• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

*Canadian* Amiibo Discussion Thread: Discussion officielle Amiibo canadienne

GunFalcon

I was sitting on some Amiibo for a friend who never came through with the money, so I have an extra Ike, Meta Knight, Lucario, etc. available.

I'll post the list later, just a heads up in case any of you are still missing some of the last wave.

PMed!

I was sitting on some Amiibo for a friend who never came through with the money, so I have an extra Ike, Meta Knight, Lucario, etc. available.

I'll post the list later, just a heads up in case any of you are still missing some of the last wave.
Sent you a PM. :)

Even being first in line this morning and getting in my preorders at EB doesn't make me feel safe =/

I was second. It seems to be instore allocation. I think. I hope. That's what I was told when I asked.

So what happened to all the peoples pre orders that were successful on EBgames website did they get cancelled?

I doubt it. Those were fine and seemed fine. They just took things down. I've gotten nothing w/r/t cancellation emails or messages yet.

Swhalen

So I've been stuck at work all day since pre orders went live. I asked my roommate today if he could go to the EB and see if they are still selling pre orders for Ness, and they were. I got mine on order. Did they make way more of this wave or something?

i-Jest

QUESTION TO THE GROUP

If you knew how much this collection would cost you, and how much trouble you would have to go through to collect them, would you still?

Yes. It kinda feels like I'm collecting Beast Wars transformers all over again. The only difference being I'm using my own money to collect something cheaper than transformers and doing it on my own time. I love the hunt but I've learned not to let it ruin my day. As a result, I'm not frustrated about missing out on preorders as much as I use to. Some of these figures are of characters I've rarely, if not at all, seen in collectable merchandise form. It was impossible most to find the trinity a month after release without paying a scalper. Post wave one, it was clear to me the hunt was going to get harder as more people got into buying these things, both on the collector and scalper side. With that in mind I try to be vigilant with orders when I can and not to take it seriously to the point where I'm pissed over not getting that one plastic figure.

I work at Walmart and I'm so tempted to go to my work and enter 5 minutes before we open so I can secure a Gold Mario haha :(

So I've been stuck at work all day since pre orders went live. I asked my roommate today if he could go to the EB and see if they are still selling pre orders for Ness, and they were. I got mine on order. Did they make way more of this wave or something?

Nobody knows. Apparently the Gamestop stock sold out in an hour. People are speculating that they ebgames screwed up royally by starting pre-orders on a long weekend. The thought is that the head honchos are all enjoying the weekend and never communicated to stores any limitations of stock.

Kilvin

Any word on when we will be seeing the adaptor for the normal 3DS? I love having these on my shelf but I'd also like to try them out at some point.

mdubs

Banned
Nobody knows. Apparently the Gamestop stock sold out in an hour. People are speculating that they ebgames screwed up royally by starting pre-orders on a long weekend. The thought is that the head honchos are all enjoying the weekend and never communicated to stores any limitations of stock.

They are also enjoying all that interest free deposit money as well

Swhalen

Ah damn. Well I'm hoping for the best.

Just need Marth. Gold Mario is on its way.

JmZLjWN.jpg

Galang

Banned
I preordered majority of wave 4 from EB at Eaton's centre today at around 3 pm. At this point I agree with everyone else; they just seem to be taking all preorders with no limitations and I'm highly doubting I'll get the ones I preordered today. I felt I had to preorder them just incase they actually somehow have enough stock to fulfill all the orders. I would hate myself if they fulfilled the orders and I didn't get any just because I didn't bother. I'm sad this evening was the first time since Thursday I didn't have any social or work obligations, but at the same time getting Ness wasn't worth my personal life. I hope it works out for most in the end though, Good luck to all!

mugwhump

So what did amazon.ca do in the previous waves? Did they have the product pages up for a while before preorders? Or did preorders just come up out of nowhere?

evanmisha

Can I just say that I sort of love EB Games for screwing up like this? This is the only time I can think of a retailer having some actual numbers to quantify demand and show Nintendo how much money they're losing.

Canon

Banned
I ordered at 3 pm (store opened at 10 am) and they said they got over a hundred pre-orders before me.

Fuck it all to hell, if mine gets cancelled I'm done with EB Games... not that I go to them for anything except exclusives.

espher

QUESTION TO THE GROUP

If you knew how much this collection would cost you, and how much trouble you would have to go through to collect them, would you still?

I'd try to get specific ones I wanted, but I wouldn't be working on a sealed + open set, and I wouldn't freak out.

The problem is that the ones I /really/ want are the exclusives/hard-to-find ones. Villager/Marth, Ike/Meta Knight/Shulk/Pit, SMSeries Toad, and now Ness/Lucina/Jigglypuff.

I couldn't get to EB today, so I know I'm already fucked on Wave 4. Nintendo better be doing reprint runs.

This is probably where my 'complete' collection ends (+ the Gold Mario I got today, + regular SM Series Mario when he comes out), sadly.

JazzmanZ

Look I know we love Nintendo and the figurines as anyone but some of you are being overly dramatic at the prospect of not getting plastic toy.

I know it sucks that you might miss out on a character you want but some times it's best to just move on if nothing can be done.
I lost my chance on a Pit amiibo because the order was cancelled, and the Lucario because toys-r-us is a bag of dicks, but i'm not crying over split milk that I missed them.

DVCY201

Look I know we love Nintendo and the figurines as anyone but some of you are being overly dramatic at the prospect of not getting plastic toy.

I know it sucks that you might miss out on a character you want but some times it's best to just move on if nothing can be done.
I lost my chance on a Pit amiibo because the order was cancelled, and the Lucario because toys-r-us is a bag of dicks, but i'm not crying over split milk that I missed them.

I think what's making it so frustrating is that Nintendo is leaving money on the table. There's a clear demand that exceeds the allotted stock that they produce, and they should be capitalizing on that and making it more accessible for consumers, rather than tiring them out through artificial demand. Simply put, it really shouldn't be THIS stressful.

I think the sooner everyone switches to casual collecting the better it'll be for our health

ohlawd

you don't unerstand

I NEED Lucina

Yeah, even going into EB Crossiron Mills at about 11 this morning, I could still preorder every last amiibo. All of those coming through would be proof of a higher power.

i-Jest

Another thing that bothers me a bit about this whole amiibo craze: Hardcore collectors purchase amiibo and keep them in their boxes. They are never played with. And for every collector with an amiibo pristine in his box, there is a kid out there who really wanted to play Smash with a Fox or Ike amiibo and can't, because they don't have hundreds of dollars to drop on eBay.

LOLOL *pauses*

Alexa Ray Corriea can fuck right off with that reasoning. I bought my Amiibo, and from the point of purchase onward, I can do whatever I please with them. If little Billy wanted a Ness, an Ike, or a Pit then little Billy, or his parents, should have made the effort to put a preorder in or crash a website or two trying. At this point if your not camping out, watching sites like a hawk, or waiting for news on when the next Amiibo line is coming then your probably not gonna get ones most people want. This applies to restocks too.

It really shouldn't be this way but blame Nintendo for under-shipping certain Amiibo and Scalpers for making the situation worse by buying up all the stock they can of certain figures.

As for that second point of blame, that's us. We did this. We did this to ourselves and we love it. We rail against Nintendo and retailers for squeezing us out of buying these toys, and we readily do it again and again and again. We allow this to happen. We stand in pre-order lines for hours, huffing and puffing about the wait and how we took off work to wait the entire time. We crazily refresh websites for hours, crashing an entire company system with our hunger for tiny Charizards. The amiibo fever exists because we make it so, passing it along to one another like kids on the playground pass mono. Stop placing your lives on hold to pre-order a plastic figure the size of your middle finger. That figure won't put bacon on the table or keep you warm at night. Stop waiting in lines for hours and just go to the store to get them when it's convenient for you; don't feed the hysteria.

In the current climate it's dog eat dog. If you don't get that Little Mac order in then someone else will. I've yet to see a restock of sought after figures from wave 2. I doubt they're coming anytime soon so be my guest and try and find one in stores months after release with little effort or pain.

QUESTION TO THE GROUP

No, I would've likely avoided near all of them. My intention was always to try to collect all of the Super Smash Bros. amiibos, but before all of this madness, I figured every amiibo would be readily available. If I knew then what I know now, I would've tried to find a couple of them that I really wanted and just let everyone else fight over the others.

It sucks because I'm a big Nintendo fan. I love characters like Villager, Little Mac, and Marth, but it just doesn't feel right to have to spend $50-100 just to find one of the amiibos of them. I hope that over time it will change, but I have my doubts. In the meantime, I'm taking a step back from trying to collect them all and I'm just going after the ones I really want.

Lucina is one that I really want. BUT, that's not looking so good now, either. Damn, Nintendo.

jholmes

LOLOL *pauses*

Alexa Ray Corriea can fuck right off with that reasoning. I bought my Amiibo, and from the point of purchase onward, I can do whatever I please with them. If little Billy wanted a Ness, an Ike, or a Pit then little Billy, or his parents, should have made the effort to put a preorder in or crash a website or two trying. At this point if your not camping out, watching sites like a hawk, or waiting for news on when the next Amiibo line is coming then your probably not gonna get ones most people want. This applies to restocks too.

It really shouldn't be this way but blame Nintendo for under-shipping certain Amiibo and Scalpers for making the situation worse by buying up all the stock they can of certain figures.

In the current climate it's dog eat dog. If you don't get that Little Mac order in then someone else will. I've yet to see a restock of sought after figures from wave 2. I doubt they're coming anytime soon so be my guest and try and find one in stores months after release with little effort or pain.

If he wrote an article about how people are inflating the interest in, say, the PS4, he'd get eaten alive. But meanwhile if he says YOU'RE AN ADULT STOP BUYING TOYS, Gamespot will run it.

Important Notes from Reddit EB Games Employees

There was a very large thread I linked to last night about the EB Games in store preorders and such. I got a lot of details out of them that I will list below.

Links:
http://www.reddit.com/r/amiibo/comments/31hfbc/psa_eb_games_canada_amiibo_buyers_wave_4/
http://www.reddit.com/r/AmiiboCanada/comments/31hk9v/xpost_from_ramiibo_im_an_eb_games_employee_psa/

-Preorder allocation will be store by store, so stores that kept taking preorders with some people saying their store took up to 100 preorders for Ness alone will be calling people back and letting them know their preorder is ETA, because there is money attached to the preorder they can't just cancel it, but they basically will state the suggested action for people to come in and get their money back as they will be letting people know they cannot fulfil the preorder

-Some stores were aware of the lack of cut off and put a limit on themselves to help make things easier

-When preorders are reviewed store by store it will always be by time of preorder, so if you were the first few in line you are safe, use your common sense to realize you might be screwed

-Nothing will be clarified until Monday/Tuesday, District Managers and Corporate are back tomorrow (Monday April 6th)

-Friday preorders will not be prioritized first, if a store oversold on Friday they oversold their store, stock won't be taken from other stores to fulfil overselling

the line where i was at was small probably just 13 peeps and none of them ordered anything to do with splatoon, just lots of roberts/lucy moreso then ness

Top Bottom