• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Canadian Gaming Deals and Discussion Thread 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ulchie

Banned
Shaw is in the process of upgrading thEir speeds. Affordable 250 Mbps thanks to the digital switch on august 31st.

sikkinixx

Got a call from EB in Coquitlam. Said my copy of Catherine has been delayed due to something from head office. Anyone else get delayed? I better get my fucking soundtrack or I will lose my shit.

sikkinixx said:
Got a call from EB in Coquitlam. Said my copy of Catherine has been delayed due to something from head office. Anyone else get delayed? I better get my fucking soundtrack or I will lose my shit.

Same with the EB in Richmond Centre, and I'm pissed.

Reich

t8409l.jpg

schlew

ReverseFate said:
Same with the EB in Richmond Centre, and I'm pissed.

Yeah, my store in Oshawa told me that their copies got shipped to Ohio.

Whats worse is that they told me Atlus lifted the release date embargo, that way if they got it in early they could have put it out right away. They said they expect it on Wednesday or Thursday.

Hey, does anyone know where to get Japanese DS titles in the GTA? I want to get a copy of Ouendan 2 and online is my last resort. It'd be awesome if I could find a place. I know A&C has the first but I'm really looking for the second. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

TheExodu5

Banned
sikkinixx said:
Got the same call in Ottawa. I just went to Microplay at lunch and picked it up there.

AnkiRendan said:
Hey, does anyone know where to get Japanese DS titles in the GTA? I want to get a copy of Ouendan 2 and online is my last resort. It'd be awesome if I could find a place. I know A&C has the first but I'm really looking for the second. Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Pacific mall maybe your best bet, but you might be better off online with their prices.

Gamejunky said:
Anyone know what the EB daily deal is?
It's over.

dream

I'm pretty sure I'm the only person that was waiting to pick up Infamous 2 on the cheap but, yea, I went to Walmart and it was still priced at $60 but it scanned in for $40 and I am moderately pleased.

Mikey Jr.

TheExodu5 said:
Just got a message from Rogers while I was surfing:

My 25mbps, 120GB/mo package has been upgraded to 32mbps, 150GB. Score!

The fuck is this?

Is my 60gb package going to get upgraded?

Damn you.

DJ_Lae

sikkinixx said:

My Amazon preorder was delayed as well (game shows up as out of stock).

Kind of annoying, as I preordered it ages ago.

Firestorm

sikkinixx said:
My friend was able to pick up his PS3 Special Edition pre-order just fine from Waterloo Conestoga Mall.

Vamphuntr

So the 3DS rumour is true. 199$ at Wal-Mart. Is this a price drop for all retailers?

My Amazon preorder was delayed as well (game shows up as out of stock).

Kind of annoying, as I preordered it ages ago.

Amazon always showed new releases as out of stock for me. They rarely do same day shipping in Canada. They will ship it to you soon. Unless you got a email saying it is delayed then they do have it.

lupinko

Vamphuntr said:
So the 3DS rumour is true. 199$ at Wal-Mart. Is this a price drop for all retailers?

Amazon always showed new releases as out of stock for me. They rarely do same day shipping in Canada. They will ship it to you soon. Unless you got a email saying it is delayed then they do have it.

It looks like Walmart is only doing a random sale for 3DS.

jokkir

Nintendo 3DS both $199 @ Futureshop & Best Buy until July 31st:

http://www.futureshop.ca/en-CA/category/consoles/30201.aspx
http://www.bestbuy.ca/en-CA/category/nintendo-3ds-hardware/30198.aspx

No need to wait for Walmart!

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
Wish I got to the Superstore in time to get some Microsoft Points cards. Halo, Gears, Fable, Crackdown 2 and Forza DLC, along with ME2's Shadow Broker, Stolen Memories and Arrival all 50% off on Xbox Marketplace.

Firestorm

Lyphen said:
Wish I got to the Superstore in time to get some Microsoft Points cards. Halo, Gears, Fable, Crackdown 2 and Forza DLC, along with ME2's Shadow Broker, Stolen Memories and Arrival all 50% off on Xbox Marketplace.
Thanks for the heads up. Was wondering when the ME2 sale would start. Grabbed Arrival.

Hamster0

The walmart sales end like on the 8th of august, but the BS/FS sales ends on sunday, couldn't you just wait until monday to PM?

isny

napkin dispenser
I don't think we've ever seen a new console have a price drop, even temporarily, this soon after release.

I wonder if this is Nintendo offering a discount, or the retailers trying to move dead stock.

StevieP

Banned
isny said:
I don't think we've ever seen a new console have a price drop, even temporarily, this soon after release.

I wonder if this is Nintendo offering a discount, or the retailers trying to move dead stock.

Margins are extremely low on hardware (yes, even Nintendo hardware). This would likely be Nintendo offering rebates to the retailers.

Mikey Jr.

Lyphen said:

Shadow Broker still shows as 800, and Arrival as 560.

Stumpokapow said:
Catherine had shipping problems country-wide of at least a day, sometimes longer.

Mine shows ship date of Jul 29th, with an estimated delivery of Aug 5-10th.

It's out of stock right now. I'm anxious because I preordered late for my Deluxe Edition. Anyone else have the same problems?

TheExodu5

Banned
Stumpokapow said:
Catherine had shipping problems country-wide of at least a day, sometimes longer.

Not for Microplay. :D

My EB in Ottawa got it in today as well, though I had to cancel the order since I got it from Microplay yesterday.

Ulchie

Banned
i-Lo said:
25 or 250?

Also what's the bandwidth cap?
250 Mbps, Yes. Proper 0 on there. Basically, 31.25 MBps. For the first time, the limitation will not be between me and my ISP. I'm so stoked. I can't wait for the 250 Mbps connection. So badass. I think I might have to upgrade my router though. It's pretty old and I'm not sure it can handle such speeds.

Should be sometime later this year. As for bandwidth cap...lemme see here.

Basically, the first number is download speed, second number is upload speed, 3rd number is data cap, and 4th number is the price to add on to legacy shaw TV packages, and the last number is the new basic cable plan + internet price.

Phase 2 Broadband Packages (Rolling Launch Starting August, 2011)

Broadband 100:
100 Mbps DL, 10 Mbps UL, cap 500 GB, Add $69.00, packaged with basic cable $94.90

Broadband 100+ (higher cap version of 100)
100 Mbps DL, 10 Mbps UL, cap 750 GB, Add $79.00, packaged with basic cable 104.90

Broadband 250
250 Mbps DL, 15 Mbps UL, 1 TB cap, Add $99.00, packaged with basic cable $124.90

Unlimited 250
250 Mbps DL, 15 Mbps UL, Unlimited Data, Add $119, packaged with basic cable $144.90

The above does not include their 50 Mbps packages which are gonna be pretty basic. Didn't bother including those prices.

Ulchie

Banned
RS4- said:
Wow, I wish I had shaw cable offered in Markham lol; those are ridiculous speeds
Well with the analog to digital transition, Shaw's infrastructure had something like 60-80% of it's bandwidth open up suddenly. No need to send expensive analog signals on every cable anymore. If they tried to go for this transition any sooner than was mandated by law, the user backlash would be too huge. Many people still have just the coaxial cable with no set top box for cable television.

MPW said:
mass effect 2 (ps3) finally gets a price drop

39.99 @ eb

pm fs/bb to get it for 2 bucks less

I played this on 360. Is it really worth a double dip. I found ME2 so much more linear than ME1. Can you really do things that much differently?

SickBoy

Ulchie said:
250 Mbps, Yes. Proper 0 on there. Basically, 31.25 MBps. For the first time, the limitation will not be between me and my ISP. I'm so stoked. I can't wait for the 250 Mbps connection. So badass. I think I might have to upgrade my router though. It's pretty old and I'm not sure it can handle such speeds.

Should be sometime later this year. As for bandwidth cap...lemme see here.

Basically, the first number is download speed, second number is upload speed, 3rd number is data cap, and 4th number is the price to add on to legacy shaw TV packages, and the last number is the new basic cable plan + internet price.

