• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Canadian Gaming Deals and Discussion Thread 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

DJ_Lae

Yeah, 30-35 is what my reported speed would be all the time when I was with Shaw - really deceptive considering all of your downloads drop to less than half that after about ten seconds. Got really annoying.

Now have Telus' 25mbps offering in my area and it's nice being able to pull 3MB/second downloads from Steam. Along with sale prices it really makes a compelling argument for digital because I can finally download a game faster than I can walk down the street and buy it.

Got White Knight Chronicles yesterday at EB - went ten minutes after the store opened, got the last (only) copy. Game seems alright, although for some reason I wasn't expecting a quasi-MMO.

I also have to figure out my Dark Souls preorders from Best Buy and whether they'll be upgraded to collector's editions (they're $44 ones I made during E3). Right now I have a 360 and a PS3 one ordered, and I'll cancel one version after I hear more about the differences.

I also have them preordered on Amazon as I know they'll get the CE stuff. I guess worst case, I just return the Best Buy orders when they arrive.

kliklik

Banned
Kuro Madoushi said:
I'm on extreme pro with no cap, but extreme would've also been good. I worry about cap (though i don't think tek give a shit) since I have three other users in the house using it.

As for a noticeable increase? Not really. Both are good, but I often have several things going on at once and there can be some stuttering if you're streaming and dling and browsing and other stuff.

This is what I'm getting as of a few mins ago.
1399915857.png

Jesus christ. Here are my results.

1400090487.png

And that costs like $50 a month. I need to leave Bell.

mblitek

For comparisons sake here is my Rogers Extreme:

I live in the very North End of Brampton. Anyone else in Brampton having outages?

kliklik

Banned
So what ISP is the best? I want to switch now. Really badly.

DJ_Lae said:
Now have Telus' 25mbps offering in my area and it's being being able to pull 3MB/second downloads from Steam.

Telus offers internet packages? Where?

DJ_Lae

I pay about $50 for my Optik internet, I think, although it's also only available as a package with TV service. If I didn't have it (25mbps) I would be saddled with their next fastest service in Victoria at 15mbps.

1400141866.png

My post-deal monthly bills are less than Shaw ($140 versus $170, and that includes internet, full TV and phone), I get almost twice as much usable download speed, and four times the upload speed. Can't complain.

And in a year or two when Shaw has a better deal I'll probably switch back (again).

filipe

So very random, but has anyone seen any Gameboy Micros around recently? New or even used? I'm still kicking myself in the ass for not buying the only one I've seen in the past 3 years at The Source.

Heshinsi

"playing" dumb? unpossible
What's Telus' cap rate? I currently get 250GB from Shaw, and anyone using Telus who have previously been on Shaw, could you guys please explain what the pros and cons between the two are? Thanks.

DJ_Lae

Heshinsi said:
What's Telus' cap rate? I currently get 250GB from Shaw, and anyone using Telus who have previously been on Shaw, could you guys please explain what the pros and cons between the two are? Thanks.

The package I've got (Optik Turbo I think) has a 500GB cap, although I've heard a lot of rumours suggesting Telus is not yet able to monitor that usage because both it and your TV use show up as data on their end.

Seems Shaw has a number of new packages out (50 and 100mbps), although like always I'm sure they're only available in Vancouver, Edmonton, Calgary, and not here in Victoria. Looks like they also have some new PVRs, which is good as the old one I had with them was really wearing out its welcome (only records two shows, hideous laggy SD menus, terrible on demand service). Telus' box has the same issues with menu lag, but it's got some neat features that are probably duplicated on the new Shaw one too. Not sure.

I've bounced around between the two companies for the past ten years now and have been pretty happy with both of them - I just change whenever I can get a good deal, or when I can get faster internet. Which just reminds me of that bank commercial where the new kid gets free ice cream while the other one has to sit and watch him eat it. Promotions for new customers just piss me off - so I might as well take advance of them, make them pay their service guys to install my new stuff and then switch back shortly after my promotions end.

Internet speed e-penis? Aww yeah!

1400328888.png

Mississauga. Paying $60 for unlimited bandwidth. What's awesome is that it's peak hour right now and I'm getting twice the speed I am paying for i.e. I'm paying for 15mbps. It's usually way more than 30mbps but I guess this is expected and feasible for a house of 5 PC, 2 PS3s and Netflix-enabled blu-ray player.

Teksavvy. Fuck Yeah!

Magnus

Boo, we're degrading into speed comparisons again, whereby I am made to feel like a chump for using Rogers in Toronto. :(

edit-

lol, thought I'd try it out at this Starbucks I'm at using their Bell wifi service. Look at this nonsense! :) Totally to be expected though. At home I'm more like 9-10 mb, which is still pitiful, but does the job.

Cheerilee

-Pyromaniac- said:
Speedtests on Rogers are pointless because of that BS speedboost.
Also, cable internet is shared. That means that when your neighbor starts a download, your internet speed drops. When you turn on your TV, your speed drops. When your neighbor turns on his TV, your speed drops.

DSL is supposed to be more stable, but your speed can depend on things like the quality of the tubes in your neighborhood, and your distance from quality tubes.

This means that the best choice between cable and DSL can vary between different neighborhoods. And you can't really poll your neighbors to try and find out, because if everyone in your neighborhood knows which one the better choice is, it would change the result. "Oh, DSL is great here? Let's get off cable." = Cable becomes good. "Oh, so cable is better?" = Cable automatically becomes suck.

Magnus said:
Boo, we're degrading into speed comparisons again, whereby I am made to feel like a chump for using Rogers in Toronto. :(

Switch from Rogers?

ruby_onix said:
Also, cable internet is shared. That means that when your neighbor starts a download, your internet speed drops. When you turn on your TV, your speed drops. When your neighbor turns on his TV, your speed drops.

DSL is supposed to be more stable, but your speed can depend on things like the quality of the tubes in your neighborhood, and your distance from quality tubes.

This means that the best choice between cable and DSL can vary between different neighborhoods. And you can't really poll your neighbors to try and find out, because if everyone in your neighborhood knows which one the better choice is, it would change the result. "Oh, DSL is great here? Let's get off cable." = Cable becomes good. "Oh, so cable is better?" = Cable automatically becomes suck.

I've been on DSL for 7 fucking years and Bell's service is piece of shit. Sure, DSL might be great outside Ontario but in Ontario is a piece of shit! The best I could get with my grandfathered account was 7mbps+no cap. Instead of upgrading, they asked me if I wanted to downgrade to 5mbps since they don't offer 7mbps anymore and that's the best they can offer in Mississauga. Fucking bull shit!

I'm heading into the city this coming weekend, any places like Best Buy or FutureShop doing any 360 bundles? Not looking for any Kinect stuff, mind.

filipe

ruby_onix said:

Although this is quite true, sometimes a person can get very lucky. I have Source 16mb/s, and have had it for a number of months now. They only time I wasn't getting full speeds was during the Steam Summer Sale, and that was 'cause Steam was getting hammered itself, not my cable.

Heshinsi

"playing" dumb? unpossible
DJ_Lae said:
The package I've got (Optik Turbo I think) has a 500GB cap, although I've heard a lot of rumours suggesting Telus is not yet able to monitor that usage because both it and your TV use show up as data on their end.

Seems Shaw has a number of new packages out (50 and 100mbps), although like always I'm sure they're only available in Vancouver, Edmonton, Calgary, and not here in Victoria. Looks like they also have some new PVRs, which is good as the old one I had with them was really wearing out its welcome (only records two shows, hideous laggy SD menus, terrible on demand service). Telus' box has the same issues with menu lag, but it's got some neat features that are probably duplicated on the new Shaw one too. Not sure.

I've bounced around between the two companies for the past ten years now and have been pretty happy with both of them - I just change whenever I can get a good deal, or when I can get faster internet. Which just reminds me of that bank commercial where the new kid gets free ice cream while the other one has to sit and watch him eat it. Promotions for new customers just piss me off - so I might as well take advance of them, make them pay their service guys to install my new stuff and then switch back shortly after my promotions end.

Thanks a lot, that really helped. I've been getting non-stop offers from Telus, and I needed some clarifications.

Firestorm

Not a rumour. Telus does not monitor your bandwidth. They haven't been able to for years and who knows if they ever will. My friend works for Shaw. He has not switched his Telus internet. I've been on both as well. I prefer Telus by far.

Magik

A question for those that are already on Teksavvy Cable. If I were to order a modem from Teksavvy, does it come with the rep that does the installation or do they just mail it?

Median

Magik said:
A question for those that are already on Teksavvy Cable. If I were to order a modem from Teksavvy, does it come with the rep that does the installation or do they just mail it?
I just ordered a couple weeks ago, and they mailed it out to me. Shipping was $10, I believe. I'm not due to be set up until the 2nd.

Magik

Median said:
I just ordered a couple weeks ago, and they mailed it out to me. Shipping was $10, I believe. I'm not due to be set up until the 2nd.

Interesting. I wonder if its possible to get them to leave it at a Canada Post Office for me to pick up. My apartment complex isn't the greatest place when it comes with dealing with deliveries.

Median

Magik said:
Interesting. I wonder if its possible to get them to leave it at a Canada Post Office for me to pick up. My apartment complex isn't the greatest place when it comes with dealing with deliveries.
Actually they seem to do that anyways. It was shipped to me with a request to hold it for pickup at my local post office. Thought it was a bit odd, considering I live in a house right now, but meh.

Neki

Firestorm said:
Not a rumour. Telus does not monitor your bandwidth. They haven't been able to for years and who knows if they ever will. My friend works for Shaw. He has not switched his Telus internet. I've been on both as well. I prefer Telus by far.
I'd like Telus more if they didn't have such crappy service. For a month straight, our internet would cut out every 5 minutes, take 2 minutes to reconnect, and then it'd work for another 5 minutes. We called customer service multiple times, and they sent new modems to try alleviate the problem, but it never worked. Haven't had a problem with Shaw once we switched. Only thing is bandwidth caps come with Shaw, but I'll take that over non-existent internet any day.

TheExodu5

Banned
ruby_onix said:

Bell propaganda.

As long as the infrastucture is in place, your speed shouldn't be dropping on cable. I've never had anything less than my maximum rate (w/ Rogers).

With Bell, the service quality would fluctuate, and turn to complete shit during peak hours. The lines may not be shared, but their data centers are inadequately equipped for their load. Bell is known for heavy throttling during peak hours.

I agree it can depend on the neighborhood, but I've yet to see a situation where Rogers during peak goes below Bell's laughable 5mbps.

Grayman

bought a g27 at tiger direct friday and this morning they email me a newsletter with 30 bucks off on it... wheel is in georgia ups atm. Can I demand satisfaction?

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
SickBoy said:
(bitching about this becoming the Canadian Internet Thread goes here)

Normally if any stupid derail thing takes over a community thread (like "post the value of your steam account" in the steam thread), we wait a couple of days and then nudge people back on track. I was going to give it another day or two ;)

Ultimoo said:
I'd like Telus more if they didn't have such crappy service. For a month straight, our internet would cut out every 5 minutes, take 2 minutes to reconnect, and then it'd work for another 5 minutes. We called customer service multiple times, and they sent new modems to try alleviate the problem, but it never worked. Haven't had a problem with Shaw once we switched. Only thing is bandwidth caps come with Shaw, but I'll take that over non-existent internet any day.

Telus is working on bandwidth monitoring. They already have it but they're buried under other issues at the moment and the issues they deem more important are a higher priority at the moment. It's on their "To do list" though.

Shaw is fine as long as they don't get too big/greedy and begin overselling their bandwidth like the big three does.

I live where Shaw used to be and some of the older parts of town on the old Shaw network would have you pulling your hair out.

squall23

Can't we all just say we have different experiences with different ISPs? Clearly some people have no problems with Shaw (such as myself) and clearly some people have no problems with Rogers.

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
Stumpokapow said:
Normally if any stupid derail thing takes over a community thread (like "post the value of your steam account" in the steam thread), we wait a couple of days and then nudge people back on track. I was going to give it another day or two ;)
Ehhh I didn't mean to derail. I'm just a whore for teksavvy.

All of you on Hell/Robbers should be ashamed for not switching cause you're lazy. Honestly, unless your excuse is "I don't get teksavvy in my area" then you suck.

I might needs have a talk with teksavvy not upping my upload speed though. Should be 1mb.

With my time with them so far...
Price has stayed the same
Upgrade to faster speeds (free)
Upgrade to larger cap (free)

What has Rogers done for you?

When I was with them
Raised prices
Put a cap on
Throttled my goddamn bandwidth
Limited my torrents.

Status
Not open for further replies.