• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Canadian Gaming Deals and Discussion Thread 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Socreges

Banned
Firestorm said:
Yeah, I was about to come in here and post the same thing. If you want a 3DS, now is the best time.

1. Purchase 3DS for $199.99
  2. Register for Ambassador Program before Aug 11
  3. Go back to store with receipt for price adjustment
Doing this tonight. Too awesome. Shame that I already own the Ambassador games that they've shown, but I'm hoping there's some more good stuff coming.

SMT

this show is not Breaking Bad why is it not Breaking Bad? it should be Breaking Bad dammit Breaking Bad
It hasn't been confirmed to be August 12th for us Canadians, so our safest bet would be to wait until news hits that Canada will be adjusting the price as part of the global initiative.

Cactus

Banned
SMT said:
It hasn't been confirmed to be August 12th for us Canadians, so our safest bet would be to wait until news hits that Canada will be adjusting the price as part of the global initiative.
I could be wrong, but I think the press release specifically said North America.

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
Cactus said:
I could be wrong, but I think the press release specifically said North America.
REDMOND, Wash., July 28, 2011 – Nintendo of America today announced plans to drop the suggested retail price of its portable Nintendo 3DS™ system to $169.99 in the United States
http://press.nintendo.com/object?id=30048

I'm sure it'll happen here also but I can see Canadians paying an extra $10 for no reason at all.

SMT

this show is not Breaking Bad why is it not Breaking Bad? it should be Breaking Bad dammit Breaking Bad
Cactus said:

Back when Nintendo of 'America' was HQ'd in Vancouver, they couldn't outright ignore us, but now they are following the world-wide trend.

An no, they didn't mention us, if they did, I wouldn't have posted my thoughts.

Socreges

Banned
Thanks for the caution, guys. I guess I'll hold off for now. Hopefully we get word before the weekend (I'll be travelling for about 5 hours total).

lupinko

SMT said:
Back when Nintendo of 'America' was HQ'd in Vancouver, they couldn't outright ignore us, but now they are following the world-wide trend.

An no, they didn't mention us, if they did, I wouldn't have posted my thoughts.

If you meant Nintendo of Canada, that's still in Richmond, BC iirc, Nintendo of America has always been in Redmond, WA. Anyway enough semantics, does anyone know where I can register for those 20 free games, or is that even up yet?

Free Metroid Fusion is just dandy. :D

SMT

lupinko said:
If you meant Nintendo of Canada, that's still in Richmond, BC iirc, Nintendo of America has always been in Redmond, WA. Anyway enough semantics, does anyone know where I can register for those 20 free games, or is that even up yet?

Free Metroid Fusion is just dandy. :D

I mean Nintendo of America used to be based in Vancouver, I'm not talking about their orphaned child. C'mon the history of Nintendo was printed out in a magazine (Nintendo Power), and Nintendo's first official North American HQ was in Canada.

Redmond came later.

Just called Nintendo's PR company, and they confirmed that the price drop also applies to Canada on the same day as well.

lupinko

SMT said:
I mean Nintendo of America used to be based in Vancouver, I'm not talking about their orphaned child. C'mon the history of Nintendo was printed out in a magazine (Nintendo Power), and Nintendo's first official North American HQ was in Canada.

Redmond came later.

You got that issue or any proof? Since everything documented has always mentioned Washington and nothing else, well maybe New York, I forget.

I'm all for patriotic bragging rights
ok not really[/spoiler, but laying claim to something like being the first overseas branch is kinda lame.

SMT

lupinko said:
You got that issue or any proof? Since everything documented has always mentioned Washington and nothing else, well maybe New York, I forget.

I'm all for patriotic bragging rights
ok not really[/spoiler, but laying claim to something like being the first overseas branch is kinda lame.
Well, there's nothing more I can do. :)

Just called Nintendo's PR company, and they confirmed that the price drop also applies to Canada on the same day as well.

SMT

Socreges said:
You might have confused history a bit:
Anyway, doesn't matter.

Thanks for getting the confirmation on the price drop.

Np, at least it came before redmond. ;)

Ulchie

Banned
SickBoy said:
Those are great speeds, but the prices make me realize I'm perfectly satisfied with a reliable 15 Mbps. :)

Still, other than totally botching its initial approach to the question of charging for additional bandwidth (one of the reasons they lost me as a customer, and presumably others), I think they've responded fairly well. Their new caps are much more reasonable IMO, and while they're not for me, their new plans are obviously quite good.
Those prices are WITH TV, just so you're aware, or as an addon to TV for the first price. There are also 50 Mbps plans that I did not list for significantly cheaper, btw. 50 Mbps is actually going to be their base plan, so to speak.

Edit:
Sorry, significantly may be an overstatement. I just double checked and adding 50 Mbps internet to a shaw cable plan is $59/month, about $10 cheaper than 100 Mbps.

Grabbed a 3DS shortly after launch - glad that they're offering this program for early adopters but I've more than gotten my extra $100 of fun out of it.

SMT

So I bought one, and if a new version comes out, I'd be more than willing to buy it, since they are this cheap and neat for the price.

I also got some good goodies for free from best buy, sweet deal ninty, sweat deal.

dream

You know, I've never actually seen a 3DS for myself. I've hit Best Buy, Future Shop, Walmart, Gamestop, etc. and there are no demo kiosks anywhere. Has anyone actually seen a kiosk set up for this thing?

ruby_onix said:
Since nobody has mentioned it in this thread yet...

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=438810

The 3DS price in Japan is officially crashing from ¥25,000 to ¥15,000 in early August.

North America is dropping a little softer from $250 to $170.

As an apology to those who paid too much for the system, early adopters will receive the fancy titles of "Ambassadors" and will be able to download 20 pre-release Virtual Console titles for free.

This means that Wal Mart and Futureshop/Best Buy are jumping the gun on the price drop, and basically charging $30 too much, but it might be worth it if you want into that "Ambassador" program.

Edit: Stumpokapow in the other thread just suggested taking advantage of price protection, so if you want into the Ambassador program, it doesn't even need to cost you $30.

So how do I redeem these games? How do I sign up for Ambassador?

DJ_Lae

dream said:
You know, I've never actually seen a 3DS for myself. I've hit Best Buy, Future Shop, Walmart, Gamestop, etc. and there are no demo kiosks anywhere. Has anyone actually seen a kiosk set up for this thing?

The Best Buy here has a 3DS on a post sticking out from one of the most pathetic 3DS displays I've ever seen. It has maybe a meter of shelving (two shelves, low to the ground, top shelf is empty) with 3DS games and then that demo unit, all greasy and smudged.

Haven't seen one anywhere else, though. Maybe EB has them, I never really pay attentio to the kiosks when I walk in.

DJ_Lae

Firestorm said:
Yeah, I was about to come in here and post the same thing. If you want a 3DS, now is the best time.

1. Purchase 3DS for $199.99
  2. Register for Ambassador Program before Aug 11
  3. Go back to store with receipt for price adjustment

Absolutely.

I'd do it with my 3DS today but according to my receipt I'm two damn days off being able to price match the current $200 sale. Kind of annoying (I certainly haven't gotten $50 of value out of it).

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
DJ_Lae said:
The Best Buy here has a 3DS on a post sticking out from one of the most pathetic 3DS displays I've ever seen. It has maybe a meter of shelving (two shelves, low to the ground, top shelf is empty) with 3DS games and then that demo unit, all greasy and smudged.
Sounds like the BB outside Scarborough Town Centre. The only good thing about it is I've streetpassed with it a few times already.

Brandson

I noticed Amazon.ca has PS Vita preorders at 244.94 now. It's only a whopping $5 off but it's rare for a new console to sell for under MSRP.

Firestorm

Minoru Arakawa first settled in Vancouver with his wife, the daughter of Hiroshi Yamauchi. I think he was in real estate or construction. In a visit back to Japan Yamauchi convinced him to join Nintendo and expand to the west. When they set up Nintendo of America and brought in the NES, they decided to move to New York. I forgot why aside from market research. The story is in Game Over: Press Start to Continue by David Scheff.

Nintendo of Canada was in Richmond, BC but it's now in Vancouver, BC. Moved sometime over the last year and is now near Gilmore Station iirc.

Solune

radiantdreamer said:
So how do I redeem these games? How do I sign up for Ambassador?
These free games are available to anyone who owns a Nintendo 3DS system and uses a wireless broadband Internet signal to connect to the Nintendo eShop at least once before 11:59 p.m. Eastern time on Aug. 11. These users will automatically be registered in the Nintendo 3DS Ambassador program. The program contains two elements:
Starting Sept. 1, Nintendo 3DS Ambassadors will be able to download 10 NES™ Virtual Console™ games at no charge and before they are available in the Nintendo eShop to the general public. These games, including Super Mario Bros.™, Donkey Kong Jr.™, Balloon Fight™, Ice Climber™ and The Legend of Zelda™, are slated to become paid downloadable games, but Ambassadors get them early for free. Once the paid versions of the games are posted to the Nintendo eShop later in the year, the updated versions will be available to Ambassadors for download at no cost.

By the end of 2011, Nintendo will provide Ambassadors with 10 Game Boy Advance Virtual Console games. These include games like Yoshi's Island™: Super Mario™ Advance 3, Mario Kart™: Super Circuit, Metroid™ Fusion, WarioWare™, Inc.: Mega Microgame$ and Mario vs. Donkey Kong™. These games will be available exclusively to Ambassadors, and Nintendo currently has no plans to make these 10 games available to the general public on the Nintendo 3DS in the future.

More details about this program will be announced in the future.

Remember that Nintendo 3DS features parental controls that let adults manage the content their children can access. For more information about this and other features, visit http://www.nintendo.com/3ds.

Taken from the main thread. http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=438810

StevieP

Banned
CloakedPuppet said:
Grabbed a 3DS shortly after launch - glad that they're offering this program for early adopters but I've more than gotten my extra $100 of fun out of it.

Well at least I don't feel as screwed for being an early adopter.

Solune said:

Oooh thanks for that!

Just happened to drop by EB today, and the guy says the Catherine delay seems to be Canada-wide, and a lot of the big companies are the ones taking the hit. Rumor has it that someone broke street-date, so the manufacturer delayed distribution. Really big grain of salt.

EB's cut-off for the preorders were three weeks ago. I wonder what Amazon's was. I preordered pretty late...

dream

radiantdreamer said:
Oooh thanks for that!

Just happened to drop by EB today, and the guy says the Catherine delay seems to be Canada-wide, and a lot of the big companies are the ones taking the hit. Rumor has it that someone broke street-date, so the manufacturer delayed distribution. Really big grain of salt.

EB's cut-off for the preorders were three weeks ago. I wonder what Amazon's was. I preordered pretty late...

Is that just for the special edition? Because I've seen the standard edition everywhere.

gillty

Banned
Firestorm said:
Nintendo of Canada was in Richmond, BC but it's now in Vancouver, BC. Moved sometime over the last year and is now near Gilmore Station iirc.
Two stations over at Renfrew Station in Broadway Tech Centre

http://www.gamestop.ca/gs/specialty/tradeins/default.aspx?cid=soc_10000383

Save $60 on a brand new 3DS console
WHEN YOU TRADE IN A SELECT OLD DS SYSTEM

Don't forget...Get $25 trade credit for each game traded towards the 3DS

Offer valid on DS Lite, DSi and DSi XL. Offer valid through July 31, 2011. While quantities last. Trade must include all applicable accessories. Applies to titles with a minimum $8 trade value only. Valid on PlayStation 3, PSP, Wii, Nintendo DS, 3DS and Xbox 360 games. Games must include boxes and instructions. No duplicate titles accepted. Some titles may be excluded. No dealers please. Limit one per customer. Offer valid in Canada only. See sales associate for complete details.

Might jump on this instead.

I saw on GameDealsCanada that Walmart was supposed to have the wired 360 controller on for $15... but when I went to the store it was still $49. Did anyone have any luck with this deal? Or was it possibly in error? (Or was it one day only?)

dream said:
Is that just for the special edition? Because I've seen the standard edition everywhere.

Yeah, special edition. Mind you, my local EB only has two copies of the regular 360 version left. Everything else was gone.

Takao

Banned
So a while back I ordered some things off of Play-Asia at a total around $50 (pre-shipping). What are the chances I get dinged for Customs? How much would it (probably) cost in Ontario?

MPW

img0366bd.jpg

Hanzou

Kazerei said:
Just got back from Costco in Kingston Ontario and can confirm the 3DS is already $169.99

GO GO GO BUY BUY BUY

But I still don't want it at $169. I just want the free games haha.

Roto13

Ok, these sales and early price drops are making it very difficult for me to contain my self loathing for buying a 3DS at $250 last month when I kept telling myself I would wait.

Vamphuntr

Takao said:
So a while back I ordered some things off of Play-Asia at a total around $50 (pre-shipping). What are the chances I get dinged for Customs? How much would it (probably) cost in Ontario?

Usually you don't pay customs if it's under 40$ but YMMV.

Ulchie

Banned
Roto13 said:
Ok, these sales and early price drops are making it very difficult for me to contain my self loathing for buying a 3DS at $250 last month when I kept telling myself I would wait.
LOL ya I was about to purchase a used one but I decided to wait due to the issues with the screen. Boy am I ever glad. Now I just have to wait for a redesign to come out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom