• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

*Canadian* Amiibo Discussion Thread: Discussion officielle Amiibo canadienne

GNugget

Neo Member
I went back to Toys R Us today after the Lucario hype died down and I overheard one worker talking to another who said.... "...yo but for real if you see Rosalina come in you GOTTA tell me...she is like THE one everyone is looking for. I need to get her."

And there you have it...the reason why when stores get new shipments it is "sold out" within moments and nobody seems to be able to get their hands on any in store.

lionpants

I went back to Toys R Us today after the Lucario hype died down and I overheard one worker talking to another who said.... "...yo but for real if you see Rosalina come in you GOTTA tell me...she is like THE one everyone is looking for. I need to get her."

And there you have it...the reason why when stores get new shipments it is "sold out" within moments and nobody seems to be able to get their hands on any in store.
I wouldn't jump to conclusions like that just because of one douchenozzle.

Sora_N

Just because he said that doesn't mean anything though, Amiibos are great. If he works there he should definitely have first dibs, and he can do whatever he wants. Even if he is scalping, I doubt management would let them have more than 1 or 2 since it's a hot item.

Maybe he really likes Amiibos and/or Rosalina. :p

Which is totally bullshit.

I work at Build a Bear, and when things explode like Toothless, we aren't allowed to buy, period, for several weeks.

If anyone here worked at a Toys R Us I would be shocked if they did the noble thing and didn't pick one up for themselves.

I will freely admit that I would put aside a Rosalina for myself if I worked there.

6f0ab2023e230f3f0dac8803ab2200fc.png
(snag the shulk before but manage to get Lucario)

N° 2048

EDIT: So sorry, I thought I read the employees were stealing...Amiibo getting me heated -.-

Same shit with Roll up the Rim to Win from Tim Horton's. Unrolling then re rolling cup lids overnight...

That isn't even remotely the same.

One is basically employee theft. If they're caught they are going to be fired for that. I don't see how that compares to an employee buying a Rosalina for themselves.

beta_fuse

Just because he said that doesn't mean anything though, Amiibos are great. If he works there he should definitely have first dibs, and he can do whatever he wants. Even if he is scalping, I doubt management would let them have more than 1 or 2 since it's a hot item.

Maybe he really likes Amiibos and/or Rosalina. :p

I used to work at Toys R Us and no you cannot buy an item and resell it at a higher price. Sure a perk at working retail is getting first dibs (assuming you really want it for yourself), but if there is a strict minimum per store advertised in a flyer, USUALLY management doesn't let you.

At this point Nintendo should really just do an online store for just Amigos. Let people order and ship directly, only manufacturer once it meets their quota.

Their supply chain and store management is just garbage, so why keep on relying on this.

N° 2048

That isn't even remotely the same.

One is basically employee theft. If they're caught they are going to be fired for that. I don't see how that compares to an employee buying a Rosalina for themselves.

Sorry I thought I read they were stealing. Amiibos making me emotional :p

Sora_N

I used to work at Toys R Us and no you cannot buy an item and resell it at a higher price. Sure a perk at working retail is getting first dibs (assuming you really want it for yourself), but if there is a strict minimum per store advertised in a flyer, USUALLY management doesn't let you.

Yeah but how would management know that you're buying it to resell at a higher price? No one can prove who will or won't be doing that.

I used to work at one too, they let me buy stuff since I was in good terms with everyone there. Some things like MP Optimus Prime, they wouldn't let anyone hold though since by that point all the nerds of the whole city called the store every single day about it. So yeah I do agree that maybe management won't let staff hold them officially, due to the nature of Amiibos.

CRA5H

I think the biggest factor is that these are extremely limited products.

Storing one aside for yourself is fine but more than 1 is unnecessary. I feel like employees have every right to own "one" as everyone else. It's a perk but should not be exploited.

Storing one aside for yourself is fine but more than 1 is unnecessary. I feel like employees have every right to own "one" as everyone else. It's a perk but should not be exploited.

I agree.

I just think it's a real problem when people start pointing the finger at the store employees as being the problem for the amiibos instantly selling out when we all know Nintendo has been under-shipping them.

Sora_N

Yeah, so I really can't disagree with beta_fuse. There's no way even the dumbest managers won't know that these 'toys' are super hot, they probably get calls every day about it too so it's probably hard for staff to buy them. Just from the kind of people I saw line up this morning, various ages and gender (some girls in line as well).

There's like 20-50 people in line hours before opening, and only 20 or so received per store after all.

I think at the Bowmac store some guy said he actually lined up at 11:30 or something, that's what I heard him say.

EDIT: Man, so tired. Slept for 3 hours last night, couldn't sleep again since I got home from TRU and I got work again tonight. :/

CRA5H

What's funny from the picture of the line on pg 39 is that I think some boyfriends and girlfriends were told by their significant other to line up for them. Hell, I would have asked my girlfriend if she wasn't busy for work as well.

Sora_N

What's funny from the picture of the line on pg 39 is that I think some boyfriends and girlfriends were told by their significant other to line up for them. Hell, I would have asked my girlfriend if she wasn't busy for work as well.

Yeah couldn't ask mine either hahaha.

There was definitely a couple behind me that came, so he can have 2. He looks like he'd be reselling the second one, but at least he made a second person come pick it up lol.

My Lucario shipped! It shipped alone, no trace of the Yoshi I had in the same order.

Edit: With Canada Post Expedited Parcel oh yeah! No Purolator shenanigan!

This is not a shipping thread good god!

I'm bitter ;.;

Haha, what is fun here is that this topic will be all we Canadian Amiibo lover want it to be. Nobody will complain about shipping, us raging on out of stock, F5ing, crying... Feels good!

Sorry that you missed out on it, I'm sure something will get worked out for you.

N° 2048

Would I have a good chance of getting a Megaman Amiibo Monday morning at EBGames? Be honest :p

My 10 year old brother lives a hard life for being only 10 and I would love to get it for him since it's one of his favorite characters.

vinnygambini

Why are strippers at the U.N. bad when they're great at strip clubs???
Haha, what is fun here is that this topic will be all we Canadian Amiibo lover want it to be. Nobody will complain about shipping, us raging on out of stock, F5ing, crying... Feels good!

Sorry that you missed out on it, I'm sure something will get worked out for you.

It's okay. You have fun with your Lucario amiibo, name him vinny for me as a reminder of my troubles lol :p

Top Bottom