• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Calvin and Hobbes turn 30 years old today

Status
Not open for further replies.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
Calvin and Hobbes first met on November 18, 1985:

FmBUAZa.jpg

Calvin and Hobbes were created by Bill Watterson:

Calvin and Hobbes are named after the Protestant reformer John Calvin and the philosopher Thomas Hobbes.

Some more strips:

And of course, the last strip on December 31, 1995:

The best ever and a fine example of going out at top of one's game. The day C&H and the Far Side ended were sad ones. It makes me crazy that Peanuts gets all the undeserved love and respect that it does.

The best ever and a fine example of going out at top of one's game. The day C&H and the Far Side ended were sad ones. It makes me crazy that Peanuts gets all the undeserved love and respect that it does.

50s-60s Peanuts is pretty damn good, but yeah it's got nothing against Calvin and Hobbbes.

Calvin and Hobbes Lazy Sunday Book was the first Calvin and Hobbes thing I discovered on a visit to Canada when I was a kid.

Love the series and have several other books as well, still got'em too! Been meaning to get the whole collection.

Probably my favorite comic book series. Going down in a hill in a wagon is totally a fun thing to do and everyone should totally nearly kill themselves doing it like I did when I read this as a kid.

Fuchsdh

Why did Calvin like to pee on everything in the 90s? Gross.

Jerks made their own unauthorized merchandise because Watterson was a G and didn't want to dilute his creation with tacky shit to sell.

While I think the sort of hate Peanuts gets is bizarre, and Calvin and Hobbes would never have existed without Peanuts, I definitely agree it's the best comic strip I've ever read.

This thread makes me want to crack open the complete edition again. It always makes me want more Calvin and Hobbes, but you also realize Watterson was completely right to make sure it wrapped up on his own terms.

Theecliff

Banned
when i was young my parents introduced me to calvin and hobbes through the collections they had. i absolutely adored them from the getgo and read and reread each collection over and over again. even though they were written before my time those comics helped define my childhood :)

and damn, those feels with the last comic :'(

also, here's a fantastic video called a very calvin and hobbes christmas that i discovered a few years ago.

123rl

Calvin And Hobbes was a huge part of my childhood. Every day I'd look forward to getting home from school so that I could the daily comic in the newspaper.

jorma

is now taking requests
Yeah, can't disagree with the GOAT nomination. Calvin and Hobbes was always the first thing i read in the daily newspaper every morning as i grew up (and to be honest, sometimes the only thing i read in the newspaper), and for 10 years it was pretty much always funny.

Tizoc

Wonder if Humblebundle will have a C&H Book bundle today?

Either way this is a strip best appreciated when one is older I feel.

Faiz

Of all the comic collections on my shelves, the Calvin and Hobbes Complete Collection will always be my most treasured. Still available all over the Internet in both hardcover and softcover editions, at very reasonable prices.

Chorazin

Strip came out when I was six, pretty much the same time I realized newspapers had comic strips in them. Absolutely had an influence on me! Bought a lot of the collections through Scholastic with allowances when I could. So glad I got the massive complete collection a few Xmases ago. Guess it's time to read all the strips again! :-D

These were the first books I read growing up, and what my father and mother used to read to me before I could myself. I still to this day feel like Calvin (along with Bart Simpson) basically shaped my personality as a child.

Best comics ever? Best comics ever.

Our generation's Peanuts.

Calvin and Hobbes was the only comic strip I read growing up. It was always funny, and sometimes had some oddly deep meaningful points for a kids strip.

I still miss it, but I am happy he retired before he ran the strip into the ground. It went out at a high point, which is what every comic stupid should aim for.

Calvin and Hobbes was basically my childhood.

By that I mean, I sat around indoors are reread the collections 1000 times.

I'm not sure I learned the lesson Watterson wanted.

n64coder

I agree with the sentiments. I never understood what was great about Peanuts. Can someone cite some examples? I do have to admit that Peanuts is better than a lot of the other trash like Family Circus, Beetle Baily, Dagwood & Blondie.

For Better or For Worse is a decent strip. Early Bloom County was also good.

50s-60s Peanuts is pretty damn good, but yeah it's got nothing against Calvin and Hobbbes.

Can you cite some examples of good Peanuts?

While I think the sort of hate Peanuts gets is bizarre, and Calvin and Hobbes would never have existed without Peanuts, I definitely agree it's the best comic strip I've ever read.

Why do you think C&H would not exist if it wasn't for Peanuts? I'm no comic historian and need to be educated.

inm8num2

One day I'll probably get that complete collection set. It's been discounted heavily a few times in the last year or two. Such a timeless series.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom