• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Came to the party, left with indifference, and returned anyway: NiGHTS into dreams...

AniHawk

Well, I started playing it about 2 years ago when we first got the Saturn. I thought it was a somewhat annoying game with a lousy score system (never paid much attention to it, always tried finishing the fastest). The controller hurt my hands, and it was really hard to get the characters what i wanted them to do. I still played to the third dreams of Elliot and Claris, and when I couldn't progress any further, I stopped playing, and didn't touch it again until just a few days ago.

MAN, I don't know what happened, but I got really good in my time off. By the next day I had beat both Claris and Elliot's nightmares, and defeated Wizeman twice. I paid attention to the score system this time around, and was able to take care of the bosses much quicker than before.

Twin Seeds was also my favorite level. Everything about it was great. When I walked up to NiGHTS as Elliot the first time, and was thrown aaaaaaaaaaallllllllllll the way to the back of the level, I though "well, that was stupid. Didn't even look around for a way to get to NiGHTS yet." Thinking it was enough for the night (I only was planning on playing for 15 minutes or so), I set the controller down when I saw Elliot fly up and the NiGHTS theme start playing. Really, really cool. The level itself was fun, and very challenging due to the 3 minute time limit.

Also liked the endings and the music in the game. Such a simple game, yet so damn fun.

:: puts NiGHTS on Sega's "make sequel to or go to hell list"::

Justin Bailey

------ ------
Would it be worth it to buy a Saturn and this game off ebay (and maybe Radiant Silvergun)? I've heard so much praise for it, I'm tempted. . .

AniHawk

Justin Bailey said:
Would it be worth it to buy a Saturn and this game off ebay (and maybe Radiant Silvergun)? I've heard so much praise for it, I'm tempted. . .

On Ebay you can get a Saturn and 5+ games for $20-$50. The problem is getting a memory card that works. The system has a lithium battery which helps store memory on the system, but the battery dies after a year or so. I'd say it's worth it. Radiant Silvergun will make you go broke though.

bjork

NiGHTS is brilliant. It seems so simple at first, but there's a lot to see and do, and it's just plain fun. Makes me want to hook up my Saturn again and start playing. :)

AniHawk

bjork said:
NiGHTS is brilliant. It seems so simple at first, but there's a lot to see and do, and it's just plain fun. Makes me want to hook up my Saturn again and start playing. :)

I wonder why Naka wont do a NiGHTS 2. Super Monkey Ball 2 was more of the same, and it also kicked ass. Even if he remade NiGHTS with Christmas NiGHTS thrown in, I think a lot of people would be very happy.

bjork

Who knows... it's still something I wait for, though. They keep saying it'll never happen or whatever, but we'll see.

I've wanted a new Pirates! since 1987, and we're just now getting it, so I never say never.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
AniHawk said:
I wonder why Naka wont do a NiGHTS 2. Super Monkey Ball 2 was more of the same, and it also kicked ass. Even if he remade NiGHTS with Christmas NiGHTS thrown in, I think a lot of people would be very happy.

Naka is not the original designer who thought out the mechanics that made NiGHTS work nor is he the artist who thought of the worlds you played into with NiGHTS.

He is a good programmer and he can make cool games.

He is respectful of the NiGHTS property and he knows that unless he were %400 sure that his team had a truly incredible set of ideas for NiGHTS 2 there is no point in making a sequel when the hype would be almost impossible to be matched.

callous

The battery in the Saturn is very easily replaced. Just take out the old one and bring it to pretty much any shop that sells watches. Cheap, too.

And yes, NiGHTS is worth buying a used saturn for.

BuddyC

callous said:
The battery in the Saturn is very easily replaced. Just take out the old one and bring it to pretty much any shop that sells watches. Cheap, too.

It's the same battery that DC VMUs use.

AniHawk

Panajev2001a said:
Naka is not the original designer who thought out the mechanics that made NiGHTS work nor is he the artist who thought of the worlds you played into with NiGHTS.

He is a good programmer and he can make cool games.

He is respectful of the NiGHTS property and he knows that unless he were %400 sure that his team had a truly incredible set of ideas for NiGHTS 2 there is no point in making a sequel when the hype would be almost impossible to be matched.