Phase 2 Broadband Packages (Rolling Launch Starting August, 2011)

Broadband 100:
100 Mbps DL, 10 Mbps UL, cap 500 GB, Add $69.00, packaged with basic cable $94.90

Broadband 100+ (higher cap version of 100)
100 Mbps DL, 10 Mbps UL, cap 750 GB, Add $79.00, packaged with basic cable 104.90

Broadband 250
250 Mbps DL, 15 Mbps UL, 1 TB cap, Add $99.00, packaged with basic cable $124.90

Unlimited 250
250 Mbps DL, 15 Mbps UL, Unlimited Data, Add $119, packaged with basic cable $144.90

The above does not include their 50 Mbps packages which are gonna be pretty basic. Didn't bother including those prices.

Those are great speeds, but the prices make me realize I'm perfectly satisfied with a reliable 15 Mbps. :)

Still, other than totally botching its initial approach to the question of charging for additional bandwidth (one of the reasons they lost me as a customer, and presumably others), I think they've responded fairly well. Their new caps are much more reasonable IMO, and while they're not for me, their new plans are obviously quite good.

i-Lo

I am really happy with Teksavvy right now with 15mbps but those Shaw speeds are mouth watering and the bandwidth cap isn't bad either (I get 300GB/month).

I have to say compared to Shaw, Rogers and Bell are filthy blood suckers. So fucking hate Bell for UBB bullshit. Glad that wholesalers like Teksavvy exist.

Stumpokapow said:
I was able to pick up a copy on release day from a local independent retailer.

I think it might of just been the big companies that were affected.

Leeness

I have a question about that Futureshop deal that everyone took advantage of around e3.

Does anyone have any idea yet as to what is going to happen with the Team ICO collection? Like, right now on the site, it's at $59.99, and with the five games for $20 off each, right now, I'm getting it for the ~low low price~ of $39.99.

But isn't it supposed to be $39.99 retail anyway? That's what ebgames.ca says.

Does anyone know if we're going to get it for the actual price, plus the $20 off (IE: $19.99), or if they're going to rip us off and our ~discount~ will be to get it for the same price that it goes for in retail?

If no one knows yet, I guess we'll see! I'm gonna keep an eye on it, though.

big_z

^^^

You will pay whatever price was there when you preordered minus your discount.

So if a $60 game drops msrp to $50 before release and you have a $10 discount you will still pay $50. You will have to call or email them after your game ships to get a refund for the discount amount.

Leeness

Boooooooooo. Thanks for the reply, despite the fact that I don't like it, haha.

I mean, there's no point in cancelling it, cause I'd be getting it for $39.99 anyway, and I can't get a different game with the deal, so...

Maybe I'll whine at them when it gets closer to release and see what happens. :p

Cheerilee

Vamphuntr said:
jokkir said:
Since nobody has mentioned it in this thread yet...

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=438810

The 3DS price in Japan is officially crashing from ¥25,000 to ¥15,000 in early August.

North America is dropping a little softer from $250 to $170.

As an apology to those who paid too much for the system, early adopters will receive the fancy titles of "Ambassadors" and will be able to download 20 pre-release Virtual Console titles for free.

This means that Wal Mart and Futureshop/Best Buy are jumping the gun on the price drop, and basically charging $30 too much, but it might be worth it if you want into that "Ambassador" program.

Edit: Stumpokapow in the other thread just suggested taking advantage of price protection, so if you want into the Ambassador program, it doesn't even need to cost you $30.

Firestorm

Yeah, I was about to come in here and post the same thing. If you want a 3DS, now is the best time.

1. Purchase 3DS for $199.99
  2. Register for Ambassador Program before Aug 11
  3. Go back to store with receipt for price adjustment

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
I get back from vacation and find out I'm getting a bunch of free games for my 3DS? Nice.

Cactus

Banned
Firestorm said:
Yeah, I was about to come in here and post the same thing. If you want a 3DS, now is the best time.

1. Purchase 3DS for $199.99
  2. Register for Ambassador Program before Aug 11
  3. Go back to store with receipt for price adjustment
Out of curiosity, how long is price adjustment offered at Walmart/FS/BB after the initial purchase?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom