't expect a life changing experience, but for a pretty thrilling blast through a couple of times "more of the same" is fine from where im standing.

Philll

Banned
Mat C said:
That depends whether you view those existing things as negative. I didn't mind paying for Battlefield 3's multiplayer when the quality of that is so high. I also don't mind Call of Duty's single player, which I view in the same way I view a summer blockbuster movie. Its not pushing any envelopes and I don't expect a life changing experience, but for a pretty thrilling blast through a couple of times "more of the same" is fine from where im standing.

It seems to be life changing to some when MW3 scores higher for story than Deus Ex 3.

Review sites are an utter joke.

Bumhead

Banned
Philll said:
It seems to be life changing to some when MW3 scores higher for story than Deus Ex 3.

Review sites are an utter joke.

Many of them are, yes.

Personally I've long since realised who is worth trusting when it comes to scores, and everyone else I pay zero attention to.

The last 3 single player FPS games I played were Deus Ex: Human Revolution, RAGE and Dead Island, so im quite looking forward to "switching off" so to speak and kicking back for MW3's campaign. It does its job for many.

Well... work isnt going to take forever today or anything..... : (

Getting off at 2 today at least (although I have plans later on this evening). Glad to hear some positive feedback. Day 1 is always a blast typically because everyone is exploring, moving around checking out the new levels, fiddling with all the weapons, attachments and perks, etc., and NOT just using what turns out to be overpowered and laying down in a corner.

I didnt know the theater recording recorded to your save device I thought it just saved it to the server. I looked in my mem card and it was filled with like 20 replay files.

bud

T-0800 said:

this is good to know. black ops was a disaster.

DarkFlow

Banned
You would think they would have elite up and running for this since some people shelled out 100 bucks for the game and elite. Was the BlOPs beta not enough for them to work out the kinks?

AwesomeSauce

MagsMoonshine
PS3 version here and so far its pretty decent.

Voice chat on MP sound terrible though, like scratchy garbled sounds coming from people's mics. Also had a nasty audio bug where this screeching sound scared the hell out of me, but miraculously fixed itself after a few minutes. All in MP.

Anyway gfx look about on par with MW2, but suspect its running at a lower resolution because some maps (Dome) look pretty bad and blurry, while some maps looks good to decent. At least the framerate is pretty steady so far.

MrDaravon

I don't know why, but the Elite page having an animated .gif of the disconnect icon for the page being down is really funny to me for some reason.

34s2fio.jpg

Kyoufu

This framerate is so smooth. No frame drops for me so far. Hopefully the netcode doesn't suck. I had so much lag in Black Ops during launch.

Gandie

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b5dsOn06w1s

Is this common practice in the industry? I know Micheal Bay reused a shot from The Island in Transformers 3, but this is probably the first time I have seen such a blatant reuse of models in a sequel.

KingDizzi

Banned
How many people online on PSN and LIVE? Postman still ain't come, he's a useless little one. :(

BTW for people here in the UK, don't bother with Amazon. Shopto is mint though.

F#A#Oo

Banned
Kyoufu said:
Amazon UK are garbage for games from what I've seen.

Amazon Prime...

I've seen people complain about postage when they chose fucking super saver delivery...mongs in every sense...

rezuth said:
Are parties not working on the Xbox? My friend cant seem to join me and I can't join him :/

It's a big problem. I found going back to dashboard helped it, but others found it didn't do anything.

Anyway, got up to level 40 or so in multi today...I'll post my thoughts a little later. I will say I'm conflicted, though.

protonion

I still haven't played mp. I get this every time I try to connect (PS3):

The call of duty mw3 server is not available at this moment. Please try again later or visit http://www.callofduty.com/mw3/status for updates.

My router is configured properly (dmz and everytning) and besides all my other games work flawlessly. Is it traffic related?

eek5

_Alkaline_ said:
I will say I'm conflicted, though.

It's pretty black and white for me.. when I'm the one 2 shotting people it is a ton of fun! When I'm the one getting 2 shotted it's complete bullshit :lol

The game definitely focused more on gun on gun. MUCH less shit in the air. Its extremely hard to get a good assault killstreak going.

If anybody is on the fence because of all the shit in the air from mw2, you'll prob enjoy this one.

Top Bottom