I still would like to see a remake at least with added new stuff.

What was the GBA level like? Anyone know?

callous

It was surprisingly good. A complete hassle having to download it every time I wanted to play it, though, so I didn't play it much.

callous

AniHawk said:
It was a new one altogether? Did it have a boss? What about the graphics?

No boss. It's been almost a year, so I can't remember exactly what level it was, but I think it was a copy of one of the first levels in Saturn NiGHTS. Graphics were quite true to the original even though they were 2D.

bjork

It was basically a take-off from the first Eliot level of NiGHTS. It was odd to see them pull it off on GBA and have it look halfway decent in comparison to the original.

AniHawk said:
On Ebay you can get a Saturn and 5+ games for $20-$50. The problem is getting a memory card that works. The system has a lithium battery which helps store memory on the system, but the battery dies after a year or so. I'd say it's worth it. Radiant Silvergun will make you go broke though.

as someone said, you cna easily replace the internal lithium battery with any watch battery or dc vmu battery. So yes getting a saturn is worth it. Also I too love night but I so wish Naka would remake Burning Rangers, I would take a remake of the original with some new levels thrown in. That game is so much fun, even if the last two levels have a few tearing issues in the graphics. I actyually found Burning rangers to be more fun then Konami's fire fighting game.
Back to Nights, I love the Christmas Nights, and if they ever did a remake, would love if they did the christmas gifts in the game like Christmas Nights. This way the casual would have a reason to keep playing it, cuase everyone loves to unlock things.

AniHawk

sonic4ever said:
as someone said, you cna easily replace the internal lithium battery with any watch battery or dc vmu battery.

I know that, but it erases any memory left on your Saturn.

bjork said:
It was basically a take-off from the first Eliot level of NiGHTS. It was odd to see them pull it off on GBA and have it look halfway decent in comparison to the original.

Thanks for the info.

callous said:

As if there aren't any other reasons.

Oh, and the Saturn sips power from CR2032s pretty slowly. I've gone 3-4+ years on a single cell. As for memory carts, you can get an official Sega one here:

http://www.gameexpress.com/product_detail.cfm?UPC=4974365001407

or an Action Replay Pro, which will play your imports, serves as a RAM cart, and has a ton of save storage space, here:

http://www.play-asia.com/paOS-13-71-1v-70-1b2-4-14.html

AniHawk

jiji said:
As if there aren't any other reasons.

Oh, and the Saturn sips power from CR2032s pretty slowly. I've gone 3-4+ years on a single cell. As for memory carts, you can get an official Sega one here:

http://www.gameexpress.com/product_detail.cfm?UPC=4974365001407

or an Action Replay Pro, which will play your imports, serves as a RAM cart, and has a ton of save storage space, here:

http://www.play-asia.com/paOS-13-71-1v-70-1b2-4-14.html

Will that Sega one save US games?

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
I wonder why Naka wont do a NiGHTS 2.

As Pana stated, I just don't believe that Sonic Team is capable of producing a worthy sequel. Naka seems to know this and would rather have NiGHTS remain a classic.

The chances of a NiGHTS sequel actually delivering is very slim.

AniHawk said:
Will that Sega one save US games?

Yeah, I've used it with Puzzle Fighter and Rayearth and a few others. The Sega one will let you save directly to it in games, while the Action Replay will only let you copy saves to it through its menu.

AniHawk

jiji said:
Yeah, I've used it with Puzzle Fighter and Rayearth and a few others. The Sega one will let you save directly to it in games, while the Action Replay will only let you copy saves to it through its menu.

That's good news then. I need one which works. I have a crappy Madcatz one which probably crapped out years before I bought it (it was 5 bucks).

And as far as a NiGHTS sequel... well, there's always hoping to a faithful remake then. :)

IF you are a NiGHTS fan, you have a companion disc with Christmas NiGHTS that changes throughout the year depending on the date, and thats a pretty amazing companion disc, especially considering it was free...

I treasure my NiGHTS and Christmas NiGHTS as two of my favorite games of all time..

NiGHTS is *DEFINATELY* worth buying a Sega Saturn for... Saturn runs $10-40, and nights is in plentiful supply, just make sure you get the 3d control pad, the game requires it, and it was specially designed for the game basically.

NiGHTS into Dreams was supposed to come out on the PC , and they spoke of adding 2 new levels to the game for the PC version, but nothing ever came of that as far as I know. Would have loved to have seen what those 2 levels were like.

I dont think they could do a sequel justice right now... they could do a remake of it with prettier graphics, and that would be amazing in itself.

The more you play NiGHTS, the more you understand the mechanics and system of play and then it starts to get beautiful. Sometimes as I am watching myself play a level, zipping around quicker than I can even see, circling items and planning for them to compute just in time for me to go through some loops and continue a large link chain; its pretty amazing. Christmas NiGHTS has a Link Attack mode that is tons of fun.

Also, if you get a Sega Saturn and get NiGHTS/Christmas Nights, dont forget to get Burning Rangers. It is a Sonic Team treasure; and never stops giving. After you beat the game, new portions of the levels open up and new people to rescue.. After you rescue people; they send you in game emails to the main menu, and eventually you start rescuing members of Sonic Team who send you thank you notes for playing their game and secret codes and stuff.. its a pretty amazing game and doesnt get nearly the respect it deserves.. probably because it was produced in such low numbers and wasnt hyped like NiGHTS was.

Lazy8s

The ghost of Dreamcast past
Panajev2001a:
Yuji Naka has been credited with the game's original concept and with being one of the game's lead designers as well as its head programmer. He's been in instrumental design positions for many of Sonic Team's greatest hits.

But modern games like this have gotten so elaborate that the parts critical to their design take the creative contributions of multiple people. So, when individual designers get thrust into the spotlight, they are often unfairly given too much credit and also unfairly seen as taking too much credit - despite how much they try to convey that it took the work of many on the development team to make the game what it was. For example, Naka always told how, during NiGHTS development, team members would continue to work on some tasks in their spare time even after they had brought it up to satisfactory completion. They would then amaze the rest of the team with how much further they managed to take their assinged task than what anyone expected.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
Lazy8s said:
Panajev2001a:

Yuji Naka has been credited with the game's original concept and with being one of the game's lead designers as well as its head programmer. He's been in instrumental design positions for many of Sonic Team's greatest hits.

But modern games like this have gotten so elaborate that the parts critical to their design take the creative contributions of multiple people. So, when individual designers get thrust into the spotlight, they are often unfairly given too much credit and also unfairly seen as taking too much credit - despite how much they try to convey that it took the work of many on the development team to make the game what it was. For example, Naka always told how, during NiGHTS development, team members would continue to work on some tasks in their spare time even after they had brought it up to satisfactory completion. They would then amaze the rest of the team with how much further they managed to take their assinged task than what anyone expected.

I am not dissing on Naka, he is a smart fellow, but he is not, no matter how much you want him to be, the guy who was in charge of design and gameplay mechanics of NiGHTS.

You make a good point when you say that still we need a whole team to make a game as nice as NiGHTS is and you are right: I do not think Sonic Team suffered only that single loss over the years.

Also, you cannot take away credit to the lead guys: often in many fields it is their task not only to propose ideas, but mostly to reject and approve ideas the team pushes in virtue of their experience and knowledge of good game design principles.

I do not think that the Sonic Team we have now feels that:

1.) they should even touch a game with the hype that NiGHTS would carry: half the people would have ridiculous expectations as they were fans of the first game, others would wait and look for every single flaw this new game would have to tear apart a myth.

2.) they have the right ideas, time and money available to even begin to approach the hype the game would generate.

Lazy8s

The ghost of Dreamcast past
Panajev2001a:
he is not, no matter how much you want him to be, the guy who was in charge of design and gameplay mechanics of NiGHTS.
I never claimed he was the game's director - just that he has been credited with some of the significant creative contributions to the game's design, including its original concept. However, he is only one of several lead members who each designed crucial elements as well.

Sonic Team had a few designers who could lead a project creatively. That's why, after the schism, each sub-team managed to turn out noteworthy product.

Top Bottom